Julian Alvarez

MUFC OK

Romano reckons theres not a lot in this. Weve just sent a scout and nothing else.

I know hes a bit like marmite but worth sharing.
Do we think he actually knows exactly what’s going on/not going on with every rumour?

MrBest

He’s got a turn of pace and can dribble. He seems aggressive in his movement from what I can gather. Left foot right foot finishes. From everything I’ve read he presses really well too. I really don’t think height is an issue. Aguero found spaces multiple times in every game.
Yeah i see what you mean about the press, this stood out for me in the videos i watched, although i may be totally off and the videos are just showing what we want to see.

MUFC OK

No one does. But that doesnt make this one credible.
Yeah, my point is he always has a definite answer which just doesn’t seem feasible.

I’d like us to make this signing personally, no lose situation. Be a good replacement for Martial if we’re set on 4-2-2-2

MUFC OK

Yeah i see what you mean about the press, this stood out for me in the videos i watched, although i may be totally off and the videos are just showing what we want to see.
I think we need workhorses in this team - I have no idea whether this guy fits the bill in that regard but as I think back to 08 - tevez, Rooney, Hargreaves, Neville. I’d personally like John mcginn, but if this lad can do the same and bag 15-20 a season he’d be a brilliant addition.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Normally I wouldn’t get too invested in us going for a South American as their priority is usually Spain or Italy and that’s fair enough. The stars have aligned here at this moment in time that most of the big clubs in those countries are skint or stocked up as he’s come to the boil. Add to that Murtough seems to be doing decent business and then Ralfs thing is finding hard working bargains… it makes sense. Now it’s just a matter of if we are lucky enough to get an almost free run at a leading young South American based player, is he the real deal or a flop waiting to happen? All I know is it’s a market that needs to be explored by our club a lot more thoroughly and a transfer or two like this would hopefully open the channels, especially if he turns out to be a success story.

SAFMUTD

True, but Agüero was 17 years old when he did that and by the time he was 21, he put up the same numbers in Spain.
That's true, but still 21 is fairly young and he put great numbers.

AneRu

Normally I wouldn’t get too invested in us going for a South American as their priority is usually Spain or Italy and that’s fair enough. The stars have aligned here at this moment in time that most of the big clubs in those countries are skint or stocked up as he’s come to the boil. Add to that Murtough seems to be doing decent business and then Ralfs thing is finding hard working bargains… it makes sense. Now it’s just a matter of if we are lucky enough to get an almost free run at a leading young South American based player, is he the real deal or a flop waiting to happen? All I know is it’s a market that needs to be explored by our club a lot more thoroughly and a transfer or two like this would hopefully open the channels, especially if he turns out to be a success story.
This. We have to remember what type of club we are and look for a more sustainable transfer policy than dropping £35m on squad players in midst of four oil clubs. And as long as we have Ronaldo, Bruno and Sancho leading our attack we can take a punt or two on players from lower leagues moreso one as highly rated and accomplished as this one. I like the direction we are taking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, my point is he always has a definite answer which just doesn’t seem feasible.

I’d like us to make this signing personally, no lose situation. Be a good replacement for Martial if we’re set on 4-2-2-2
He doesn't. His answer wasn't that United are not getting Alvarez. That would be a definite answer.

He said that the smoke is because we sent scouts, so we are interested along with many other clubs but it's not as advanced. He did cover his back by saying that the player has a release clause so it can be a simple situation, but nothing on it yet.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
People are underestimating the argentine league. Despite having much less financial resources than their brazilian neighbours, they make it up with coaches that instill tactical discipline and hardworking players.
It's not a coincidence that pratically all south american managers who are managing european teams have managed at least one club in Argentina: it's a good school for both managers and players.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
People are underestimating the argentine league. Despite having much less financial resources than their brazilian neighbours, they make it up with coaches that instill tactical discipline and hardworking players.
It's not a coincidence that pratically all south american managers who are managing european teams have managed at least one club in Argentina: it's a good school for both managers and players.

The Argentine league in recent years has lowered the level a lot, there are no relegations, a league of 26 teams and for the year it will be 28.
Teams with poor quality. A parameter is Copa Libertadores or Copa Sudaméricana, both dominated by Brazilian teams very easily.

Even journalists well known for always overvaluing the league and argentine national team, they are very critical of the current level.
Julián Álvarez until 4 months ago was a substitute and third striker.
The starting striker was Matías Suárez, for all the best player in the league.
He was injured and started playing Girotti and was said to be the new promise of Argentine football and shortly after Alvarez started as a starter.

The ideal would be to sign him and loan to adapt to European football.

Idxomer

Don't think we are buying any up-and-coming forwards for a while, the club has invested a lot in the ones we already have.

Tarrou

he looks classy

not sure he'd be a good fit for the PL but would be an exciting signing

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seems to be gathering heat?

Sebastian srur claims its Ralf pushing for this transfer to happen but I'm not sure how reliable he is

I'd be very happy if we get him especially if we lose anthony in jan and edi in summer so let's see

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW

People on Twitter are claiming the guy reporting the story has good links with River Plate. Alvarez looks like the perfect striker to sign if we are looking to persist with a 4-2-2-2 formation.

Last edited:
Seems to be gathering heat?

Sebastian srur claims its Ralf pushing for this transfer to happen but I'm not sure how reliable he is

I'd be very happy if we get him especially if we lose anthony in jan and edi in summer so let's see
I hope so. Tony and Edi out. Alvarez in. Brilliant business.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Big news coming in regarding Julian Alvarez within the next 5 minutes, will post it when it's tweeted.

Last edited:

Ekeke

The Argentine league in recent years has lowered the level a lot, there are no relegations, a league of 26 teams and for the year it will be 28.
Teams with poor quality. A parameter is Copa Libertadores or Copa Sudaméricana, both dominated by Brazilian teams very easily.

Even journalists well known for always overvaluing the league and argentine national team, they are very critical of the current level.
He was injured and started playing Girotti and was said to be the new promise of Argentine football and shortly after Alvarez started as a starter.

Zaracho is arguably the best young player at the top of the table Brazilian team Atletico MG. He's doing just as well or better than he was for Racing Club in Argentina

The standout players in the Argentine league are just as good as in the Brazilian league. Andreas Pereira is one of the best in Brazil right now

SAF is the GOAT

Reminds me the reports on Mioses Caceido last summer

The name "Manchester United" always brings clicks

pascell

Reminds me the reports on Mioses Caceido last summer

The name "Manchester United" always brings clicks
This is completely different, Alvarez is winning championships and scoring goals in the process at 21, he'll make it somewhere for sure.

Caceido is completely different, he's a shot in the dark and a long term investment, Alvarez could contribute now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martial out on loan with some sort of option to buy for Sevilla + Alvarez in would make a lot of sense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
After seeing tons on smoke on that Caceido fella last season I refuse to believe this until it's on English media

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

No money no level up. Brazilian league is benefitting of some club CEO changes, like it happened with Flamengo a few years ago, Palmeiras, Atlético Mineiro, RB Bragantino and at some level Internacional, but the rest of the clubs are basically trying to maximize every season.

Argentina's economy is no match for their brazilian counterparts, but even so River Plate have been brilliant and lost unfailry that final to Flamengo and against Palmeiras in the previous edition they basically had terrible luck, they could had made a remontada.
Boca Juniors is still very competitive.

About the changes in the league, I think Argentina FA has a lot of free time on their hands. Just look at how complex it became :
https://today.in-24.com/sport/News/191641.html

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
After seeing tons on smoke on that Caceido fella last season I refuse to believe this until it's on English media
I'm at the stage I won't believe something till I see them holding up the shirt.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Rangnick is struggling to pick Greenwood over Rashford at the moment. This only makes sense if both Martial and Cavani are out, we're quite stacked at the moment even for 2 strikers.

Ronaldo
Cavani
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
Elanga

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rangnick is struggling to pick Greenwood over Rashford at the moment. This only makes sense if both Martial and Cavani are out.
Does it? Would Alvarez be brought in to go straight into match day squads? I know little of him to be fair but would be surprised to see him as some Hernandez figure to go straight in.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Zaracho is arguably the best young player at the top of the table Brazilian team Atletico MG. He's doing just as well or better than he was for Racing Club in Argentina

The standout players in the Argentine league are just as good as in the Brazilian league. Andreas Pereira is one of the best in Brazil right now
I talk about the level in general of the Argentine league and the rivals that J. Álvarez faces.
The premier can be difficult, mainly because of the physical capacity.
25M is a good price, and if he doesn't play well you will recover much of the investment.

Kag

Rangnick is struggling to pick Greenwood over Rashford at the moment. This only makes sense if both Martial and Cavani are out, we're quite stacked at the moment even for 2 strikers.

Ronaldo
Cavani
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
Elanga
Come July I’d expect Cavani to be back in Argentina, Martial somewhere on the continent and Elanga out on loan. We’re going to need another forward.

Ekeke

I talk about the level in general of the Argentine league and the rivals that J. Álvarez faces.
The premier can be difficult, mainly because of the physical capacity.
25M is a good price, and if he doesn't play well you will recover much of the investment.
For sure. Thats one of the main bonuses with the Argentine league. You look at the money spent on the transfers of players from there compared to Brazil and there have been some great deals and a lot less money spent. Again, the standout players are of a similar level. A recent success would be Lautaro Matinez to Inter at 25 million euros in 18/19. Since that time a Brazilian league example would be Paqueta who is doing well at Lyon now after Milan let him go... And Everton who isnt setting the world alight at Benfica

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Ronaldo
Cavani
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
Elanga
It’s been 2 league games with Greenwood coming back from covid at the time. Like @Kag says - there’s a very high chance both Cavani and Martial won’t be here in the summer.

SAF is the GOAT

For sure. Thats one of the main bonuses with the Argentine league. You look at the money spent on the transfers of players from there compared to Brazil and there have been some great deals and a lot less money spent. Again, the standout players are of a similar level. A recent success would be Lautaro Matinez to Inter at 25 million euros in 18/19. Since that time a Brazilian league example would be Paqueta who is doing well at Lyon now after Milan let him go... And Everton who isnt setting the world alight at Benfica
And Anthony that brought into Ajax from Sao Paulo

Kag

I’d love another aggressive Tevez-type forward alongside Ronaldo up top. No idea if this guy is that, but it’s what we’re lacking amongst our forward options.

You can see the difference Cavani makes when he’s in the team in terms of hounding defenders. That needs replacing.

Guapa

Looks totally average.One footed and one paced.Move on.