Jota | Ex-Celtic and now unregistered Saudi League player

tomaldinho1

Fun fact: Many of the state-owned and Saudi clubs have also not paid some of their players wages including Lewis Grabban former Nottingham Forest.
That was resolved a while back - the club got a transfer ban so they paid him immediately.

RuudTom83

Fun fact: Many of the state-owned and Saudi clubs have also not paid some of their players wages including Lewis Grabban former Nottingham Forest.
Yeah and from memory, I believe that was for a relatively low figure...now imagine the insane amount of money they will be giving out every week this season. Maybe I'm being cynical but if any of these big names pick up an injury and have to be out for 4-6 months...they might find a few of their payslips not arriving on time haha.

But I'm only half joking, we will need to wait and see how this Saudi League continues...especially once Ronaldo decides the desert life isn't for him anymore.

lifted

FIFPro also say that non payment of wages in Saudi Arabia is 'a recurring problem'.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Seems an insane situation tbh. He definitely is not that bad a player, must have been some stuff said or done behind the scenes.
Nothing much to analyse, they have foreign limits on squad roster on Saudi Arabia and they opted to leave Jota out of the squad.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Could we loan him depending on the Sancho/Antony situations?

Despite what people have suggested on here he is pretty decent on the right, and I really rate him as a player.

Dannn411

Saw him once or twice at Celtic. He's a pretty good player. What an insane situation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems an insane situation tbh. He definitely is not that bad a player, must have been some stuff said or done behind the scenes.
Yeah, or just shows how insane the finances are over in Saudi that they can spend 25m on a player and then discard them with ease!

glasgow 21

Yeah, or just shows how insane the finances are over in Saudi that they can spend 25m on a player and then discard them with ease!
Nothing to do with finances or anything football related. Do some research you will discover the answer.

Mwooyo

Funny thing is he has more technical qualities to beat a man or make a pass rather than people like Anthony or mount. Mount is the one ten hag signing that still doesnt make sense at all...

Bojan Djordjic

Bit of a short-sighted move on the Saudi's part as it would surely discourage non-superstar players from signing for Saudi clubs if they think this kind of thing can happen and they could potentially lose a year of their career to these greedy idiots seeing a shinier toy in the shop window.

Cloud7

Part of me thinks that with this league being run by the saudi royalty that they can change the laws relating to these contracts at will if they so desire as well? Because who can challenge them on their own laws? Or am I over simplifying things?

C'est Moi Cantona

Funny thing is he has more technical qualities to beat a man or make a pass rather than people like Anthony or mount. Mount is the one ten hag signing that still doesnt make sense at all...
A bit of cheap shot just for the sake of it, and here was me thinking this was the Jota thread.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Unregistered Saudi player Jota is better than Antony and Mount. Sure.

Rockets Redglare

If you think Jota is half the player of either of those two then I don’t think football is for you.

Red00012

Ah here :lol:

Mwooyo

Unregistered Saudi player Jota is better than Antony and Mount. Sure.
Still missing the point on all this. I said technical qualities on the ball. The best qualities of Anthony and mount are actually off the ball in the defensive phase. If you dont see why fans have been unimpressed with Anthony, then its you who doesnt know ball. When was the last time either of them beat a man...or assisted. Jota is unregistered because he made the wrong move for his career at this point and he found out that saudi isnt all that. That doesn't mean his technical qualities on the ball are not better than those of mount/Anthony at least based on his season last year. Said it before we went for Anthony that we ought to have gone for olise....same thing with mount. Time will tell though

Varun1

Part of me thinks that with this league being run by the saudi royalty that they can change the laws relating to these contracts at will if they so desire as well? Because who can challenge them on their own laws? Or am I over simplifying things?
Am with you on this, their country, their league, their rules ... Unless the international press picks up on it, who's going to kick up a fuss!
Saying that, for all we know, maybe Jota stepped out of line big time. But we would have heard about it if so.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why buy him then? I mean I know they can afford it, but just seems a total waste of money and of Jota's time too.
But then why would they buy him?
These hiring frenzy are state sponsored, they are basically hiring and dismissing a lot of players without much criteria, and if someone better comes, they will release someone who they see as less important for their "brand".

The problem is that only 3 or 4 clubs are included in this project, while the others might have some luck with a loan, but don't have the financial power to get anywhere near a top player. Yes, there will be a lot of big names in this league, but it will create a huge power unbalance