Julian Draxler | Official: Sold to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't really get the Januzaj or Depay comparisons, unlike them Draxler has already shown a lot, both in the BL and CL. Just not consistently.
In terms of playstyle, would Ross Barkley be fairer? Obviously, Draxler is quite better and more accomplished as a player, but: similar physique/build, pace, versatility in positions, both are very two-footed, and have moments of magic that are draped beneath poor decision making.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
According to CulturePSG, deal done between Wolfsburg & PSG for 45m including 15m of bonus

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's crazy money IMHO.
This is the definition of a country whose exports in the gas sector ($60 billion) are in the hands of 280,000 Qatari citizens (vs 1.5 million of expatriates).

That said, PSG was ready to spend 200m to buy Neymar last summer :wenger:

Shareholders of Monaco are smart: they make good business decisions.

PieCrust

I rate Draxler quite high. Think he'll develop into a really good player. Not sure that moving to PSG is the right call, but I'm sure he's a getting a nice raise.

MarchingOn

For the sake of his career, I hope it's a temporary stop to get more exposure.

PSG aren't going to win the CL, and now they're starting to slip domestically.

Their enormous pockets are keeping them afloat. A kid as promising as Draxler should stay in Germany or move to England for better competition.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

Their enormous pockets are keeping them afloat. A kid as promising as Draxler should stay in Germany or move to England for better competition.
You're overrating him. He'll have done excellent to make it at PSG.

MarchingOn

You're overrating him. He'll have done excellent to make it at PSG.
Maybe so. Haven't seen a lot of him this year, but I remember being pretty excited when there was talk of United signing him last summer.

Blackwidow

I still rate him even though I was disappointed by his move to Wolfsburg. He clearly isn't in the Hazard, Sanchez, De Bruyne bracket quality wise, but I still think he would improve any team in Germany outside of Dortmund and Bayern, and any team in England other than Chelsea (and possibly Spurs). He won't turn a contender into a champion though (at this point in his career) and his next move needs to be on the money if he wants to come close to fulfilling his potential. I think a team like Everton would suit him well (as in enough quality but not too much pressure), where he could play off a striker like Lukaku and set him up quite a bit too. He'd have to convince Wolfsburg to drop his price though, which would probably be difficult.
Actually he has the talent of the above mentioned. I doubt that he has all the other qualities. Every now and then, even or especially against good opponents, he has that wow-match. But you can bet that the next ones will be a noshow.

I do not know if it is the attitude or if he does not concentrate too well on football... maybe he even needs that strict coach like he had it in his first year with Magath.

23 is not that young anymore if somebody runs through the big academies and starts on prolevel very early like Draxler did...

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
The 15 most be included in the 45 surely?
That's how I understand Downcast's post.
According to CulturePSG, deal done between Wolfsburg & PSG for 45m including 15m of bonus
I see a lot of tweets referring to L'Equipe as the source. They say €36m fixed + €6m bonus payments.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...r-julian-draxler-a-36-millions-d-euros/762829

Edit: Schalke seem to get about €6m of the 36m. Horst Heldt wasn't too bad in selling players.

Last edited:

izec

Good move for him. Playing with players on his level in a decent league. I expect him to improve drastically and develop into the player he can be.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Another perpetual talent/wonderkid who failed to step up so far. Maybe PSG could be right for him.

Lyricist

I don't think he's done yet in regards to his development. He looks good for Germany. I think he might shine with better players around him. That said it's a huge gamble though and he's hardly one who singlehandedly dominates games. But he just sometimes has those special moments that make you think there's no way that's the last we've heard of him on the big stage.
Also people paint him as an idiotic cnut. He may or may not be a cnut for switching clubs so quickly and justing looking for his own development and income. But he's certainly not an idiot in my opinion. Sounds reasonably smart, just young.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
200m for Neymar would be a significantly better deal than 45+15m for Draxler.
Sure. I mean money is not issue for these shareholders.

I understand the fee would be rather 30+ 15m bonus

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's how I understand Downcast's post.

I see a lot of tweets referring to L'Equipe as the source. They say €36m fixed + €6m bonus payments.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...r-julian-draxler-a-36-millions-d-euros/762829

Edit: Schalke seem to get about €6m of the 36m. Horst Heldt wasn't too bad in selling players.
L'equipe is the #1 source of information regarding sports in France.

I understand the guy who runs the website CulturePSG knows an insider :)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If our interest was even a little bit genuine then I'd rather avoid any percentage that we ended up with a Balloteli MKII. Best deal all round. He has impressed me in dispatches for Germany but for 45m I'd expect a lot more of a finished product. He will do well in an easy league.

Murray3007

Think he certainly has potential now at an age were he needs to show it every week, thought the move to Wolfsburg was a weird one in the 1st place, more a side step then a progression move, always thought he was destined for Arsenal

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG strike deal with Wolfsburg for Julian Draxler

Ligue 1 Champions PSG have struck a deal with German outfit Wolfsburg for the signing of international attacking midfielder Julian Draxler, according to multiple French press reports.

L’Équipe claim that a €36m deal has been reached between the two clubs, RMC suggest that the amount is €35m and Goal and Culture PSG understand that the deal is worth €30m plus €15m in bonuses, therefore potentially reaching €45m.

Julian Draxler himself is understood not to have made a decision on where to go yet, with reported interest from Arsenal, but PSG are the only side to have reached a fee agreement with Wolfsburg.

However, sources inside the Paris club are confident that the German international has been convinced to join them.

More undoubtedly to follow in the coming days…

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Comparisons to Balotelli are ridiculous. His move to Wolfsburg was just really stupid, but at that time Wolfsburg was financially in a completely different situation. I think he needs to move to a team where he's not the big star and can develop, PSG or Arsenal are probably good ideas then.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sure. I mean money is not issue for these shareholders.

I understand the fee would be rather 30+ 15m bonus
Fixed fee = 30m
Bonus A = 6m if PSG is not relegated in the next 4 years (lol)
Bonus B= 4m max (1m per qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League over a period of 4 years)
Bonus C = 5m depending the performances of the player.

So, we can say the transfer fee is between 40-45m

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The most overrated player I now, he has barely shown more than the likes of Chamberlain and Barkley and I think they arent very good, ge has the hype eith him for some time now and has a good match every now and them, but nowhere near good enough for a top club. PSG are becoming worse and worse, from signing Ibra, Cavani, Verrati, Motta, Thiago Silva to now Ben Arfa, Jese, Krychowiak, Draxler shows some lack of ambition.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Might be the best way to go for him. He's an overrated arrogant sophomoric bellend but he has talent. If he ever wants to make the next step it's his chance now: away from German media, not being the star player but playing in a quality team.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The most overrated player I now, he has barely shown more than the likes of Chamberlain and Barkley and I think they arent very good, ge has the hype eith him for some time now and has a good match every now and them, but nowhere near good enough for a top club. PSG are becoming worse and worse, from signing Ibra, Cavani, Verrati, Motta, Thiago Silva to now Ben Arfa, Jese, Krychowiak, Draxler shows some lack of ambition.
think it's more about can they get the players they want, like neymar etc.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm glad he's signed for them and not Liverpool. I find him incredibly irritating and the idea of him getting his shit together under Klopp was a bit of a worry.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

There's no club for him in Germany to go. Neither Bayern nor Dortmund would take him or need him. PSG is still a shitty move. Weak league, team in turmoil, another managment that will just throw money at new players every time anything goes slightly wrong.
Liverpool would have been good, something like Juve maybe, as they wanted him for quite some time. Thinking about it, Juve would have been the best option.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Where will he play? LW and move Di Maria to midfield or a no 10
Probably but I don't see what he will bring, they needed an other goalscorer in that starting eleven and they brought an other passer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a myth that he can play as a LW effectively, just as with Götze. He was used in this position because either a better player occupied the 10 or his position was not present in the team. He's just not explosive or fast enough.
Aren't Schalke doing the same thing with Meyer, I haven't watched them this season but last year he seemed to spend to much time on the wing?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
In my opinion, he is their second best attacker but he doesn't score enough goals.

@BBRBB What do you think?
Exactly, he's doing as well or better as any of our AMs but not really amazing. Cavani is sometimes mocked for his finishing but he's the only one able to score consistently for us. Di Maria even has a 2% conversion rate this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.