Jozy Altidore - worst "striker" in the history of England?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Benjani was pretty shit. But had a random purple patch and got a move to Man City, where he then scored twice against us and was never seen again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Alan Smith was quite a shit striker.
Think he went about 4 or 5 seasons without a competitive goal after he scored against Roma. I used to get jumped on by top reds for calling him out as shite.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Steve Howard probably wins it, I have decided in all my wisdom.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Think he went about 4 or 5 seasons without a competitive goal after he scored against Roma. I used to get jumped on by ******** for calling him out as shite.
Probably because he starrted playing as a DM after he left United.

Di Santo deserves a mention as well

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably because he starrted playing as a DM after he left United.

Di Santo deserves a mention as well
Not exclusively, and even if that was the case, it is further testimony to him being unable to effect games as a striker.

And Di Santo is nowhere near the bracket of worst PL strikers. He was very good for Wigan, got big goals for them and won a call up to the Argentine national squad based on his PL performances, so he's far from the worst.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not exclusively, and even if that was the case, it is further testimony to him being unable to effect games as a striker.

And Di Santo is nowhere near the bracket of worst PL strikers. He was very good for Wigan, got big goals for them and won a call up to the Argentine national squad based on his PL performances, so he's far from the worst.
Di Santo has an appalling record for a strker. At least Altidore scored in Holland

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Di Santo has an appalling record for a strker. At least Altidore scored in Holland
He was also a young player. James Wilson has an 'appalling record for a striker'. Context needs to be applied. He was a teen or 20 at Chelsea, he eventually found his feet at Wigan and proved to be a decent player under Martinez.

Balotelli is doing his best this season! 2 in 18, neither of them in the league.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Stephane Guivarch. Terrible striker.
You didn't see him much for Auxerre though, did you?

I think he was quite shit to be honest (he's selling swimming pools in Britanny if anyone is interested), but he appeared worse than he was due to tactics. People tend to forget that France 98 team was mainly an ultra defensive unit with all forward responsibilities handed to Zidane, and to a (much) lesser extent to Djorkaeff. Aimé Jacquet was quite clear about this in the documentary 'Les Yeux dans les Bleus', he basically assigned a role to everyone to let Zidane shine. Which wasn't actually that effective (Zidane's tournament wasn't that good, but obviously the two goals in the final skew people's perception), but this is just to say that Guivarc'h was a bit of a token player that Jacquet put on the pitch cos he had to put 11 players there. But his tactics didn't depend on an efficient #9.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He was also a young player. James Wilson has an 'appalling record for a striker'. Context needs to be applied. He was a teen or 20 at Chelsea, he eventually found his feet at Wigan and proved to be a decent player under Martinez.
He has a shit goal record pretty much everywhere he has played. Missed plenty of sitters at Wigan and towards the end of his time was replaced by Mcmanaman in the Wigan team. And they are same age btw

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What if he does well, eh? I'd rather have him than Bright Dike at the moment. Altidore and Gilberto can be a decent partnership if we play a 4-4-2.

Regardless, I'd rather Altidore is at the bench as a Plan B than as a starter.
Well I'd hope a DP player would be better than Dike. Honestly, I don't think Gilberto is good enough either. Again, he is a DP player, he should be leading the team not on the bench as a Plan B. We've effectively traded Defoe for him and if he is anything like he has been for Sunderland and Hull then it will turn out to be an awful deal for us. Hopefully he can put up his AZ numbers for TFC but I don't see it, he will just be another shite DP that TFC have signed.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well I'd hope a DP player would be better than Dike. Honestly, I don't think Gilberto is good enough either. Again, he is a DP player, he should be leading the team not on the bench as a Plan B. We've effectively traded Defoe for him and if he is anything like he has been for Sunderland and Hull then it will turn out to be an awful deal for us. Hopefully he can put up his AZ numbers for TFC but I don't see it, he will just be another shite DP that TFC have signed.
For a DP, yes, we should do better, but I'm hoping that he puts up his AZ performances for us. I'd actually like to see Gilberto play more. He's not that bad, but that's a discussion for another thread.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
For a DP, yes, we should do better, but I'm hoping that he puts up his AZ performances for us. I'd actually like to see Gilberto play more. He's not that bad, but that's a discussion for another thread.
The defence in the MLS is shit so hopefully he does put in his AZ performances. I just want to make the play-offs.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
And there's Ali Dia, who only played because he successfully hoodwinked Graeme Souness (?) to think that he was Weah's cousin; resubstituted after 30 minutes in his only appearance I think. Then went straight to non-league and retired.
GOAT in my opinion.

Distracted Steward

It's not like he carries the water in other ways and his goal tally sells him short. No, he's a big fellow who cannot hold the ball up or win headers. He's fairly quick but doesn't run onto anything or even make runs. He's at least as bad as he was at Hull.

Worst of all was how little he seemed to be doing to turn his former around for Sunderland. He was always so disconnected from the course of play.

To think Klinsman & Co were counting on him for the WC. The USMNT is as thin up top as its it's ever been.

At this point, he would do well to be one of the top strikers in MLS.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Steve Howard probably wins it, I have decided in all my wisdom.
His strike partnership with Kenny Miller at Derby has to be one of the worst in Premier League history.

Naturally, his only goal that season was against us at Old Trafford.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
He has a shit goal record pretty much everywhere he has played. Missed plenty of sitters at Wigan and towards the end of his time was replaced by Mcmanaman in the Wigan team. And they are same age btw
He only scored 4 goals in the Bundesliga last season, but this year he has 6 goals in 11 games which is an excellent return and he's also playing for a team who are in a serious relegation battle. His link up play isn't bad either.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
There were rumors that the Timbers were trying to sign him. I hope we've dodged that bullet - absolute waste of money.

Firstouch20

When he had a very impressive spell at AZ Alkamaar and how well he was doing on the internatioal stage i thought he would be a success in English football. Looked like he had all the attributes to make it in this league but the step up overwhelmed him.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel are in with a shout as they were awful. Konstantinos Mitroglou cost Fulham £12 million and only played in 3 games for Fulham so he could also be considered. He has gone back to Olympiakos and has scored 10 goals in 12 games or something like that :lol:

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There was a guy who played up front for Derby in their last PL season. Steve Howard I think his name was. Absolutely useless imposter.

Toss up between Howard and Geoff Horsefield for me.
To be fair to Horsefield, he just played for teams in the Championship who got promoted to the PL. He wasn't bought by a PL club, never mind for 10m. His goal record was also better than Altidore's.

Someone mentioned Boselli, which was a good shout. That made me think of Di Santo. 13 goals in 93 games. I'm guessing though that many of those appearances came as a sub so still not as bad as Altidore.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Samaras was pretty awful in both his stints I thought.

Don't forget City's other stinkers too - the likes of Jo, Bojinov, Bianchi etc in recent times. Though this was quite a turbulent time for them so some mistakes were inevitable I suppose
That's a name that you surely had to dig up. I remember that player when you mention him. Checking his stats now, he's actually done well for Torino.

Flying_Heckfish

That's a name that you surely had to dig up. I remember that player when you mention him. Checking his stats now, he's actually done well for Torino.
Yeah that record doesn't look too bad does it! I remember him being a bit of an arsehole in his short stint. They've had plenty of rubbish ones during this period.. others earlier mentioned Benjani and Corradi as well, who I forgot.

City aside, what about Connor Sammon? 1 league goal in 32 for Wigan. Followed that up with 10 in 82 (according to wiki) for Derby in the Champonshiop. Currently on loan at Rotherham