Juan Mata

United Pro

Not generally no but it would certainly sweeten their disposition. Teams like Everton dont sign players like Mata every season.
Well if we wanted Stones, I'd assume his name will come up in discussions for Mata. So if they either deny selling or quote us something ridiculous, we should just do the same.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Mata is not a player that can feature consistently in a side challenging for a league title. Since he's moved to England his teams have finished 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Obviously not his fault entirely, but there's clearly a trend (same at Valencia as well). A team like Everton is actually his level.
Garbage.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata was unlucky that he joined us at the time we had 2 clown managers and worst period in 25 years. However he still managed to get around 10 goals and 10 assists each season.
Indeed. Given how much criticism Moyes and Van Gaal get here, you'd think more people would be willing to entertain the idea that they might be the reason Mata failed to match his Chelsea form (despite actually having a better goals per game ratio here, I think).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His wage must be a big stumbling block for any Spanish or Italian side who is interested (though I doubt there's many).

fellaini's barber

25 million? Bite their hand off! Sincerely doubt it though, we are too crap at selling players to pull that off. Won't mind him staying as a squad player though. Will be hilarious if he goes to Everton and does a Drinkwater

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I just visited the Everton forum and they're pretty excited regards signing Mata. They know that paying £25 million for him is a total bargain while some United fans here are arguing we can sell him lower. He is going to be their best player and would improve your them massively because a team is gonna be built around him and that suits him. TBH we shouldn't sell him for anything less than £30 million but I know that won't happen.

I'm really disgusted.
Disgusted over £5m?

Petr1

Mata is not a player that can feature consistently in a side challenging for a league title. Since he's moved to England his teams have finished 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Obviously not his fault entirely, but there's clearly a trend (same at Valencia as well). A team like Everton is actually his level.
Correlation & causation :nono:

TrueRed79

What a load of crap. I'm pretty sure his CL medal, World Cup medal, European Championship medal would disagree with your analysis there fella.

sokol11

What a load of crap. I'm pretty sure his CL medal, World Cup medal, European Championship medal would disagree with your analysis there fella.
How much was he involved in WC an EC triumphs? He was quality no doubt, but on a downward curve and he is not a player he was. He can't play on the wing and we will have other players vying for AMC position. He's on high wages so he cannot sit on a bench to be an inpact player for such wages so I really think it's a no brainer to sell him. But such a likeable fella.

Reactions: Duafc

nazanto

35m or feck of Everton. If Troy "Na'vi" Deeney can cost 30m, why the lovely Mata will go for less? They got money now didn't they.
*Hugs to all!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's so strange going on the Everton message board and seeing their fans on twitter creaming over the possibility of signing him

It makes you realise how big United are when our unwanted players are so saught after
They've only got his highlights and goals in mind. They haven't just endured a season of him offering almost zero threat on the right wing.

OohAahMartial

Remarkable. Page 7 without any solid links, starting from a known dodgy twitter source. Wonder how many pages we can get to before we receive a bid.

Revan

Assumptionman
If it is Everton, then ask for 35m+ or no deal.

Best option is to include him as part of Pog's deal for Juve. They were interested for him not long ago. 60m pounds + Mata for Pogba would probably be a good deal for everyone involved.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
As a starter, Everton is closer to his level than a club aiming for titles year after year (which is what United is aiming for.)
The best he can really hope for is to be a bench player/impact substitute for a top side.

At Everton they'll just be so happy to have him and his goals that they'll be less bothered about his weaknesses.
Top managers building top sides will be bothered, however. Which is why he'd never get into a top side, and never has been in one.

He's not on 'bench player' wages, so it makes sense to sell if a good enough offer comes in. He'll probably be back at Valencia before long, whether he moves to Everton or not.

Last edited:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
All this talk about 'his Chelsea form'

He benefited from a couple of poor managers who never managed to get Chelsea playing serious football or playing with any decent balance. He also benefited from Terry, Ivanovic, Drogba, Cahill nodding in his set-pieces.

They were poor in the league until a proper manager came in and got rid of Mata.
He wasn't even a key man in their Champions League success (which people always bring up), which was achieved through good fortune as much as anything.
They were a better team in 14/15 than in the season they won the Champions League.

A proper manager aims for balance to his side, and Mata just doesn't do much to help with that. He can't dribble past people, can't shield the ball, is a 'final ball' player and not overly creative/skilled at picking locks. He does little to help defensively. He goes missing, and can be easily bullied into giving up possession and/or passing sideways and backwards.

Everton wont be bothered because he'll simply add goals/assists, but better teams/managers will care.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't really understand why we're selling him and if we are 20m seems an absurdly low amount in the current market. 30m should be the bare minimum

ThanksBoss26

I don't really understand why we're selling him and if we are 20m seems an absurdly low amount in the current market. 30m should be the bare minimum
I can see it being around £25m unless more than one club follows through with that interest to drive up the price.

Wouldn't surprise me if West Ham one of the others interested. Just a hunch more than anything.

United Pro

I can see it being around £25m unless more than one club follows through with that interest to drive up the price.

Wouldn't surprise me if West Ham one of the others interested. Just a hunch more than anything.
Certainly hope West Ham are one as they'd surely bid £31m.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't think they could afford his wages, Atletico could but for the role he'd play in their team they won't.
Atletico have a wage cap on players, they don't pay much and can't compete with the PL with their current system.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Everyone keeps writing Everton off. They have just been taken over and have a large transfer kitty, coupled with the fact they've got themselves a very good manager in. The team they have isn't half bad, with Mata in their ranks and a few other sensible additions they could be a threat to anyone next season.