Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We have been heavily linked to complete Grealish signing before April and now this news about Bellingham, I think Ed has learnt his lessons and now trying to do early business.

Seems Bruno's success is rubbing on Ed too, At this pace if we complete 2 signings before May then we can focus on someone like Sancho or one more major signing once window opens in summer.
Ed is just afraid those 20-30 people would come back taunting him. Since not even one of them is caught yet.

stepic

Or you could be like Arsenal were in Wenger’s second half and never actually arrive. All your good players ‘will be good players in a couple of years’.

It’s an important balance to be struck. The first thing to remember is that half of these players will never amount to much anyway. You could bet big on a tomorrow that never arrives. Then when that happens, the team itself never arrives, and then the one or two players who do actually become top players want to leave to go and play at a team that can win things, because they are surrounded by players who are not up to it, and the club’s solution is to being in a few more 18 year olds and ask them to wait another few years again.

I’m all for bringing in talented young players, but first and foremost, a club should try to be competitive in the coming season ideally.
weve just signed the likes of Bruno, Maguire and AWB, none of which are ‘for tomorrow’ so What lack of balance are you talking about?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Or you could be like Arsenal were in Wenger’s second half and never actually arrive. All your good players ‘will be good players in a couple of years’.

It’s an important balance to be struck. The first thing to remember is that half of these players will never amount to much anyway. You could bet big on a tomorrow that never arrives. Then when that happens, the team itself never arrives, and then the one or two players who do actually become top players want to leave to go and play at a team that can win things, because they are surrounded by players who are not up to it, and the club’s solution is to being in a few more 18 year olds and ask them to wait another few years again.

I’m all for bringing in talented young players, but first and foremost, a club should try to be competitive in the coming season ideally.
Arsenal arrived under Wenger due to his foresight and long-term planning. Vieira, Henry, Anelka etc were signed as young players. Henry wasn't doing particularly well either at Juventus when Wenger signed him from Juve. Those signings propelled Arsenal to rub shoulders with the elite of Europe. There was many other young players too who made the step up and were bought for measly sums or promoted from the youth to form a strong foundation for Wenger to win his league titles.

I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't have a balance when it comes to recruitment. But it makes more sense in trying to sign the best 16 year olds in the world and supplementing top class youth with ready made players for the first team IMO. We've bought Mejbri and Emeran for significant sums recently and beat off some very big clubs in doing so. So it would make sense to give them the time and patience to develop. That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign the likes of Grealish etc to come straight into the first team. But rather that will mean we will save a significant chunk of money in the longrun which could be better invested else where and would strengthen the foundation of the team. A foundation that had been severely damaged under the previous manager and his scatter gun approach to transfers.

Bondi77

Is playing week in week out in the Championship....at 16. This doesnt happen often. Happens pretty much only a few times in a generation.
Sessegnon was killing it in the Championship a few seasons ago admittedly he was a couple of years older.

croadyman

---------------Henderson-----------------
AWB--Tuanzebe-Maguire--Shaw
-------McTominay-Bellingham-----
Sancho------Grealish----Rashford
---------------Greenwood----------------

Brexit FC is back baby :devil:
That is very true but a Brexit FC that involves top talents like Sancho & Grealish along with a potential gem like Bellingham is very different to one that includes the likes of Longstaff & Rice but then that is just my opinion on the matter

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If he's loaned out, I'd hope he'd be playing at a Premier League level. But I don't see why he couldn't just come in right away. It's probably what Dortmund are offering - doubtful they're spunking loads of cash on him to loan him back to Birmingham. If Pogba's off in the summer we definitely will have plenty of game time for him and there's great value in him training with our team as opposed to Birmingham (no disrespect).
I don't know about that, honestly. Fabregas is the last ridiculously young player I can remember in central midfield at a club in England legitimately expected to challenge for the league with all the pressures and stresses that brings even for unprepared (mentally) players with bags of experience and international caps.

Ole has had more room to experiment this season due to how things have panned out, but from the get go, next, we'll be playing for the title and the point tallies needed don't allow much margin for error or blooding of youngsters unless they're insanely talented and/or of certain constitution (mental fortititude). Is that fair on Bellingham? He's in relative nowheresville at the moment not playing for anything much; perhaps a playoff place, but even that's not expected.

He could obviously come here and take to the game and the league like a duck to water, but, at 16-17, if he doesn't, it shouldn't be a mark against him, but we're not going to entertain growing pains if we're not getting those crucial points on the board - from any youngster, not even Bellingham, per se.

A great scenario would be that we have a strong midfield with a solid rotation that allows for a nurtured player to come in without the standard slipping. Pogba (I'll assume he stays), Fernandes, Fred, McTominay, Partey (as an example), Matic (in his resurgent form) and Bellingham, would comfortably be one of the best midfield units in the league, but then, game time for all of them would be the challenge, wouldn't it?
Matt Busby via a seance. It'll be like the scene at the end of Return of the Jedi.
:lol:
I don’t get the idea that we loan him back to Birmingham. Championship football is a decent level and he’s very comfortable with that. Surely he needs to step up to continue his rapid progress and getting 10-12 starts with us next season in the cups and odd PL fixtures will be best for him. Chelsea wouldn’t dream of loaning that Gilmour lad out, nor City with Foden and if this kid is as good as they say he needs to be valued and nurtured in the same way.
I've questioned the best way to bring someone like Bellingham on in this thread. Not that I have the answer, but I highlighted just how rare it is for ridiculously young CM's to enter the men's game, even, let alone be part of *big* clubs and their immediate plans. I said that I'm not sure Birmingham, or the Championship itself, is even optimal as you've got a talent who should be getting the absolute best of everything to draw out all his potential, which he simply cannot get at a club in the Championship. There again, will a top club give him the chance to spread his wings and develop whilst affording him the kind of playing time he is used to? It seems absurd to even suggest he go into the reserves or anything of the sort after already proving himself in the Championship, but then, if he's sent off on a loan, even to another PL club, we can't keep an eye on him or be certain he's getting the kind of coaching and challenges to ensure he's the best version of himself at all stages of development.

Seems to be a unique challenge to bring someone like him in and also ensure his rate of development is not curtailed.
Regarding the Dortmund links. People maybe forget the impact going to Dortmund would have on family life. The kid is still 16 he won’t want to go on his own nor will his parents want to leave him.

United makes much more sense and is much less of a life upheaval for the family. Money is important clearly but not everything
Don't know what kind of 16yr old you were, but if that were me, I'd have been buzzing going to a new country at that age. Depends on his personality, that; homebody, likely to get homesick etc.? Or outgoing and excited at the thought of having some freedom to get on not just in terms of football, but growing up, too?

He'll also be 17 next season, which is an age when many a teen is itching to become their own person.
Based on the fee alone he seems like a Wayne Rooney level talent. Great business if we pull it off, also a big feck you to Dortmund.
As someone else said, he'd be £100m if he were a Rooney level talent. They don't come around often at all and the hype if one did in England in this day and age would be stratospheric.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's great news we're pulling out all the stops for him; certainly displays to both him and his handlers how much we want him and regard him as a player.

It gives him something to think about, especially if his mind is not mind up. I suppose a lot of this depends on how the kid perceives his own ability and what he feels he could do in a squad up against lots of midfielders who would be vying with him for a start or even place on the bench - for all we know, he may be 'quietly confident' in his ability to come in and usurp. Would be great if he's got those kind of stones on him.

If we manage to get him, it will be very interesting indeed to see how we handle both his and Mejbri's playing time, or even, what we do with them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's great news we're pulling out all the stops for him; certainly displays to both him and his handlers how much we want him and regard him as a player.

It gives him something to think about, especially if his mind is not mind up. I suppose a lot of this depends on how the kid perceives his own ability and what he feels he could do in a squad up against lots of midfielders who would be vying with him for a start or even place on the bench - for all we know, he may be 'quietly confident' in his ability to come in and usurp. Would be great if he's got those kind of stones on him.

If we manage to get him, it will be very interesting indeed to see how we handle both his and Mejbri's playing time, or even, what we do with them.
Yes, so hopefully people won't overreact if we lose him. We can't force him to sign, looks like we are trying our best to sign him and ultimately it's with the player.

Going by few sites, he has played as CM, AM, winger/wide midfield too. So if we sign he should get games in various positions.

Tarrou

I'm pretty sure if we drop £30m+ on him we aren't going to loan him back

he'll have a squad player role and replace one of Lingard or Perreira I reckon

Ekeke

He's a ball winning midfielder who can dribble. He makes the most tackles out of his teams regular starters, but he's been used as a left midfielder in his last 7 games in the championship. Before that he was used as one of the two DMs in a 4-2-3-1 and scored. And then the run of games before that he played right midfield.

He hasnt been playing as a number 10 like Pereira or Lingard. He'd either continue to play from the side of midfield (a position we dont use in our current tactics) or take up one of the two DM positions that Pereira and Lingard aren't likely to be strong contenders for. We'd either change our formation to have a 4 across midfield so he can play on the side, or he'd be competing for a place with McTominay, Fred, Matic and perhaps Pogba if he stays

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

. If he's replacing those two, his appearances will be restricted due to his age and stage of his development.

That's the dilemma for Utd but I think they've worked it out. League Cup games and a sub here and there in the PL and Europe. Pre season tour too( if that ever happens:nervous: )He'll be 17 so about the same age Greenwood appeared

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This kid is ready for first team football. Physically more advanced than a Foden.

-Supreme-

We need a DM, I think that's actually the most important signing we need to make alongside RW, our ceiling as a team lifts massively if we can acquire a very good one.
Admittedly I have only seen YouTube clips of Bellingham and he appears to be another box to box midfielder with good defensive work. This could suggest that we aren't looking for a pure DM? Who knows...

I'd rather have Grealish over a DM for much needed squad rotation and cover for Bruno

Mainoldo

Just because 1 player was dumb we have to assume everyone is dumb.
Dumb for not idolising a guy he’s never witness play live? It’s like when a lot of players said Gazza was there idol and we bloody well know they never seen him play :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dumb for not idolising a guy he’s never witness play live? It’s like when a lot of players said Gazza was there idol and we bloody well know they never seen him play :lol:
No, read the post again. No one talked about idolizing player.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Admittedly I have only seen YouTube clips of Bellingham and he appears to be another box to box midfielder with good defensive work. This could suggest that we aren't looking for a pure DM? Who knows...

I'd rather have Grealish over a DM for much needed squad rotation and cover for Bruno
.....................Garner..............
.....Bellingham.........Hanibal
Chong.......Greenwood....Gomes

well thats the U23's sorted then (best crop of youth since class of 92?) - perhaps we can also buy somebody for the first team though given we are almost 40 points behind Liverpool

Litch

Sadly some of our second string young players maybe aren't as good as we would have hoped they would be and we need to pursue other young players.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Sadly some of our second string young players maybe aren't as good as we would have hoped they would be and we need to pursue other young players.
You can’t have a class of 92 breaking through in every position every season ffs. Sometimes the quality is out there and you have to hold your hands up and sign a teenage Rooney from Everton rather than hoping Sylvan Ebanks-Blake can cut it.

We already have Greenwood, Williams, Henderson who look first team quality. This is not the time to shit on our youth recruitment/quality. This is a step in the right direction.

meamth

He's a ball winning midfielder who can dribble. He makes the most tackles out of his teams regular starters, but he's been used as a left midfielder in his last 7 games in the championship. Before that he was used as one of the two DMs in a 4-2-3-1 and scored. And then the run of games before that he played right midfield.

He hasnt been playing as a number 10 like Pereira or Lingard. He'd either continue to play from the side of midfield (a position we dont use in our current tactics) or take up one of the two DM positions that Pereira and Lingard aren't likely to be strong contenders for. We'd either change our formation to have a 4 across midfield so he can play on the side, or he'd be competing for a place with McTominay, Fred, Matic and perhaps Pogba if he stays
What I understand from this is basically he is a solid all round player who is very skillful and great physique?

Sign him right away.

Bellingham + McT..wow.

Tarrou

do you think he'll end up as a DM long term?

I think he looks more of a box to box player but seems pretty versatile. Incredible that he's already played that many different roles in the Champs at his age.

Ekeke

do you think he'll end up as a DM long term?

I think he looks more of a box to box player but seems pretty versatile. Incredible that he's already played that many different roles in the Champs at his age.
I dont know, but our DMs get forward at times so theres no reason he wouldnt also

Suvvernmanc

This kid is ready for first team football. Physically more advanced than a Foden.
He will be stronger and taller than Foden and would suit a CM role more for certain styles but in this day and age the ball is on the floor alot more so Fodens physical attributes would suit more in that regard. Fodens talent is unquestionably fantastic as it is with Bellingham.

Bellingham has already racked up nearly as many career minutes as Foden. (About 200 minutes difference) And hes only 16. The kid has a bright future that is for sure

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Clearly Cantona wasn't involved ffs :lol: Fergie was there - and that was probably more for the Dad.

He'd probably be more impressed meeting people like Pogba and Rashford anyway. Let's hope we didn't make it too Disneyland and concentrated on how we can help him improve.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I genuinely think we are a sancho or chiesa signing away from being challengers again. We just need to figure out how to break down the teams that sit back, buy some squad depth and keep our players injury free and we have a really good team again. The average age is fine. Maguire, Fred DDG and Bruno are all in or supposed to be in their prime. Players like Bailey shaw and Awb really stepping it up. Our young players have been really good this year. Rashford has been unplayable at times and Greenwood looks like a seriously top talent. I’m starting to feel it’s a case of when not if we get back to challenging again. Instead of signing older players we are putting in a solid foundation for years to come.

edit: spending 100 million plus on a player is not something arsenal do no matter the age. Sancho is still very young but he’s too good (and expensive) for the likes of arsenal. I don’t think there’s a better option out there of any age.
I share your sentiments regarding our current state. I think, all being equal, we can be in the mix as early as next season.

My initial response was about what you said about the strategy in general. Arsene Wenger sold every Arsenal player once they hit 30. Experienced title-winning players. The likes of Henry, Gilberto, Vieira and co. Kids were leading kids. The likes of Denilson, Vela and many others did not make it. The likes of Nasri and Fabregas did, and when they did, they demanded to leave because of the rubbish they had around them. Persie hung on as long as he could out of loyalty, but when Arsenal has sold their last 3 captains in the few years before - it was unfair for him to be part of it.

I think personally we are doing it the right way, although we should not lose sight and continue to keep a firm eye on today.

Ekeke

What I understand from this is basically he is a solid all round player who is very skillful and great physique?

Sign him right away.

Bellingham + McT..wow.
Pretty much, but obviously he doesnt have a lot of experience playing centrally even in the championship (10 matches) let alone the premier league. So its possible he'd start slowly at United and might be about this time next year before he's starting game after game in the premier league. Or perhaps we'd go the Fletcher route and get him some premier league game time under his belt in a wide position before moving him into the middle after he settles at the club

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never watch him but based on YouTube video, he has some similarity to Pogba's style. Has flair, can dribble & his physical attribute remind me of the 18 years old of Pogba, which is not bad for a 16 years old. Most 16 years old would be bullied easily playing in men's football.

30m sounds expensive for a 16 years old. However, for a player who can start 25 times so far already in Championship level, that's an impressive one, it means this kid is something else. 30m can be a bargain for future.

johanovic

For me United are about giving youth a chance like we did with Busby and then Ferguson. In Tuanzebe,Williams,Mengi,Laird,Garner,Levitt,Gomes,Chong,Greenwood,Mebjri,Galbraith plus a few others in the u18 we have a great pool of talent bursting through. We have the youngest team in the PL and looking back on the last few years Rashford and McTominey could be described as the most influental players and both coming through the youth teams. Now Greenwood and Williams are coming through with a lot of the other youngsters looking likely to do so. Adding Bellingham to that pool seems to me a a very smart move both for the player and United.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Never watch him but based on YouTube video, he has some similarity to Pogba's style. Has flair, can dribble & his physical attribute remind me of the 18 years old of Pogba, which is not bad for a 16 years old. Most 16 years old would be bullied easily playing in men's football.

30m sounds expensive for a 16 years old. However, for a player who can start 25 times so far already in Championship level, that's an impressive one, it means this kid is something else. 30m can be a bargain for future.
He has a similar running style but I’d say he gets stuck in far more at this age. He loves a tackle. That reminds me of McT in many ways

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Did we rally have Tevez and Berbatov in there too:eek:
Truly unreal when you look back. Then you have people on here saying ‘how are we going to keep Rashford, Martial, Haaland and Greenwood happy’

meamth

For me United are about giving youth a chance like we did with Busby and then Ferguson. In Tuanzebe,Williams,Mengi,Laird,Garner,Levitt,Gomes,Chong,Greenwood,Mebjri,Galbraith plus a few others in the u18 we have a great pool of talent bursting through. We have the youngest team in the PL and looking back on the last few years Rashford and McTominey could be described as the most influental players and both coming through the youth teams. Now Greenwood and Williams are coming through with a lot of the other youngsters looking likely to do so. Adding Bellingham to that pool seems to me a a very smart move both for the player and United.
The Busby babes, signing all the top young english players,
Fergie signing wonderkids before stars,

We certainly are heading back to that direction. Exciting times ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.