Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Of course I recognise Nagelsmann as a very bright and charismatic coach. My previous trolling of him is obviously in support of Ole.

I still don’t understand how he tactically demolished Ole when we started out with 7 defensive players in our half, how did they create so much space on the wings for full backs to pass directly to each other?! perhaps you or @Adnan can explain! Whatever he did, it was masterful and bewildering and thoroughly unpleasant as a fan to see my team get mauled like that. It was like khabib had us in a deadly grip!

IF Ole leaves this year, Nagelsmann should be a strong candidate, though I’m still hesitant of his strength of character, given just how much scrutiny we are under and how vicious our fan base can be: can he handle that?
Nagelsmann played a 4-3-3 with Olmo as the false #9 and Forsberg as the forward player on the left. Both players are central attacking players and both players dropped deeper to occupy our two mids which opened up the space for Leipzig's fullbacks which cost us and gave Leipzig a numerical advantage centrally.

Woodenlung

I really enjoy watching Leipzig play. They aren't a gung ho pressing side, but rather pick their moment to initiate the press. They singled out Shaw and AWB quite a lot on this.

When they win the ball back they're prepared to counter immediately. Their forwards know where to run and what kind of pass to expect from their midfield. Then their midfielders make runs into the box to support the forward. It's a level of coordination that United just don't have. We like to think that we're a decent counterattacking side, but Leipzig are easily better than us. We can pick a side off if they overcommit, but they just need to expose one player and they're in

I'd love to see what Nagelsmann could do with Rashford and Greenwood. But are fast and skillful forwards who can beat a defender one on one. His style of coaching would maximize their talents.

Wheato

:lol: :lol: :lol: , I opened the thread and this was one the 1st message I read.
It was a statement of fact. He was out on the touchline in his mafia boss suit, by the 3rd goal he was hiding behind the wall. We put SEVEN goals past his side. 19 shots tonight, and we were absolutely awful. There was no tactical masterclass there, we gave it to them, just like in Istanbul where we forget to defend.

Wheato

I really enjoy watching Leipzig play. They aren't a gung ho pressing side, but rather pick their moment to initiate the press. They singled out Shaw and AWB quite a lot on this.

When they win the ball back they're prepared to counter immediately. Their forwards know where to run and what kind of pass to expect from their midfield. Then their midfielders make runs into the box to support the forward. It's a level of coordination that United just don't have. We like to think that we're a decent counterattacking side, but Leipzig are easily better than us. We can pick a side off if they overcommit, but they just need to expose one player and they're in

I'd love to see what Nagelsmann could do with Rashford and Greenwood. But are fast and skillful forwards who can beat a defender one on one. His style of coaching would maximize their talents.
They just fouled and fouled and fouled every time we got the ball. 18 times the ref blew for a foul that they had committed. They were lucky not to lose a player if the ref had managed to keep score of all the people he'd booked. It was so blatant, every time Bruno or Rashford got the ball they were flattened. And if we were snide players like PSG are, we could have play acted and got someone sent off but we just took it and carried on. I think tactical fouling is cowardly and underhand. I wouldn't want to watch our players just tripping, pushing, pulling anyone who has the ball. The stop start nature of the game is pretty dull and repetitive.

Heinzesight

They just fouled and fouled and fouled every time we got the ball. 18 times the ref blew for a foul that they had committed. They were lucky not to lose a player if the ref had managed to keep score of all the people he'd booked. It was so blatant, every time Bruno or Rashford got the ball they were flattened. And if we were snide players like PSG are, we could have play acted and got someone sent off but we just took it and carried on. I think tactical fouling is cowardly and underhand. I wouldn't want to watch our players just tripping, pushing, pulling anyone who has the ball. The stop start nature of the game is pretty dull and repetitive.
Fernandes is the only one who tries to highlight shit like this to the ref yet all the others just accept it. It’s weird.

Nick7

It was a statement of fact. He was out on the touchline in his mafia boss suit, by the 3rd goal he was hiding behind the wall. We put SEVEN goals past his side. 19 shots tonight, and we were absolutely awful. There was no tactical masterclass there, we gave it to them, just like in Istanbul where we forget to defend.
19 shots mean nothing when most of them were pot shots. It’s not like we created 19 amazing chances. We were taking shots because we couldn’t create any chances.

eire-red

Agreed. Such a difference between us and them in how we attack. We are relying on individual brilliance while their whole team operates as a collective.

We had a whole half to get two goals and our tactics were to score from a penalty, free kick or corner.

If you switched managers, as in Ole was in charge of them and Nagglesman was in charge of us, we would have hammered them.
Spot on. He clearly has created a very good team, but they're still a bit functional up front. Imagine instead of Forsberg and Poulsen, these moments Leipzig created were falling to Bruno, Cavani etc.

R'hllor

Funny thread, reminds me of comments made after game vs Southampton in their manager thread (really dont remember his name right now).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We didn’t really do much in the second half. A joke of a penalty that never should have been given and a scrappy goal that can happen against any team. They were pretty much fully in control before that and we were stuck taking pot shots and they were fully in control after that for the most part.
Their third was scrappy, came from a huge mistake.
They could of conceded in the last minute with an own goal, we hit the bar, forced the keeper into two good saves.
They were far from in control in the second half, which is my point entirely.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The sad part is I am still convinced we have a better squad than Leipzig.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The sad part is I am still convinced we have a better squad than Leipzig.
Don't understand. Of course we have a better squad. Rb Leipzig are just well coached. Look at leeds under beilsa, spurs under Pochettino, dortmund under klopp. A top manager makes a great team. I have no doubt that nagelsman is a good manager after seeing how his team plays.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't understand. Of course we have a better squad. Rb Leipzig are just well coached. Look at leeds under beilsa, spurs under Pochettino, dortmund under klopp. A top manager makes a great team. I have no doubt that nagelsman is a good manager after seeing how his team plays.
That's my point. People are talking like finishing third wasn't a disaster since we were up against Leipzig.
The only handicap we had against them was they had a better coach.

POF

I wasn't impressed at all. They have quite a cohesive press but there's more to football than that.

Defensively they look poor and any team that shuts them down would really fancy their chances.

They were a lucky ricochet off the keeper away from getting knocked out from a 3-0 lead at home. They also got absolutely schooled at OT.

The sad fact is that United were a disorganised shambles early on and by the time the game settled were 2 down. If Bruno's free kick went in, United would have been favourites to win and even after a freak 3rd, United still should have nicked the draw.

Ironically, Leipzig's most impressive phase was the last 10 minutes when they shut the game down by pressing the United back 4, exploiting the 3 inexperienced defenders. Why United brought them on to when chasing the game is a whole different question.

youngrell

Agreed. I do not find this way of playing exciting to watch at all. How we ended up with more yellow cards than them only the ref knows.

shahzy

They were a lucky ricochet off the keeper away from getting knocked out from a 3-0 lead at home. They also got absolutely schooled at OT.
Yet they are in the next round and we are in the beautiful Europa league

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I mean, our goals were a random penalty and a weird shot that hit three players on its way to the goal. I’m not sure if we can play the luck card here.

Martial

The sad fact is that United were a disorganised shambles early on and by the time the game settled were 2 down. If Bruno's free kick went in, United would have been favourites to win and even after a freak 3rd, United still should have nicked the draw.

Ironically, Leipzig's most impressive phase was the last 10 minutes when they shut the game down by pressing the United back 4, exploiting the 3 inexperienced defenders. Why United brought them on to when chasing the game is a whole different question.
Perfect summary of the match.

More times than not we win this game. That's football.

Godfather

I wasn't impressed at all. They have quite a cohesive press but there's more to football than that.

Defensively they look poor and any team that shuts them down would really fancy their chances.

What more can you ask for from a team like Leipzig? They don't have a squad like we do. Their team probably cost a tenth of ours. Still played us off the park for most of the game. All that after playing their most difficult game of the season against Bayern

POF

What more can you ask for from a team like Leipzig? They don't have a squad like we do. Their team probably cost a tenth of ours. Still played us off the park for most of the game. All that after playing their most difficult game of the season against Bayern
They are a well run club. United are not. Being manager of a disfunctional shambles of a club like United is not as easy as people seem to think. The assumption that one of these hipster coaches could come in and transform the team is a bit too simplistic for me.

Ole signed 4 of the starting 11 that played for United vs Leipzig and 1 of the 5 subs (that 1 was definitely not his first choice). Yes, those signings cost a squillion pounds but there are reasons for that and none of them are down to Ole.

POF

I mean, our goals were a random penalty and a weird shot that hit three players on its way to the goal. I’m not sure if we can play the luck card here.
Not playing the luck card at all. If I was I'd have mentioned the free kick too.

I'm just pointing out the fine line between hailing Nagelsman as a tactical genius and him being ridiculed for coaching a team of bottlers who threw away a 3 goal lead in 20 minutes at home.

Godfather

They are a well run club. United are not. Being manager of a disfunctional shambles of a club like United is not as easy as people seem to think. The assumption that one of these hipster coaches could come in and transform the team is a bit too simplistic for me.

Ole signed 4 of the starting 11 that played for United vs Leipzig and 1 of the 5 subs (that 1 was definitely not his first choice). Yes, those signings cost a squillion pounds but there are reasons for that and none of them are down to Ole.
You lost me with your last point.

As to the running of Clubs: I agree. They are better run. At the end of the day we have a good enough squad to beat them though. We are undeperforming under Ole.

And I also agree that Nagelsmann alone wouldnt be enough here. Get Rangnick in as a DOF

soapythecat

Progressive, tactically sound manager. That RB team would be mid table we’re it not for him.
Hard working side who know exactly what’s needed of them, hence why they do so well.
I’d love to see what he could do with the United side.
I’d happily replace Ole (with anyone actually) with this guy, Hass...saints manager, Rose and even Potter. All of them have a similar blueprints this guy and are doing well with relatively inferior squads.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They are a unit of overachievers. I think their midfield is not the best, they don’t really have a top notch forward and even though I think highly of their 2 cbs, particularly konate, they don’t half cough up chances

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Progressive, tactically sound manager. That RB team would be mid table we’re it not for him.
Hard working side who know exactly what’s needed of them, hence why they do so well.
I’d love to see what he could do with the United side.
I’d happily replace Ole (with anyone actually) with this guy, Hass...saints manager, Rose and even Potter. All of them have a similar blueprints this guy and are doing well with relatively inferior squads.

Sadly we have a few months of pain before we can even think of asking him. Then Woody would probably sell Utd as Disneyland again.....Nagelsman walks away..

Inigo Montoya

They are a unit of overachievers. I think their midfield is not the best, they don’t really have a top notch forward and even though I think highly of their 2 cbs, particularly konate, they don’t half cough up chances
Which makes a defeat to them much harder to fathom

Devil77

Nah! Overrrated. We gave Leipzig the victory by being so inept in defense and despite United playing like sh..t RBL almost blew it in the end

Deery

Dreary
Not really that impressed by him if I’m being honest, we were just the poorer side on the night letting in two daft goals and still had enough chances to win the game.

Inigo Montoya

Nah! Overrrated. We gave Leipzig the victory by being so inept in defense and despite United playing like sh..t RBL almost blew it in the end
While ignoring the fact that we've done this in almost every game this season. We should have been 3 down at HT

We've clawed back because we've had better players not because we have a superior coach

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with our squad and our rescources. At the end of the day Leipzig isnt a mega club.