Music Joy Division vs New Order

justsomebloke

New Order's version of Ceremony, specifically this version is most likely my all-time favourite song. It's a masterpiece.

I totally agree. It defines to perfection what one particular corner of rock music can be. No other song does that better.

As far as I can tell, this version can only be found on the Substance compilation, which is now finally on Spotify. I've lost the vinyl, and it's really expensive and quite hard to find second-hand. So I got to hear this for the first time in years only recently.

Superunknown

I totally agree. It defines to perfection what one particular corner of rock music can be. No other song does that better.

As far as I can tell, this version can only be found on the Substance compilation, which is now finally on Spotify. I've lost the vinyl, and it's really expensive and quite hard to find second-hand. So I got to hear this for the first time in years only recently.
I was so delighted when I opened up Spotify to find that this version was accessible at last. I think you're right in saying that it can only be found on the Substance compilation, because I can't recall it appearing anywhere else. Such a brilliant tune. The circumstances around this originally being a Joy Division song before New Order then "finished" it is both tragic and beautiful. It's a wonderful message that out of despair and loss can come hope and the chance for a brand new beginning. I'm struggling to think of many songs that have a similar story to this one. It's historic and such an important piece. I can feel my heart breaking and then mending itself every time I listen to it.

Ralaks

Just caught them lsst night kicking off their new tour, anyone going to it should look forward to it, great gig!

Revaulx

I enjoy JD far more now I’m in my mid-60s than I did when they were around in my early 20s. Make of that what you will.

NO were/are probably great to those who are really into dance music, but I never have been; probably an age-related thing. I only like dance pop where the emphasis is on the pop, like the Pet Shop Boys.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Joy Division, by far actually.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
By no means an expert but I always associate New Order with a certain sense of wanton hedonism occasionally lapsing into mismanaged introspection. The same mental process that, say, follows a heavy night and regrets that immediately precede.

I like Joy Division more as their post-industrial pre-grunge ambiance hits a more ethereal and less self-concerned spot. It's a bit like debating the difference between the chaotic cadence of a Chekhov play with a TikTok binge.