Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

GlasgowCeltic

feel like he could easily go the way of an AVB (ie Spurs), don’t see any of the powerhouses pulling the trigger on him

TheRedHearted

Where else would Nagelsmann go other than Spurs? Unless Klopp walks out on Liverpool that’s not opening up. Not City, not Arsenal. Chelsea seem to be committed to Potter but I suppose they may just sack him…but that just doesn’t seem likely. Real, Barca…nope. He may just have to eat crow and accept the Spurs job, unless Levy rolls the dice on Pochettino again.
Why not City? Pep could leave especially if there’s a van and if maybe they win CL.
And Chelsea aren’t stupid, they know potter is struggling and Nagelsmann would make the fans happy.

it all depends who waits to summer to appoint someone new I suppose.

Last edited:

PoTMS

Right decision for me. He's unlucky Tuchel was available otherwise he would've probably been given longer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Funnily enough Tuchel has been living in Munich for a couple of weeks. I’d guess that this has been in progress for a while

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The moment of the decision is surprising. Although Bayern is not like other years in the Bundesliga, the logical thing is to wait until the end of the season.
I imagine there would be problems in the locker room.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Brain dead decision. Small chance he would have led Bayern to another treble.

romufc

The moment of the decision is surprising. Although Bayern is not like other years in the Bundesliga, the logical thing is to wait until the end of the season.
I imagine there would be problems in the locker room.
There have been dressing room issues I think for a long while with Nagglesman. A bit weird not to give him the CL tie. Maybe they want a new manager bounce to get the CL?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
See him at Chelsea unless Potter waves his wand and wins a CL.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Don't think so. He has done nothing really noteworthy since his Hoffenheim days, last season he only won the league, but managed a horrible cup exit and a quite bad CL exit. This season they don't look convincing at all and still have the chance to win big stuff if they get this call right.

Meanwhile it was Domenico Tedesco who brought Leipzig their first cup after Nagelsmann failed to do so, which also doesn't let his time there look great.
He took them to the UCL semi final, beating A.Madrid. To equate him to Tedesco is ridiculous :lol:

The UCL exit was bad but then he quite easily beat PSG and won all their matches. Bigger clubs than Spurs will definitely be looking at him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He took them to the UCL semi final, beating A.Madrid. To equate him to Tedesco is ridiculous :lol:

The UCL exit was bad but then he quite easily beat PSG and won all their matches. Bigger clubs than Spurs will definitely be looking at him.
He didn't really equate him to Tedesco, did he? Just said Tedesco achieved what Nagelsmann couldn't. Doesn't mean he's better than Nagelsmann, it just puts Nagelsmann's achievements at Leipzig in a bit of context.

I generally agree that he hasn't really justified his hype since he left Hoffenheim. Did well with Leipzig but I expected a bit more. So far he hasn't made top teams punch above their weight like he did with Hoffenheim.

joedirt87

I guess Bayern really wanted that new manager bounce before the title decider.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He didn't really equate him to Tedesco, did he? Just said Tedesco achieved what Nagelsmann couldn't. Doesn't mean he's better than Nagelsmann, it just puts Nagelsmann's achievements at Leipzig in a bit of context.

I generally agree that he hasn't really justified his hype since he left Hoffenheim. Did well with Leipzig but I expected a bit more. So far he hasn't made top teams punch above their weight like he did with Hoffenheim.
Going to the UCL semi final isn't an achievement for a club like Leipzig? It was certainly them punching above their weight as well. Overall would you say Tedesco's term at Leipzig was better than Nagelsmann? If not, then that point is abit disengeneous.

His term at Leipzig did justify that hype and made him suitable to take over at Bayern, he hasn't been given enough time here to prove himself and ultimately it's the hubris of Bayern's board that caused his sacking, the same board that forced Flick out.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
Crazy decision. I would have rather fired half the team than Nagelsmann if there was a problem. Although, I didn't even see a problem: I was hoping that Bayern wouldn't win the Bundesliga this year and instead focus on the CL. That would have increased the reputation of the League and of Bayern, especially since no Bayern supporter gives a crap about another league title - I don't know and care anymore how many in a row they have won...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I get why Bayern get rid but I also understand, that a lot of people will not.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Going to the UCL semi final isn't an achievement for a club like Leipzig? It was certainly them punching above their weight as well. Overall would you say Tedesco's term at Leipzig was better than Nagelsmann? If not, then that point is abit disengeneous.

His term at Leipzig did justify that hype and made him suitable to take over at Bayern, he hasn't been given enough time here to prove himself and ultimately it's the hubris of Bayern's board that caused his sacking, the same board that forced Flick out.
I think it goes both ways. Of course Salihamidzic (our lord and saviour) is not up to the job and it wasn't a particularly grateful job for Nagelsmann but the team is definitely not performing as well as it should be even without the 'punch above its weight' bonus a top coach provides. And it seems he lost the dressing room as well.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I like Tuchel, but are we forgetting that Chelsea weren't exactly in a great position when he was fired? People were calling him overrated when he got sacked and now he's being painted as a manager you can't miss out on.

Maybe the truth is less that Bayern didn't want to miss out on Tuchel because he's so good but rather they never envisioned a plan with Nagelsmann beyond this season anyways and thought a decent manager like Tuchel is available right now, who might not have been in the summer, so could as well sack Nagelsmann now and get a decent replacement when available. Rather than have an issue of trying to find someone in the summer.

Grande

I get why Bayern get rid but I also understand, that a lot of people will not.
what is your take on why he goes?

Hype equals fantasy, and is mesningless to compare to. Bayern didn’t hire him based on hype. Don’t you think he punched somewhat above weight with RasenBall? CL semi, 2nd and 3rd in Bundesliga, a cup final. Win ptg 56, to Hasenhüttl (48), Rangnick (55), before him and Marsch (38) and Tedesco (52) after him. At his age, it’s quite unusual as well.

The only way to take Bayern above weight, is in CL. He ‘slipped’ on Villareal by one goal last year (tbf they were reigning EL champions), but apart from that he won six of six in both group stages, best Barca four times, Benfica twice, Inter twice and PSG twice. That’s high standards even for Bayern.

Last edited:

Strootman's Finger

Hipster manager, I hope he goes to Spurs, or even better, Liverpool next because I saw him flopping hard in the premiere league.

lex talionis

Why not City? Pep could leave especially if there’s a van and if maybe they win CL.
And Chelsea aren’t stupid, they know potter is struggling and Nagelsmann would make the fans happy.

it all depends who waits to summer to appoint someone new I suppose.
For some reason I’m pretty sure Pep isn’t leaving City, regardless if he wins or loses the CL, but if he does leave this summer that’s a possibility.

As for Chelsea, they’re a mess. But yeah, they probably do need to upgrade on Potter.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I really like Tuchel as a person. Thankful for the upside we had with him. Do not miss the possession for the sake of possession and knicking a goal to win.