Jude Bellingham | Signed for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lecland07

I remember when the English media were all wanking over Wiltshire. Then Pep was asked about him. His response “we have 10 Wiltshires in our reserves”

Same thing can be said about Bellingham.
Guardiola was talking nonsense. I'm pretty sure he said that before Barcelona played Arsenal in the Champion's League, which was the same game that Wilshere was fantastic in. I believe he was only a teenager then, also, and playing against Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets.

I have no doubt over the talent Wilshere had. The issues he had were injuries and that he was both a smoker and, I think, a drinker. Probably the worst combination of traits to become a top footballer. I have no doubt he would have been a top-quality midfielder if those things weren't true.

None of those issues seem to be true for Bellingham, so I'm not sure how it is relevant, anyway.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Guardiola was talking nonsense. I'm pretty sure he said that before Barcelona played Arsenal in the Champion's League, which was the same game that Wilshere was fantastic in. I believe he was only a teenager then, also, and playing against Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets.

I have no doubt over the talent Wilshere had. The issues he had were injuries and that he was both a smoker and, I think, a drinker. Probably the worst combination of traits to become a top footballer. I have no doubt he would have been a top-quality midfielder if those things weren't true.

None of those issues seem to be true for Bellingham, so I'm not sure how it is relevant, anyway.
Rumour is that he also got caught out using coke and a couple of his lengthy injury bans were actually the FA enforcing a stealth ban that doesn’t damage the leagues reputation.

Erik the Red

We churn out a lot of championship and mid table premiere league players, but we don't produce world class talent, it's been decades.
Rashford and Mason Greenwood aren't bad. I'm not a fan of their's, but Pogba and Ravel Morrison were great talents at youth level (with world class potential), just didn't kick on. Arguably Garnacho could be a world class talent. In every generation, there are only a handful of superstars like Ronaldo and Messi, and although we didn't produce one of those from out youth team, we helped develop Ronaldo from talented teenager to superstar.

TheReligion

Abusive
Rashford and Mason Greenwood aren't bad. I'm not a fan of their's, but Pogba and Ravel Morrison were great talents at youth level (with world class potential), just didn't kick on. Arguably Garnacho could be a world class talent. In every generation, there are only a handful of superstars like Ronaldo and Messi, and although we didn't produce one of those from out youth team, we helped develop Ronaldo from talented teenager to superstar.
I’m curious as to what academy in England churns out all this world class talent.

City have Foden and Chelsea James.

Arsenal Saka? Liverpool TAA? Meh.

Beyond that what’s everyone else doing that United aren’t in terms of productivity?

Josh 76

My point was Barcelona have Pedri, Gavi and Fati in their squad. They probably have another 3 or 4 players like that in their youth team. They are all in the same league as Bellingham.

Bellingham is a good young player, but all this talk of 150m is a joke. I hope he does got to the scousers for that much.

Dion

You listed a group of players that could have been top class, but aren't, so I am not sure your point. And Pogba isn't a United academy product, he's a Le Havre product, nor was Pique, he was Barcelona through and through, we just basically loaned him for a while.
Pogba was in the United academy longer than he was in the Le Havre one.

And the point is, it's not the academy, it's the first team. Nobody performs at a world class level in the first team because "being world class" requires a team functioning on a high level and we don't have one.

Idxomer

Brilliant attacking midfielder but such an annoying character.

sport2793

Completely overrated player, not worth 100 million at this stage of his career.

hp88

Don’t judge on the basis of this game, he’s got some natural talent in him and he will go far, probably not at an international level.

Lecland07

I thought he was fantastic in that game. Tackling and passing. Did incredibly well in a game that people were saying England would get dominated.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Spent half the game whining. Going to be a top player though.

kidbob

Worth about 30m and nothing more. No real great midfielder coming to take over from Modric.

Edit: to be fair its not only him. Gavi, Pedri and the France duo all have awful flaws compared to those in the past.

sport2793

I thought he was fantastic in that game. Tackling and passing. Did incredibly well in a game that people were saying England would get dominated.
Ya it was just another all action English midfielder performance.

Lecland07

I don't really see what he did wrong, to be honest. He drove the ball forward, made important tackles and won the ball back. His passing was good. I think people have to remember he is only 19.

90 + 5min

Still a young kid who shouldn't be starting games.

Unfortunately, media and some fans, put pressure on Southgate to play him and also Rice.

JTRI

Worth about 30m and nothing more. No real great midfielder coming to take over from Modric.

Edit: to be fair its not only him. Gavi, Pedri and the France duo all have awful flaws compared to those in the past.
30M? Not sure Dortmund will go for that... He’s going to be a special player no doubt.

dinostar77

Rice much better today.
Rice would be a great defensive midfielder for any top side, but not us. As we have casemiro. Bellingham is a very good midfielder but if we are talking about the best england midfielder its phil foden by a long distance.

kidbob

30M? Not sure Dortmund will go for that... He’s going to be a special player no doubt.
They won't but as special as he will be he still won't be the main man in midfield like a Keane or Modric so for me he's worth what his end ability is which is 30m for a player who needs a superior passer and controller beside him. Dortmund have gotten away with their stupid prices for too long.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
WHAT a player this lad is. Unbelievable performance on the biggest stage. Probably didn't deserve to be on the losing side but incredible future he has.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought this was his worst game of the tournament, but yeah, he's clearly a phenomenal player.

But we get Dortmunds crap players so....

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He wasn't bad but nowhere near a world class player or even an established international tonight.

He should get there but he's got work to do.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I actually thought this was his worst game of the tournament, but yeah, he's clearly a phenomenal player.

But we get Dortmunds crap players so....
I thought he was bit cagey at the start, but the second half he was the best player on the pitch, winning the ball, progressing it. involved in pretty much everything good England did. Also shout out to Kyle Walker for doing the best job so far on Mbappe.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was bit cagey at the start, but the second half he was the best player on the pitch, winning the ball, progressing it. involved in pretty much everything good England did. Also shout out to Kyle Walker for doing the best job so far on Mbappe.
Thought Saka had that honour personally.

I didn't think he had the control he had in his performance he has had in other games... Though to be fair he's also up against better players.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's well rounded player for his age and has a great potential but with no standout ability, I am not too sure why we would really need to spend over 100mil pounds for him. Another one of the overrated English players. Long way for him to become one of the "generational talents" he's been called.

Easy to stand out in a team full of top players, or attacking bundesleague team, time will tell, but for the money its very expensive risk, and its only because he's english..

EngimaMK

My point was Barcelona have Pedri, Gavi and Fati in their squad. They probably have another 3 or 4 players like that in their youth team. They are all in the same league as Bellingham.

Bellingham is a good young player, but all this talk of 150m is a joke. I hope he does got to the scousers for that much.
It's easy to believe those players are amazing from distance (the exotic allure of La Liga) but they hardly smashed it for Spain in this tournament. Get a grip. They are promising youngsters, nothing more.

EngimaMK

I didn't think he had the control he had in his performance he has had in other games... Though to be fair he's also up against better players.
Saka was excellent. I'm always looking to shoot down arsenal player but Saka is shit hot. Excellent player.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

That is a good point, Saka probably edged it he was outstanding. Still was so impressed by Bellingham's level in the second half, it wasn't always pretty, but he did so much, seemed to be everywhere. Future captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.