Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

copen1945

I know nothing about the player. Having only read his wiki page, he isn't tall. Hopefully, that won't be a problem.

Also, I was surprised that there is a bit of chatter about monkeys and jungles. Fun times.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let me clarify: Me describing AWB as a ‘monkey’ has NOTHING to do with with the fecking colour of his skin. Jesus christ, are we past this already?

No, the way he moves his flexible body about the pitch always reminds me about a monkey moving through the jungle. It’s actually a compliment, because it’s quite gracefully. The only unfortunate thing is that the comparison is also correct in that both the monkey and AWB can’t handle a football for shit.
He's really poor on the ball but AWB is a good defender. Just not for a club like United. Palace was right for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's also a case of seeing what we have, and what he is, and what is available. Is Timber part of Ten Hag's future plans as a CB? Sure. Timber is only 20 though. New league and drastically more difficult one. He can play at RB and Ten Hag has used him there in the past, but obviously they had an excellent RB in Mazraoui so he was the main guy. With that in mind... He'll look at our squad and see Varane, Maguire and Lindelof as CB options, with only Dalot as a RB option. It's common sense. What is a bigger upgrade, Timber over Maguire or Lindelof while using Dalot, or Timber over Dalot while using Maguire?

He might move him centrally eventually or use him to rotate there while mainly being a RB, and eventually buying a right back. Those who say "buy a RB then".... Well, who? Easy to say buy a RB, but maybe Ten Hag and the recruitment team feel Timber would do a better job at RB than anyone we could buy at RB, while also being part of the long term plan anyway, while at the same time being a stop gap until we find a long term RB.
There's also implicit trust in playing him at RB, even if temporarily as Timber knows absolutely everything expected of him in the role, so it becomes one less thing to worry about this pre-season, at least. Ajax's full-backs have complicated roles in and out of possession so Timber there really cuts coaching and stressing down by taking a position out of that equation.

Kingslayer18

Due to our CBs being all around the same age, it makes sense for us to target a younger CB. Whilst I love the idea of Timber coming onboard, I'm surprised we haven't targeted a left footed CB. There are some younger left footed CBs out there with awesome potential that would be a great fit for the squad. Unless Timber is going to split his time at RB and CB, then this deal doesn't make sense. Hopefully we target a left footed CB next year.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Due to our CBs being all around the same age, it makes sense for us to target a younger CB. Whilst I love the idea of Timber coming onboard, I'm surprised we haven't targeted a left footed CB. There are some younger left footed CBs out there with awesome potential that would be a great fit for the squad. Unless Timber is going to split his time at RB and CB, then this deal doesn't make sense. Hopefully we target a left footed CB next year.
Pau Torres is left footed

Orange Tree

This fits with one of the recent articles about our season. Lots of discussions and nothing done.

Marvin-ator

Let me clarify: Me describing AWB as a ‘monkey’ has NOTHING to do with with the fecking colour of his skin. Jesus christ, are we past this already?

No, the way he moves his flexible body about the pitch always reminds me about a monkey moving through the jungle. It’s actually a compliment, because it’s quite gracefully. The only unfortunate thing is that the comparison is also correct in that both the monkey and AWB can’t handle a football for shit.

I'd look to be more socially aware!!! If a pundit did this online they'd be sacked and to be frank, you should be mindful of what you post.

SparkedIntoLife

Based on the players seriously linked, I can’t help thinking that we’re moving to 3 centre backs with Timber and Pau Torres each side of Varane or Maguire. This helps Maguire as both are quick (despite appearances, Torres is actually lightning quick and clocks insane top speeds). It also benefits Dalot, Telles and maybe even Laird who might stick around the first team. If we sign Sosa, he operates best at LWB too.

It takes away the need for a DM that shields the defence. De Jong and Fred could work with 3 defenders behind them but wouldn’t be robust enough in big games with 2 centre backs behind them.

We haven’t really been linked with wingers so I’d expect we’ll get another ST. Sancho slightly loses out in this system but surely can adapt to either the AM role or a second striker free role.

OT_United

Just seen this guy is 5ft 10". Thiago Silva probably the only CB I can think of under 6ft that has been a success in the PL.
He wouldn't be my choice.

Andrew7582

Based on the players seriously linked, I can’t help thinking that we’re moving to 3 centre backs with Timber and Pau Torres each side of Varane or Maguire. This helps Maguire as both are quick (despite appearances, Torres is actually lightning quick and clocks insane top speeds). It also benefits Dalot, Telles and maybe even Laird who might stick around the first team. If we sign Sosa, he operates best at LWB too.

It takes away the need for a DM that shields the defence. De Jong and Fred could work with 3 defenders behind them but wouldn’t be robust enough in big games with 2 centre backs behind them.

We haven’t really been linked with wingers so I’d expect we’ll get another ST. Sancho slightly loses out in this system but surely can adapt to either the AM role or a second striker free role.
Our wing back options would need an overhaul to play that system all season, we don't have good enough quality on either side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He’s a CB. I don’t understand why so many are convinced we’d sign him to be our RB. Could be do a job there? Sure, if needed I guess. But if we want a RB we’d sign a RB.
That's what I initially thought. However the more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea of him being signed as a RB

A- AWB is on sale and we're not being linked to a RB.
B- Ajax love their kids to play multiple roles. Rijkaard, Blind and the De Boers all played in multiple roles.
C- ETH already play with a converted LB ie in Blind
D- United's defence is a mess. Varane, Jones, Tuanzebe, Shaw and Bailly are either shit or/and injury prone, Maguire is unsuited for ETH's game and Dalot & Telles aren't good enough. In reality we need at least 2 defenders and someone like Timber whose young, who can play multiple roles and whose on the cheap will be a nice addition to the team. Think of an upgrade on OShea
E- While Pau Torres + Timber would swallow much of our budget (around 80m), this would change if Villareal are truly interested in Bailly and we're able to sell AWB. If the pair can be sold off to a combined fee of 30m-40m then we could get the pair for just 40m.

SparkedIntoLife

Our wing back options would need an overhaul to play that system all season, we don't have good enough quality on either side.
Yeah agreed. I mentioned Sosa who operates best at LWB and is the best crosser in the Bundesliga bar Kostic who is like 7 years older. Laird put in sensational performances at RWB for Swansea in the season just gone but struggled at Bournemouth with injuries and playing in a more conventional RB role.

We could upgrade at RWB. The benefit of a 352 is that we’d only really need a ST in attack as opposed to a ST and a RW if we played 433 (and buying an extra CD is typically cheaper than buying an attacker). Antony is the only real RW we’ve been linked with but reports are tenuous at best. ETH pretty much shut down that notion himself while also basically confirming interest in Timber.

The most heavily circulated and seemingly legit rumours do seem to hint at a 352 -

GK: De Gea
RCD: Timber
LCD: Pau Torres
CD: Varane/Maguire
RWB: NEW/Dalot/Laird
LWB: Sosa/Malacia/Shaw
Playmaker CM: De Jong/NEW
Ball Winner CM: Fred;
AM: Fernandes/VDB
Free Role Attacker: Sancho
ST: Ronaldo/Nunez/NEW

Smithy89

Yeah agreed. I mentioned Sosa who operates best at LWB and is the best crosser in the Bundesliga bar Kostic who is like 7 years older. Laird put in sensational performances at RWB for Swansea in the season just gone but struggled at Bournemouth with injuries and playing in a more conventional RB role.

We could upgrade at RWB. The benefit of a 352 is that we’d only really need a ST in attack as opposed to a ST and a RW if we played 433 (and buying an extra CD is typically cheaper than buying an attacker). Antony is the only real RW we’ve been linked with but reports are tenuous at best. ETH pretty much shut down that notion himself while also basically confirming interest in Timber.

The most heavily circulated and seemingly legit rumours do seem to hint at a 352 -

GK: De Gea
RCD: Timber
LCD: Pau Torres
CD: Varane/Maguire
RWB: NEW/Dalot/Laird
LWB: Sosa/Malacia/Shaw
Playmaker CM: De Jong/NEW
Ball Winner CM: Fred;
AM: Fernandes/VDB
Free Role Attacker: Sancho
ST: Ronaldo/Nunez/NEW

Fred as the ball winner should not be happening, he's better further forward if anything.

gajender

Are we really doing this again United won't be playing 3 at the back formation regularly and nothing suggest We are targeting players specifically for that . Chances are it would most probably be 4231 again .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If we signed Timber and Torres I would think we'd more likely play Timber as a RB in a nominal 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and just have our fullbacks invert centrally to effectively create a 3-4-3 in possession.

So one of Timber/Shaw would tuck in to form part of the back three alongside the two centre-backs while the other would push ahead to form part of the midfield four. That's closer to what Ajax currently do.

It would effectively mean swapping the dedicated RWB in a 3-5-2 for an extra attacker/midfielder.

Or it might be that we only sign one of Timber and Torres and we just haven't been linked with the dedicated RB we're actually interested in yet.

Bondi77

Just read an article in The Sun on him and he is described as “towering”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's what I initially thought. However the more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea of him being signed as a RB

B- Ajax love their kids to play multiple roles. Rijkaard, Blind and the De Boers all played in multiple roles.
D- United's defence is a mess. Varane, Jones, Tuanzebe, Shaw and Bailly are either shit or/and injury prone, Maguire is unsuited for ETH's game and Dalot & Telles aren't good enough. In reality we need at least 2 defenders and someone like Timber whose young, who can play multiple roles and whose on the cheap will be a nice addition to the team. Think of an upgrade on OShea
E- While Pau Torres + Timber would swallow much of our budget (around 80m), this would change if Villareal are truly interested in Bailly and we're able to sell AWB. If the pair can be sold off to a combined fee of 30m-40m then we could get the pair for just 40m.
Sounds like that’s the plan, which I like.

IRELANDUNITED

Daley Blind, perhaps?;)

Suv666

I reckon we won't have problems shifting Bailly but finding a buyer for AWB would be difficult.

Kingslayer18

Club doesnt know Gvardiol.

Just read that Chelsea have him as one of their targets and not a peep on any interest from us, so you're probably right. Goes to show that we still haven't learnt. He'll be a beast at Chelsea and the CAF will weep, just as it did for Konate.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Just read that Chelsea have him as one of their targets and not a peep on any interest from us, so you're probably right. Goes to show that we still haven't learnt. He'll be a beast at Chelsea and the CAF will weep, just as it did for Konate.
No one saw Konate or Upamecano coming right.

UpWithRivers

Just seen this guy is 5ft 10". Thiago Silva probably the only CB I can think of under 6ft that has been a success in the PL.
He wouldn't be my choice.
I cant think of many 20 year olds that have been successful CB's. That and his height makes him a gamble and a project. Is that really what we need to be doing? I can only trust that Ten Haag knows best. But there is no way he comes in as first choice and dislodges Maguire, Varane or even Lindelof. He will be 4th choice, one for the future signing. Or if he starts then he is a one in a generation talent

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I cant think of many 20 year olds that have been successful CB's. That and his height makes him a gamble and a project. Is that really what we need to be doing? I can only trust that Ten Haag knows best. But there is no way he comes in as first choice and dislodges Maguire, Varane or even Lindelof. He will be 4th choice, one for the future signing. Or if he starts then he is a one in a generation talent
De Ligt moved at age 19/20. He's been doing well for Juve. Fans are excited that he extended his contract and want him as the captain. Ajax fans (including me) think Timber is deffo ready for the step up. The kid is amazing. I'll be gutted if he leaves.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, it is extremely rare for a CB that young to start (especially for a big club) and thrive in the PL.

Fofana is really the only recent example. Stones played a lot at that age too but his form was very up-and-down.

Terry and Rio both did it at 20 but they were two of the best CBs in the history of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.