Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

I don't think the compensating mentality is serving us very well.

Maybe we can get away with Maguire not being able to run. Maybe we can get away with Timber being short. Meanwhile, Liverpool have 3 centre backs who are quick, can defend 1v1, are good on the ball and dominant in the air. They didn't have to compensate for major weaknesses. We don't have to either, we're just choosing to with the players we sign.
This is why I think it could be a mistake. Looking at City and Liverpool, they don't have starting CB's with major weaknesses. Finding players with all of the correct attributes won't be easy/cheap, but they have to be out there.

Guapa

Looks a player.Be good at right back but would have concerns if we intend on playing him at centre half.

Kostov

Stylistically City are probably the more relevant comparison for the type of defence we're looking to build rather than Liverpool. I wouldn't have said the likes of Laporte, Stones and Dias are quite as imposing as the Liverpool CBs, yet they have the better defence nonetheless.
You are probably right about style, but City's CB's are much more physical than this kid seems to be, however I've not watched him play very often. But I do think that Liverpools' defense is better than that of City's and a physical freak like VVD certainly helps their cause.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why so many talking about his height?
I mean, he is still young isn’t it? Maybe he could grow another inch or 2 in future?

Kaos

I mean, he is still young isn’t it? Maybe he could grow another inch or 2 in future?
An inch or 2 isn't going to be the difference between him being an aerial monster or completely useless. It just typifies everyone overreacting to his height.

Bojan Djordjic

Absolutely. But the point of bringing ETH in is to turn us into exactly that Ajax/City style side. And when you're making transfers you buy players who suit the side you're trying to turn into, not the side you're trying to stop being.

I don't think anyone would argue that midfield isn't more of a priority but we have multiple positions that need strengthening. And if (as reported) Bailly and Jones are looking to leave then CB is certainly one of them. With RB also an area of concern, signing Timber makes sense from a squad composition POV as it kills two birds with one stone.
My fear is that people are talking about him costing >£50mn and that’s just too much for a player with so many question marks (will his height be a major handicap, can he play right back at the standard we require? is he going to start?) and whose transfer could essentially block us from paying top dollar for really high quality midfielders or strikers.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
You guys bought an amazing player and talent. He is great.

red_de_pologne

People are quick to doubt Ten Hag, he obviously has an idea how to use him. If you can be bothered look at Timber's stats at least, they're unreal.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Henderson would easily sell for 40m. AWB 20m, Bailey 15, Tzunzabe 15.

Or is it only Chelsea and Pool who can get that kind of money for fringe players? Look what Arsenal paid for a keeper and centre back last summer, very similar quality wise to the above.

We got 26m for Dan James last summer or have you all forgotten that.
What has Henderson done in the last 12 months to be one of the most expensive goalkeepers of all time? I think even 20m would be a reach. The players Arsenal signed actually played games, you can’t compare Tuanzebe and Henderson to that.

Dominos

Absolutely. But the point of bringing ETH in is to turn us into exactly that Ajax/City style side. And when you're making transfers you buy players who suit the side you're trying to turn into, not the side you're trying to stop being.

I don't think anyone would argue that midfield isn't more of a priority but we have multiple positions that need strengthening. And if (as reported) Bailly and Jones are looking to leave then CB is certainly one of them. With RB also an area of concern, signing Timber makes sense from a squad composition POV as it kills two birds with one stone.
The point is it's not a choice between a short CB who is good on the ball vs a tall CB who is poor on the ball.

You can have the best of both worlds, City do, Liverpool do. You don't have to compromise and look to compensate for major weaknesses in a players attributes, we're just choosing to compensate with our choice in signings. We did the same with Maguire not being able to run hoping we'd somehow build a team where we could "get away with it".

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Sorry I should have phrased it differently. I know that UTD are in talks with Ajax about Timber. Timber loves ETH and I can't see him going anywhere else (even though loads of clubs are interested). I am expecting a pricetag of 37M pounds.

Gurtej

AWB - currently unsellable due to wages and length left on contract (and probably the least likely out of our full backs to be sold this summer)
Martial - currently unsellable due to wages and two years left on contract
Rashford - will not be sold
Maguire - will not be sold

Realistcally -
Henderson, Dalot and Bailly are our most sellable assets and Ten Hag may want to keep one of them. If we make more than £70m in sales this year, i'd be amazed.
Everything is possible with the right people in charge….

Rolaholic

This guys been pushing Timber to us since early April before ETH was even announced

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What has Henderson done in the last 12 months to be one of the most expensive goalkeepers of all time? I think even 20m would be a reach. The players Arsenal signed actually played games, you can’t compare Tuanzebe and Henderson to that.
Henderson has Newcastle after him, and goalkeepers don't move that frequently so "one of most expensive of all time" is meaningless (besides, Kepa went for 70m).

Lynty

Everything is possible with the right people in charge….
The mafia maybe.

Other than putting a gun to their heads, what's the incentive for either AWB or Martial to take signifcant pay cuts to help us acheive a sale.

LordSpud

Buying a 5'10" CB sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I hope I'm wrong. As good as he maybe on the ball, him getting bullied is what worries me. Gotta trust in ETH, I guess.
Kounde is an inch shorter...

RedRover

The mafia maybe.

Other than putting a gun to their heads, what's the incentive for either AWB or Martial to take signifcant pay cuts to help us acheive a sale.
Not sitting on the bench, or playing the reserves.

Some players are happy not playing and getting paid. I don't know whether these players are, but they're not particularly old and if they have any ambition they'll realise two years waiting for a contract to run down whilst not playing will do nothing for them.

Irwin99

If it doesn't work at CB then switch him to right back :drool: Sounds as if he's a very versatile player too.

SAFMUTD

People are quick to doubt Ten Hag, he obviously has an idea how to use him. If you can be bothered look at Timber's stats at least, they're unreal.
Many are concerned about his aerial stats, which show he struggles with that part of the game.

Many of us think that that same weakness can be exposed much more in the premier league.

Lynty

If it doesn't work at CB then switch him to right back :drool: Sounds as if he's a very versatile player too.
I actually think he'll be started at RB.

Regardless of this years form, replacing Maguire, Varane or Lindelof with a 20 year old is too big a move for a manager who's just walked into the club. They'll have their chances and Timber will be waiting in the wings (literally) for Ten Hag to make his decision on them.

As long as you can pass better than AWB and tackle better than Dalot, neither of which is hard, you'll be starting RB.

Bojan Djordjic

Not making my mind but just found it interesting
Statistics are quite unreliable when judging the defensive side of the game because playing style affects amounts of tackles, headers, blocks etc. However, they tell us a lot in terms of passing accuracy, effectiveness of passing and carrying. Timber is absolutely elite among centre backs at this and so these types of videos are unfair. Every player makes mistakes. Think this is a part of his game that is currently above question to be fair to him.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Timber should not be leaving Ajax yet. One more year at Ajax will be good for him. Not sure if he's ready for PL yet. He could be and if anything he's gonna cut it in Ten Hag's football, but it is definitely a gamble. But I guess I understand Ten Hag. He needs to improve the squad in multiple areas, of which CB is probably the biggest one. He needs CBs that can handle the ball and Timber definitely is superb in that. I would personally go with De Ligt. I still rate De Ligt higher. Of course he's not as godo on the ball as Timber, but De Ligt is still solid in possession and obviously he brings much more to the table physically.

For me I would prioritize De Ligt as the next leader for Man Utd. De Ligt is also a leader and Timber is much more shy and not that kind of personality. However as mentioned before Ten Hag clearly needs to improve multiple areas in the team and from that perspective I understand him going for Timber as Timber will come with a significantly lower price tag than De Ligt or other CB's that might fit the profile. On top of that Timber can also be used as a fullback.

As an Ajax fan it makes me sad as players shouldn't leave Ajax after just 2 full seasons. He should play another year or two in the first team before leaving. It's too early. But this is sadly what happens when the head coach moves to a big club. Will always take one or two players with him.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Timber should not be leaving Ajax yet. One more year at Ajax will be good for him. Not sure if he's ready for PL yet. He could be and if anything he's gonna cut it in Ten Hag's football, but it is definitely a gamble. But I guess I understand Ten Hag. He needs to improve the squad in multiple areas, of which CB is probably the biggest one. He needs CBs that can handle the ball and Timber definitely is superb in that. I would personally go with De Ligt. I still rate De Ligt higher. Of course he's not as godo on the ball as Timber, but De Ligt is still solid in possession and obviously he brings much more to the table physically. For me I would prioritize De Ligt as the next leader for Man Utd. De Ligt is also a leader and Timber is much more shy and not that kind of personality. However as mentioned before Ten Hag clearly needs to improve multiple areas in the team and from that perspective I understand him going for Timber as Timber will come with a significantly lower price tag than De Ligt or other CB's that might fit the profile. On top of that Timber can also be used as a fullback. As an Ajax fan it makes me sad as players shouldn't leave Ajax after just 2 full seasons. He should play another year or two in the first team before leaving. It's too early. But this is sadly what happens when the head coach moves to a big club. Will always take one or two players with him.
use some paragraphs bro, nobody is reading all that

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never seen him play, but slightly nervous that people are positioning him as a modern day shorter version of Silvestre.

Height may not be everything. Lindelof is 6ft 2 apparently, yet heads as if he's 5ft 8. But if we have any intention of bringing a centre back in, he has to be able to cut it aerially in this league.

evil_geko

I dunno mate, this forum blows my mind sometimes, you would think there were no good CBs below 190cm in the past.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course. I think 5’10 is a decent height for a CB. A poster mentioned above that City’s defence aren’t physically imposing and I agree. Dias is built like a brick shit house, but Laporte, Stones, Ake, Cancelo aren’t physically imposing defenders, but are still excellent defenders (I left Walker out as he is physically athletic).

One position that helps City’s defence immeasurably is having a world class holding midfielder in Rodri just ahead. Nailing that position is also key.
Stones is 6ft 2, Laporte is 6ft 3.

Ake isn't that good, and barely plays.
Cancelo is still 6ft but is a full back/winger anyway.
Dias is physical.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because a lot of the ball is in the air in the premier league. You can't have weak aerial defenders without getting punished. Hence all the complaints about Bailly and Lindelof.
And even Jonesy gets battered, being 5ft 10.

Talking about he may get taller is just laughable mate.

Canuckred64

Timber should not be leaving Ajax yet. One more year at Ajax will be good for him. Not sure if he's ready for PL yet. He could be and if anything he's gonna cut it in Ten Hag's football, but it is definitely a gamble. But I guess I understand Ten Hag. He needs to improve the squad in multiple areas, of which CB is probably the biggest one. He needs CBs that can handle the ball and Timber definitely is superb in that. I would personally go with De Ligt. I still rate De Ligt higher. Of course he's not as godo on the ball as Timber, but De Ligt is still solid in possession and obviously he brings much more to the table physically. For me I would prioritize De Ligt as the next leader for Man Utd. De Ligt is also a leader and Timber is much more shy and not that kind of personality. However as mentioned before Ten Hag clearly needs to improve multiple areas in the team and from that perspective I understand him going for Timber as Timber will come with a significantly lower price tag than De Ligt or other CB's that might fit the profile. On top of that Timber can also be used as a fullback. As an Ajax fan it makes me sad as players shouldn't leave Ajax after just 2 full seasons. He should play another year or two in the first team before leaving. It's too early. But this is sadly what happens when the head coach moves to a big club. Will always take one or two players with him.
The problem is that if he stays at Ajax another year and continue he's to improve, next year his price will double. If Ten Hag really wants him, but him now. You can always send him out on a short term loan if he isn't quite ready for the Premier yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.