Jude Bellingham | Confirmed Borussia Dortmund player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
I’ve only seen him play a few times but £31m is crazy money for what I saw, he didn’t really stand out as special except for the fact he’s sixteen..

crossy1686

career ending
I’ve only seen him play a few times but £31m is crazy money for what I saw, he didn’t really stand out as special except for the fact he’s sixteen..
You're saying that a 16 year old holding his own on a pitch of fully grown men didn't stand out as special? Or you wanted a 16 year old to be spraying 40 yard passes or dribbling past multiple players before he looks special?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Dortmund have already bid that amount, I feel they will come to an agreement.

Deery

Dreary
You're saying that a 16 year old holding his own on a pitch of fully grown men didn't stand out as special? Or you wanted a 16 year old to be spraying 40 yard passes or dribbling past multiple players before he looks special?
I’m saying holding his own was impressive because he is sixteen but apart from that I didn’t see anything else to suggest the massive fee.

I think £18m would be fair price..

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’m saying holding his own was impressive because he is sixteen but apart from that I didn’t see anything else to suggest the massive fee.

I think £18m would be fair price..
You don't pay for what they're worth now at 16 though. That's not how it works. £18m will only get you a decent championship player these days.

Deery

Dreary
You don't pay for what they're worth now at 16 though. That's not how it works. £18m will only get you a decent championship player these days.
Yeah, but there’s a chance he doesn’t get any better and we payed over the odds for him too

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think Birmingham will accept anything less than what they're due. The money here isn't to buy out the players registration but rather to compensate Birmingham for the players development.

There was also talk of BVB offering the player 60k a week which looks quite doubful now. I wouldn't be surprised if the German club has decided to pull the plug on the deal and is feeding the German media excuses right now. But hopefully all should be cleared up in 11 days time when the player turns 17.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I don't think Birmingham will accept anything less than what they're due. The money here isn't to buy out the players registration but rather to compensate Birmingham for the players development.

There was also talk of BVB offering the player 60k a week which looks quite doubful now. I wouldn't be surprised if the German club has decided to pull the plug on the deal and is feeding the German media excuses right now. But hopefully all should be cleared up in 11 days time when the player turns 17.
Once he turns 17 what happens in terms of his contract etc and how does this effect any potential purchase? I'm not very clued up on it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, but there’s a chance he doesn’t get any better and we payed over the odds for him too
Of course, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to pay less because you're the one that's gambling.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund are jokers. They have sold Dembele and Pulisic for daft money over the last couple of years and they're bidding €20m for one of England's brightest prospects.
I mean Pulisic and Dembele were players who had proven themselves at a top team in a foreign league and in the CL. Bellingham is a 16 year old kid playing in the 2nd division at home. There is a lot more uncertainty around him and there is the Corona factor as well as the questions about his contract situation, so naturally the fee for him won't even come close to the two players you have named. It's hardly rocket science.
As far as I know Dortmund bought Sancho for around €10m and a share of future profits.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Once he turns 17 what happens in terms of his contract etc and how does this effect any potential purchase? I'm not very clued up on it.
Birmingham based journo Neil Moxley explained it and said that Birmingham are due compensation from the club that eventually signs the player. The player also appeared over 30 times for the club in the first team which will be taken into account in the compensation package which was a very deliberate ploy to cover all bases by Birmingham. So it's reported that Birmingham are due £30m plus from whomever the player opts to sign a contact with as compensation.

It doesn't make sense for BVB to sign the player due to the current climate and the sums that are required imo. Unless they make a sale.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Birmingham based journo Neil Moxley explained it and said that Birmingham are due compensation from the club that eventually signs the player. The player also appeared over 30 times for the club in the first team which will be taken into account in the compensation package which was a very deliberate ploy to cover all bases by Birmingham. So it's reported that Birmingham are due £30m plus from whomever the player opts to sign a contact with as compensation.

It doesn't make sense for BVB to sign the player due to the current climate and the sums that are required imo. Unless they make a sale.
I'm not sure things really are that clear. When BVB was about to sign Sancho, who was still on a scholarship contract as well, reports were that these things aren't really enforceable against German/foreign clubs and that he could sue his way out of it, so both clubs settled for a fairly modest fee, Dortmund avoiding a legal dispute and City getting something rather than nothing.

Denis' cuff

Rash (well yes, hope he'll be world class one day), McT (yes, I like him, still young but not good enough to win titles again atm), Williams (well...wait and see. Not sure he'll be something special), Tuanzebe (same as Williams), Fred (well, I was behind him in the 1st season, happy to be right about him).
McTom here to stay, pal. Fixture. Top man.

glad you/we were right btw

Gordon S

How many cm´s have had an almost full season as a regular starter at a good level at age 16? Fabregas?Milner?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure things really are that clear. When BVB was about to sign Sancho, who was still on a scholarship contract as well, reports were that these things aren't really enforceable against German/foreign clubs and that he could sue his way out of it, so both clubs settled for a fairly modest fee, Dortmund avoiding a legal dispute and City getting something rather than nothing.
There's a difference between the Sancho's and Bellingham's in that regard. Sancho was unhappy and didn't have a affiliation with Man City. While Bellingham is a Birmingham lad through and through and it's reported that the player and his family have a fantastic relationship with the club. Hence why Birmingham journo Neil Moxley reported that BCFC are relaxed about the situation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There's a difference between the Sancho's and Bellingham's in that regard. Sancho was unhappy and didn't have a affiliation with Man City. While Bellingham is a Birmingham lad through and through and it's reported that the player and his family have a fantastic relationship with the club. Hence why Birmingham journo Neil Moxley reported that BCFC are relaxed about the situation.
If the only difference between the cases is goodwill from the player's side, then that could change e.g. if Birmingham price out his preferred destination, depending on how flexible he is regarding different destinations.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If the only difference between the cases is goodwill from the player's side, then that could change e.g. if Birmingham price out his preferred destination, depending on how flexible he is regarding different destinations.
Another difference is that Sancho wanted to leave while Bellingham wants/wanted to stay at Birmingham. Birmingham could also opt to keep him on loan for a season if United would agree to such a deal but that's something United were reported to be non committal about before.

Birmingham have financial difficulties but they do hold the cards with a number of clubs interested in the player with one club in particular reported to be more than happy to pay the price.

davidmichael

Dortmund are jokers. They have sold Dembele and Pulisic for daft money over the last couple of years and they're bidding €20m for one of England's brightest prospects.
Exactly, teams know that Dortmund have received a lot of money over the last few years for players and will get anywhere between £75-£115 million for Sancho is they sell him on so Dortmund lowballing isn’t going to work especially in this COVID-19 era we're in.

Also are Birmingham in a bad situation financially ? As in do they NEED to sell Bellingham ? I think Birmingham would do a deal at £25 million or maybe £22 million with £10 million in potential add ons.

It’s clear that Sancho is our number one priority but if we signed Sancho and Bellingham this summer whilst moving on the deadwood then I’d consider that a brilliant summers transfer business.

I think everything with Grealish depends on Pogba going and by the looks of it Pogba isn’t going so I don’t see the need to spend £50-£70 million on Grealish when we could sign Bellingham and then build Bellingham and Mejbri up as a long term Pogba/Fernandes partnership.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Another difference is that Sancho wanted to leave while Bellingham wants/wanted to stay at Birmingham. Birmingham could also opt to keep him on loan for a season if United would agree to such a deal but that's something United were reported to be non committal about before.

Birmingham have financial difficulties but they do hold the cards with a number of clubs interested in the player with one club in particular reported to be more than happy to pay the price.

I mean if he wants to stay at Birmingham he would just sign a new contract, no? As so often it's actually the player who holds all the cards if he's still on a scholarship contract. It's his decision whether he wants to threaten Birmingham with just getting a FIFA compensation or with sitting out his contract for another year and then moving for free.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The real sad thing is.... Dortmund are only buying him just to cash in on him in 2 to 3 years. Its basically their whole business plan these days isn't it?

If he prefers Dortmund... walk away. We've got Garner n Mejbri anyway who look superb prospects who play in similar positions. We don't need him like we do a top winger.

Infestissumam

The real sad thing is.... Dortmund are only buying him just to cash in on him in 2 to 3 years. Its basically their whole business plan these days isn't it?

If he prefers Dortmund... walk away. We've got Garner n Mejbri anyway who look superb prospects who play in similar positions. We don't need him like we do a top winger.
thing is ... I'm a diehard United fan and I'd probably go to Dortmund too if I were in his shoes. They"ll give him a lot of playing time and chances in a good league and in the CL, and once a big club calls in a couple of years they won't stand in your way. It's a perfect situation for an up and coming star and players know it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I mean if he wants to stay at Birmingham he would just sign a new contract, no? As so often it's actually the player who holds all the cards if he's still on a scholarship contract. It's his decision whether he wants to threaten Birmingham with just getting a FIFA compensation or with sitting out his contract for another year and then moving for free.
I think the issue is the club will have to pay him in line with his growing status as a pro which seems to be the issue. Birmingham are also financially troubled and have been reprimanded for breaking FFP rules and were docked 9pts in March 2019. They were reprimanded again for the same offense earlier this season and narrowly escaped a 12 pts deduction which would've likely meant relegation.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
thing is ... I'm a diehard United fan and I'd probably go to Dortmund too if I were in his shoes. They"ll give him a lot of playing time and chances in a good league and in the CL, and once a big club calls in a couple of years they won't stand in your way. It's a perfect situation for an up and coming star and players know it.
Oh for sure it's not a bad move at all. He's probably going there knowing he will get a bigger move most likely later on. And more money too. Similar to Sancho n Haaland.

MDFC Manager

If Dortmund have already bid that amount, I feel they will come to an agreement.
Indeed. If they have tabled a bid, also means Bellingham has an agreement of sorts with Dortmund.

Considering he'll not be on big wages, plus likely a 6 year contract, it's a good deal I think. English as well, so he'd have decent resell value if it doesn't work out.

crossy1686

career ending
Why wouldn't you just move to United and get all that and play for the club you love also?

Infestissumam

Why wouldn't you just move to United and get all that and play for the club you love also?
well I think he'd play a lot more at Dortmund. How many 16/17 year olds get regular playing time at United? I think from a developmental standpoint, Dortmund makes more sense at this point. You just have to look at Sancho and Gio Reyna to see that they are not afraid of giving a lot of playing time to these youngsters. It's a big part of their strategy nowadays: scoop up young talent, give them playing time, sell them for a fortune. And if you're a super-talented 16 year old like Bellingham, that's got to be interesting. He'd be a Bundesliga regular next season and would also play in the Champions League. How many minutes would he get at United in comparison? Don't get me wrong, I want us to sign Bellingham as much as most other muppets. But in all honesty, I can understand if he thinks a move to United would come too early and a move to Dortmund would make more sense at this point in his career.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Couldn't he just join United on loan and then return birmingham on loan?..Granted a lower level, but not everyone is Sancho. There are no certainties.

Artorias

Yeah you could well be right about that
well I think he'd play a lot more at Dortmund. How many 16/17 year olds get regular playing time at United? I think from a developmental standpoint, Dortmund makes more sense at this point. You just have to look at Sancho and Gio Reyna to see that they are not afraid of giving a lot of playing time to these youngsters. It's a big part of their strategy nowadays: scoop up young talent, give them playing time, sell them for a fortune. And if you're a super-talented 16 year old like Bellingham, that's got to be interesting. He'd be a Bundesliga regular next season and would also play in the Champions League. How many minutes would he get at United in comparison? Don't get me wrong, I want us to sign Bellingham as much as most other muppets. But in all honesty, I can understand if he thinks a move to United would come too early and a move to Dortmund would make more sense at this point in his career.
We could buy him, and send him on loan to Dortmund. In that way he could get a lot of experience and maybe helps with the Sancho saga.
Win-win if you ask me.

RRCE

We could buy him, and send him on loan to Dortmund. In that way he could get a lot of experience and maybe helps with the Sancho saga.
Win-win if you ask me.
A win for United and Bellingham, perhaps, but not for Dortmund. Why would they possibly take him on loan in such circumstances. Whether he goes to Dortmund, United or elsewhere, at that level Bellingham is unlikely to be an impact player next season. The only reason Dortmund would invest the time and effort into developing Bellingham would be in anticipation of earning a healthy return on their investment in 2 - 3 years’ time. Without the potential profit, Dortmund would never take Bellingham on loan.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Couldn't he just join United on loan and then return birmingham on loan?..Granted a lower level, but not everyone is Sancho. There are no certainties.
Harry Redknapp has said that he will be fighting for first team place at Dortmund or United in no time. I tend listen to him when he’s talking about youngsters — he’d know a thing or two being at West Ham, seeing Rio, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard etc.

Tarrou

Win-win if you ask me.
they aren't going to play a 16-year-old for one minute if they don't reap the reward from his development

crossy1686

career ending
You don't improve by being given game time though, and you certainly don't improve by playing 6 games in the Champions League. We need to drop this notion that Germany is a development ground for young players when it simply isn't. I've made this point before, for every Sancho that moves to Dortmund, there's also 10 Isak's. Players improve in training, especially when the players they're training against are better than most. Where would Bellingham see bigger strides in his game? Coming up against Pogba and Fernandes every day or Witsel and Emre Can?

Rio has talked at length about this, he said that training was so intense it made matchdays easy. Bellingham would no doubt get less game time at United but no one is guaranteed game time at United, you have to earn it. His progression into the first team would probably be something like McTomminay's. Also, "the move came too early" What does that mean? Did the move come too early for Rashford, McTomminay, Chong, Lingard, Pereria, Greenwood. When is too early?

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Harry Redknapp has said that he will be fighting for first team place at Dortmund or United in no time. I tend listen to him when he’s talking about youngsters — he’d know a thing or two being at West Ham, seeing Rio, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard etc.
To be fair to old 'Arry, he threw Lampard into the West Ham team and told everyone he'd play for England one day. Whether or not he was full of shit because they're family we don't know but time showed that it was a good move.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's never quite that simple. You may not settle in a foreign country. He might become home sick. Redknapp is a good judge but it don't always work out. He would have to be because of the price it would cost them. I don't know how rich they are, but 30 million isn't chump change but I think they know plenty of premier clubs will be interested in years to come with barrels of money. The point is though, it's up to the boy. I think his father was rumored to prefer a big move abroad but why not? Seeing the Sancho situation, make nice money. If the boy wants to go Dortmund? No worries but I hope it really is his choice and maybe it is.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
To be fair to old 'Arry, he threw Lampard into the West Ham team and told everyone he'd play for England one day. Whether or not he was full of shit because they're family we don't know but time showed that it was a good move.
And all the West Ham fans I met at the time claimed it was nepotism...shows how fecking deluded they are

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You don't improve by being given game time though, and you certainly don't improve by playing 6 games in the Champions League. We need to drop this notion that Germany is a development ground for young players when it simply isn't. I've made this point before, for every Sancho that moves to Dortmund, there's also 10 Isak's. Players improve in training, especially when the players they're training against are better than most. Where would Bellingham see bigger strides in his game? Coming up against Pogba and Fernandes every day or Witsel and Emre Can?

Rio has talked at length about this, he said that training was so intense it made matchdays easy. Bellingham would no doubt get less game time at United but no one is guaranteed game time at United, you have to earn it. His progression into the first team would probably be something like McTomminay's. Also, "the move came too early" What does that mean? Did the move come too early for Rashford, McTomminay, Chong, Lingard, Pereria, Greenwood. When is too early?
I would vehemently disagree with your opening statement.

Players absolutely do improve with game time you cannot dismiss it so outright.

The ground work is laid in training and absolutely is integral to the development of
fundamental skills and tactics but you never know your levels until a match day. The match days are the context in which the theory must be applied.

You practice decision making a lot in training but you need the match experience often to contextualise everything you learn. Without the matches it’s all theory and development stunts. Training at elite clubs will always be intense due to the quality of opponent and of course is vital to development but if you don’t give the player the time to compete and express what they’ve learnt you find often the intensity of the training will drop off and motivation is lost.

There has to be a carrot for the stick to work.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not really sure what that means about being surprised?
Surprised that he thinks he’ll get more gametime there then here is how I read it.

I’m sure he’d be able to link up with our first team and rotate in for cup games etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.