Joshua King

Decotron

thanks as always jb. Hate hyping younsters up too much but Ive never seen a player make the step up from the academy so quickly and comfortably. Kiko and Welbeck included.

I wished he was on the bench against Sunderland, Fergie thought about it aswell apprently.

jb8521

thanks as always jb. Hate hyping younsters up too much but Ive never seen a player make the step up from the academy so quickly and comfortably. Kiko and Welbeck included.

I wished he was on the bench against Sunderland, Fergie thought about it aswell apprently.
Didnt know that did Fergie say it in an interview or what?

Decotron

Didnt know that did Fergie say it in an interview or what?
At the end of an interview (on MUTV i think) Fergie mentioned King ( again I think it was in regard to his performance for the reserves so Im pretty sure it was on MUTV) He said something along the lines of....it might be a little too soon for him for the bench at the weekend.

Its great to know he's in the managers thoughts. Maybe Im reading too much into this but I sense the lad is after impressing bigtime.

Im interested to see what the likes of MUJAC and PS18 think or have heard......

Laphroaig

Gambia target Manchester United striker for Under 17 World Championships

Manchester United striker Josh King is being targeted to represent Gambia in the Under-17 World Championships this month.

The 17-year-old is highly regarded at Old Trafford and is tipped to make an impact similar to fellow striking wonderkids Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda.

King, born in Oslo, qualifies to play for Gambia through his father, but boss Ferguson may have concerns about giving his consent.

The starlet suffered an injury-hit campaign last year and has only just returned to full fitness.
Source. He'll decline of course. A bit of a long shot by Gambia. He's grown up in Norway, and has a very good shot at becoming a regular for the national side there.

jb8521

To be eligible for under 17 you have to be born in 93 I would have thought

PS18

"In addition to the above provision, each Participating Member Association shall ensure that all players of its representative team were born on or after 1 January 1992."

Anyone born on or after that date will be 17 of course so that makes sense. Brady was born 15/1/92.

jb8521

"In addition to the above provision, each Participating Member Association shall ensure that all players of its representative team were born on or after 1 January 1992."

Anyone born on or after that date will be 17 of course so that makes sense. Brady was born 15/1/92.
Oh right so its actually last years under 17s who got them there which makes sense. To be eligible for this years under 17s is 93 though isnt it

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Apparently him and Corry Evans are off to Glasgow Rangers for a loan spell in January.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I cannot see that happening.. I would think SAF will want to keep King here long enough for him to be considered as Home Grown as per the Uefa Regulations for the CL.. I am not 100% sure of what the exact rule is (and would hope someone would post it here) but I am sure he isn't in that category yet!

twitter thread suggester
I had such high hopes for Lee Martin when he went on loan to Rangers, hopefully King won't follow in Martin's footsteps, if he goes on loan to Rangers.

Doubt the story is true though, Rangers have been linked with all of our youngsters the last couple of years.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I just think we're better off keeping him in house. I wouldn't loan him out at all, so hopefully he'll get his chances here

Personally all he really needed to do was start scoring as he was showing good things.

PS18

Oh right so its actually last years under 17s who got them there which makes sense. To be eligible for this years under 17s is 93 though isnt it
Well I'd guess King would still count as an under 17 now given he is still 17. Next year he won't though obviously.

jb8521

Well I'd guess King would still count as an under 17 now given he is still 17. Next year he won't though obviously.
Yeah the likes of Morrison and Keane are playing under 17 for England this season and are 93 so it must be from last years qualifying which would have been 92

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I had such high hopes for Lee Martin when he went on loan to Rangers, hopefully King won't follow in Martin's footsteps, if he goes on loan to Rangers.

Doubt the story is true though, Rangers have been linked with all of our youngsters the last couple of years.
Never really had much hope for Martin, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

I think he was a bit too Downing-ish for my liking.

PS18

Yeah the likes of Morrison and Keane are playing under 17 for England this season and are 93 so it must be from last years qualifying which would have been 92
'Under' in the context of football age groups has always generally meant 'Under or including' though, so even using strict U17 criteria this year King would qualify I think. Fairly irrelevant anyway I guess.

Eriku

The fact that King is already being whispered about making up the numbers on the bench in the Premiership is encouraging stuff. His play thus far has reminded me of the style of the Brazilian Ronaldo of old; no hesitation, runs at players, always seems to have the feet to get out of trouble, has a good eye for a finish... Not saying his ability is the same, but the style is, and if his encouraging start continues then I'm excited for Norway and United alike :)

Crerand Legend

Looks like he is going to Rangers along with Corey Evans on loan, would have preferred myself he stayed here

datura

I'd be shocked if King went there, Evans less so bit even then, unless they were to be guaranteed some first team starts it would appear pretty pointless.

Last year they were supposed to get Macheda and Possebon if I remember correctly so it's probably a load of bollocks.

PS18

Don't think there's a chance in hell King goes there any time soon. Not sure the rumour was from a particularly reliable source, like the Possebon/Macheda one wasn't.

Crerand Legend

where'd you hear that?
Rangers set to raid Old Trafford for two youngsters
By Editor
for Scotzine.com

Published: October 15, 2009
Comment Email This Post Print This Post

Rangers are set to bring in two Manchester United youngsters in the January transfer window in a bid to strengthen the side. Corry Evans - brother of Johnny - and young Norwegian striker Joshua King are expected to join Rangers on loan till the end of the season.

Northern Ireland Under-21 midfielder Evans, made his full international debut against Italy last month, has been playing in central defence for the United reserves and the move will be seen as a good way to gain first team experience, however with the likes of Madjid Bougherra, David Weir, Kirk Broadfoot and Danny Wilson all vying for a spot in the side, the move is more about adding depth to the squad than bringing in someone who can play first team football straight away.

King, made his United debut against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Carling Cup earlier this season and is set to join the Rangers until the end of the season, to help bolster Rangers attacking options.

oskarutd

As I said in another thread. His agent has said in the Aftenposten that King will not be leaving. He said the same thing more or less to the Gambian authorities.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

I tend to agree and certainly in more recent times......but Norman Whiteside and Ryan Giggs were two exceptional talents at that age level and the two most impressive youngsters I have ever seen. Particularly Norman.

Although Duncan Edwards records put everyone to shame......he went from the 'A' team straight into the first team and stayed there! He only ever played a handful of reserve team games. He played for England Schools two years below his age group (13 years old)......and in United's first team at 16.

Phenomenal talent......

Norman Whiteside was only 16 when he made his debut....in a period when managers didn't really give youth a chance. Hughes was 17, McGarvey the same.

Giggs was 17 too and clearly made the jump without blinking.

King looks incredibly mature and has great qualities. Fergie will manage him properly......

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
At the end of an interview (on MUTV i think) Fergie mentioned King ( again I think it was in regard to his performance for the reserves so Im pretty sure it was on MUTV) He said something along the lines of....it might be a little too soon for him for the bench at the weekend.

Its great to know he's in the managers thoughts. Maybe Im reading too much into this but I sense the lad is after impressing bigtime.

Im interested to see what the likes of MUJAC and PS18 think or have heard......
Gently....gently.....

datura

I tend to agree and certainly in more recent times......but Norman Whiteside and Ryan Giggs were two exceptional talents at that age level and the two most impressive youngsters I have ever seen. Particularly Norman.

Although Duncan Edwards records put everyone to shame......he went from the 'A' team straight into the first team and stayed there! He only ever played a handful of reserve team games. He played for England Schools two years below his age group (13 years old)......and in United's first team at 16.

Phenomenal talent......

Norman Whiteside was only 16 when he made his debut....in a period when managers didn't really give youth a chance. Hughes was 17, McGarvey the same.

Giggs was 17 too and clearly made the jump without blinking.

King looks incredibly mature and has great qualities. Fergie will manage him properly......
What's probably more impressive is that he missed a lot of last season through injuries (and a niggly ankle injury at the start of this season) yet it hasn't hampered his development in the slightest. Maybe watching Macheda and Welbeck getting their opportunities really focused him as he's been fantastic so far this year and his all round game is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I'd like to see him work on his aerial ability (same as Welbeck) as for a player of his height he should be more of a threat than he is, and his finishing is not up there with some of our other strikers (although he's becoming far more efficient).

jb8521

What's probably more impressive is that he missed a lot of last season through injuries (and a niggly ankle injury at the start of this season) yet it hasn't hampered his development in the slightest. Maybe watching Macheda and Welbeck getting their opportunities really focused him as he's been fantastic so far this year and his all round game is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I'd like to see him work on his aerial ability (same as Welbeck) as for a player of his height he should be more of a threat than he is, and his finishing is not up there with some of our other strikers (although he's becoming far more efficient).
Paul McGuinnes was talking on young gifted and red and was saying that his application since preseason started has been incredible and hes been a lot more focused in his training and shooting sessions and you can see its really paying off as his finishing has been a lot more composed this season. I think his aerial ability can be very good and is already ahead of Welbecks and Machedas because he has a huge leap, he hasnt really shown it this season but in the past particularly in the milk cup showed he can be a real handful in the air.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Thats quite a complement for King coming from you, isnt? You are usually very leavel-headed compared with several others who have such passion for acadamy-football.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Dennis Irwin was out here in the studio for the PL matches this weekend, and said to keep an eye out for King, as he was a star in the making.