Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea-Cow

He’s a super talent I think. To be as good as he is at his age is scary. He’s odds on to be a midfield star if he makes the right move. Can do everything.

Well that is high praise indeed. I am interested in following his career, either with us or someone else.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All the videos I've seen are just showcasing his dribbling and skills with the ball at his feet. Those aspects are a great bonus and the lack of anyone in our team (other than Pogba, Rashford and Martial) able to take players on is one of the reasons we've struggled to break teams down the last few years, but they still aren't the most important things for a midfielder. How is his passing, creativity and vision? People talk about him being good defensively - is it through good positioning or just a large workrate so he's rushing back to help out? Has anyone here actually seen him enough to be able to answer those questions?

We need an rvn

I’ve also started noticing that he’s decently 2 footed. Not on someone like masons level but he’s not afraid to shoot cross or pass with the left when he needs to. I’d really like us to get this lad and start taking these world class potential youngsters and using them as squad players to start with.
Remember reading an article about him how one day in training when he was younger he told the coach he only wanted to use his left foot for the entire training session as he wanted to work on it. Great attitude to have

sport2793

All the videos I've seen are just showcasing his dribbling and skills with the ball at his feet. Those aspects are a great bonus and the lack of anyone in our team (other than Pogba, Rashford and Martial) able to take players on is one of the reasons we've struggled to break teams down the last few years, but they still aren't the most important things for a midfielder. How is his passing, creativity and vision? People talk about him being good defensively - is it through good positioning or just a large workrate so he's rushing back to help out? Has anyone here actually seen him enough to be able to answer those questions?
Gosh the kid is 16, surely there is time for him to improve on all of those aspects?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Gosh the kid is 16, surely there is time for him to improve on all of those aspects?
Of course he's going to improve. But whatever level he is at the moment is a good indication of where he will end up. The likes of Pogba, Scholes, Xavi, Alonso, etc didn't just suddenly develop the ability to make amazing passes when they were 18. They always had the ability, and as the matured they then improved on that both through technique and decision making. The same will be true of Bellingham. If he's only average at the moment then it's highly doubtful that it's ever going to be an actual strength of his game. But if it's something that he's already good at then it is a promising sign that he will have that along with his obvious ability with the ball at his feet. Hence my question to anyone who has actually seen him play, since that aspect of his game is pretty much ignored in the videos.

The defensive attributes are more likely to change significantly as he matures, but it's still interesting to know where he is at the moment.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
A lack of something don't always mean you can't do it. Sometimes it's not required or asked of you. Often we see with kids, they add bits to their game with confidence. You get exceptions but the risk is you try to much. Keep it simple. I don't think we can judge his passing game at this point in time. Unless theirs a video of him trying all these long balls, that fly out the stadium, we should wait and see what he's about in a different team with different demands/expectations.

rotherham_red

Of course he's going to improve. But whatever level he is at the moment is a good indication of where he will end up. The likes of Pogba, Scholes, Xavi, Alonso, etc didn't just suddenly develop the ability to make amazing passes when they were 18. They always had the ability, and as the matured they then improved on that both through technique and decision making. The same will be true of Bellingham. If he's only average at the moment then it's highly doubtful that it's ever going to be an actual strength of his game. But if it's something that he's already good at then it is a promising sign that he will have that along with his obvious ability with the ball at his feet. Hence my question to anyone who has actually seen him play, since that aspect of his game is pretty much ignored in the videos.

The defensive attributes are more likely to change significantly as he matures, but it's still interesting to know where he is at the moment.
Pogba at 18 in the first team was nowhere near as expressive as Bellingham at 16, albeit at a lower level.

Drainy

A lack of something don't always mean you can't do it. Sometimes it's not required or asked of you. Often we see with kids, they add bits to their game with confidence. You get exceptions but the risk is you try to much. Keep it simple. I don't think we can judge his passing game at this point in time. Unless theirs a video of him trying all these long balls, that fly out the stadium, we should wait and see what he's about in a different team with different demands/expectations.
Agreed, and the perfect example would be Rashford. When he was promoted to the first team he played a very basic game, and most people who have watched him would tell others that he is a flair player with great technique and its just a lack of confidence or instruction (and with Rashford strength) that meant we weren't seeing the true player he is in Mens football.

uBradPittBRO?

He’s a super talent I think. To be as good as he is at his age is scary. He’s odds on to be a midfield star if he makes the right move. Can do everything.
This is the first video I actually watch of him playing and first impressions :

Good technique
Good stepovers
End product = zero
Not impressed with shooting ability (either first defender or straight at GK)
Not impressed with passing (again first defender or just not hitting his target)

Basically 4 minutes of a step over followed by a pass or a shot that is blocked by the first defender. But in his defence that video does not show a lot of his midfield qualities..... passing range, positioning, movement, tackling.

So based on this video alone, I am 100% certain that he is the true heir of Antonio Valencia.

arthurka

Good technique
Good stepovers
End product = zero
Not impressed with passing (again first defender or just not hitting his target)

Basically 4 minutes of a step over followed by a pass or a shot that is blocked by the first defender. But in his defence that video does not show a lot of his midfield qualities..... passing range, positioning, movement, tackling.

So based on this video alone, I am 100% certain that he is the true heir of Antonio Valencia.
Hahaha

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Good technique
Good stepovers
End product = zero

Antonio Valencia has never done a step over in his life.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The vid posted by @Rozay shows him playing in a wide midfield role which would bode well as far as game time goes. So his versatility would really help in his development before he's ready to take fulltime responsibility in a central role.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I actually think this is the best decision he could make to work on himself in the Bundesliga like Sancho. Would also explain the Van De Beek links, we need an alternative.

Champagne Football

I wonder is there any chance we can land Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa instead? I seriously doubt it seem as Villa have wealthy owners. But he's meant to be every bit as good as Bellingham and plays similar position.

But yes I think we might be signing one of Grealish or Van De Beek with the money that was meant to be spent on Bellingham.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

No surprise there, Dortmund has a great record with buying kids from all around Europe and give them playtime, I don't think he would have had much chance at regular 1st team football for us anyway with the current VdB/Havertz/Tolisso links

It's still a shame to miss out on him but It's not like he went to a rival club, he'll be on the market soon enough if he meets the expectations set around him anyway

He's off to Dortmund. When it comes to Dortmund transfers, Bild are miles ahead of everyone else as they were also with the Haaland transfer, when all the English media were saying Haaland was but a certainty for Utd, while Bild were saying he has chosen his new club and it definitely wasn't Man Utd.

... BILD knows: Bellingham would like to move to Dortmund. Only his signature is missing. Nevertheless, he belongs in the category: almost certainly.

https://m.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/bvb-watzke-ueber-transferstopp-so-ist-es-bei-bellingham-und-meunier-69708062.bildMobile.html###wt_ref=https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/frscri/bild_the_transfers_from_england_highflyer_jude/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_title&wt_t=1585593215574
Re Bellingham supposedly opting for Dortmund

Not saying Bild aren’t right now

But this was March. How many other stories have they had saying it since then when as many others from other sources have said United were in pole position

Champagne Football

But this was March. How many other stories have they had saying it since then when as many others from other sources have said United were in pole position
It was confirmed by Christian Falk an hour ago that he's off to Dortmund. Read the Utdreport tweet/interview

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wonder is there any chance we can land Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa instead? I seriously doubt it seem as Villa have wealthy owners. But he's meant to be every bit as good as Bellingham and plays similar position.

But yes I think we might be signing one of Grealish or Van De Beek with the money that was meant to be spent on Bellingham.
There’s always going to be a chance we can land a player from Aston fecking Villa if we and the player were committed to the move.

mu4c_20le

He'll get more opportunities there and sooner. It was always a bit harsh to drop one of Fred/McTominay for him.

Mark Pawelek

I wonder is there any chance we can land Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa instead? I seriously doubt it seem as Villa have wealthy owners. But he's meant to be every bit as good as Bellingham and plays similar position ...
Rumours have us chasing loads of midfield wonderkids and prospects.
  • Adil Aouchiche
  • Carney Chukwuemeka
  • Daniel Kelly
  • Eduardo Camavinga
  • Jude Bellingham
  • Ryan Gravenberch

izec

The issue is all the sources that said we are in a great position aren't half as reliable as Bild. It was in March, but SportBild said the same thing last week (Falk is working for Sportbild). While we only got ESPN saying we are leading, and they are a shit source.

croadyman

I still think he could play for United in a few years time after gaining some experience in the Bundesliga

MetoTTT

I think he made the right choice to bring the next level imo. If he proves he worth it maybe we'll come back for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ogden and Castles have reported that we're leading the chase. Castles reported that the player was leaning towards United. Bild reported in March that Bellingham had chosen BVB and Falk is the chief sports writer at Bild/sport Bild. Not long after the report from Bild, Jude Bellingham and his parents visited Carrington. So if everything had been agreed with BVB, why would the player and his parents visit Carrington?

In the last few days Birmingham based journo Neil Moxley reported that the players father was leaning towards Dortmund due to the fear his son would only be on the fringes of the United first team. I would think he could face similar issues at Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.