g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Julian Draxler

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Perhaps, but I meant not to the extent that Guardiola demands. Draxler and Reus are good enough players to pass and move, but they are maybe not happy with the patient play and slow tempo of moves.
Louis van Gaal's possession stile at Bayern München was at least equally patient and slow as Guardiola's. I would even argue that Guardiola's stile was much more exciting and fast until the end of February, but LvG also didn't have as good a squad as the Spaniard.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I don't get the pessimism regarding Riberys replacement entirely.

Yes, he's a beast and the most influental Bayern player of the last decade. But we have grown as a club; and while he is certainly unique in his skillset (like basically every player) his setup hardly is: he's a pacy, tricky dribbler with a goalthreat. It may be expensive, but it will be possible if we are willing to spend. Best case would be either Kurt or Green stepping up, of course. They both have in in them.

Last edited:

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich

Yes, he's a beast and the most influental Bayern player of the last decade. But we have grown as a club; and while he is certainly unique in his skillset (like basically every player) is setup hardly is: he's a pacy, tricky dribbler with a goalthreat. It may be expensive, but it will be possible if we are willing to spend. Best case would be eizher Kurt or Green stepping up, of course. zhey both have in in them.

You overlook Franck Ribéry's most important and unique asset, his playmaking ability as a winger. There are quite a few players with pace, fancy dribbles and goal threat, but playmaking on top of is very rare.

If it is still such an easy task, where are those proven top-class wingers who are also available for purchase?

I don't see many.

Deleted member 78215

Yes, he's a beast and the most influental Bayern player of the last decade. But we have grown as a club; and while he is certainly unique in his skillset (like basically every player) is setup hardly is: he's a pacy, tricky dribbler with a goalthreat. It may be expensive, but it will be possible if we are willing to spend. Best case would be eizher Kurt or Green stepping up, of course. zhey both have in in them.
Really? Genuinely interested to know if that's the common consensus amongst Bayern fans.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Really? Genuinely interested to know if that's the common consensus amongst Bayern fans.
Yeah, easily. Our drop in form in 2014 since he struggles with injuries makes it even more obvious. Ribery made us play great football, he lifted the team to a higher level. You can't measure his contribution in stats, but it's really a no brainer.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
If you look at the timeframe of 2014-2004? Most certainly. Toni and Gomez haven't been there long enough, Robben is only there till 2009 and has the final of 2012 standing against him. Neuer only arrived in 2011.

I think you hint at Schweinsteiger and Lahm, and they have been educated here. But Ribéry really was a sign of a changing mindset by our bosses, he showed that we finally were ready to spend again and he was the starting point for us to challenge for european glory again. And, don't forget, Schweinsteiger was a mediocre RW till at least 2008. He's the posterboy in some ways, but Ribery took our game to another level. Lahm will always be hindered by the fact that he's a left or right defender, he hardly can be as influential as Ribery.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's not a slight on any other player, Ribery has been absolutely fantastic for us and was the standout player in the best season the club has ever played.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
According to the theory, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's reveal of a lower release clause in the contract of Marco Reus (€ 25M instead of € 35M), means that the player rejected a move to Bayern München for a second time. Otherwise Rummenigge would have no interest to make that piece of information public knowledge.

This line of thought has its merits, but I wouldn't be so sure, because any Director of Football is only one phonecall away from finding out the truth about that release clause from Marco's agency. Furthermore our officials have a record when it comes to boneheaded comments without a deeper agenda. In fact SportBild already reported about the € 25M clause in April of 2013 in the wake of the Götze transfer to Bayern.
It was never about the information, though. It was about the principle that a head official should never discuss contract details of players from other clubs in public and what kind of effect the whole saga had on Reus himself.

Rummenigge clearly wanted to rile Dortmund up a bit (he succeeded in that) and used Reus as a pawn to accomplish that. Reus himself simply wanted to get back to his feet after missing out on the chance to become world champion, but was instead dragged into the medial focus by Rummenigge´s antics. Reus reacted to this in the wisest way by simply keeping his mouth shut, but he was nonetheless put on the spot there in front of the media and the supporters. Thats simply not how you treat a player, whom you are optimistic to join you in the near future. It is way more likely that this was a reaction of being turned down and this is also how the journalists with the closest ties to Dortmund (especially Röckenhaus) saw it.

That does not mean, that he will certainly stay at Dortmund. The most likely scenario will be that he moves abroad in the Summer instead of joining Munich and quite frankly the Bundesliga is probably better of with this scenario than the other.

Devil may care

He's clearly talented. I really dislike him though, not entirely sure why. And yes, I'm pretty sure Reus turned us down and Rummenigge acted like a cnut because of it.
There is an air of arrogance about Draxler but I've not read anything to that fact. Why does Reus not want to play for Bayern do you think?

According to the theory, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's reveal of a lower release clause in the contract of Marco Reus (€ 25M instead of € 35M), means that the player rejected a move to Bayern München for a second time. Otherwise Rummenigge would have no interest to make that piece of information public knowledge.

This line of thought has its merits, but I wouldn't be so sure, because any Director of Football is only one phonecall away from finding out the truth about that release clause from Marco's agency. Furthermore our officials have a record when it comes to boneheaded comments without a deeper agenda. In fact SportBild already reported about the € 25M clause in April of 2013 in the wake of the Götze transfer to Bayern.
I see, so it could be a case of mind games to rattle Dortmund before the season. It still seems and odd thing to do if Reus does end up going to Bayern next year though as it will add extra hostility for the lad doing business in that manner.

Manucho the boss

Had a quiet season in 2013/2014 but seems to be coming back to form. I'd like to see him here but don't think we have any space for more attackers. I can see Arsenal buying him and turning him into a 2nd striker in the hope he becomes their new RVP.

RedMilo

I see we have been linked again with Julian Draxler, this guy looked excellent in UCL the season before last, does anyone know how he went on for Schalke this season?

GledTheRed

I see we have been linked again with Julian Draxler, this guy looked excellent in UCL the season before last, does anyone know how he went on for Schalke this season?
We have been linked?

Would love this guy, looked superb before injuries derailed him.

RedMilo

He had an offer from Arsenal last season but said at that time he wanted to spend one more year at Schalke. Dont know if our interest is firm or whether Arsenal remain interested but saw he was linked with move to EPL earlier this week by this reporter off Sky Germany - cant think if his name, sorry.

Ringo 07

I reckon if we can sign 1 German then it will open the floodgates to get a few more. We simply need to be signing Germans at this club similar to what Arsenal are doing. Germans are even better than South Americans because they come from a similar climate etc and will always settle much easier......It's nuts to think that a club of the size of Utd has never had a top class German in the ranks...signing Draxler would be insane - he's an immense talent

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I don't think any top club will sign him now. Bayern's supposed interest is also pretty much gone like it seems. He hasn't been that great in the last 2 seasons and had injury problems too and I am not sure anymore he will develope into the player he could be or what I thought he could be 1,2 years ago. Meyer is now the more interesting Schalke player for me, could have been better that season too, but Schalke has been a bit shit in general. Will be interesting if the next manager can get more out of their talented players.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Would be a good option as would Sterling. We could do with some German players

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Thought it was once a given his guy was Arsenal bound when he moved. Has their interest cooled?
From what I can gather price seems to be the issue. They want around £35m IIRC. Great talent, wouldn't mind if we took a punt on him this summer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Draxler looked really exciting when he started out, but imo he has stagnated (if not worse) for the past 1-2 years and he also had some problems with injuries.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Why? He's no better than Depay, ADM, Young, Mata and Fellaini, Rooney, Januzaj, Pereira, Lingard can also play on their positions. Draxler would be overkill, especially for that fee.
I'm not a Man Utd fan ;)

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Sorry. My bad. Although you've got Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla, AOC, Walcott who are all good enough to start.
Out of those guys only Alexis can play on the left. I wouldn't use Draxler in the middle, think he could develop into a top class left sided player.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
From what I can gather price seems to be the issue. They want around £35m IIRC. Great talent, wouldn't mind if we took a punt on him this summer.
They're living in dreamland if they think he's worth that. Even Draxler has said he isnt worth that dough & that his form must massively improve for a valuation of that size to be plausible..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Juve have been trying to sign him but thus far haven't been able to agree a fee with Schalke.

There has been rumblings in Italy that we have now joined the race for his signature. I would love for it to be True, would be a fantastic purchase at a reasonable price if Di Marzio is to be believed.

Thoughts...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Didn't hear about him much last season but remember his talent from watching him in Europe the seasons before. Can't really comment much on him myself. We need someone that can play on either wing and I'd like to see Pereira play and Januzaj if he doesn't get loaned out. Pedro makes more sense and he's a sure thing as far as you can be sure about things whilst Draxler is reportedly, by those who watch him here on the caf, inconsistent.

Isn't he basically like a different kind of Nani? Can't be that bad.

GledTheRed

Juve have been trying to sign him but thus far haven't been able to agree a fee with Schalke.

There has been rumblings in Italy that we have now joined the race for his signature. I would love for it to be True, would be a fantastic purchase at a reasonable price if Di Marzio is to be believed.

Thoughts...
Would cum so hard if we got Draxler, I think he excellent. He could occupy pretty much any position up top in our current set up his price would be reasoanable too.

ottosec

Looks like he's only played 10 games last season in all competitions. Was it one long injury or is he very injury prone?

Baxter

If he will get back to his best, then I think he'd suit us far more than Mata. He's bigger and quicker and still has the ability to play across the front. It would be interesting if we've given up on the Pedro transfer or aiming to get them both.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he will get back to his best, then I think he'd suit us far more than Mata. He's bigger and quicker and still has the ability to play across the front. It would be interesting if we've given up on the Pedro transfer or aiming to get them both.
Getting both would be the way to go in my opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This guy's name randomly popped into my head the other day and I was wondering what had happened to him. Was supposed to be the next big star, linked with top clubs, then suddenly everyone seemed to forget about him.

I guess injuries have stalled his development then?