Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Social media literally didn’t exist until the last days of Ferguson, and certainly wasn’t seen as the branding tool it now is.

Beside, David Beckham was the archetype for this stuff, and Fergie had absolutely no problem with that.
True about social media era now. Have to say that so far i don't see any problem with most of our players social media. Hairstyle, clothing, vacation, etc. are just harmless stuff. I draw a line with that childish pillow humping, or Lingard's clip when the bus was under attacked, though. But most of others are alright.

I disagreed with the bolded part. But that's another off topic on Timber's thread, i guess.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
After we bought him and Torres, we would only left with around 40m to buy our other targets.

Bestietom

Varane is what 6 foot 3 and 29... so think we are fine for a tall experience cb for the next few years

Mengi is a long way off getting a chance for united... he started 7 games in the championship this year (none in 2022) and has not even made the England u21 team yet
I would rather see Timber play at right back.

wolvored

Is he shorter or poor header of the ball than Daley Blind? Blind was good as CB playing in possession based team, he was probably one of the least physical player we had after Mata and Bruno.

Also I remember reading article where they quoted ETH saying Timber has potential to move to CM position. I hope we are considering everything before making a move.

We need lot of players and going by reports, not much money to spend, so everything should be considered before making a move for player.
CM CD RB have all been accredited to where Timber can play. This might be why we are after him. Covers several roles.

GledTheRed

If you want to see if they care then check their on field performance, not their Instagram accounts.
That's my point , they've been stealing a living and feel it necessary to give it large constantly.

If my work place was struggling and I was ringing in sick and tossing it off constantly I wouldn't be giving it the big un on my weekend off.

Marwood

My argument has nothing to do with what Pep or Klopp do, you're the one who brought that up
Your argument is that there's no need to be big or strong as a CB.

I brought up the two best managers in the league because they obviously think there is a need. Along with pretty much every other manager.

I get the excitement over a mew signing and wanting it to work.

But we're Man Utd. We've got plenty of money. We don't have to compromise to thia extent.

We can get a CB who's mobile and physically dominant.

Not a small bloke who is average or poor in the air.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's my point , they've been stealing a living and feel it necessary to give it large constantly.

If my work place was struggling and I was ringing in sick and tossing it off constantly I wouldn't be giving it the big un on my weekend off.
And they are getting criticism for their on pitch performance. Just because they had shit season doesn't mean they can't enjoy their vacation or should be crying in dark room.

You are not just moaning about ManUtd players, you are moaning about Timber who won league title with Ajax, so what's the reason for that? None of what you said apply for him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Consider the type of football Ten Hag is going to play... Defenders over the halfway line while United is attacking.

What skill would you rather have in your central defender? Speed and the ability to defend large spaces? Or someone of 2 meters who can keep heading balls away from the box?

I'm not saying that ideally Timber would be 15 centimeters taller, but the obsession with height on this forum is absolutely crazy. Height/Aerial duels is one of a large set of skills a central defender might have. Somehow people on this forum seem to think its the most important one, where its very defendable that in Ten Hag's style of play other attributes are way more important..

Ofcourse he might lose a header or two next season if he comes to United, and that might cost a goal at one point, but it will cost a lot a lot more points if we'd play a defender who is clueless in large spaces and defending on a high line.. Add Timbers ability on the ball and you have a hell of a CB for United and Ten Hag next season..

Or are there people aiming/expecting here that we get a central defender who will be without downsides?
It is as simple as this really..

Bondi77

CM CD RB have all been accredited to where Timber can play. This might be why we are after him. Covers several roles.
Not long ago we were told Sancho could play LW RW and AM.......maybe that was just in Germany.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Consider the type of football Ten Hag is going to play... Defenders over the halfway line while United is attacking.

What skill would you rather have in your central defender? Speed and the ability to defend large spaces? Or someone of 2 meters who can keep heading balls away from the box?

I'm not saying that ideally Timber would be 15 centimeters taller, but the obsession with height on this forum is absolutely crazy. Height/Aerial duels is one of a large set of skills a central defender might have. Somehow people on this forum seem to think its the most important one, where its very defendable that in Ten Hag's style of play other attributes are way more important..

Ofcourse he might lose a header or two next season if he comes to United, and that might cost a goal at one point, but it will cost a lot a lot more points if we'd play a defender who is clueless in large spaces and defending on a high line.. Add Timbers ability on the ball and you have a hell of a CB for United and Ten Hag next season..

Or are there people aiming/expecting here that we get a central defender who will be without downsides?
The list of attributes that the CAF prioritizes (even borderline obsessed) in a player about to join:

- Height

You can see the effect video games like FIFA had on many people: Players over 30 years old will have their form suddenly dropped off from a cliff, players with less pace will always lose out on the ball (Using this logic Carrick/Pirlo will not even get a sniff of the ball during games) and players without great height will always lose out in an aerial duel (As if Evra lost all of them).

AussieDevil

Its not very often in a match you'll have two players shoulder to shoulder going up for a header. Usually the most effective defenders master their positioning and timing to be dominant in the air.

Marwood

If it's an obsession then every manager the league must be obsessed as well.

Because they all pretty much want big strong players back there.

It's not just about headers either. It's about not being physically bullied in general. I'd have thought as a United fan you'd have seen enough of that over the last few years. At his height and size Timber will be targeted by teams if played at CB.

Nor does it have to be a Timber or a Maguire. They're not the only types of defenders out there. There's a whole category inbetween which is where the best CB's in the league can be found.

GledTheRed

And they are getting criticism for their on pitch performance. Just because they had shit season doesn't mean they can't enjoy their vacation or should be crying in dark room.

You are not just moaning about ManUtd players, you are moaning about Timber who won league title with Ajax, so what's the reason for that? None of what you said apply for him.
You might want to read what I said about Timber as the above is incorrect.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dias is over 6ft and a very stocky bloke. Much bigger build than Lindelof. He's also very good in the air. The opposite of Timber?

Not sure that supports your argument here.

Just coincidence then that Klopp and Pep have big lads at the back in the Prem? Not thought out that way.

Does that sound like Klopp and Pep to you?

Never mind who Pep plays at the back when they've a load of injuries. When everyone is fit he chooses two big strapping blokes who can both head the ball.

This isn't to say Klopp and Pep are always correct. But you look at what they're doing(and pretty much every manager in the league), throw in some common sense and you have an answer.

It makes no sense to have a small bloke who can't really head the ball(from what I'vw read) at CB.
If you are going to buy a footballer that plays centre half, he is always likely to be big because most footballers already playing centre half are big. Nobody is suggesting they should deliberately go out of their way to find one of the shorter ones. My point is that Pep has shown no issue with playing shorter ones. He’s played Puyol, Fernandinho, Clichy, Walker and Sagna at centre half on a number of occasions, and also voluntarily signed Ake.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
If it's an obsession then every manager the league must be obsessed as well.

Because they all pretty much want big strong players back there.

It's not just about headers either. It's about not being physically bullied in general. I'd have thought as a United fan you'd have seen enough of that over the last few years. At his height and size Timber will be targeted by teams if played at CB.

Nor does it have to be a Timber or a Maguire. They're not the only types of defenders out there. There's a whole category inbetween which is where the best CB's in the league can be found.
Ive had way more than enough of United defenders not having spacial awareness and the ability to defend spaces or United as a team having no idea what to do with the ball in build up, than Ive have enough of defenders being bullied physically. Hell if we have one defender who never gets bullied physically its AWB and Id like to see him gone the soonest.

Moreover I dont really have concerns about Timber being physically bullied in the Premier League... Ofcourse he would need to get used to the physicallity and the pace of the league, but that would go for anyone coming from a lower league. Timber is very steady on his feet, very quick and aggressive in a good way. Ive seen Daley Blind play CB at United for a year in the Premier League and he was hardly every physically bullied by any striker, because (like Timber) they are smart defenders with eye for spaces in which they very often can prevent getting in a physical 1-1.

dasty

I have a wild theory guys, if we defend on the front foot, and control the game properly with a good team structure, maybe we won't need both of our center backs to go into 100 aerial duels every game? If we can stop giving the ball away in dangerous places, maybe we won't need our defenders to constantly go into aerial duels while hanging onto our dear lives in front of the goal? We have one of the tallest team in the league and how many headers did we score? How many goals from set pieces? Is height really as important as you all really think? City have the 4th lowest amount of aerial duels won while we have the best aerial duels won percentage in the league, does that really mean anything?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Your argument is that there's no need to be big or strong as a CB.

I brought up the two best managers in the league because they obviously think there is a need. Along with pretty much every other manager.

I get the excitement over a mew signing and wanting it to work.

But we're Man Utd. We've got plenty of money. We don't have to compromise to thia extent.

We can get a CB who's mobile and physically dominant.

Not a small bloke who is average or poor in the air.
Incorrect. I said teams like Burnley who play it long to a big man up front are a thing of the past

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Would like to have him as a right back and maybe even as a converted dm later on but if we're going to mainly play him as a center back i think i would be more comfortable with pau Torres in there.

OleGunnar20

Heading ability is obviously advantageous at CB. Perhaps less so now for dominant teams but hey, let's not pretend that having a weakness in the air at CB isn't a potential issue.

For me I'd like CB's and CF's to be physical enough to hold their own (generally speaking), any other position and height & strength comes into the equation far less, if at all really.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge whether his Pro's would compensate for this quite clear Con, but if ETH wants him and he's affordable I'm all for it. The man certainly knows better than me.

SATA

I don’t normally feel excited when it comes to signing defenders. Varane’s signing last season was pretty good but Timber is probably on another level. Top young player who has a very high ceiling to develop. Abit like De Ligt but he perhaps didn’t want us

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

So 14th June is their last Nations League game, then a two week holiday minimum.

Feels like transfer windows take ages to get going :(

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

So 14th June is their last Nations League game, then a two week holiday minimum.

Feels like transfer windows take ages to get going :(
Some clubs have already gotten business done. Surely this shouldnt be a hindrance.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some clubs have already gotten business done. Surely this shouldnt be a hindrance.
Feels like this with every transfer target we've ever had.

Concentrating on the season > Focusing on internationals > On holiday > Training with current club in pre-season

SATA

As long as he’s ready for pre season with United, that’ll be fine. Does it really matter if he goes on holiday then sign with us or sign with us then go on holiday?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As long as he’s ready for pre season with United, that’ll be fine. Does it really matter if he goes on holiday then sign with us or sign with us then go on holiday?
Yes my brain needs endorphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.