Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s a bit of a dodgy situation this year with transfers, players will be wary about joining clubs if there not guaranteed to start because they’ll want to make the World Cup. However if players aren’t playing at current clubs they’ll look to move on to get the game time they require. This year though it’s better that the World Cup is later as normally players prices would go sky high if they have a good World Cup and will make it hard for clubs to sign them. In timbers situation he probably thinks it’s best to stay at Ajax to make the Dutch team for the World Cup as it’s an easier league to perform in and he’ll have the CL to impress in. If he moves to the prem and fails to settle and play poorly then that could ruin his chances at the World Cup.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Incredibly disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. Whether LVG spoke to him or not is irrelevant. We have given more than enough reason for players who care about their careers to not want to come here. People on this forum and beyond greatly overestimate our pull. Everyone who has come here for the past 10 years has been worse for wear, so he is entirely in his right to be careful.
Incredibly negative slant as per usual for this place. It has nothing to do with players failing here or the club’s pull and everything to do with the World Cup being in November and him wanting to play in it. LVG isn’t irrelevant at all - the journalist says he was coming until his intervention where he told him he wouldn’t get into the side if he wasn’t playing every week. Timber quite logically feels it’s a huge risk at 20 adjusting to the far more physical EPL immediately and starting ahead of Maguire, Varane and Lindelof.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m glad this one has fallen through. We can always try next year and I really think we need someone ready to walk straight into the first team like a Pau
I'm not glad at all. He looks super talented.

From the clips Pau looks pretty good.

R'hllor

People blaming LvG as he has some agenda in this instance, he puts general warning regarding play time to be selected and then its up to player, some of you are nuts.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
van Gaal said something similar to what any coach of a top NT would do or say. Timber not thinking he could displace our CB’s/RB’s is the far bigger factor, clearly.

Hughie77

I'm not that disappointed if we don't get this guy this season anyway. CM is more of the problems needed to be addressed along with a striker. Sounds as if he wants to stay a Ajax. Fair enough see how he goes in World cup keep eye on him . And maybe in January or next season.

Mainoldo

I'm not glad at all. He looks super talented.

From the clips Pau looks pretty good.
I get that. But he’s not removing Maguire Lindelof and Varane. Just due to inexperience and age. A more mature defender playing well does. It’s also why LVG warned him as he knows the risk associated with playing for a team like United in the premier league.

I mean we would all be prepared for the he needs time to adjust excuse and he’ll be a player after he familiarises with the league.

You think he’ll get loads of minutes if he takes time to adjust whilst we have an £80m defender on the bench and seasoned pro’s in Lindelof and Varane. He’ll be holding bench quickly hence why it’s better for him to continuing playing at Ajax, with his goal being the World Cup.

If it wasn’t a World Cup year I’m sure it would be different.

I didn’t want him regardless as I know how football works. I don’t want a defender that’s not going straight into the first team, not with our current options.

siw2007

As much as it’s a shame this signing isn’t going to happen, I understand why and with De Jong amongst others being big targets then we are perhaps better for focusing our limited funds on them this year.

If he is still desirable next year, I think we will try again and get the deal done.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Unless you're one of a few select clubs who stockpile young players for a big fee it's safe to say if you make a big money signing they're going to play more often than not (not that you can ever guarantee a player plays ever game) so it can't be that that's the reason why this has fell through

I expect it's more that those close to the player have agree another season in Holland will be better for him than switching leagues at his age

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Absolute bollocks, you tell a player what he wants to hear to get a deal done.
You can’t get away with that anymore. Look at what Ole did with a number of our players. Also, I wouldn’t want our manager to make false promises just so they sign. We’re better than that. This is United.

davidmichael

LVG is like that ex that no matter how many years have gone by after the split they remain bitter and have nothing but toxicity towards the one that jilted them, it’s funny when you consider Depay never gets a game at Barca yet plays every international for Holland.

phelans shorts

LVG is like that ex that no matter how many years have gone by after the split they remain bitter and have nothing but toxicity towards the one that jilted them, it’s funny when you consider Depay never gets a game at Barca yet plays every international for Holland.
Yeah, United fans are weirdly bitter towards him. He’s just trying to move forward with his new partner and being blamed for our misgivings.

SeanyC

Don’t get it, Ake at City barely plays and gets called up all the time. Granted Timber may not get on every game but to use a threat like that show the true colours of LVG, a bitter old man…just for this I hope they get walloped at the WC

davidmichael

Yeah, United fans are weirdly bitter towards him. He’s just trying to move forward with his new partner and being blamed for our misgivings.
I don’t see any bitterness from United or LVG blamed for where we are now, yes he wasted a lot of money and barely any of his signings worked out but I’ve always seen Woodward as the main cause of where we currently are.

When was the last time Ake played for City ? Depay never plays for Barca whilst Bergwijn rarely plays for Spurs and it’s the same for Wilnajdum at PSG, are we going to see those four left out because they’re not playing for their clubs every week ? LVG has a dig at United or goes against us every time he possibly can.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
:lol: :lol:. Wait, people here seriously blaming LVG for this? fecking hell.
He is NT coach and told the players that they must play if they want to go on World cup. What is wrong in that, ffs?

And i don't blame Timber. His competition would be club's 80mil worth captain and Varane. He just plays it safe

phelans shorts

I don’t see any bitterness from United or LVG blamed for where we are now, yes he wasted a lot of money and barely any of his signings worked out but I’ve always seen Woodward as the main cause of where we currently are.

When was the last time Ake played for City ? Depay never plays for Barca whilst Bergwijn rarely plays for Spurs and it’s the same for Wilnajdum at PSG, are we going to see those four left out because they’re not playing for their clubs every week ? LVG has a dig at United or goes against us every time he possibly can.
Or those are seasoned pros who Van Gaal knows he can rely on based on years working together, not a new member of the squad that he hasn’t worked with much before to know if he can be trusted to be thrown in. Funnily enough Wijnaldum was actually left out of the squad for the most recent internationals, as it happens, don’t let facts ruin a shit point mind.

There’s loads of posts here laying into a manager for looking out for his own best interests as if it’s a personal attack and not… doing what’s best for his current job. Let’s face it the likelihood of Timber being first choice next season is incredibly slim, at best, if he signs here. Then it’s much less likely to happen before November.

He’s moved on and is doing his own thing. This isn’t a personal attack on United, it’s a manager being self serving, as he should.

davidmichael

Or those are seasoned pros who Van Gaal knows he can rely on based on years working together, not a new member of the squad that he hasn’t worked with much before to know if he can be trusted to be thrown in. Funnily enough Wijnaldum was actually left out of the squad for the most recent internationals, as it happens, don’t let facts ruin a shit point mind.

There’s loads of posts here laying into a manager for looking out for his own best interests as if it’s a personal attack and not… doing what’s best for his current job. Let’s face it the likelihood of Timber being first choice next season is incredibly slim, at best, if he signs here. Then it’s much less likely to happen before November.

He’s moved on and is doing his own thing. This isn’t a personal attack on United, it’s a manager being self serving, as he should.
Yes years of working with Ake who he’s managed for less than a year in charge of the national team ? Or years of working with Depay in that one season at United ? Or years of working with Bergwijn ? LVG has moved on so much that he basically told ETH not to take the United job not to mention the other public rants against United ?

Personally I‘m not bothered if we sign Timber this summer as I think Gvardiol and Ndicka are both better and have a higher ceiling potential wise so would rather we signed one of those instead but please don’t try to make out LVG has not showed constant bitterness towards United ever since he was sacked, yes it was done in a very snakey way as Woodward wanted Jose BUT LVG has never let it go.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
See no reason this can't still happen in January then. Though, doesn't bode well for a player not to believe he can get into a first XI for his previous manager. Especially if as rumoured he can play RB, when our current RB options are one who can't pass and one can't defend.

Dante

Average bang
I think we were hoping to sign Timber as an inverted fullback. That's something Shaw would excel at as well, imo.

It's a tactic I quite like, so I hope EtH sees it through even if he can't sign this guy. Apparently, it was his regular formation at Ajax.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don’t get it, Ake at City barely plays and gets called up all the time. Granted Timber may not get on every game but to use a threat like that show the true colours of LVG, a bitter old man…just for this I hope they get walloped at the WC
It’s not a threat, ffs. Ake gets into the team because he’s left footed and Van Gaal is a typical Dutch footy weirdo who must play with a left and a right footed CB for balance — especially in a back three. You should remember that!

Bojan Djordjic

I actually think he will benefit from playing for Ajax another season.
Agreed, think this will suit both parties in the long run. Think he’s too green for what he would have to put up with at United and likely wouldn’t be a starter in his best position.

This will give him a chance to continue his great work and to play in the WC and for United to see if he keeps improving or was a flash in the pan.

croadyman

Agreed, think this will suit both parties in the long run. Think he’s too green for what he would have to put up with at United and likely wouldn’t be a starter in his best position.

This will give him a chance to continue his great work and to play in the WC and for United to see if he keeps improving or was a flash in the pan.
So you reckon we will still go back for him after the World Cup then

:lol: :lol:. Wait, people here seriously blaming LVG for this? fecking hell.
He is NT coach and told the players that they must play if they want to go on World cup. What is wrong in that, ffs?

And i don't blame Timber. His competition would be club's 80mil worth captain and Varane. He just plays it safe
Yeah, he has form, for example, dropping Wijnaldum from the Nations League team because he was not starting for PSG. Can understand Timber not wanting to join with Varane and Maguire likely to start most games ahead of him. It's a real pity as I think he would improve our defence greatly.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
People blaming LvG as he has some agenda in this instance, he puts general warning regarding play time to be selected and then its up to player, some of you are nuts.
He is a cnut. Players like Bergwijn start though he barely plays at Spurs. He doesnt hold that measure to everyone and it is also very recently that Bergwijn has been quality for the Dutch NT.

Bojan Djordjic

So you reckon we will still go back for him after the World Cup then
I don’t think they will go for him in January if that’s what you mean. I’ve been consistent on here that I don’t think signing Timber would be as impactful as making equivalent signings in other positions so I’m not pushed if we have to sign him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.