Julian Weigl

He'sRaldo

What? Where do you think Witsel is playing?
From what I've watched, Witsel plays in a double pivot, while Weigl seems most comfortable as the 6 in a midfield 3. Different positions no?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
From what I've watched, Witsel plays in a double pivot, while Weigl seems most comfortable as the 6 in a midfield 3. Different positions no?

I don't think there is a huge difference. Both Weigl 15/16 and Witsel 18/19 were the players sitting in front of the defense and Tuchel actually used a 4231 (on paper) a lot himself.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Weigl is very good at vertical short passes. As a 6 in a 1-2 midfield you simply have more passing options in the middle.

NoLogo

If we plan playing 4-3-3 next season he is worth a punt. Doesn't seem to be in Favré's plans in that double pivot of his but having him as an alternative to Matic probably couldn't hurt, even though I would prefer a faster and more agile player, you know some real alternative to that tanker Matic.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think he needs to take a step down and get his mojo back before he can go to a top club. He's been playing CB, hasn't he?

davidmichael

Think he needs to take a step down and get his mojo back before he can go to a top club. He's been playing CB, hasn't he?
Maybe he does but he’s exactly the type of signing we should make. Young, point to prove, potential to get better, fits our tactics and plays in a position we need to upgrade on and surely he’s better than Matic.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How good is he really though? He's struggling for game time at Dortmund, and with such a modest pricetag, you would've thought he'd be snapped up already.

Red_toad

Maybe he does but he’s exactly the type of signing we should make. Young, point to prove, potential to get better, fits our tactics and plays in a position we need to upgrade on and surely he’s better than Matic.
Hasn't really been the same player since surgery in 2017, so maybe he's not going to be better than Matic. Maybe he has certain issues that haven't been fully disclosed. Who knows maybe a Dortmund fan can update. But outside looking in, we'd be best off avoiding.
Matic is fine as long as he's not over played, which he constantly is, as we've no cover for him...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not even sure he is, Matic isnt going to get us where we need to go, but he's not shit. This guy doesn't even get game time in his position, I'd rather play McSauce there.

Eric's Seagull

Nick7

We should get a player who hasn't had a good game in midfield since 2017? Why exactly? Because he was highly rated back then?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Worth a shot at that price. He was tremendously good under Tuchel and from what I see Ole wants to play a similar mixture of pressing high, controlling the ball and work with fast paced counter attacking players.
Weigl is great at the ball and was fantastic at starting attacks from the defensive mid.

He'sRaldo

Very good from the friendlies I watched recently, would still be a good buy. I reckon Favre will soon start integrating him and his price will shoot up. Favre played a 433 in the friendlies so perhaps Weigl will have a bigger role this coming season. Hopefully not though, would love to snap him up for cheap.

L1nk

It seems he may be on his way to Benfica for €15-20mill euros, it's likely there may be some truth in the Gedson Fernandes rumours, however, I'd still gladly take a punt on this guy for 15-20 mill

meamth

It seems he may be on his way to Benfica for €15-20mill euros, it's likely there may be some truth in the Gedson Fernandes rumours, however, I'd still gladly take a punt on this guy for 15-20 mill
Haven't heard of him for years, did he reach his potential?

L1nk

Safe to say no, he hasn't really pushed on since 2017, but he still is only 24 and I think at another club he could fulfil his potential. For like just over 10mill pounds I think it's worth a punt, Benfica seen to at least

On his day he's very much Carrick like

Red_toad

Safe to say no, he hasn't really pushed on since 2017, but he still is only 24 and I think at another club he could fulfil his potential. For like just over 10mill pounds I think it's worth a punt, Benfica seen to at least

On his day he's very much Carrick like
If he’s wasn’t hitting his potential at the club he made his name at, then he’s not going to suddenly take off in Portugal and become a superstar. He regressed after a few bad injuries and hasn’t kicked on since then.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think his main problem is athleticism, he's got very clean technique/first touch, a good passing range and good football mind, I think over the years he even developed significantly in terms of work rate/aggression, but he's too slow and lanky to really impose himself on a tight game. Very good for a squad player, but not good enough to be a starter.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think his main problem is athleticism, he's got very clean technique/first touch, a good passing range and good football mind, I think over the years he even developed significantly in terms of work rate/aggression, but he's too slow and lanky to really impose himself on a tight game. Very good for a squad player, but not good enough to be a starter.
Being constantly played at CB didn't help that development as well.

I'm gutwrenched seeing him move for so low and also outside the BL. Had such big hopes for him when he came through, imagined a future midfield of Weigl-Kimmich-Dahoud.

I thought he was beginning to do really well lately after he was moved back to CM. His passing and compusure in the center helps Dortmund keep the ball, his lack of speed was bring exposed more when he was playing as a CB.

I hope he continues to play for Dortmund and starts playing well for longer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Being constantly played at CB didn't help that development as well.

I'm gutwrenched seeing him move for so low and also outside the BL. Had such big hopes for him when he came through, imagined a future midfield of Weigl-Kimmich-Dahoud.

I thought he was beginning to do really well lately after he was moved back to CM. His passing and compusure in the center helps Dortmund keep the ball, his lack of speed was bring exposed more when he was playing as a CB.

I hope he continues to play for Dortmund and starts playing well for longer.
The truth is that Witsel's signing spelled the end for Weigl at Dortmund, as he's simply on another level. After that it was either helping out at CB or a spot on the bench for Weigl. I don't think it hurt him to play there, as he was able to prove he can be a solid player there and to some coaches it can be extremely valuable to have someone who allows the team to switch between back 3 and back 4 without using a substitution.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
From what I've seen of him, his technical ability and reading of the game aren't elite enough to make up for his lack of pace, strength, and agility. Underwhelming player every time I have seen him play after Tuschel left. Decent squad player.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The truth is that Witsel's signing spelled the end for Weigl at Dortmund, as he's simply on another level. After that it was either helping out at CB or a spot on the bench for Weigl. I don't think it hurt him to play there, as he was able to prove he can be a solid player there and to some coaches it can be extremely valuable to have someone who allows the team to switch between back 3 and back 4 without using a substitution.
Oh well the transfer is confirmed now.

Both Dahoud and Weigl have been underwhelming these last two seasons, though I liked how Weigl was playing lately. Biggest disappointment for me as I thought those two were set to become great players. Weigl can look to the injury problems he had after his first season but Dahoud, who I also think is rumored to leave, has just not stepped up from his performances at Gladbach.

With Delaney out for a while, won't Dortmund be light on defensive midfielders? I can only count Brandt, Witsel and Dahoud right now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh well the transfer is confirmed now.

Both Dahoud and Weigl have been underwhelming these last two seasons, though I liked how Weigl was playing lately. Biggest disappointment for me as I thought those two were set to become great players. Weigl can look to the injury problems he had after his first season but Dahoud, who I also think is rumored to leave, has just not stepped up from his performances at Gladbach.

With Delaney out for a while, won't Dortmund be light on defensive midfielders? I can only count Brandt, Witsel and Dahoud right now.
Delaney should return soon-ish, Balerdi can supposedly move up into midfield (not sure how likely that is) and there is also Tobias Raschl, who is supposed to be quite talented.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Another one of those famous Dortmund developments!

Thiagoal

Weigl really highlights the risk involved when potentially signing a promising young player after one break out season! If the Caf had their way he’d have signed for 50m plus a few years ago as he was considered the second coming of Lothar Mattheus!

Felix and Renato Sanches are two examples where a lot of money was spent on the potential yet they’re looking far from worth it (at the minute)