Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

cyberman

Should they actually, consciously do worse, allowing their targets to get away and giving a few domestic titles to their competitors here and there? I always found that criticism of Bayern very weird. Their goal is to be as successful as a club as they can be — and they do that very well. And it's not like it's hurting their standings in European football — they always play well in CL, most notably winning 2 trebles during the past decade.

The criticism should be focused on other clubs — and maybe on the league's management that could've thought of something. But to criticise Bayern for being as efficient and successful as they are?
Theres nothing that can be done. Its too far gone now, to the point this domination has become institutionalised.
They arent even going out and bringing in amazing talents to Germany which would be a plus point. Its a German select 11 v sides full of players that didnt make it.

Godfather

Comparing United to Bayern is ridiculous.

It might be that people who didn't want this guy at United factored in that the job isn't comparable to being head coach at Bayern - at all. Rather than just not "rating" him or writing him off as a hipster.
I'd say the job here might be easier. A "DoF" that has no clue what he is doing, owners that have no clue about football and are content with a top 4 finish. Imagine that at Bayern.

POF

That's a different topic, no one is arguing that Bayern aren't head and shoulders above the rest of league in terms of prestige and money or that the league is exceptionally competitive. I responded to two claim that were made, first that the Buli was happy to help Bayern dominate and that Bayern were always poaching players from their rivals both are wrong. Bayern aren't rivals with the other teams mentioned not like Real Madrid and Barcelona are so the comparison is misguided particularly when Barcelona and Real are in the same bracket in almost all criteria, Bayern also don't really operate within Bundesliga for big players, that's why people essentially mention the same three players and it should be repeated, Hummels came from Bayern, Gotze come from Bavaria and by signing Lewandowski they prevented him from strengthening CL competitors because Lewandowski was leaving Dortmund no matter what.

Regarding United, at the height of the rivalry United and Arsenal were similar clubs, Leipzig and Bayern aren't rivals, they are not equal to Bayern and it's a step up for Nagelsmann. When Arsenal lost ground, their best player left for United. United are also a poor example, we are talking about the club that used to handpick the best players in the PL from Keane, Cantona, Cole, Yorke, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Carrick, Rooney to prime Van Persie, United actually operated heavily within the PL. That's exactly what happens when you have money and prestige, the best local players choose you over other clubs.

Bayern dominates because they are more competent and more stable than everyone else, they don't really poach other german clubs, other german clubs and fans don't bend over for Bayern, they are simply ragdolled by Bayern and there is nothing they can do about it outside of trying to improve organically.
I think that sums it up and sums up why you get the "the rest of the league don't even try to challenge Bayern" accusations.

You say Leipzig aren't Bayern's rivals. They're 2nd. In what other league would the team in 1st not be seen as their rivals? United have had title battles with Leeds, Villa, Blackburn, Newcastle, etc as well as the likes of City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. All of those teams would have been seen as rivals in those particular seasons.

As for improving organically, even that won't work. Because when a team does and develops a good side, Bayern will just come along and take what makes that team competitive.

You mention all of those players United signed from EPL clubs. Not a single one had any chance of winning the title at their existing club when United signed them, except maybe Cantona who left for other reasons.

Bayern decide they want the 2nd placed team's manager and best defender and there's not a single person who doesn't believe it will happen. There's no possible consideration that they will hold firm and keep their manager and best players and aim to challenge Bayern.

When you consider that, it's hard to argue that these other teams don't just exist to be also rans to Bayern.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree that the general sentiment about the Bundesliga is a bit lazy.

However I think the key thing is that for most other top leagues, even for the top team there are personnel in the league which are unattainable for rivalry or other footballing reasons. For instance Utd can't buy top Liverpool players, Real can't buy top Barca players, etc. But from a distance that doesn't seem to be the case with Bayern. It's the one league I can think of where the top team has been able to buy from literally every team without too much hardship.
Two things Bayern doesn't have that type of rivalries, you are trying to make a parallel that doesn't actually exist, there is no equivalent to Barcelona-Real Madrid or United-Liverpool.

Godfather

They are killing that league, theres nothing to admire about the way they keep their foot on the throat of Germany.
Who wouldn't do it in their position. We bought the best players from other PL clubs for years as well (although not directly from our rivals, that's special). The funny thing is their denial.

He'sRaldo

Bayern don't have a meaningful rivalry right now, since their historical rivals are lingering in the lower leagues. What rivalry would Man Utd have in the EPL if Leeds, Man City and Liverpool were all going down next year?

And as for footballing reasons - while clubs are competing with them, there is an undeniable financial and sportive gap, so jumping from Leipzig to Bayern is not comparable to Liverpool > Man Utd or Barca > Real, but rather with Leicester > Man Utd or Sevilla > Real. And those moves happen in the EPL and Spain as well.
The issue there is that besides historical rivalry, sporting rivalries also develop with time and fierce competition. However, due to the huge financial gap not only from Bayern but from other clubs in Europe, Bundesliga clubs have not been able to build teams with enough players to actually form a sporting rivalry with Bayern to the point where transfers to and from the clubs would be difficult to accomplish.

In short, I don't think Bayern will ever have restrictions on who to buy in the Bundesliga, and of course you can infer the long term effects of that on the league.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Οne of the biggest clubs in Europe hire him, but no for caf experts he is a nothing more than a hipster manager.. Truth is we always miss out.
We don't need a manager right now, so we havent missed out!

Also, there is a lot more to this appointment than just getting a good manager, they are also weakening their closest rivals for the upcoming season, killing two birds with one stone.

He'sRaldo

Two things Bayern doesn't have that type of rivalries, you are trying to make a parallel that doesn't actually exist, there is no equivalent to Barcelona-Real Madrid or United-Liverpool.
Yes that's my point exactly.

If there was another top team in the Bundelsiga which Bayern could not buy from, their other transfer dealings would probably be seen in a much better light. After all, Barcelona buys a lot of La Liga players, Utd buys a lot of PL players, etc. But it's the fact that there are some clubs they cannot buy from, that gives more legitimacy to the leagues. And I think the only way to achieve that is with rivalries.

Of course in Bayern terms they don't need that at all, they're doing very well for themselves. But for the Bundesliga to be viewed in a better light than it currently is, I think that's what needs to happen and I doubt it ever will.

FatTails

Good signing for Bayern. Extremely well-run club and deserve the position they are in. Lots of misinformed posts in this thread.

Their revenues have more than tripled in the past 20 years and all that was done by investing their earnings smartly in new markets, buying well, replacing players at the right time, and hiring the right managers more often than not.

It’s a path other BL clubs can take. Additionally, let’s not act like the PL is not heading in the same direction of being dominated by one team, except in this case it is a state-owned and artificially-propped up team.

City are about to win their 5th title in 10 seasons, finishing runner-up in another 3. In that same period they’ve won the FA cup twice, and the league cup 6 times. People have short memories, but the only reason City didn’t win more was some poor seasons on their end where they hired poor managers and went through that period when they signed so many terrible defenders. This is the same City who were nobodies before the past 10 years (as opposed to Bayern who have been building up this position for decades). The next 10, I’d be surprised if they don’t win another 7 or more PL league titles.

Reactions: Cheimoon

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Οne of the biggest clubs in Europe hire him, but no for caf experts he is a nothing more than a hipster manager.. Truth is we always miss out.
Yeah, he was available and we rejected him. It's always about ManUtd, whole footballing world revolves around us. Bayern made their decision only after we rejected Nagelsmann. Same with Pep and City too.

OmarUnited4ever

PSG is the only one i can think of. Some may argue Man City as well but at least sometimes other teams pop up and win ie: Liverpool, Leicester.

You can't in any way, form or shape argue that city is dominating the EPL, because in the last 10 years (2010-2011 till 2019-2020), United won the league twice, Chelsea twice, city 3 times, and Liverpool & Liecester once each.

Perhaps a better example is Juventus doing it for 9 years consecutively, PSG winning it consistently since 2012 except for the one time Monaco won it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The issue there is that besides historical rivalry, sporting rivalries also develop with time and fierce competition. However, due to the huge financial gap not only from Bayern but from other clubs in Europe, Bundesliga clubs have not been able to build teams with enough players to actually form a sporting rivalry with Bayern to the point where transfers to and from the clubs would be difficult to accomplish.

In short, I don't think Bayern will ever have restrictions on who to buy in the Bundesliga, and of course you can infer the long term effects of that on the league.
That's what I said, isn't? (Edit: And you too again, just now. :) ) The gap is too large, and thus effectively the top in Germany consists of one club, and the subtop starts at #2 in the league. And as anywhere, there is no sportive rivalry between the top and subtop, and it's not weird to see a player switch from a subtop club to a top club. (Even though that happens much more rarely in the BL than people are saying here.)

Also, for those that think the BL and its followers are actually fine with any of this - there was a long discussion on possible solutions just last week in the German football thread. The problem isn't that people don't want change, it's that there is no obvious solution as long as the clubs with serious potential keep messing up too often (or downright monumentally, like Schalke and HSV). See here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/german-football-20-21.457122/post-27116213

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd say the job here might be easier. A "DoF" that has no clue what he is doing, owners that have no clue about football and are content with a top 4 finish. Imagine that at Bayern.
Yeah, but if you were to blindly hire a random manager/head coach for both clubs, it would be easier for that person to win the Bundesliga than finish in the top four in England.

And that's without factoring in the actual structural problems/squad problems at United - which aren't comparable to Bayern's situation in the slightest.

JPRouve

Scout
I think that sums it up and sums up why you get the "the rest of the league don't even try to challenge Bayern" accusations.

You say Leipzig aren't Bayern's rivals. They're 2nd. In what other league would the team in 1st not be seen as their rivals? United have had title battles with Leeds, Villa, Blackburn, Newcastle, etc as well as the likes of City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. All of those teams would have been seen as rivals in those particular seasons.

As for improving organically, even that won't work. Because when a team does and develops a good side, Bayern will just come along and take what makes that team competitive.

You mention all of those players United signed from EPL clubs. Not a single one had any chance of winning the title at their existing club when United signed them, except maybe Cantona who left for other reasons.

Bayern decide they want the 2nd placed team's manager and best defender and there's not a single person who doesn't believe it will happen. There's no possible consideration that they will hold firm and keep their manager and best players and aim to challenge Bayern.

When you consider that, it's hard to argue that these other teams don't just exist to be also rans to Bayern.
In every single league, a rivalry doesn't start because you are 1st and 2nd in a single year, the current 13th and 14th aren't rivals either. A rivalry is based on historic recordsand actual competition between the teams. The reality of the Bundesliga is that they haven't had a rival in a long time. Bayern vs Gladbach in the 70s was a rivalry, being miles behind Bayern and barely the best of the rest every other year isn't a rivalry.

The last time Leipzig finished second was in 2017 which was also the first time. They have never finished at less than 10 points from Bayern, they are not rivals, there is no history between these clubs for obvious reason.

Sweet Square

''Poor old Germany. Too big for Europe, too small for the world''.

Bayren are just a mini version of Germany. They are too big for the Bundesliga due to a number of factors yet they too small for a potential super league which would feature Europe biggest clubs.

They are stuck which isn't so bad for Bayren fans but for every other german football fans it's kinda of shite. At least the tickets are cheap.

OmarUnited4ever

It's pretty obvious though isn't it. Bayern have been utterly dominant in German football for years. When that happens, others look on for who will be the team to challenge them.

When Dortmund got close, their 3 best players joined Bayern. Now, their main challenger is Leipzig who have average players but one of the most sought after managers in Europe and Bayern just take their manager.

At the height of the United/Arsenal rivalry, if Fergie left United, would you have expected Wenger to take his place, or Pep to join Real after he left Barca?

For a German player or manager who wants to spend his best years in Germany and play/manage at the highest level, there is one option. That makes it an uncompetitive league.

As an outsider looking in, nobody cares who Dortmund sign from other German clubs because they haven't won the league 9 years in a row.
Wrong, Bayern also signed Dayot Upamrcano

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They are too big for the Bundesliga due to a number of factors yet they too small for a potential super league which would feature Europe biggest clubs.
Eh?

One of the main reasons why the ESL abomination - happily - went to shit, was that Bayern weren't on board.

They obviously aren't "too small" for anything - they're one of the very biggest football clubs in the world in terms of...anything you can think of, really: historical significance, fan base, revenue AND current level.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

Bayren are just a mini version of Germany. They are too big for the Bundesliga due to a number of factors yet they too small for a potential super league which would feature Europe biggest clubs.

They are stuck which isn't so bad for Bayren fans but for every other german football fans it's kinda of shite. At least the tickets are cheap.
What the feck?:lol::lol::lol:

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Can any Bundesliga fans remind me again why there was so much hate for RBL from the Bayern fans? I thought they were supposed to be BL's own version of Man City.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Can any Bundesliga fans remind me again why there was so much hate for RBL from the Bayern fans? I thought they were supposed to be BL's own version of Man City.
Competition, nouveau riche, an abomination of a club's name, unorganically grown, plastic, Dietrich Mateschitz, their smaller brother in Austria

this basically and maybe other reasons.

To clarify: I don't hate Leipzig.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayerns current rivals(Dortmund,Leipzig) just happen to operate in the wrong parts of germany to really be able to grow to Bayerns size.
And the teams that might able to challenge them are/were run badly.Hamburg and Berlin being the ones with the most potential just because of location.Those 2 could be really scary to Bayern if they found sound management.
Frankfurt has been well run the last couple of years,they are slowly discovering their potential and i hope they make the Champiosleague.If they can become regulars,they`d be in a position to easily overtake Dortmund.

Reactions: Cheimoon

JPRouve

Scout
Yes that's my point exactly.

If there was another top team in the Bundelsiga which Bayern could not buy from, their other transfer dealings would probably be seen in a much better light. After all, Barcelona buys a lot of La Liga players, Utd buys a lot of PL players, etc. But it's the fact that there are some clubs they cannot buy from, that gives more legitimacy to the leagues. And I think the only way to achieve that is with rivalries.

Of course in Bayern terms they don't need that at all, they're doing very well for themselves. But for the Bundesliga to be viewed in a better light than it currently is, I think that's what needs to happen and I doubt it ever will.
But Bayern barely buy from the teams that people see as top german teams, that's what Dortmund does on a yearly basis, Bayern seldomly purchase players from Leverkusen, Gladbach, Leipzig or Dortmund. They tend to buy the best players from the rest, from midtable teams like Hoffenheim or Stuttgart and even then it's not as common as people seem to think.

We are not talking about Serie A where Juventus or Inter focus on Serie A/B players and target any decent players whether they play for a rival or not.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I predict he'll stay there for 3 years, then tour Europe, and come back.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They don't continually leave to join Bayern. They leave to join Barcelona, City, Arsenal, PSG, Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and sometimes Bayern. And I'm not splitting hairs, if you can't recognize that we are not talking about rivals then you can't recognize the problem that the Bundesliga is facing, the problem is that Bayern doesn't have rivals and it's not due to Bayern but a far larger issue.
You raise some good points to the usual “Bayern is bad” points. There’s definitely a far larger issue at play (like the tv deal share - though I believe that’s changing soon - if it hasn’t already?) then simply criticising Bayern for ruthlessly taking advantage of their position in Germany. Especially if German players prefer not to leave the country, there’s only 1 option for them (if they want to play at the very highest level).

But I think both points could be true? Bayern weakening rivals, as much as “other far greater issues” as you’ve mentioned, all contribute to strengthening Bayern and wreaking their rivals/the competitiveness of the league? And it’s definitely true - BL players are lost to foreign clubs, more so than Bayern, but again, Bayern can only sign so many players and if they’re priced out of a move for one player, their position at times, allows them to simply wait for the next German talent to come through etc. - more often than not, it’s not a luxury a lot of other top teams have.

But as you say, it’s not really Bayern’s fault for the position they find themselves in. I’m just not really too clued up on the BL to think how they’d go about trying to address this.

nuanced

They are killing that league, theres nothing to admire about the way they keep their foot on the throat of Germany.
I know you're getting a lot of flak for this, but you're spot on. There is one thing being efficient, and there is another thing of constantly stirring up chaos at your 'rivals'. If you're almost twice as rich as the next clubs, and those next clubs are constantly in a flux in terms of league positions, I wonder if it's even appropriate to deem the other clubs to be their rivals. It's like calling Monaco a rival of PSG! When you add in the under the table shady tactics, I wonder why so many people have any kind of respect for them. Sure they're super efficient (which is great to admire), but their management are also the biggest c*nts in BL by a big margin.

Bayern's dominance in the last decade has been largely bankrolled by the regular supply of top BL talent. The grassroots movements which triggered that supply started back in the mid nineties. I don't know how good the upcoming Bundesliga talents are, but Bayern heavily depend on BL to have a strong european presence. IF that talent dries up, historically Bayern have never been competent for the world class talents which are being chased by the biggest clubs (Real, Barca, United, etc). Despite winning 2 CL's in the last decade, reaching the semis multiple times and having a long BL winning streak, they've been regularly beat by other rich clubs for their top transfer targets. I assume they're not going to be any more attractive for the biggest transfers, if they're bread butter cheap BL transfers start yielding players of poorer quality.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Are you sure you're not confusing Bayern with Dortmund there? They're much more vocal about the likes of Hoffenheim or Leipzig. Especially on the management side, Watzke has been criticizing Leipzig a lot whereas Rummenigge recently praised Leipzig's performances.

nuanced

Competition, nouveau riche, an abomination of a club's name, unorganically grown, plastic, Dietrich Mateschitz, their smaller brother in Austria

this basically and maybe other reasons.

To clarify: I don't hate Leipzig.
This. Lot of people still stuck in the romantic notions that a football team is made up of local lads, brought through the club. Richest clubs have access to the best players, which makes it more likely for them to win trophies, which means they win more sponsorship, and eventually become rich than others. It is a vicious cycle at this point of time — where only the successful clubs can have the resources to be successful in the future — designed to preserve the existing status quo and artificially limit any competition.

Football is a business. Why is it a problem if a business owner wants to invest money into their business to grow it? I find this very ironic, given all the hue and cry we saw regarding 'competition'.

nuanced

Are you sure you're not confusing Bayern with Dortmund there? They're much more vocal about the likes of Hoffenheim or Leipzig. Especially on the management side, Watzke has been criticizing Leipzig a lot whereas Rummenigge recently praised Leipzig's performances.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that a lot of the Bayern fans on the caf were very vociferous against Leipzig a few years back, which I found quite baffling.

JPRouve

Scout
You raise some good points to the usual “Bayern is bad” points. There’s definitely a far larger issue at play (like the tv deal share - though I believe that’s changing soon - if it hasn’t already?) then simply criticising Bayern for ruthlessly taking advantage of their position in Germany. Especially if German players prefer not to leave the country, there’s only 1 option for them (if they want to play at the very highest level).

But I think both points could be true? Bayern weakening rivals, as much as “other far greater issues” as you’ve mentioned, all contribute to strengthening Bayern and wreaking their rivals/the competitiveness of the league? And it’s definitely true - BL players are lost to foreign clubs, more so than Bayern, but again, Bayern can only sign so many players and if they’re priced out of a move for one player, their position at times, allows them to simply wait for the next German talent to come through etc. - more often than not, it’s not a luxury a lot of other top teams have.

But as you say, it’s not really Bayern’s fault for the position they find themselves in. I’m just not really too clued up on the BL to think how they’d go about trying to address this.
It can't be both because they don't weaken rivals, they barely purchase from them. The examples mainly used are actually speaking, Lewandowski was leaving Dortmund no matter what and the alternative for Bayern was that a world class player that could help them win the CL would have ended at an other CL competitor when they needed a striker themselves. Hummels was initially a Bayern player, do we consider that Bayern weakened a rival or strengthened it? Gotze is in my opinion the only good point, though is ridiculously cheap clause was on Dortmund but I don't think that Bayern needed him even though he was at the time seen as a generational talent which for that fee was a steal.

So if people are blaming Bayern for signing players from Hoffenheim, Werder or relegated teams then I don't really understand how we can talk about weakening rivals.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich

That's a truly weird statement.
If Bayern are too small for a potential ESL, then which teams are big enough? Real Madrid playing themselves only?
Are Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea who together won one single Champions League title big enough?
Milan won 7 CL titles but haven't played a role in European football for over 10 years. What about Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid?
Sometimes it's better to think before posting rubbish.

Teja

Potential competitors, so they must be destroyed so Bayern can win another 10 titles in a row.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Potential competitors, so they must be destroyed so Bayern can win another 10 titles in a row.
Every club hates Leipzig if I'm not mistaken. It's to do with the 50 plus 1 ownership in Bundasliga and how Leipzig are taking the piss.

Forward to 5min 15 seconds and its explained well here

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It can't be both because they don't weaken rivals, they barely purchase from them. The examples mainly used are actually speaking, Lewandowski was leaving Dortmund no matter what and the alternative for Bayern was that a world class player that could help them win the CL would have ended at an other CL competitor when they needed a striker themselves. Hummels was initially a Bayern player, do we consider that Bayern weakened a rival or strengthened it? Gotze is in my opinion the only good point, though is ridiculously cheap clause was on Dortmund but I don't think that Bayern needed him even though he was at the time seen as a generational talent which for that fee was a steal.

So if people are blaming Bayern for signing players from Hoffenheim, Werder or relegated teams then I don't really understand how we can talk about weakening rivals.
Not that I disagree with what you’re saying, but signing those players from Dortmund (for whatever reason they left), did weaken Dortmund in much the same way signing Upamecano & Nagelsmann will “probably” weaken RB. I suppose the reason these players are leaving the other clubs are a bigger reason for discussion. Can’t blame Bayern for using that to their advantage.