Jota | Ex-Celtic and now unregistered Saudi League player

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Been awhile since I made a scout report about Portuguese prospects so figured I would do this one to start the discussion for a player that I believe will be in the premier league very soon. Even as a Sporting fan I can recognize talented players from our rivals.

NAME: João Pedro Neves Filipe (Jota)
POSITION: Winger
HEIGHT: 5'9
NATIONALITY: Portuguese

I am sure the Celtic fans know who this is but I am talking about Jota (23) who is a former Benfica player who officially signed a permanent deal with Celtics for 8M this summer. Jota is part of the same generation of Benfica youth products such as Joao Felix and Ruben Dias. After being unable to break into the Benfica team which is normal for a lot of players from their youth academy like Cancelo or Bernardo Silva and also failing to make a impact at Real Valladolid, Jota was loaned to Celtic last season. What a move that ended up being for him as he finally found his feet and became an instant fan favorite scoring 13 goals while also grabbing 14 assists helping lead Celtic to the title. Jota displayed mouthwatering performances as well as having a great partnership with other host of really talented attacking talent playing their trade at Celtic Park. Celtic most likely had more enticing offers or even the chance to stay at Benfica but he found his home in Scotland where he has really been able to enjoy his football.

PLAYSTYLE:

- Jota is a very skillful winger who primarily likes to operate on the left. Jota like many Portuguese players is very silky on the ball using deceptive body feints and step over to get passed his man. Comes off like a showboat at times especially at youth level but at Celtic has really been able to add a end product to his play thanks to their progressive style of play. Jota enjoys cutting in a lot and is quite a good passer and crosser of the ball. His movement with the ball at times reminds me of Joao Felix and you can tell they were brought up together.

STRENGHTS:

Dribbling, Passing, Crossing, anticipation, creative

WEAKNESSES:

Shooting (despite his 13 goals last season this is a area that needs work), speed (not the fastest for a winger but his skill on the ball makes him deceptive), heading, Showboating (sometimes he is a bit too flashy).

POTENTIAL TRANSFERS AND VALUATION ?
Due to playing in Scotland and the exposure of the SPFL to the EPL I have no doubt that scouts will be looking at him if he performs at a similar level next season. Particularly with the possibility of champions league exposure against a broader audience. I could easily see Jota at a trampoline club like Wolves where he would fit their philosophy of buying Portuguese talent before earning his way into a bigger club. Due to Jota playing in Celtic I can see him being poached for 30M which I believe would be a record sale for Celtics if I am not mistaken. Jota is only 23 and is starting to hit his stride at the right time to garnish a big money move in the near future.

SCOUTING VIDEOS:
Below will be a couple of videos that all of us internet scouts love to watch!

AS ALWAYS IF YOU ENJOY THESE PLAYER PROFILES LET ME KNOW AND I WILL KEEP THEM COMING!

cj_sparky

Thought he was quality whenever I watched Celtic last season.

Just over 8 years since he was on trial training at Carrington.

SportingCP96

Supports
Thought he was quality whenever I watched Celtic last season.

Just over 8 years since he was on trial training at Carrington.
Seems to have really found his home at Celtics. Strikes me as a confidence player similar Nani.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Watched him couple of times and he was very good, very lively player. I was more impressed with Asian players they had in those games but this guy was so good.

SportingCP96

Supports
Watched him couple of times and he was very good, very lively player. I was more impressed with Asian players they had in those games but this guy was so good.
Celtic have a host of real attacking talent that play an attractive brand of football due to their head coaches's attractive style of play. The asian lad you are talking about is Kyogo who I suspect will make a move next summer.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Will be interesting to see with Celtic and their good players if they can make the European step up, both for the players and Celtic being able to get the max fee for them. Bassey, Aribo etc. wouldn't be leaving Rangers for big money if they didn't have those EL performances along with their SPL exploits.

Glorio

There's that other guy in Celtic - Reo is it??? Absolutely sizzling every time I've seen him. Personally, I think he's their best player

SportingCP96

Supports
There's that other guy in Celtic - Reo is it??? Absolutely sizzling every time I've seen him. Personally, I think he's their best player
Hatate Yes! They have done well to explore the Japanese market and have found great value their. Of the Japanese bunch I believe Kyogo has been the best.

In terms of potential and upside as well as which player will give them the most revenue I believe it will be Jota.

Could be a little bias their but I would love to see the input of other Celtics fans on who their best player is.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Which of Celtic's recent players have made the jump to proper big club football ?
Only VVD comes to my mind.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Which of Celtic's recent players have made the jump to proper big club football ?
Tierney as well but he's injury prone. Dembele is with Lyon. Edouard disappointed a bit at Palace so far. Wanyama was good for Spurs for a while.

SportingCP96

Supports
Played that went on to make big moves ya I believe it is VVD.

However I think Jota could make some similar moves if he has another good season. 13 goals and 14 assists is a fantastic output for a player with so much flair.

SportingCP96

Supports
Will be interesting to see with Celtic and their good players if they can make the European step up, both for the players and Celtic being able to get the max fee for them. Bassey, Aribo etc. wouldn't be leaving Rangers for big money if they didn't have those EL performances along with their SPL exploits.
Bassey was an excellent buy by Ajax.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Tierney as well but he's injury prone. Dembele is with Lyon. Edouard disappointed a bit at Palace so far. Wanyama was good for Spurs for a while.
Oh yeah him as well, to be honest I don't rate him that much but he did make a move to an elite club .
Played that went on to make big moves ya I believe it is VVD.

However I think Jota could make some similar moves if he has another good season. 13 goals and 14 assists is a fantastic output for a player with so much flair.
History doesn't bode well for the lad, Scottish football's quality is kinda dismal to be honest but there's always someone who breaks the norm.

Let's see if he makes it or not.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'd say Kyogo is a better player, but Hatate looks a lovely footballer. Will be good to see a full season of him, he joined halfway through last season.
The only thing about Kyogo is he's going to be 28 in January. So in terms of who is more likely to make a big money move, just purely due to age I'd say Hatate & Jota are more likely.

SportingCP96

Supports
Oh yeah him as well, to be honest I don't rate him that much but he did make a move to an elite club .

History doesn't bode well for the lad, Scottish football's quality is kinda dismal to be honest but there's always someone who breaks the norm.

Let's see if he makes it or not.
Ya I mean he is a Benfica boy and I tend to be hesitant with their players but I must say I have been quite impressed with Jota and his quality.

SportingCP96

Supports
The only thing about Kyogo is he's going to be 28 in January. So in terms of who is more likely to make a big money move, just purely due to age I'd say Hatate & Jota are more likely.
I agree, I think those two have the most upside on the team.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ya I mean he is a Benfica boy and I tend to be hesitant with their players but I must say I have been quite impressed with Jota and his quality.
True, the fecker seem to be running a ponzie scheme with the cash they manage to squeeze out of others.

As you said yourself he's someone worth keeping an eye on.

SportingCP96

Supports
Brilliant goal to start the season!

This kid will be making a move next summer.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He’s an incredible player. Has to turn up in old firm games though.

Robbie Boy

He's a very talented player, and Celtic got him for a great price. It'll be another good investment for Celtic, and they'll surely make a decent profit on him.

They have a knack of scouring Europe and picking up players that they sell on for a decent profit. In saying that, they do seem to sign quite a high number of these kinds of players.

SportingCP96

Supports
Benfica truly dropped the ball here, could of had Jota and Neres on the wing.

Reiver

I saw a fair bit of him live last season. Nobody I saw could handle him.
I'd say it's a bit of a gamble for any EPL club to think he can translate his form from the SPL. That being said I think he can to a certain extent.

Welbeckham

Caught my eye in 2018 when he was easily the best player in EURO U19 tournament also featuring the likes of Håland, Zaniolo, Tonali, Scamacca, Moise Kean, Moussa Diaby, Conor Gallagher etc.

Has an incredible technical ability, but has probably struggled physically with the move to senior football.

SportingCP96

Supports
Caught my eye in 2018 when he was easily the best player in EURO U19 tournament also featuring the likes of Håland, Zaniolo, Tonali, Scamacca, Moise Kean, Moussa Diaby, Conor Gallagher etc.

Has an incredible technical ability, but has probably struggled physically with the move to senior football.
He’s blossomed in Celtic and really found his form and swagger, I can see Wolves making a move for him.

A9X SJ

Watch Celtic most weeks he is very good at what he does, I’m sure it won’t be long before someone comes sniffing around

Swedish_Plumber

A move to Southampton or Leicester for him one day. Maybe even Wolves with their Portuguese links.

He’s got some some real quality so will be interesting to see how he pushes on this season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Yes, it's one of the main reasons, because he was even more promising than João Félix. Jota was never a very fast player but his dribbling and skill is so accurate that he can actually past the defenders without relying too much on speed.
I've seen him make experienced defenders look like dummies at matches, but he needs to be able to avoid strength duels. I don't think gymn sessions will solve this issue, because I'm pretty sure his body type has been extensively evaluated at Benfica and Celtic and they know muscles won't solve the issue, otherwise he would already be more bulked.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes, it's one of the main reasons, because he was even more promising than João Félix. Jota was never a very fast player but his dribbling and skill is so accurate that he can actually past the defenders without relying too much on speed.
I've seen him make experienced defenders look like dummies at matches, but he needs to be able to avoid strength duels. I don't think gymn sessions will solve this issue, because I'm pretty sure his body type has been extensively evaluated at Benfica and Celtic and they know muscles won't solve the issue, otherwise he would already be more bulked.
Bulking up too much I think would cause him to lose his agility when doing his fancy tricks. Might be the reason he never bulked up.

SportingCP96

Supports
3 assists tonight in the 3-1 Celtic win. His end product has gone up and at this rate he is poll favorite for player of the season. 1 goal and 3 assists in 2 games this season for the boy. Cant wait to see him in the Champions League.

I am curious as to which clubs scouts have identified him and will flip him for more in the near future.

Last edited: