Julian Draxler | Official: Sold to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well, Draxler seems to be a controversial player :D

If you want my personal ranking regarding PSG offensive players, I'd say for the season 16/17:

1. Cavani (acquired for 64m) : 24 goals with PSG + 5 goals with Uruguay.
2. Lucas (acquired for 42m) : 11 goals. Decent performances
3. Di Maria (acquired for 63m): 3 goals - Very disappointing on the whole in the last 10 months
4. Pastore (acquired for 42m): no goals - always injured in the last seasons (5 games only this season)
5. Augustin (academy): 1 goal - This promising CF for the future is learning the job as the sub of Cavani
6. Ben Arfa (free agent) and Jésé (25m): no goals - second-class players

I wasn't a fan of the recruitment of Ben Arfa (casual entertainment player) & Jésé (25m for a consistent sub).

Draxler is an interesting acquisition/gamble in both quantitative & qualitative terms.

So, yes, we did need another offensive player because we had only 2 reliable players at the moment: Lucas & Cavani.

And if Draxler is a failure in Paris, then he would join Liverpool for 20-25 millions.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I guess that even if it doesn't work out for PSG they can quite simply afford the gamble, even for such money.

Not sure about Pastore as far as the true career is concerned, he seems to be a bit of a cnut and I wouldn't be surprised if he fails to adapt.

Bwuk

Has wenger came out and said he nearly signed him yet

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exactly, he's doing as well or better as any of our AMs but not really amazing. Cavani is sometimes mocked for his finishing but he's the only one able to score consistently for us. Di Maria even has a 2% conversion rate this season...
Can Draxler provide those goals ?

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Well, Draxler seems to be a controversial player :D

If you want my personal ranking regarding PSG offensive players, I'd say for the season 16/17:

1. Cavani (acquired for 64m) : 24 goals with PSG + 5 goals with Uruguay.
2. Lucas (acquired for 42m) : 11 goals. Decent performances
3. Di Maria (acquired for 63m): 3 goals - Very disappointing on the whole in the last 10 months
4. Pastore (acquired for 42m): no goals - always injured in the last seasons (5 games only this season)
5. Augustin (academy): 1 goal - This promising CF for the future is learning the job as the sub of Cavani
6. Ben Arfa (free agent) and Jésé (25m): no goals - second-class players

I wasn't a fan of the recruitment of Ben Arfa (casual entertainment player) & Jésé (25m for a consistent sub).

Draxler is an interesting acquisition/gamble in both quantitative & qualitative terms.

So, yes, we did need another offensive player because we had only 2 reliable players at the moment: Lucas & Cavani.

And if Draxler is a failure in Paris, then he would join Liverpool for 20-25 millions.
I understand your frustration with ADM, but how are his chances created? I remember off the clips of cavani's hilarious finishing attempts that it was just chance after chance set up by angel.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Exactly, he's doing as well or better as any of our AMs but not really amazing. Cavani is sometimes mocked for his finishing but he's the only one able to score consistently for us. Di Maria even has a 2% conversion rate this season...
I'm not sure Draxler is the answer then. I am once again too lazy to check but Draxler's main quality is providing shot assists (some of them being goal assists), not goals, both as a #10 (which he hasn't played regularly for quite some time) or on the wing.

MounchesterUtd

Comparisons to Balotelli are ridiculous. His move to Wolfsburg was just really stupid, but at that time Wolfsburg was financially in a completely different situation. I think he needs to move to a team where he's not the big star and can develop, PSG or Arsenal are probably good ideas then.
What happened? I thought they were one of the better run clubs in the BuLi? Or do you mean they're even richer now?

Abizzz

He isn't cup tied, is he?

Watch him shine against Barcelona (Barca will still win over 2 legs), that's his kind of stage, loads of you will change your opinion within the next 2 months.

Why do so many say he's such a difficult character? He wanted to leave Schalke because he didn't believe he could be the 'messiah' the crowds expected him to be (At ~21). Going to Wolfsburg was dodgy and stupid, but every 21 year old makes mistakes. His conduct at Wolfsburg was definitely questionable. But then again Wolfsburg as a whole is questionable and I understand why he regretted the move quickly. He did perform right in the beginning for them though, and only fell apart once Wolfsburg as a whole started falling apart.

A lot more blame is with Hecking and Allofs than with Draxler. Them scapegoating one of their youngest players didn't improve the situation, especially at times when people like Christian Träsch, Vierienha, Knoche, Schäfer, Seguin, Gomez or Bas Dost were allowed to play utter **** alongside him without even getting mentioned. It's hardly Draxlers fault Wolfsburg wanted to masquerade as a 'large' club and therefore pay loads for him. It's the typical case of a club overpaying for someone and then expecting him to be of the quality they paid for instead of the quality he actually has.

I hope it will be easier for him in Paris with all other teammates having similar price-tags.

Last edited:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Can Draxler provide those goals ?
I'm not sure Draxler is the answer then. I am once again too lazy to check but Draxler's main quality is providing shot assists (some of them being goal assists), not goals, both as a #10 (which he hasn't played regularly for quite some time) or on the wing.
I'm not sure he's exacly what we need but there's no better option on the winter market.

As a PSG supporter I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Crossie

Supports
Volkswagen stopped funding them after the emissions scandal.
Incorrect. The amount of funding is under discussion, no decision made yet. It might or might not drop significantly but the club remains to be 100% owened by VW.

the hea

Incorrect. The amount of funding is under discussion, no decision made yet. It might or might not drop significantly but the club remains to be 100% owened by VW.
I know they are owned by the Volkswagen group and that won't change but I thought they already had tightened the budget significantly, I didn't know they were still discussing it. Either way it is a huge blow to the people of Wolfsburg since it isn't just a question about the football team but also about peoples jobs and lively hood.

Crossie

Supports
I know they are owned by the Volkswagen group and that won't change but I thought they already had tightened the budget significantly, I didn't know they were still discussing it. Either way it is a huge blow to the people of Wolfsburg since it isn't just a question about the football team but also about peoples jobs and lively hood.
I should clarify that I rely on what my relatives who are fans and live in Wolfsburg told me when we chatted this week just before Christmas. Apparently, VW Execs are still undecided if they should generously fund to get the club back onto the European competition stage - the club is a marketing tool after all - or if they should take a very different approach and focus on youth development without ambitions for the top
Their academy is reasonably successful but under Allofs (former DoF) and Hecking (former head coach) youth didn't have much of a chance to break into the 1st team. Julian Brandt is a prominent example: From their own academy, they negotiated with him a professional contract when he was 17 and a bit, but told him that he'd first have to play and make an impression in the U23 team. No wonder he took the opportunity to say thank you and signed his professional contact elsewhere (Leverkusen).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watch him shine against Barcelona (Barca will still win over 2 legs), that's his kind of stage, loads of you will change your opinion within the next 2 months.
That's true, he certainly stepped it up in the latter stages for Germany at the Euros.

the hea

I should clarify that I rely on what my relatives who are fans and live in Wolfsburg told me when we chatted this week just before Christmas. Apparently, VW Execs are still undecided if they should generously fund to get the club back onto the European competition stage - the club is a marketing tool after all - or if they should take a very different approach and focus on youth development without ambitions for the top
Their academy is reasonably successful but under Allofs (former DoF) and Hecking (former head coach) youth didn't have much of a chance to break into the 1st team. Julian Brandt is a prominent example: From their own academy, they negotiated with him a professional contract when he was 17 and a bit, but told him that he'd first have to play and make an impression in the U23 team. No wonder he took the opportunity to say thank you and signed his professional contact elsewhere (Leverkusen).
Thanks for the info. I think I might have just made the assumption that they had cut the funding since Wolfsburg have been selling their best players and Volkswagen having done major cost reductions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank goodness, we can escape the tonnes and tonnes of "Arsenal close to Draxler" buy stories...

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I understand your frustration with ADM, but how are his chances created? I remember off the clips of cavani's hilarious finishing attempts that it was just chance after chance set up by angel.
ADM remains a top player but isn't a leader on the pitch.

The issue is he sleeps between 2 chances created :lol:

I'm not sure he's exacly what we need but there's no better option on the winter market.

As a PSG supporter I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Hey :)

I don't know what to think about him because I understand he was blacklisted in the last months.

Now, I'm sure he is better than Jésé :wenger:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Hey :)

I don't know what to think about him because I understand he was blacklisted in the last months.

Now, I'm sure he is better than Jésé :wenger:
Hey!
I'm sure he'll have a bigger impact, but some other players who disappointed in the first part of the season should also step up in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.