Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Brought for £37m back at a time that was big bucks, never understood the love for him on here, he was really a massive disappointment.
Agreed. It was a massive signing before transfer fees really exploded. He’s been a decent squad player and a seemingly nice bloke. Good job for him really otherwise he’d be slated for what he’s actually done.

acnumber9

He was a club record signing, choppered in to sign. He’s a wonderful fella but he’s got to be the most disappointing record signing ever. He’s just been nothing (Juanfield aside) can’t even remember the last time he was a regular in the team.
Angel Di Maria was our record signing at one time. He’s definitely not the most disappointing.

Lee565

We never used him well, he was constantly played in a position that was not suited to him and the general playing style outside of lvg has not been best suited for him either, he along with many others have been a victim of the complete and utter mess of an identity and planning this club has had since fergie went.

Deery

Dreary
We never used him well, he was constantly played in a position that was not suited to him and the general playing style outside of lvg has not been best suited for him either, he along with many others have been a victim of the complete and utter mess of an identity and planning this club has had since fergie went.
That’s not exactly true, he played right wing a lot of the time for Valencia, it’s just he seemed to lose something when he came to United, wasn’t the same player as at Chelsea.

Andrew7582

If he was athletic enough to play on right he was physicaly capable of playing as a 10.

Mata's biggest problem was LvG and his obsession with a finished Rooney. That's when Mata should have been starting as a 10 and securing his place with the club.
Mourinho replaced him with Oscar in the 10 role at Chelsea who was much better defensively and in transition, he was proven right since Oscar played an integral role in them winning the league. 4-5 different united managers didn't want to play Mata there. It was easier to accomodate Mata's deficiencies in a wide playmaker role where he wouldn't be bullied physically as much. He was always a square peg in a round hole at united.

Josh 76

Agreed. It was a massive signing before transfer fees really exploded. He’s been a decent squad player and a seemingly nice bloke. Good job for him really otherwise he’d be slated for what he’s actually done.
Two goals in the win at Anfield (seems like a lifetime ago) will shield him from any criticism among UTD fans.

soapythecat

This insístence on the club and fans to bring up a couple of goals scored at Anfield is cringeworthy. Over the last few seasons Liverpool alone could put many players on pedestals for performances against United. Likewise, City could too.
Juan Mata has been an average player in the most average of periods for United in decades. I wish him well in his next job, but he’s never hit the heights consistently for United in 9 seasons, regardless of manager inadequacies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I can't really remember about Moyes and LVG, but Mourinho did try to play Mata at #10. Mata didn't perform there so he would be moved back out wide where he was actually a bit better.

Ole also tried Mata at #10 at least in the beginning of 19/20 season, and he was absolutely terrible. Ultimately Pereira was preferred because he was the best performing option we had until we bought Bruno in January that season.

Ahmer Baig

Juan Mata will not retire this year, but it is not in his plans to join United's coaching staff, according to Fabrizio Romano

With previous reports indicating that club has no intention of offering Mata a new contract, it looks like the Spaniard will leave this summer

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Juan Mata will not retire this year, but it is not in his plans to join United's coaching staff, according to Fabrizio Romano

With previous reports indicating that club has no intention of offering Mata a new contract, it looks like the Spaniard will leave this summer

I think he should join a Spanish team and start coaching there.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s turning 34 this month. He really could/should have moved when he was 31 and found another club where he’ll play a lot more. Pedro, David Silva and a few others all did it.

Carpasio

He’s turning 34 this month. He really could/should have moved when he was 31 and found another club where he’ll play a lot more. Pedro, David Silva and a few others all did it.
Didn't I hear he has business interests in Manchester which might impact any playing decisions he might make?

Hughes35

He seems like a good guy and he was a decent player but my god it wasn't a good transfer.

I think he's been with us for 8 years?? approx 8.5 million a year = £68million quid + Transfer feee - £108 million.

£100 million quid for the output he has given us is dire.

AndySmith1990

He's been a really underwhelming signing but he's got off lightly due to his nice guy reputation. Doesn't really matter at this point, I wish him all the best for the remainder of his career.

clarkydaz

He seems like a good guy and he was a decent player but my god it wasn't a good transfer.

I think he's been with us for 8 years?? approx 8.5 million a year = £68million quid + Transfer feee - £108 million.

£100 million quid for the output he has given us is dire.
we stuck him on the wing

Marwood

He's been a really underwhelming signing but he's got off lightly due to his nice guy reputation. Doesn't really matter at this point, I wish him all the best for the remainder of his career.
It's not just because he's a nice guy.

I think a lot of fans recognise we've not used him correctly.

Moyes and Mourinho had no interest in the kind of football that suited Mata. Both were more likely to have Fellaini as their 10 over Juan.

LvG was welded to Rooney and played Mata wide right. Never going to work for him.

By the time Ole arrived Juan past his best.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s been retired for quite some time as far as I’m concerned. We’ve just carried on paying him anyway.

Seij

He’s been retired for quite some time as far as I’m concerned. We’ve just carried on paying him anyway.
We're the best retirement home any player can dream of. Just ask Grant. At least we're number 1 in something?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He is maybe past it but he is still the best footballer at the club. I am suprised he has not featured more even with his lack of athleticism.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Weird that he's 34 and so irrelevant. Given his non reliance on pace and physique, you're spot on that he should have moved and got regular football a long time back. On the hand why on earth did we keep this long given he hasn't suited our football since the LVG days and that's 6 years ago now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is maybe past it but he is still the best footballer at the club. I am suprised he has not featured more even with his lack of athleticism.
How many non pressers can a Rangnick team have? As it is the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba etc can't do it.

Similarly for an Ole counter attacking side, Mata doesn't fit

He should have moved to a smaller team where his talent would be revered and other hardworking players would cover up for him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
His fast drop of form is kinda strange seeing how non reliant on pace and athleticism his playstyle is, another one of those what ifs, to top player but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Man Utd 3:2 Norwich

L1nk

Why hasn't he played more this season? When he plays he's the only one that seems interested in keeping the ball moving, recycling posession and actually moving into pockets of spaces to give our players options to pass the ball instead of hoofing it all the time because our players can't be bothered to move. Yes he's leaving but id rather see him on the pitch more than other leavers like Lingard and Pogba

Red_toad

Excellent cameo, took up great positions, calm in possession and brought other into play with ease.

Golden Nugget

Why hasn't he played more this season? When he plays he's the only one that seems interested in keeping the ball moving, recycling posession and actually moving into pockets of spaces to give our players options to pass the ball instead of hoofing it all the time because our players can't be bothered to move. Yes he's leaving but id rather see him on the pitch more than other leavers like Lingard and Pogba
Came here to say something similar. Seen him place twice recently and was impressed - tries harder than anyone and always looks to make space. Really felt he should have played for more games this season

90 + 5min

It is sad that he gets less gametime when he is better player then those two you mentioned. Wonderfull player.

JeffFromHK

him and Matic, though both with legs gone, have something you can find in trophies winning players that many of our players, like Dalot, Telles, Maguire, Rashford, awb, Mctominay, and even Bruno Fernandes don't.

Red-17

Would rather he came on with Hannibal as opposed to Rashford. Actually nice to see him have a decent few appearances at the end of his career here. Sad though that he puts in more of a shift off the ball than some of the younger players.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That's the problem right there, its useless when he does it alone and our 'stars' all want the ball played quick to their feet.

Idxomer

Still the most intelligent player from our collection of wingers and playmakers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Helped see us over the line. Simplifies midfield play. Gets it, gives it to his teammate, moves into space to get it again and keeps the team moving. In a more footballing side, he’d have more life in him, but Manchester United are all about boom, bang, crash, chase and is not the right place for him.

Jev

He's the only player in the squad (except maybe Sancho) who thinks three or four passes ahead when he has the ball. All of the others want to do it all when in possession and then grudgingly resort to passing the ball.

Red-17

That's the problem right there, its useless when he does it alone and our 'stars' all want the ball played quick to their feet.
It seems like a problem endemic with our team. New players seem to bring this fresh movement and creativity and the more they play, the more it gets sucked out of them often enough. Just take Van de Beek for example, yes he has been underwhelming, but the fact that we couldn't even find a situation where he would be a useful squad player is an indictment of how poor our overall movement is on and off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.