June internationals (WC qualifiers and Nations League)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Guess what, ours won’t be neither, that’s England problem let’s worry with us.
I watch more then just Portugal. But yes our group is more difficult. However that has nothing to do with this post

Idxomer

Didn't know before that 15 of Kane's international goals are penalties, his record is very flattering to his actual performances with England.

George The Best

Well at least they get to go on their holidays now to overcome their fatigue - probably get their second wind to go rocking in the nightclubs at 3 a.m.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I watch more then just Portugal. But yes our group is more difficult. However that has nothing to do with this post
In the first place is debatable that ours is more difficult and no one is telling me what to say here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Brazil and Argentina are unknowns for me as I just don't follow south american nationals enough. Work with a Brazilian guy though who thinks neither have much of a hope against the best in Europe for the World Cup this year. Not a talent problem, but a coaching problem as always.

For me, my top 3 are:
  1. Germany
  2. Spain
  3. Netherlands
They have the best coaches and are coached to play football, not park the bus, and all 3 have very good squads.

The next tier after them would be your traditional heavy weights who have great players but don't really have a set system, so you are relying on individual ability. That won't be enough against great players with a system.

Reiver

Having watched Armenia twice within a week, I'd say they could even teach Mourinho something about shit housery.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
In the first place is debatable that ours is more difficult and no one is telling me what to say here.
Nobody is telling you what to do nor do I care enough to do so. Read before you comment please. Avoids smart remarks.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Looking back at the German goals, a few of them were a bit lucky in terms of the finishes. Kimmich Werner and Muller's goals mostly came with Donnaruma moving very early and therefore making the finishes easier. Had Donnaruma stayed on his feet longer he would've saved all three I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brazil and Argentina are unknowns for me as I just don't follow south american nationals enough. Work with a Brazilian guy though who thinks neither have much of a hope against the best in Europe for the World Cup this year. Not a talent problem, but a coaching problem as always.

For me, my top 3 are:
  1. Germany
  2. Spain
  3. Netherlands
They have the best coaches and are coached to play football, not park the bus, and all 3 have very good squads.

The next tier after them would be your traditional heavy weights who have great players but don't really have a set system, so you are relying on individual ability. That won't be enough against great players with a system.
Dutch squad is nowhere near what Brazil have. I'd be amazed if they get further than Brazil at world cup.

Brazil imo have strongest spine going into this tournament. Allison-Thiago Silva (world cup being played early season will help as he'll be much fresher to play every 3-4 days)- Casemiro- Vinicius (who's now becoming decisive in major games for Madrid)- Neymar.

Can also throw on likes of Antony, Rodrygo and perhaps Raphinha off the bench aswell.

France still have very good squad in most positions but does feel like they've been underwhelming for last 12 months so wouldn't be huge shock if they have another Swiss type exit before SF.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Dutch squad is nowhere near what Brazil have. I'd be amazed if they get further than Brazil at world cup.

Brazil imo have strongest spine going into this tournament. Allison-Thiago Silva (world cup being played early season will help as he'll be much fresher to play every 3-4 days)- Casemiro- Vinicius (who's now becoming decisive in major games for Madrid)- Neymar.

Can also throw on likes of Antony, Rodrygo and perhaps Raphinha off the bench aswell.

France still have very good squad in most positions but does feel like they've been underwhelming for last 12 months so wouldn't be huge shock if they have another Swiss type exit before SF.
France have an unreal squad but a terrible manager.

Basically France are what England fans think they are.

I disagree with the Brazilian guy in the post you quoted too. I think Argentina can definitely mix it with the top European teams and they don't have a coaching issue. This is the first time in a while they've actually had a solid coach and the first time in even longer where they've actually had a quality defence. It was only like a week ago they destroyed the current European champions after all.

bosnian_red

France and Brazil I toss in with England and Portugal. Great groups of players. Turds as coaches who are stale and will come undone against progressive coaches. Brazil TBF I'm lumping there based on what my Brazilian friend says, though it's the impression I had anyway.

Good coaches are a rarity at international level, and they always make their make when they are there. That's why I think Netherlands will do well. And they've got a very well balanced team including the best CB collection in the world, so I wouldn't underrated them.

Abraxas

Have you factored in some Louis van Haal tournament magic? I don't know who manages Brazil but his philosophy and intelligence is probably not nearly as good.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
France and Brazil I toss in with England and Portugal. Great groups of players. Turds as coaches who are stale and will come undone against progressive coaches. Brazil TBF I'm lumping there based on what my Brazilian friend says, though it's the impression I had anyway.

Good coaches are a rarity at international level, and they always make their make when they are there. That's why I think Netherlands will do well. And they've got a very well balanced team including the best CB collection in the world, so I wouldn't underrated them.
Any idea what's happened to Botman? Injured or is Van Gaal not sure on him yet?

Of course Holland have quality but not much depth when you see Bruno Martins Indi and Victor Jansson starting tonight so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax

Of course Holland have quality but not much depth when you see Bruno Martins Indi and Victor Jansson starting tonight so I wouldn't get too excited yet.
Botman just isn't an option I believe. Should obviously be ahead of Martins Indi though, but I'm also not convinced of Botman. In the end I think neither will go to the WC. With De Ligt, Timber, De Vrij, VVD and Ake we have 5 solid CBs already and Blind can also play there.

Janssen was tested tonight and actually did quite well. No one understood why he was invited though. Obviously the attack is our major area of concern. No true world class players there, although Depay and Bergwijn have been really good there for us lately.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax

For me, my top 3 are:
  1. Germany
  2. Spain
  3. Netherlands

We are not a top 3 favorite by any means. I do believe we are an outsider because we have a lot of quality at the back, a top class midfielder and a world class coach. If anyone can make something off it it's LVG. But we need all the luck in the world and the WC being in november probably isnt in our favor. This might be one WC where the best players actually are all in great form, since they are not all fatigued yet. That could make a great WC, but does not present the best chances for countries with less talent.

Spain really seem to be picking up things again. After their 2008-2012 run they've had some poor tournaments and had difficulty transitioning to a new teams. It does seem like they're getting there now though.

The same can be said for Argentina, after all these years they finally seem like a proper team instead of just Messi and 10 others. There were times where Messi had more talent around him and he was better himself as well, but their football was awful. These days they seem to play as a team instead of giving Messi the ball and then watch what he's going to do with it. Although he did make the WC final in 2014, I feel like this could be his best chance to win it (judging prior to a WC).

These two seem the favorites to me and based on talent you have to include France too - although I don't think it would surprise anyone if they had another implosion again. Nevertheless, I regard them as one the top favorites.

All other usual suspects are the outsiders, including England and Belgium, who are not favorites anymore. In that respect I think a lot is possible. From 2012-2018 I felt like there were always 3 of Spain, France, Belgium and Germany that stood out as favorites for the tournaments (EC/WC) and it seemed they were quite a bit ahead of the rest. I think it's much closer now between those top favorites and the outsiders. As mentioned at this point I see Spain, France and Argentina as the favorites, but they're not that much ahead of 5/6 other contenders.

The other side of the card is that I don't see a Croatia/Uruguay/Senegal type of suprise for this WC, because I think too many world class players will be in top form and that limits the chances for countries with less talent. I also think there isn't really a Croatia or Uruguay type of smaller nation that has a specially talented squad. Although Senegal might be a shout with Mane and Koulibaly.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Batman (and Geertruida, Brobbey) were namechecked by LVG, but sent to the U21's because they still had to qualify.

LVG has a fetish for left footed CBs. I have no clue what he sees in Bruno that the rest of the world does not.
We have better options, it's just an obsession of his. He's trying to reinvent the wheel with Vincent Janssen as well. We have 5-10 better players that could play there, but they don't fit LVG's profile.

Robindinho

Southgate acting like he's played the kids and that's the reason why he failed. No mate, it's because you're clueless as feck.
Caught that. Unfair to judge apparently because he couldn't play his best team in all 4 games.

Can't expect to beat Hungary unless Rice and Maguire had started over Guéhi and Gallagher. :rolleyes:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
France have an unreal squad but a terrible manager.

Basically France are what England fans think they are.

I disagree with the Brazilian guy in the post you quoted too. I think Argentina can definitely mix it with the top European teams and they don't have a coaching issue. This is the first time in a while they've actually had a solid coach and the first time in even longer where they've actually had a quality defence. It was only like a week ago they destroyed the current European champions after all.
France doesn't have an unreal squad outside of the Starting XI and a few subs.

Deschamps tried in these games many of these "unreal" players people are claiming, and except for Nkunku, they have been underwhelming for France.

Can't blame Deschamps for picking the WC winners to November...after watching the newbie "unreal" players in these Nations League games.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Woah, I probably should have watched tonight's games, the Italy and England game seems to have been fun.
Hungary seems to have managed to actually get a nice team going on, also its strange seeing Germany beat Italy by such a score margin.

bosnian_red

We are not a top 3 favorite by any means. I do believe we are an outsider because we have a lot of quality at the back, a top class midfielder and a world class coach. If anyone can make something off it it's LVG. But we need all the luck in the world and the WC being in november probably isnt in our favor. This might be one WC where the best players actually are all in great form, since they are not all fatigued yet. That could make a great WC, but does not present the best chances for countries with less talent.

Spain really seem to be picking up things again. After their 2008-2012 run they've had some poor tournaments and had difficulty transitioning to a new teams. It does seem like they're getting there now though.

The same can be said for Argentina, after all these years they finally seem like a proper team instead of just Messi and 10 others. There were times where Messi had more talent around him and he was better himself as well, but their football was awful. These days they seem to play as a team instead of giving Messi the ball and then watch what he's going to do with it. Although he did make the WC final in 2014, I feel like this could be his best chance to win it (judging prior to a WC).

These two seem the favorites to me and based on talent you have to include France too - although I don't think it would surprise anyone if they had another implosion again. Nevertheless, I regard them as one the top favorites.

All other usual suspects are the outsiders, including England and Belgium, who are not favorites anymore. In that respect I think a lot is possible. From 2012-2018 I felt like there were always 3 of Spain, France, Belgium and Germany that stood out as favorites for the tournaments (EC/WC) and it seemed they were quite a bit ahead of the rest. I think it's much closer now between those top favorites and the outsiders. As mentioned at this point I see Spain, France and Argentina as the favorites, but they're not that much ahead of 5/6 other contenders.

The other side of the card is that I don't see a Croatia/Uruguay/Senegal type of suprise for this WC, because I think too many world class players will be in top form and that limits the chances for countries with less talent. I also think there isn't really a Croatia or Uruguay type of smaller nation that has a specially talented squad. Although Senegal might be a shout with Mane and Koulibaly.
Not sure how you wouldn't have Germany among the current favourites! An excellent squad and Flick as the manager. They're easily my #1. Spain I agree #2, though I do feel like they're lack of cutting edge might hold them back again.

I disagree with Netherlands. They have enough quality to surround some genuine world class pieces and a coach that is leagues ahead of all but 2-3 other coaches in the world Cup. That goes a long way. They're 3rd for me, but at worst I'd have them 5th.. don't think all the luck in the world is needed at all. You have the quality, just luck in terms of fitness for key players IMO. Argentina i cant speak too much for, heard a bit of both things for them, but we'll see. Same for Brazil. I'd put them 4/5 just because of that.

France have the players but don't have a system nor belief in the coach. It's like Low in the last few tournaments. It's a situation where they will flop until he's replaced IMO. Portugal the same, England the same. Great squads, no system, no belief.

The best chance for a dark horse run is Denmark again. They play great football, have a decent squad, a very good coach, great team atmosphere.

But basically .. there are 3 CL winning managers in the world Cup, all in charges of quality groups of players, up against a bunch of nobodies as managers. It has a big impact. I'd always put my money on the best coaches if they have the squad quality to compete, which imo they do.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
It should be added - after Norway qualified for the U21 Euro in Romania/Georgia next summer - both Erling Haaland and Marcus H Pedersen could play for Norway :) Unfortunately Leo Østigård and Jens P Hauge are just a few months too old.

I consider Norway to be one of the favourites, we really have a special group of players coming through now.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Not sure how you wouldn't have Germany among the current favourites! An excellent squad and Flick as the manager. They're easily my #1. Spain I agree #2, though I do feel like they're lack of cutting edge might hold them back again.

I disagree with Netherlands. They have enough quality to surround some genuine world class pieces and a coach that is leagues ahead of all but 2-3 other coaches in the world Cup. That goes a long way. They're 3rd for me, but at worst I'd have them 5th.. don't think all the luck in the world is needed at all. You have the quality, just luck in terms of fitness for key players IMO. Argentina i cant speak too much for, heard a bit of both things for them, but we'll see. Same for Brazil. I'd put them 4/5 just because of that.

France have the players but don't have a system nor belief in the coach. It's like Low in the last few tournaments. It's a situation where they will flop until he's replaced IMO. Portugal the same, England the same. Great squads, no system, no belief.

The best chance for a dark horse run is Denmark again. They play great football, have a decent squad, a very good coach, great team atmosphere.

But basically .. there are 3 CL winning managers in the world Cup, all in charges of quality groups of players, up against a bunch of nobodies as managers. It has a big impact. I'd always put my money on the best coaches if they have the squad quality to compete, which imo they do.
I actually give Germany probably the least chances of even all the 'usual suspect outsiders' (NL, POR, ENG, BEL, BRA, no specific order). Does not mean that I think they are the worst of this group by the way. I think they have more quality than Netherlands for example, but they have all the pressure whereas we don't. Pressure doesn't help when you don't really have quality/confidence to back it up. That's why I feel like Germany could be headed for another failure.

I think Germany are in the same space as where Spain was in the last few tournaments. They've been in transition from the great team they had until a few years ago and in my opinion they haven't quite got there. The other day they couldn't beat Hungary and Germany was complaining about how they don't have any strikers. Then they go on to demolish Italy and score 5 goals, but so far if you ask me that's a one off. I have never been that impressed with players like Werner or Havertz and Sane has not become the great player he looked like he was headed to. Their attack has potential with Sane and Gnabry, but they are not consistent, and I don't think their defense or midfield is world class anymore. Neuer is still a top class goalkeeper, but other than that a declining Kroos and Mueller are possibly still their best players (alongside Kimmich). I'm sure they will be back, but I don't think they're there yet. They are in a tough group as well, I would not even be surprised if Japan upset them in the group stage. If they get through, I think they will go to QF max.

Furthermore I can see what you're saying about coaches. We definitely have one of the best coaches in the world and in my opinion the best coach at the WC, which could make a difference. But lacking offensive quality could really cost us. If you don't have top quality in attack in my book you're never a favorite. Of course you can still win, but I think there's just less chances. For example, if we go behind against a quality team that can go defensive on us, I don't see how we are suppose to repair that. In these situations you generally need pure attacking quality to make the difference and we don't have that. Of course once you get further into the tournament, the chance that you go behind at some point against a quality team get much bigger. That's why I don't see us as one of the favorites.

However with our team, Van Gaal as a coach and not having the pressure on us (especially in the later stages), this puts us in a decent outsider position and I'm sure the true favorites don't really fancy playing us. In the end I think we have decent chances against any opposition. Only against France I think we would be a huge underdog since their boring defensive counterattacking football really doesn't suit our team. We're likely to go behind against them in a counterattack and then being unable to repair. Other teams we can all beat I think, but we won't be a favorite and beating 2 or 3 teams of them will be very hard.

I agree with you on Denmark. They could be that one dark horse (along with Senegal), but still think the dark horse chances are smaller this WC because the top nations will have top players available that are not all completely fatigued from the season. Nevertheless a QF is always possible. Don't see much past that for any dark horse.

Ramos

Important to look at the draw too and it's wide open for the Dutch. They're in Qatar's group which is an advantage because despite being unseeded there's no real big team in that group. They're also in the top half which means no Germany, Spain, Brazil, Portugal or Belgium (or even some of the trickier dark horses like Uruguay, Croatia or Switzerland) until the semi's. And their group is adjacent to England's group, so if they manage to just avoid each other they would end up in a R16 against the US, Wales or Iran. Very doable.

antk

Important to look at the draw too and it's wide open for the Dutch. They're in Qatar's group which is an advantage because despite being unseeded there's no real big team in that group. They're also in the top half which means no Germany, Spain, Brazil, Portugal or Belgium (or even some of the trickier dark horses like Uruguay, Croatia or Switzerland) until the semi's. And their group is adjacent to England's group, so if they manage to just avoid each other they would end up in a R16 against the US, Wales or Iran. Very doable.
Doesn't mean much when that depends on your group position. Any of the big guns could possibly qualify second in their group, as it happens in every WC.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I actually give Germany probably the least chances of even all the 'usual suspect outsiders' (NL, POR, ENG, BEL, BRA, no specific order). Does not mean that I think they are the worst of this group by the way. I think they have more quality than Netherlands for example, but they have all the pressure whereas we don't. Pressure doesn't help when you don't really have quality/confidence to back it up. That's why I feel like Germany could be headed for another failure.

I think Germany are in the same space as where Spain was in the last few tournaments. They've been in transition from the great team they had until a few years ago and in my opinion they haven't quite got there. The other day they couldn't beat Hungary and Germany was complaining about how they don't have any strikers. Then they go on to demolish Italy and score 5 goals, but so far if you ask me that's a one off. I have never been that impressed with players like Werner or Havertz and Sane has not become the great player he looked like he was headed to. Their attack has potential with Sane and Gnabry, but they are not consistent, and I don't think their defense or midfield is world class anymore. Neuer is still a top class goalkeeper, but other than that a declining Kroos and Mueller are possibly still their best players (alongside Kimmich). I'm sure they will be back, but I don't think they're there yet. They are in a tough group as well, I would not even be surprised if Japan upset them in the group stage. If they get through, I think they will go to QF max.
If you're struggling to convert your quality into chances or goals you'll always be at a real risk of getting beaten by solid defensive sides, so there's a real chance of an upset. But I don't get your pressure argument at all. Most of the starters are playing for Bayern, Rüdiger is playing for Real, Havertz delivered in a CL final, they were playing every game with Flick under the demand to win it. There are plenty of vocal players who have won it all and hopefully can provide guidance to the younger ones. Arguably if it's a factor at all it should actually be on the pro side, since every side, bar the minnows, will feel the pressure at some point during a WC.
I think aside from luck it will just boil down to how many players will get near their peak level for their tournament. But I think you can see what Flick wants to do and how it can work.

Last edited:

Ramos

Doesn't mean much when that depends on your group position. Any of the big guns could possibly qualify second in their group, as it happens in every WC.
Read on though. They only cross paths until the semi's. For the top half teams it doesn't matter where the big guns in the lower half finish in their groups. We already know they can't meet them until the semi's.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
France doesn't have an unreal squad outside of the Starting XI and a few subs.

Deschamps tried in these games many of these "unreal" players people are claiming, and except for Nkunku, they have been underwhelming for France.

Can't blame Deschamps for picking the WC winners to November...after watching the newbie "unreal" players in these Nations League games.
I mean, a group of 13-14 or so players that you'd consider "unreal" sounds like a fantastic squad to me personally.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Belgium took the knee against Poland at home last week and beat them 6-1.

Stop with this bs please.
Tbf this isn’t really doing anything anymore. No one’s taking any notice. The place where it started isn’t doing it and long moved on (for better or worse). At this point we should have something else in place to raise awareness.

Ramos

Tbf this isn’t really doing anything anymore. No one’s taking any notice. The place where it started isn’t doing it and long moved on (for better or worse). At this point we should have something else in place to raise awareness.
Maybe. Just wanted to counter the "nobody else does it" and the "it motivates the opponent" arguments.

Paul_Scholes18

So my rating of teams chances to go far in the world cup after nations league.

1 Brazil, 2 Argentina, 3 Germany 4 France 5 England 6 Spain 7 Netherlands 8 Portugal 9 Denmark 10 Belgium.

Mostly have Brazil and Argentina so high since not watching them, but they have good squads.

England still high on potential with the squad they have, but I had them top 3 before nations league.

Netherlands I have higher than before, but still think they lack attacking quality. Same with Spain, but they are very hard sides to beat.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ha, you get that line prepared from the last game, I see.
We will gladly support you in the WC (as usual).
Is that really a thing in Italy? I can't tell if you're being serious.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I mean, a group of 13-14 or so players that you'd consider "unreal" sounds like a fantastic squad to me personally.
Except for Camavinga, he tried new talents, they didn't show up for these games, only Nkunku did.
You can't blame him for not trying new players, blame those players for not showing up.

People ask for Dembélé because of his talent , but he has been meh for France most of the time. France won 2018 WC as soon as he got benched for Giroud after that his very poor game against Australia.

Better player doesn't make better team, PES/FIFA/Football Manager isn't real life.

France has a great XI (which Deschamps didn't use in the nation league games to try ghe new "unreal" talents) and a few good subs, it's ok that's enough to win the WC, you don't need 3 players per position.

All it takes for France midfield to look dysfunctional was Pogba to get injured, and the ones that replaced him didn't deliver.