Julian Nagelsmann | Sacked and replaced by Tuchel

432JuanMata

If this is true, this is one of the most ridicilous sackings I've seen in a long long time.
This is why managers getting sacked from big clubs doesn’t even affect their reputation anymore.
PSG sacked Tuchel after reaching the CL F then he went to Chelsea and won it. Look at the names Real and Chelsea have sacked.

Bayern are still in the CL and look good so the sacking is weird but it seems to happen all the time now

Vapor trail

If this is true, this is one of the most ridicilous sackings I've seen in a long long time.

They're 8 for 8 in the CL this season, 21-2 goal difference. Completely bonkers.
Is it really surprising however ? Bayern clearly have an issue with their hierarchy. That is Pep, Flick and most likely Naglesmann who have all experienced issues with the board. That's not a coincidence.

tjb

Is it really surprising however ? Bayern clearly have an issue with their hierarchy. That is Pep, Flick and most likely Naglesmann who have all experienced issues with the board. That's not a coincidence.
If you watched Bayern, you would know why they sacked him.

His systems change from week to week and they are nowhere near as dominant as they should be. They can win the UCL with Tuchel, I don't think Nagelsmann is at that level or the level people always convinced themselves that he was because of Klopp's gegenpressing.

Drz

Where else would Nagelsmann go other than Spurs? Unless Klopp walks out on Liverpool that’s not opening up. Not City, not Arsenal. Chelsea seem to be committed to Potter but I suppose they may just sack him…but that just doesn’t seem likely. Real, Barca…nope. He may just have to eat crow and accept the Spurs job, unless Levy rolls the dice on Pochettino again.
PSG?

edcunited1878

This is why managers getting sacked from big clubs doesn’t even affect their reputation anymore.
PSG sacked Tuchel after reaching the CL F then he went to Chelsea and won it. Look at the names Real and Chelsea have sacked.

Bayern are still in the CL and look good so the sacking is weird but it seems to happen all the time now
But the opposite can be true for Nagelsmann in that while Bayern are doing well in the CL so far, they are suffering a bit in their domestic league. It was the opposite for Tuchel at Chelsea...CL win, but not good enough in the league with and without the recent spending when he was manager at Chelsea. That's the good and bad of cup campaigns. Yes, you can win Big Ears, but the true reflection of a club is in their domestic season. Tuchel couldn't crack it and Chelsea still are a cup team since their last league title under Conte.

Bayern experienced enough of Nagelsmann and they obviously didn't need to see anymore. Feel like it's really unfair, but Bayern know more and most likely better for their long-term vision. Tuchel has had success in Germany and is familiar with the players currently at Bayern. He's also familiar with how Bayern have been successful and intends to tap into that and make it their foundation, similar to how he reverted Chelsea to a back 3 from Conte that helped solidify Chelsea's team shape and defense. They scored just enough goals to get results, especially in CL, but different story as I said in the league.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I’m sure there is more that meets the eye, but this came out of nowhere.

L1nk

Has to be more to this surely?

It feels like Bayern are pulling the trigger based on the idea that Nagelsmann just isn’t that good anymore because Bayern aren’t like 10 points ahead - instead of thinking maybe it’s just that the other teams got more competitive.

I mean the guy still has Bayern in for a treble this season with a 100% win ratio this season in the CL. His overall win ratio since he’s been there is 71%

Baffling decision in my opinion, guy is like 15 years younger than Tuchel and is Tuchel really that much better? Felt like they were building something… probably ends up at Chelsea or Madrid.

On the plus side some Bayern players we could be interested might be on the move - like Gravenberch - if they aren’t in Tuchel’s plans

croadyman

It's a bold move from Bayern but I suspect there's more than meets the eye with this one. I never really bought the hype with Nagelsmann but sacking a young coach when they're a point from top of the Bundesliga and still in the Champions League can't be a decision made exclusively on performance. Tuchel's a good manager but he's not the type who you rip everything up for.

Spurs should be all over Nagelsmann if they have a sniff. Better that than trying to rekindle an old flame with Pochettino, and it would be a happy medium between trying to attract a big name manager and a younger coach who can actually build towards something.
Yeah he might be able to get something out of Spurs players until the summer at least

HisNameIsEarl

Not sure about that, but it feels like a follow-up to firing Tapalovic some weeks ago. Since that, it has become evident that he has lost the cabin and players. Nagelsmann posed the question of power and now got the answer, that's at least my impression, though I don't have any sources for that.

izec

Why would he go to Spurs? If he waits until the summer, he will probably get the Real or Chelsea job

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Honestly didn't expect that. I was pretty convinced he'd get to finish the season. As with his appointment back then, I don't really know what to make of the sacking, wasn't hyped about him before he started, so I wasn't very disappointed with how things had gone up to now. This season in the CL has been overall pretty strong, last season's exit was shite. The league form was poor since after the WC, but it's far from lost. I can only imagine the new manager had several offers and Bayern needed to act immediately to get him (which sounds a lot like Tuchel).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is a bizarre sacking.

The only reasoning behind it has to be that Bayern has been a hint weaker in the Bundesliga this season than previous years. They also lost the best striker on the planet for those previous years in Lewandowski.

But that cant be it, can it? It has to be a problem with Nagelsmann and either the hierarchy, the squad, or the hierarchy simply decuded that Tuchel is a significantly better manager than Nagelsmann and decided to shaft him.

I dont think Nagelsmann have made Bayern worse, or better. Bayern has been Bayern.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why would he go to Spurs? If he waits until the summer, he will probably get the Real or Chelsea job
Don't think so. He has done nothing really noteworthy since his Hoffenheim days, last season he only won the league, but managed a horrible cup exit and a quite bad CL exit. This season they don't look convincing at all and still have the chance to win big stuff if they get this call right.

Meanwhile it was Domenico Tedesco who brought Leipzig their first cup after Nagelsmann failed to do so, which also doesn't let his time there look great.

Pronewbie

Peep
It's over.
Don't think so. He has done nothing really noteworthy since his Hoffenheim days, last season he only won the league, but managed a horrible cup exit and a quite bad CL exit. This season they don't look convincing at all and still have the chance to win big stuff if they get this call right.

Meanwhile it was Domenico Tedesco who brought Leipzig their first cup after Nagelsmann failed to do so, which also doesn't let his time there look great.
Sounds like the perfect Spurs manager. I hope he goes to Chelsea though.

Grande

I’ve only seen two Bayern games this year (Union Berlin 3-0 and PSG 2-0), but from that and results it seems insane.

Won every game in the CL. Won every game in the DFB cup and Super cup (at a canter). One point off the Bundesliga top, having conceded the least and comfortably scored the most of all. 125 goals scored In all tournaments in March!

CL tough games: Inter 2-0 and 2-0. Barca 2-0 and 3-0. PSG 1-0 and 2-0.

For a first season, that looks pretty impressive for a team where CL and winning all trophies is top priorities. Last year they went out in DFB cup in second round and to Villarreal (ed) in CL, but won the league.

Last edited:

backpass

I think he started internal power games. As someone wrote above, the dismantling of Neuer was never ok, ridiculous treatment of an all time great for Bayern.
On top recently internal information got leaked and he went a bit unprofessionell about it. He also tried to dismantle Müller and didint want to start him anymore, all fine but the overall gameplay and results got worse and the players confronted him about it.
Additional they started " suddenly" to apply a catalogue of penalties again. While certainly the attitude of some players is not ok, to start that after many years shows something was going really wrong.
And at last, lets be honest, in the last 3 months football was really dire, while results were still somehow ok, the quality of the gameplay was not. I bet most assumed Bayern would drop out vs PSG in the Championsleague and Tuchel was certainly already contacted before that second game. Now the question was only to follow through and look a bit overreactive or continue when you pretty much closed the chapter already. Loss to Leverkusen was then the chance to trigger everything.

Reactions: Cheimoon

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think he started internal power games. As someone wrote above, the dismantling of Neuer was never ok, ridiculous treatment of an all time great for Bayern.
Neuer wasn't dismantled by Nagelsmann, he got himself a severe injury in his free time and Salihamidzic got a replacement.

Then it became very apparent that Tapalovic is more like Neuer's personal coach than truly a coach for all of Bayern's goalkeepers and this isn't acceptable if Neuer can't play.

Neuer bitching about this is what got him into trouble, but it is a pretty logical and straightforward decision to replace Neuer for now (and potentially for longer, depending on how strong Neuer returns).

Actually that situation should have stengthened Nagelsmann's position as they signed a GK coach who worked with him in Hoffenheim before.

backpass

I do not agree, if you have a very close group of leaders in your team. You dont get at one like that. Get a replacment and make sure everything is nice and clear. I dont think it was. And I bet that was what cost him the important players.

Grande

Not sure about that, but it feels like a follow-up to firing Tapalovic some weeks ago. Since that, it has become evident that he has lost the cabin and players. Nagelsmann posed the question of power and now got the answer, that's at least my impression, though I don't have any sources for that.
What was this about?

Grande

On top recently internal information got leaked and he went a bit unprofessionell about it. He also tried to dismantle Müller and didint want to start him anymore, all fine but the overall gameplay and results got worse and the players confronted him about it.
Additional they started " suddenly" to apply a catalogue of penalties again. While certainly the attitude of some players is not ok, to start that after many years shows something was going really wrong.
And at last, lets be honest, in the last 3 months football was really dire, while results were still somehow ok, the quality of the gameplay was not. I bet most assumed Bayern would drop out vs PSG in the Championsleague and Tuchel was certainly already contacted before that second game. Now the question was only to follow through and look a bit overreactive or continue when you pretty much closed the chapter already. Loss to Leverkusen was then the chance to trigger everything.
Catalogue of penalties, is that like Ten Hag, Van Gaal and Guardiola has?

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Maybe it’s something that happened behind the scenes, which led to his firing?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
"Nagelsmann has won 60 of his 84 games in charge since taking over in July 2021 but has lifted just one Bundesliga trophy and two German Super Cups across his tenure"

The above is a quote from the skysports UK website.

...but he has only lifted one bundesliga trophy.....

Yeah the only one that he was able to you journalistic hack dick heads. He's not finished his second season.

God I hate Sky so much
:lol:

How could he only win 3 trophies after one full season and the other not yet concluded. Awful haul

izec

Real wanted him when he was at Leipzig going by reports. Nothing has changed to put them off. He can and should do better than Spurs. That is desperation

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s rank how the media works with stuff like this. Obviously twitter doesn’t help but rumours flying about that he is hearing about his sacking online before the club does anything ffs.