Jozy Altidore - worst "striker" in the history of England?

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Shocking news today that national team striker Jozy Altidore has been "sold" to Toronto FC. Jozy plus cash for Jermain Defoe. Altidore returns to our continent (but thankfully not our country) in shame.

5 goals in 80 appearances with Hull & Sunderland. Has anyone been worse? I'd love to see minutes per goal stat on him, it would make latter-day Fernando Torres blush.

Here's a classic. Wellbeck would have buried it.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Well I instantly thought of Shola Ameobi, so I looked up his stats. They're actually not bad, in relation to what you're asking, that is.

He scored 5 PL goals in his last three seasons, through which he made 76 appearances. That said, he only started 26 of those 76, which means as much as 50 of them are sub appearances. Not bad, like I said, but he surely can't compete with Altidore.

Oaencha

An absolute turd of a striker. When will managers learn not to be swayed by goal scoring stats in the Dutch league? This signing summed up Di Crapio's time at Sunderland.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's a worse player than those stats show. I've never been sure what it is that managers thought he was doing.

Gannicus

Jozy must have had one incredible performance early in his prem career. But yeah, he's been a rotting turd of a striker.

Anduin

I know he's still young, but Connor Wickham has a dreadful record as well. 8 goals in 63 games (close to 3,600 minutes) is absolutely useless. Another one was Michael Chopra, a bit better than Wickham, but still only 9 games in 60 games. He was scoring goals for fun in the Championship though.

The overall worst is probably Soldado though. Cost around £25m, scored a grand total of 7 goals in 41 games so far in the league, 4 or 5 of which have been penalties. Astonishing fall from grace compared to his Valencia days.

IrishLegend

I remember when Altidore signed for Sunderland, my exact words were 'Someone paid money for him?' I remembered him at Hull being absolute dog turd.

Worse strikers though? Soldado is pretty fecking bad, Torres post liverpool?

Jammydodger7

What I can't understand, and couldn't at the time, He had proven to be useless in the Premier League with Sunderland so How Hull ppaid around £8 million for him I'll never know! That's a lot of money for Hull!!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
What I can't understand, and couldn't at the time, He had proven to be useless in the Premier League with Sunderland so How Hull ppaid around £8 million for him I'll never know! That's a lot of money for Hull!!
Hmmm I think you've got your dates mixed up there no? I don't think he'd played in the PL prior to that, and according to Wiki, he was loaned to them with an option to buy, for 6.5M (but as he went on loan to Bursaspor I guess Hull didn't buy him). Don't know how much Sunderland paid for him though.

Jammydodger7

Hmmm I think you've got your dates mixed up there no? I don't think he'd played in the PL prior to that, and according to Wiki, he was loaned to them with an option to buy, for 6.5M (but as he went on loan to Bursaspor I guess Hull didn't buy him). Don't know how much Sunderland paid for him though.
Opps yea I meant he was useless for Hull and don't know how sunderland bought him:lol:...I thought it was £9 millon because I remember reading it at the time and thinking it was wrong, I just looked up that Transfermarkt site and they said Sunderland paid €10 million.

Flying_Heckfish

The Grauniad's got an article up about him now here.

I remember BBC world football phone-in's US expert always thought he was the right type of player for the PL.

He must have been blind, the guy is a worse version of Heskey

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Opps yea I meant he was useless for Hull and don't know how sunderland bought him:lol:...I thought it was £9 millon because I remember reading it at the time and thinking it was wrong, I just looked up that Transfermarkt site and they said Sunderland paid €10 million.
Dear Lord! :lol:

saivet

Soldado has to be up there. Just come across this miss from last night.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nah that one who played for Middlesbrough was far worse, I forget his name I think he was Korean.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There was a guy who played up front for Derby in their last PL season. Steve Howard I think his name was. Absolutely useless imposter.

Toss up between Howard and Geoff Horsefield for me.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Kaba Diawara all the way, played for 3 EPL clubs and scored 0 goals. Although I don't think he managed 80 appearances

rocks13

I'd say Falcao. 3 goals in 13 appearances. Not even good enough to make the bench recently.

gormless

Cost Boro something like £8m at the time as well, record signing, i think they were relegated that year... say's it all, good call.
Alves showed flashes. Scored against us, hat trick against City in an 8-1 win. His all round play was normally decent, just Southgate was a terrible manager who dismantled McLaren's solid team far too quickly. It was the year after they got relegated

Ji Dong-won who played for Sunderland as well you mean?

He scored against City at least :lol:

Ah, you mean Lee-Dong Gook. Haha had to look him up!
I was in the stadium for his debut against City. Genuinely the worst player I have seen play football, and I used to go to a fair few Northern Premier non league matches. He was subbed off by Boro and replaced by Viduka after 50 minute even though they were trying to rest Viduka for the match against us.