Jude Bellingham | Signed for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

Bellingham is pretty much the same, sometimes I feel like people don’t remember the players they’re talking about, you don’t ever see Bellingham controlling midfields either, his qualities that stand out is his powerful running, dribbling and ability to score goals.
He’s 19. And I totally disagree that you don’t see him controlling midfields. He does it week in, week out.

Everything I say about Gerrard and Lampard now, I was saying when they were playing. Lampard was terrific, but a very different type of player. Gerrard I always thought was massively overrated, as good a player as he was.

A heavily Liverpool obsessed media and a great highlights reel has hoodwinked people into remembering him as some sort of midfield colossus, instead of a leader whose teams massively underachieved under his watch.

Bellingham will win trophies because the way he plays will drag other guys around him to be better. Gerrard never did that for me.

Righteous Steps

He is also 19. At that age Keane was had only just signed for Forrest. He’s also shown plenty of ability to win the ball back etc…

That’s not to say he will hit that level, it’s a crazily high level and, but he’s got the ability if everything goes right and he avoids injury.
Yes I agree but personally I feel Viera Keane Gerrard Lampard are all on the same tier anyways, they just offered different things, I would pick Keane and Viera as my CMs but in a three man midfield the role of Gerrard De Bruyne or Lampard would be just as important.

AndySmith1990

Bet City buy him to replace Gundogan. We should buy whoever Dortmund go after as his replacement

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bellingham is pretty much the same, sometimes I feel like people don’t remember the players they’re talking about, you don’t ever see Bellingham controlling midfields either, his qualities that stand out is his powerful running, dribbling and ability to score goals.
Exactly, Lampard was a first team guarantee at West Ham at 19 too!

Righteous Steps

He’s 19. And I totally disagree that you don’t see him controlling midfields. He does it week in, week out.

Everything I say about Gerrard and Lampard now, I was saying when they were playing. Lampard was terrific, but a very different type of player. Gerrard I always thought was massively overrated, as good a player as he was.

A heavily Liverpool obsessed media and a great highlights reel has hoodwinked people into remembering him as some sort of midfield colossus, instead of a leader whose teams massively underachieved under his watch.

Bellingham will win trophies because the way he plays will drag other guys around him to be better. Gerrard never did that for me.
He averages 51 passes per game, how does he control games? I think your post is way off the mark, a midfield controller would be someone like Xavi Pirlo Thiago, Bellingham is not that player.

And to say Liverpool teams massively underachieved is ridiculous but we can leave that debate for another day.

RedStarUnited

He reminds me of Pogba. He has fantastic technique, excellent passing and can make driving runs, but for whatever reason he can go missing for periods of the game. It is probably due to his age. I think he would benefit playing at Dortmund for another season.
Blasphemous, he is nowhere near Pogba level when it comes to passing.

He is similar to Pogba in his ability to drive forward though Pogba had a lot more in his locker in terms of ability to go past players.

And the missing part...neither Pogba nor Jude now plays for possession dominating teams. You cant expect to see him much if his team are not keeping the ball

Righteous Steps

Blasphemous, he is nowhere near Pogba level when it comes to passing.

He is similar to Pogba in his ability to drive forward though Pogba had a lot more in his locker in terms of ability to go past players.

And the missing part...neither Pogba nor Jude now plays for possession dominating teams. You cant expect to see him much if his team are not keeping the ball
Pogba was more naturally talented and technically gifted but Bellingham has him beat on application and I think intensity also, so will end up being more complete or seasoned when he matures.

Righteous Steps

Not really at all they are all great players Viera and Keane are better CMs but in the game of football there are other positions also, Gerrard and Lampard as number 10’s are players who finished 2nd and 3rd in b’allon dor rankings, the level above them you have players like Modric Matthaus Xavi Rijkaard, I don’t think either Keane or Viera were on that level but that’s my opinion.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The fact that people will be signing hey jude on Caf every week is enough reason not to sign him.

diarm

He averages 51 passes per game, how does he control games? I think your post is way off the mark, a midfield controller would be someone like Xavi Pirlo Thiago, Bellingham is not that player.

And to say Liverpool teams massively underachieved is ridiculous but we can leave that debate for another day.
So you can only control a midfield if you play a Barcelona style tiki taka style where everyone makes 500 passes a game?

Nonsense. How many passes did Keane average per game?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Pogba was more naturally talented and technically gifted but Bellingham has him beat on application and I think intensity also, so will end up being more complete or seasoned when he matures.
Bellingham is 19. I don’t think Pogba was more naturally talented at all. I don’t think we’re seeing what Bellingham can do at this level yet either.

Polar

19y and already a world class CM? I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player in his position <20y (not wing or pure attacking midtfielder).

bosskeano

anyone doubting now the value of bellingham and what he could bring to United are being a bit foolish...he would be absolutely ideal for United and would add so much to our midfield

diarm

Not really at all they are all great players Viera and Keane are better CMs but in the game of football there are other positions also, Gerrard and Lampard as number 10’s are players who finished 2nd and 3rd in b’allon dor rankings, the level above them you have players like Modric Matthaus Xavi Rijkaard, I don’t think either Keane or Viera were on that level but that’s my opinion.
Really.

Lampard was a 10, as I said. Gerrard never styled himself as a no.10 - he wanted to be seen as the midfield general but with only the responsibilities of the 10 - which is precisely why I’ve never rated him at the same level as the likes of Keane or Vieira.

Righteous Steps

So you can only control a midfield if you play a Barcelona style tiki taka style where everyone makes 500 passes a game?

Nonsense. How many passes did Keane average per game?
You’re the one that made the claim, Bellingham averages 51 passes at 82% pass accuracy this is not far off what Gerrard was averaging in his prime both in passes and pass success rate, I think Lampard would probably even be higher, so exactly how does Bellingham control games anymore than those two?

I wouldn’t compare with Keane because it’s a different era, apart from the fact there wasn’t many stats based metrics open to the public in those times, United played in a 90’s 4-4-2 era that didn’t solely rely on midfield controllers, that was a far more continental way of playing at those times.

Righteous Steps

Really.

Lampard was a 10, as I said. Gerrard never styled himself as a no.10 - he wanted to be seen as the midfield general but with only the responsibilities of the 10 - which is precisely why I’ve never rated him at the same level as the likes of Keane or Vieira.
Not quite true, De Bruyne plays in the same way a 8/10 hybrid with responsibilities of both. Bellingham is the same type of player which is why Southgate bought both Henderson and Rice to play behind him, he will create score but also get involved in physical battles and tackling.

diarm

Not quite true, De Bruyne plays in the same way a 8/10 hybrid with responsibilities of both. Bellingham is the same type of player which is why Southgate bought both Henderson and Rice to play behind him, he will create score but also get involved in physical battles and tackling.
Gerrard was not De Bruyne.

diarm

You’re the one that made the claim, Bellingham averages 51 passes at 82% pass accuracy this is not far off what Gerrard was averaging in his prime both in passes and pass success rate, I think Lampard would probably even be higher, so exactly how does Bellingham control games anymore than those two?

I wouldn’t compare with Keane because it’s a different era, apart from the fact there wasn’t many stats based metrics open to the public in those times, United played in a 90’s 4-4-2 era that didn’t solely rely on midfield controllers, that was a far more continental way of playing at those times.
What did I claim?

Im saying your definition of controlling a midfield is piss poor.

Righteous Steps

What is this based on?
I think Pogba could be pressed quite easily sometimes due to just being too lazy and languid on the ball, the amount of times he’s just rolling his foot over the ball when he should make a pass can be quite striking, it’s not due to his ability it’s almost like he just wants to prove how strong or how skilful he was at times.

I also think he runs less generally, Pogba had the ability to burst through midfields but it’s something you would rarely see at times, Bellingham does that more he just looks like he plays with more intensity generally.

Obvious shades of Yaya Toure in that game today. He was galloping through the midfield like the Ivorian in his prime. Weight of pass exceptional, decision making exceptional. What a talent.

Righteous Steps

What did I claim?

Im saying your definition of controlling a midfield is piss poor.
And I’ll say I don’t even think you know what controlling a midfield is, because how else would you judge it other than passes passing accuracy and the etc what other metrics can we use? I think you’re just talking for the sake of it now.

diarm

And I’ll say I don’t even think you know what controlling a midfield is, because how else would you judge it other than passes passing accuracy and the etc what other metrics can we use? I think you’re just talking for the sake of it now.
And I reckon you’re about 15 and think the only way to play midfield is what you’ve seen in the last 10 years.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If we get rich new owners and Champion's league with a strong finish, then he could come here. Working under ETH has to be appealing at his age.

Sylar

Whoever gets him next will be sorted. Hope it's not city or Liverpool

cpresc

That interception, driving run through the middle, balance and pass to Foden for the goal as just so so soooo good. Him and Casemiro would be fantastic. God I hope we can get him.

His pressing high up is really effective too so I reckon Ten Hag will be in love too

Remember the geese

Ive watched Bellingham a lot and I disagree. Hes not showing half his natural talent because he is playing disciplined at this level.
Pogba is a better dribbler, passer, far more creative/skilful, has superior vision and is greater with his left foot than Bellingham too.

Erik the Red

Not sure how naturally talented Pogba was or wasn't, one thing is for sure, his attitude stank and he stank up the place. He got four assists in the first game of the season and thought his job was done for the year. In a three man midfield, his teammates were basically playing 2 vs 3. He was often dispossessed whilst trying to show off, and never tracked back. He allowed his agent to say that he was unhappy, invariably the day before a key match. Absolute twat of an individual. At least Ronaldo had huge achievements for us in the late 2000s, Pogba acted like he was a world class player, but never demonstrated it on the pitch.

Bellingham may or may not be less talented, but at 19 is showing more maturity than Pogba ever has. However, I still feel that we need the Enzo Fernandez player more than Bellingham if its a choice between the two. I think Bellingham is better as the most advanced of a midfield three with more cover to allow him to make these runs of his. Today he had Rice and Henderson to do his dirty work, and at United, we are more in need of someone to sit alongside Casemiro, like a Fernandez or De Jong. Eriksen is probably better as the most advanced of a midfield three, and Bruno definitely is, so would be competing directly with Bellingham for one position. I'm not doubting that Bellingham is already a great player, just not convinced that he a) plays in our priority position, and b) his style suits that of ETH. I get the impression ETH wants an Eriksen type in that position, who will pass more than carry the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.