Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
As numerous others have said, he’s completely wasted the best part of his career playing out on the right.
For sure. He is a great asset behind a striker, in that hole behind a striker. He is very intelligent with a great touch, finds space and passes without needing pace. Problem is it is also where Alexis would probably play his best since he no longer has the pace to beat players over and over on the left. Well Alexis could have a go up front but Rom will never get rested, let alone dropped.

El Jefe

Mata playing as a number 10 showed that we need an extra creative passer alongside Pogba. While Mata has performed well in the last two gamea I'd still let him go at the end of his contract.

Jose and Ed should be closely monitoring Eriksen's situation at Spurs. If he doesn't renew he'll have a year left on his contract. We won't find a better AM than him in the market.

Andersons Dietician

For those saying it's obvious that he should be playing centrally, it has to be remembered that Mourinho played him as a 10 numerous times in his first season and Mata was poor every time. That's why he ended up being moved over to the right where he was actually better.

Of course, now that he's had a couple of good performances there it'll be interesting to see if he continues to get chances and whether he continues to take them.
I was going to say something similar, not even only Jose but LVG and Moyes played him as a 10 and it never really seemed to work. It’s like Mata works in a cycle, he gets his chance as a 10 does alright but fades out and doesn’t really make a claim as in he should play here every week. Never really grabs a game and owns it. So after a few games he is shifted again then disappears and the cycle continues of people asking for him to be played as a 10 only for the cycle to continue.

I love Mata, but he isn’t someone who I would say undoubtedly should be a nailed on starter because he is quite inconsistent in his performances. Sometimes he is a passenger and everything is by passing him and others he orchestrates everything.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And those little legs can only run so much. I absolutely adore Mata, and feel he still has so much to contribute to this team.
Those legs seem to be faster than Lukaku and Lukaku plays every damn game.
At present, Mata should be starting every match, as should Martial. These are our 2 most potent attackers, right now.

Mata playing as a number 10 showed that we need an extra creative passer alongside Pogba. While Mata has performed well in the last two gamea I'd still let him go at the end of his contract.

Jose and Ed should be closely monitoring Eriksen's situation at Spurs. If he doesn't renew he'll have a year left on his contract. We won't find a better AM than him in the market.
I agree with this x

Eric's Seagull

Would love to see us sign Eriksen but would hard to deal with Levy but worth a shot. Although if this does happen I personally hope Jose is gone first.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At present, Mata should be starting every match, as should Martial. These are our 2 most potent attackers, right now.
Mata has only done it for two games after being quite poor since January. Yes he should continue getting his chances for now and hopefully he'll continue to take them, but I do feel a lot of people in this thread are going overboard with him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Agree

jem

I also don't buy into this idea that Mata slows us down, as he is usually very quick to move the ball along (sometimes I actually he would hold it a bit longer rather than quickly cycling it along.)

jem

Mata has only done it for two games after being quite poor since January. Yes he should continue getting his chances for now and hopefully he'll continue to take them, but I do feel a lot of people in this thread are going overboard with him.
They are, but I think it was also the case when he had a bad run, with people saying he's been a terrible transfer, legs gone, etc.

Canucantona20

Agree, Eriksen would take us to another level.

PepsiCola

Thought he was the only one on the pitch who looked like he'd do anything.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Thought he was the only one on the pitch who looked like he'd do anything.
Not the only one - Lindelhof was great tonight.

Mata still gave his all and at least tried.

Matic on the other hand.... did nothing to prevent that first goal - just running alongside the bloke ffs. He just doesn't seem to be delivering.

PepsiCola

Not the only one - Lindelhof was great tonight.

Mata still gave his all and at least tried.

Matic on the other hand.... did nothing to prevent that first goal - just running alongside the bloke ffs. He just doesn't seem to be delivering.
Lindelof was fecking ace today, proud of the lad.

Ahead of him, only Mata looked like he was doing anything. Unfortunately limited by a very poor striker ahead of him

Morpheus 7

The only one in the midfield that looked good, tried his best and his passing had real purpose. If the rest of them had the same desire in attacking areas we would have got something.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
As average of a player you can get on this level.

Ekeke

Game passed him by. Unlike Pogba, when he received the ball he wasnt able to neatly turn away from the pressure and find teammates in dangerous areas.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Game passed him by. Unlike Pogba, when he received the ball he wasnt able to neatly turn away from the pressure and find teammates in dangerous areas.
This is why I'd never play him as a CM like some want. He doesn't have that David Silva, Iniesta, Pogba, etc, ability to receive the ball under pressure and keep it controlled. He's too weak and will lose it in dangerous areas. Like, Silva and Iniesta aren't much bigger than him, but both could/can keep the ball when being pressed by big players which is why they easily adapted to becoming CMs. Sadly, in Mata's case, he's never had this ability.

Drifter

American
Juve dominated and he could not get into the game at all. When he had the ball he added nothing to attack.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
No member of the team is a miracle worker. With so many not functioning, it's wrong to pin the blame on any one in particular, although Mata at least makes an effort. On the whole, Lukaku and Matic are both lacking in that and Ive not forgiven Pogba yet for being too busy chatting to a Chelsea player to keep an eye on his man. Why some players escape criticism from some, is beyond me.

PepsiCola

As I said in the Martial thread, you can only do so much when massively limited by those around you.

Playing ahead of a very poor Matic and behind a shockingly bad Lukaku really limits Mata. He tried to move the ball with purpose was one of 3 players who looked capable of anything last night.

Must continue to play in the number 10 role for me.

criticalanalysis

Whenever, Mata or Lingard play they should be judged as second strikers, just as Martial and Rashford are. They are definitely not part of the midfield and a part of the problem (With Mourinho's trash 'coaching' being the biggest) why we get dominated so easily.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a comment on this particular peformance, but the case of Mata and Manchester United is a very curious player. Let's say that he's not as good as the best players in the league anymore and that's the footballer we signed. No problem. But every time I see Mata have one of these runs I wonder why he isn't at least one of our biggest stars/best performers. He's technical fantastic, his decision making is superb, never gives the all away and he's always been terrific finisher. Yes he has the athleticism of a toddler but I'm not sure how he's managed to be kept out of the team by our other players.

I suppose we've played him too deep and he's never really been a brilliant passer. Is that the simple answer? That a second striker has been playing out wide?

Ekeke

This is why I'd never play him as a CM like some want. He doesn't have that David Silva, Iniesta, Pogba, etc, ability to receive the ball under pressure and keep it controlled. He's too weak and will lose it in dangerous areas. Like, Silva and Iniesta aren't much bigger than him, but both could/can keep the ball when being pressed by big players which is why they easily adapted to becoming CMs. Sadly, in Mata's case, he's never had this ability.
I agree. They are more alert and better at keeping their balance under pressure to make sure they are able to keep the ball and find a teammate with a decent pass.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's technical fantastic, his decision making is superb, never gives the all away and he's always been terrific finisher. Yes he has the athleticism of a toddler but I'm not sure how he's managed to be kept out of the team by our other players.
You answered yourself there. Its his athleticism that holds him back so much it effects his overall play. Technical but not enough pace or power to put his abilities into action enough, ultimately restricting his usefulness to the team. Decision making is good when he has the time and space in front of him but these days he largely opts for the safe choice due to him not being able to create space on his own. He does give the ball away, but the reason he doesn't do it more is because he keeps it too safe. He has been missing some sitters and his finishing isn't as good as it was, but to be fair he isn't getting in the same positions anymore either, and his spider sense has gone in front of goal, imo. I mean, he can do great stuff occasionally but he used to be able to make better use of his qualities consistently and sadly his body doesn't allow him to do it anymore.

Carolina Red

Staff
You answered yourself there. Its his athleticism that holds him back so much it effects his overall play. Technical but not enough pace or power to put his abilities into action enough, ultimately restricting his usefulness to the team. Decision making is good when he has the time and space in front of him but these days he largely opts for the safe choice due to him not being able to create space on his own. He does give the ball away, but the reason he doesn't do it more is because he keeps it too safe. He has been missing some sitters and his finishing isn't as good as it was, but to be fair he isn't getting in the same positions anymore either, and his spider sense has gone in front of goal, imo. I mean, he can do great stuff occasionally but he used to be able to make better use of his qualities consistently and sadly his body doesn't allow him to do it anymore.
I’m afraid you’re right here. I’ve always loved the guy not just because he’s a decent person, but because he has made it to such a high level despite being a poor athlete. It seems what athleticism he has possessed though is starting to leave him.

Ekeke

I don't believe its athleticism that stops him being an influential player for us. Its consistency and the attitude to always create something. Far too often he's been neat and tidy but just a cog in what we're doing rather than an instigator trying again and again to open the opposition up.

Contrast that with the 19 year old I first saw at Valencia who was always a danger making runs in behind the defense and constantly assisting or scoring goals. Occasionally he still makes a nice run, or gets on the scoresheet. But its nothing like he used to do where it was near enough each game that he either made or scored a goal. Now he looks happy to have that "neat and tidy" performance.

Last edited:

Negan

Yet again the age old arguments about his “pace” and “physicality”... Yawn.

He is by far our best player on the pitch whenever he plays. And one of the most hard working aswell. He would be the first name on the team sheet for me.

MuranoLover

Mata should not play in a center role , they just go all over him , he must have lots of space , like on the wings

Status
Not open for further replies.