5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marktan

He took a wage cut in the summer, so feck knows. He wasn't even on 160K in the first place though.

That post you quoted is also daft. Mata is probably one of the most professional people at the club....and came on as the 4th sub in extra time when we had players missing, and was decent. Literally a back up option being just that.
Well I'm just going by sportrac and that's what they report. He's been one of our higher earners since he's been here.

Look he's a nice guy but he offers nothing, he's not even good as a backup. This was against a Championship that the rest of the tram smoked in the first half. Against tired legs he did nothing. Remember his last appearance in the league where he gave the ball away repeatedly?

Backups should be like Chelsea's backups, Pulisic, Hudson Odoi.. you know who can run and actually contribute something. Or city's backups. And I'm sure most of them earn less than Mata does. The point about City clearing Aguero and Silva who played at a higher level than Mata has done for a good few years now is true.

UnitedFan93

He took a wage cut in the summer, so feck knows. He wasn't even on 160K in the first place though.

That post you quoted is also daft. Mata is probably one of the most professional people at the club....and came on as the 4th sub in extra time when we had players missing, and was decent. Literally a back up option being just that.
You can be professional but still be shit at the same time. Got nothing against Mata, decent chap, model pro etc, however, at any ambitious club wanting to win the major trophies he's gone years ago. My issue is with the club giving him a new contract to play once a year, not with Mata himself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well I'm just going by sportrac and that's what they report. He's been one of our higher earners since he's been here.

Look he's a nice guy but he offers nothing, he's not even good as a backup. This was against a Championship that the rest of the tram smocked in the first half. Against tired legs he did nothing. Remember his last appearance in the league where he gave the ball away repeatedly?

Backups should be like Chelsea's backups, Pulisic, Hudson Odoi.. you know who can run and actually contribute something. Or city's backups. And I'm sure most of them earn less than Mata does. The point about City clearing Aguero and Silva who played at a higher level than Mata has done for a good few years now is true.
Its not though if it because they went elsewhere to be starters, not back ups. If they were willing to stay as back ups City would probably have kept them.

He did just as much Elanga or Fred in about half the time. Hell he actually had more touches on the ball then Elanga, so fair to say if he'd have come on when he did he'd have contributed more.

You can be professional but still be shit at the same time. Got nothing against Mata, decent chap, model pro etc, however, at any ambitious club wanting to win the major trophies he's gone years ago. My issue is with the club giving him a new contract to play once a year, not with Mata himself.
That's a fine and valid criticism, it's slagging him off after tonight I find bizarre.

BorisManUtd

Giving him new contract same summer when Herrera left for free was a mistake. Showed his class when he came in 2014, was good under van Gaal, useful under Jose but how long ago was that.

Last edited:

Based Adnan

Can't believe we're bringing Mata off the bench to win us a game in 2022, unbelievable

marktan

Its not though if it because they went elsewhere to be starters, not back ups. If they were willing to stay as back ups City would probably have kept them.

He did just as much Elanga or Fred in about half the time. Hell he actually had more touches on the ball then Elanga, so fair to say if he'd have come on when he did he'd have contributed more.

That's a fine and valid criticism, it's slagging him off after tonight I find bizarre.
I'm fairly sure they weren't offered new contracts. Silva and Aguero both still played a good amount for City before they left.

I mean if the point of comparison is Elanga who's played about 90 minutes of pro football in his career.. then fair enough. It's just a sad indictment of the state of this club. But whatever, if they knew how to run a club they would've figured out things a long time ago.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was decent when he came on, much tidier on the ball than some of the other lads.

Jaykespeare88

Still our most technically gifted player, wasn't shit when he came on, travesty he hasn't featured as our 10 more often, even in the right- passing, touch and even dribbles away from oppo where good.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was okay when he came on and I never doubted he'd put away his penalty. Class act, just well beyond his expiry date here. Would be nice to see him playing regularly, just at a different club.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Don’t get the moaning. An FA Cup game against ‘easy’ opposition as a sub is exactly the kind of game you’d expect Mata to get some minutes in.

united for life

Not sure why he isn’t playing. He looks like someone with season tickets - front row seat.

I would surely start him against watford and rest Bruno.

Last edited:

united for life

To answer your question, because he has been done for about 3 years
no. I’m sure he still knows how to play a game of football. He is actually a player with a good football brain and we need that. I’m not saying a regular starter, i’m saying rest bruno and start mata against watford. What’s the worst thing that can happen? Play as bad as rashford, maguire and others?

Reactions: Livvie

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
To answer your question, because he has been done for about 3 years
When he last had a consistent run in September 20 he was POTM. Since his mother died he's had no real opportunity to show what he can still do. He's not done by any means even if he only plays half a game. He still has the lightning brain - as a sub a few weeks ago looked bright and made good passes. Obviously nearing the end of his career, but no one can tell me he couldn't do better than some of what we've seen lately.
Juan Mata produces masterclass performance despite Man United’s Carabao Cup defeat | OneFootball

Oranges038

Not sure why he isn’t playing. He looks like someone with season tickets - from row seat.

I would surely start him against watford and rest Bruno.
He's been badly used by every Utd manager since he signed. Quality footballer, was never a winger, should have been played as a 10.

Think his time is up though, his legs left him about 2 years ago.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surely, he has to be given minutes. We just cant play Bruno every game, and considering the form of Rashford and Ronaldo and unavailability of Cavani, he surely deserves a chance if not anything else. Try him as a sub in games, let him play the weaker sides because after Watford, we cant afford to give the regulars any rest for the next month

Nickelodeon

I'd much rather see him on the pitch then feckin' Lingard... deserves to be ahead of him too
I have the exact sentiment. With Mata, you know he wouldn't cover a lot of ground but can still pick out a pass given his quality on the ball. Lingard is just absolutely useless. Would've fancied Mata in the freekick situation as well (the one which Ronaldo took).

no. I’m sure he still knows how to play a game of football. He is actually a player with a good football brain and we need that. I’m not saying a regular starter, i’m saying rest bruno and start mata against watford. What’s the worst thing that can happen? Play as bad as rashford, maguire and others?
He's a liability defensively. He can still pick a pass but he gets run past like he's not there.

Foxbatt

Play him as a second striker or an attacking midfield player. Don't get him to defend because he can't. But he has the ability to open up a defense and also actually score a goal or two.

united for life

He's a liability defensively. He can still pick a pass but he gets run past like he's not there.
maguire is a liability and still plays as a defender. I’ll gamble on an attacking midfielder with weak defensive attributes especially if it means Bruno takes a rest

maguire is a liability and still plays as a defender. I’ll gamble on an attacking midfielder with weak defensive attributes especially if it means Bruno takes a rest
So, like Maguire then
Maguire is a decent defender going through the worst form of his life but he can get over it. Mata is old, there's no coming back from that.

AndySmith1990

I'd much rather see him on the pitch then feckin' Lingard... deserves to be ahead of him too
It shouldn't be an either or. Neither of them should have been kept at the club this season. Don't know why Solskjaer felt it necessary to stockpile players for the sake of it.

El Jefe

This thread shouldn't even exist. Mata doesn't play because he offers nothing to us and hasn't since Jose's first season IMO.

united for life

Maguire is a decent defender going through the worst form of his life but he can get over it. Mata is old, there's no coming back from that.
so you are saying a 33 year old can not play a game of football every now and then as part of squad rotation? Seriously? No one is suggesting making him a regular starter, it’s the odd game to rest bruno.

as for maguire, he seems to have this bad form every time he wears the united shirt and put the captain’s armband. It’s been too long

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Might be alone here but I really think he should have come on for the last 20 minutes. Especially after Matic came off.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Did more in the 10 mins he came on than Pogba and Rashers did with half an hour.

Bobade

Couldn't believe my ears when they said Mata was coming on. To be fair, he was decent. Great work rate, some decent balls. Weird decision to bring him on though, I thought.

AFC NimbleThumb

We’re they right in saying he’s only played 5 games this season, did alright but honestly why is he still here.

KeanoMagicHat

Not that he’s the solution at all, but I don’t know why he never gets any minutes and if he doesn’t, what is the point of him being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.