5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

Yet again the age old arguments about his “pace” and “physicality”... Yawn.

He is by far our best player on the pitch whenever he plays. And one of the most hard working aswell. He would be the first name on the team sheet for me.
Is he feck.

Fosu-Mens

He is by far our best player on the pitch whenever he plays. And one of the most hard working aswell. He would be the first name on the team sheet for me.
Really useful when we do not have the ball... Defending with one man less. Then you have Lukaku and Martial on top of that.

He would perform better against teams sitting low and parking the bus and playing in a team that is possesion based. The complete opposite of the team he is currently playing in.

El Jefe

I know he's well liked by fans but if he gets a new contract it will continue to prove we have no clue at this club.

We've all seen what Mata can do, across three managers might I add and its just not been good enough consistently. To make matters worse, he's declining and it should be obvious to everybody.

We all know the game isn't about athleticism only but if you lack pace and strength, you better be very skillful and deliver accurate passes. Despite being a pretty footballer, Mata's passing is quite basic for his type of player as is his ability to get past players. His goals have also dried up so what purpose does he serve at this club in helping us achieve our future goals.

Keep Jesse as our back up in that position and buy a top class No.10/AM in the summer and let Mata go.

Reddy Rederson

Anyone ever think that maybe the reason he looks bad sometimes is because the people around him are playing bad? If lukaku wont run the channels, how can he give him a pass into dangerous space? Its not that he needs a lot of time, he can and does move the ball along quickly. Its just that theres so little movement from anyone else he gets caught looking for someone to move. Other people start making runs, and youll see mata in that 10 role set up goal after goal and nick a few himself. His game doesnt need him to be fast, it needs others to be on the same page as him.

Mcking

C'mon man, that's barely true.

luke511

Really has been so far this season, great on the ball, best close control.
He was good against Chelsea, I'd give him 6/10 vs Juventus and anything before that he's been very poor. Prior to the Chelsea game his first touch and close control was strangely bad for his standards.

Mcking

Anyone ever think that maybe the reason he looks bad sometimes is because the people around him are playing bad? If lukaku wont run the channels, how can he give him a pass into dangerous space? Its not that he needs a lot of time, he can and does move the ball along quickly. Its just that theres so little movement from anyone else he gets caught looking for someone to move. Other people start making runs, and youll see mata in that 10 role set up goal after goal and nick a few himself. His game doesnt need him to be fast, it needs others to be on the same page as him.
It is mutual. Mata is famous for passing backwards on counter attacks. How can Lukaku make a run when he has doubts that Mata would be able to pull it off. A lot of it is down to the coaching too.

luke511

I know he's well liked by fans but if he gets a new contract it will continue to prove we have no clue at this club.

We've all seen what Mata can do, across three managers might I add and its just not been good enough consistently. To make matters worse, he's declining and it should be obvious to everybody.

We all know the game isn't about athleticism only but if you lack pace and strength, you better be very skillful and deliver accurate passes. Despite being a pretty footballer, Mata's passing is quite basic for his type of player as is his ability to get past players. His goals have also dried up so what purpose does he serve at this club in helping us achieve our future goals.

Keep Jesse as our back up in that position and buy a top class No.10/AM in the summer and let Mata go.
I agree with this, he's eay too limited as a player to be playing such an important position. He's no good on the right and way too slow and weak to be playing no.10. This summer is a fitting time for us to part ways.

Reddy Rederson

It is mutual. Mata is famous for passing backwards on counter attacks. How can Lukaku make a run when he has doubts that Mata would be able to pull it off. A lot of it is down to the coaching too.
Is he? I’ve only ever seen him have no options and be forced to pass backwards. Mata isn’t the only one lukaku doesn’t make runs for, he just doesn’t do it. But even if he thought he wasn’t going to get sevice, he should still be making those runs to drag defenders out of position. It’s not all about what you do on the ball There’s just far too much ball watching going on with a lot of our players, and mata being slow isn’t going to have any effect on that.

Negan

Is he feck.
How many times has he bailed Mourinho out now? He’s the most underrated player in the league by a country mile. Nobody has scored more goals than him since he’s joined United.

Mcking

How many times has he bailed Mourinho out now? He’s the most underrated player in the league by a country mile. Nobody has scored more goals than him since he’s joined United.
He's being here since Jan 2014.
Our longest serving after Valencia, Smalling, Jones, De gea, Young, Fellaini and ?Lingard. Understandable I'd say.

Darlington Padgett

I agree with this, he's eay too limited as a player to be playing such an important position. He's no good on the right and way too slow and weak to be playing no.10. This summer is a fitting time for us to part ways.
What's the point on passing it to lukaku? You just know he won't control it....

Ekeke

Really has been so far this season, great on the ball, best close control.
What has he done with the ball? In 4 starts he managed 1 assist 0 goals. In his 4 sub appearances he scored 1 goal on top of that.

He's been fairly neat and tidy, other than the Juventus game where he wasnt able to hold onto the ball under pressure. But thats it, neat and tidy rarely affecting the scoreline.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What has he done with the ball? In 4 starts he managed 1 assist 0 goals. In his 4 sub appearances he scored 1 goal on top of that.

He's been fairly neat and tidy, other than the Juventus game where he wasnt able to hold onto the ball under pressure. But thats it, neat and tidy rarely affecting the scoreline.
Doesn't he have two goals and two assists this season? He's blatantly effecting scorelines.
Fwiw United are sorely lacking "tidy" players at the moment.

Ekeke

He scored 28 in the league and european competitions in 5 seasons

Martial has 33 in 3.5

Rashford has 25 in 3.5

Lukaku has 25 in 1.5

Ekeke

Doesn't he have two goals and two assists this season? He's blatantly effecting scorelines.
Fwiw United are sorely lacking "tidy" players at the moment.

You can add 1 more goal in the Carabao Cup if you think thats a decent competition.

Ashley R1+O

Is he feck.
:lol: I can't help but marvel at the linguistic composition of the phrase "is he feck".

But agreed, he should be a rotational 3rd string top veteran option. Great when he has the balls to play on the turn for about 20-25 minutes a game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He scored 28 in the league and european competitions in 5 seasons

Martial has 33 in 3.5

Rashford has 25 in 3.5

Lukaku has 25 in 1.5
Including this season he has scored 32 goals and 25 assists in League + Champions league since he joined. Not a great record though.

Ekeke

Including this season he has scored 32 goals and 25 assists in League + Champions league since he joined. Not a great record though.
Rechecking it would be 34 in league + europe (CL or EL). I shouldnt be counting stuff when tired :lol: So that would make it 1 more goal than Martial, in 1.5 extra seasons.

Dec9003

Against Derby

Now do tell me where this other assist came from that you thought up
Against Derby yes, the team that beat us.
Yeah I was wrong I could've sworn I read on here yesterday that he had 2+2.
Iregardless a goal/assist contribution every 3 appearances really isn't bad at all, considering he didn't start all those.
Mata is a very good footballer imo and given the squad we have should always be starting, since he links well with others.

Ekeke

Against Derby yes, the team that beat us.
Yeah I was wrong I could've sworn I read on here yesterday that he had 2+2.
Iregardless a goal/assist contribution every 3 appearances really isn't bad at all, considering he didn't start all those.
Mata is a very good footballer imo and given the squad we have should always be starting, since he links well with others.
Yes the 5th best team in the championship beat us. I dont think its saying much to score against them in our least important cup competition. 15 Championship players have scored against them this season too in a more important competition. I don't think that means they should be starting for us either, just like its not a reason Mata should be starting for us.

1 in 3 is way off the player he was at Valencia and Chelsea where he was 1 in 2.

Dec9003

Yes the 5th best team in the championship beat us. I dont think its saying much to score against them in our least important cup competition. 15 Championship players have scored against them this season too in a more important competition. I don't think that means they should be starting for us either, just like its not a reason Mata should be starting for us.

1 in 3 is way off the player he was at Valencia and Chelsea where he was 1 in 2.
Well as for the bolded part I don't think you'd find many people who would disagree with you, except that isn't all he's done is it.
1 in 3 for a team that is struggling really isn't too bad at all though, and as I said Mata brings a lot more than just goals and assists.
Out of interest, are you the one who said the other week Phil Jones should be starting for us? Because if so I'd argue the way we rate players is so different that we'd likely never come to an agreement anyway.

Ekeke

Well as for the bolded part I don't think you'd find many people who would disagree with you, except that isn't all he's done is it.
1 in 3 for a team that is struggling really isn't too bad at all though, and as I said Mata brings a lot more than just goals and assists.
Out of interest, are you the one who said the other week Phil Jones should be starting for us? Because if so I'd argue the way we rate players is so different that we'd likely never come to an agreement anyway.
I'm simply saying why I'm counting league and european goals. Carabao cup against championship teams doesnt prove much more than being able to score against championship teams.

I think Smalling-Jones last season was clearly better than any of our CB combinations this season. Although Lindelof has also clearly put himself in front of Bailly and Rojo this season with his improvement.

Jones played well against most of the teams in the premier league last season. He made a couple of mistakes in big matches like Chelsea, so thats where we might want to select someone else or buy someone else. For the biggest matches. But our troubles this season at the back arent against only the biggest teams. Its against all teams.

So yes he would be an improvement most likely. Funnily enough the only time he's played, it was in a back 3 with Ander against Spurs. A big game and with a midfielder struggling at CB. Exactly when I don't think it was a good idea.

stevoc

Mata should not play in a center role , they just go all over him , he must have lots of space , like on the wings
Surely like most other people you've seen enough of him over the last few years and especially the last 12 months to recognize he is pointless on the wing.

Offers nothing in attack, no width and often abandons the position completely. Leaving his fullback to marshall the whole right flank by themselves often leading to them being double teamed and overrun and/or not being able to help the attack either. We've had entire games where we've had virtually no attacking down the right side of our team because Mata's gone walkabout.

His recent games in the centre have convinced me he's not completely done and theres still a decent player in there. If he plays it should be in the centre.

Man Utd 2:1 Everton

Idxomer

Fantastic again tonight.

It does seem as if the collective intelligence of the team has been transferred to him. One of the few in this squad that always plays with his brain.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fantastic again. All our good slick moves were coming off with him at the centre of them. One of the only "proper footballers" in our side.

While he wasn't among the top 3 players in terms of impact, feel his contribution will be underestimated once again just because Rashford couldn't finish that chance off and Pickford made that great stop vs Pogba

Aloysius's Back 3

One of our most important players because he is one of the few that adds creativity to our game.

We could be going after Willian or Perisic which would only add a better option to what our fullbacks are supposed to do; rather we need to utilise mata in central areas with being on the lookout for a AM that has the ability to interlink players like Martial & Rashford as much as he does or more.

Roboc7

He has little moments and looks a lot better once the game opens up but overall he doesn’t impact the game enough and the right hand side of our attack was virtually redundant today.

acnumber9

He has little moments and looks a lot better once the game opens up but overall he doesn’t impact the game enough and the right hand side of our attack was virtually redundant today.
Two little moments put Pogba and Rashford one on one with the keeper. Better touches and he comes away with two assists and United are 4 up. I’d call that impact.

Golden Nugget

We just play so much better when he’s in the team. Moves into great spaces and also has the ability to spot runs early

Status
Not open for further replies.