Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldanoGraham

I think Van Gaal for sure said something to Timber to change his mind. I'd say this one has simply been delayed til the Jan transfer window. Bet he still won't be a starter for Holland anyway.
Didn’t get the guarantees from us so listening to what Louis whispered in his ear…..maybe Jan instead or maybe he has missed his real big pay day?

Surely if you think your good enough you should back yourself?

quirkey

I am not totally 100 convinced with him yet. As a CB. I he havent put out the beast mode and max level of a CB. In the last matches i have watched of him.

Maguire is lacking top acceleration. Varane is not top physical strong and powerful. United and Ten Hag still need a beast of CB there. A top complete CB.

Every top and winning premier league team have a strong and solid defend hard to break. Even Leicester winning side had Kante. Who broke down opponent attacks.

Inter Treble season has Lucio and the Argentine CB i dont rememember his name. Barca golden era had Puyol. City became strong when they bough Ruben Diaz. Liverpool became champion when they bought Van Dijk.

Timber is really good. But far far from a world top class CB. I rate Timber max 4.5 out 5 as a CB.

United need to find the next world class CB. Chelsea and maybe Liverpool for Van Dijk need the same. Future dominating lie here.
4.5 out of 5? Really?:lol:

I’m assuming 5 out of 5 is as good as a defender can be, i.e. Beckenbauer, Nesta, Baresi, Moore, Ferdinand. I’ll take Timber if he is 4.5:drool:

Greck

There's nothing wrong with moving on. If we know the profile we want and aren't simply namechasing we should still have our athletic ballplaying CB not named Timber. Walking away is only half the story, it has to be completed by securing a capable alternative.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Another masterclass from the A team. How could you not get excited.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not bothered.

There seem to be other decent CBs on the market this summer anyway. Plus if we really want him in the longer term there's nothing stopping us from going back for him again in a subsequent window. Any CB we sign this summer seems intended join Varane, Maguire and Lindelof as options but that doesn't mean we won't want to replace one of those three even as early as next summer.

Plus you'd think Ajax would be very reluctant to let both Timber and Antony go in the same summer they lose their manager, so maybe Timber staying makes a move for Antony a bit more straightforward if we want him. Which is good if you rate Antony.

MrSingh2002

I've thought Akanji at Dortmund wouldve been a better signing for us given he's a real United fan too but the Dortmund fans don't seem rate him at all...

croadyman

Still could sign next year when maybe we can get ourselves back into Champions League

m1tch

Surely if you think your good enough you should back yourself?
Saw Rio saying how he considers himself the best (or at least one of the best) centrebacks to have played for United. He said something like "you gotta be like that". Boxers are the same.

If this guy's mentality is that he's wary that he's not good enough to get into our back four (against the players we've got), under his old boss to boot, then I'd say it's very likely that he's not good enough for us and we should look elsewhere.

Bondi77

Maybe he will have a growth spurt and be about 4 inches taller next season then he would be worth the investment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Saw Rio saying how he considers himself the best (or at least one of the best) centrebacks to have played for United. He said something like "you gotta be like that". Boxers are the same.

If this guy's mentality is that he's wary that he's not good enough to get into our back four (against the players we've got), under his old boss to boot, then I'd say it's very likely that he's not good enough for us and we should look elsewhere.
Rio didnt come in and start all the games straight away. Infact he says himself the first season he didn’t really feel like he earned the trophy. The world cup is mid season not next season. Unless he has been told he is going to play then he should stay where is his until after the world cup

Mainoldo

Rio didnt come in and start all the games straight away. Infact he says himself the first season he didn’t really feel like he earned the trophy. The world cup is mid season not next season. Unless he has been told he is going to play then he should stay where is his until after the world cup
What season was that then?

m1tch

Was that not due to injury though? I know he got injured in preseason.

Timber could get injured, his new Ajax boss might pick someone else. I kind of get it, he might think Varane and Maguire are more experienced and he's been told he's potentially more of a longer term replacement by EtH. Truth is though that Varane is injured half the time and none of our centrebacks have any credit in the bank from last season. I just tend to think that if he's staying in a weaker league for the reasons of game time then I'm thinking that we shouldn't consider his level to be a starter at a club like United (pretending we are where we should be sooner rather than later).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Was that not due to injury though? I know he got injured in preseason.

Timber could get injured, his new Ajax boss might pick someone else. I kind of get it, he might think Varane and Maguire are more experienced and he's been told he's potentially more of a longer term replacement by EtH. Truth is though that Varane is injured half the time and none of our centrebacks have any credit in the bank from last season. I just tend to think that if he's staying in a weaker league for the reasons of game time then I'm thinking that we shouldn't consider his level to be a starter at a club like United (pretending we are where we should be sooner rather than later).
Truth is he can join United after the world cup. And he can miss the world cup by joining United now

Sir Erik ten Hag

Disappointing, but I'll still enjoy watching him play for Ajax and Holland. Though, as @dutchred says above, I not only worry that his price will double, but that other top clubs will come in for him. We seemingly had a free run here which I don't expect next time.
We seemingly had a free run at De Jong too and we still haven't been able to wrap that deal up. There is no "having a free run" when it comes to Manchester United at the moment.

Red_toad

We seemingly had a free run at De Jong too and we still haven't been able to wrap that deal up. There is no "having a free run" when it comes to Manchester United at the moment.
Very few clubs have a spare 50 million plus sat around waiting to be spent. Just as we get ‘linked’ to numerous players, many of whom we’ve no interest in doesn’t mean the market is congested for the major deals. FDJ will stay at Barca or join United, I see no one else on the horizon for him. Barca are hoping someone else will start a bidding war, but that isn’t happening…

Idxomer

Disappointing, but I'll still enjoy watching him play for Ajax and Holland. Though, as @dutchred says above, I not only worry that his price will double, but that other top clubs will come in for him. We seemingly had a free run here which I don't expect next time.
It won't double as long as he doesn't renew his contract.

mu4c_20le

This is a tricky one because I can completely understand him wanting to stay during a world cup year, and we can't guarantee some kid from the dutch league to start over Maguire/Varane. Can only hope ETH work his magic and convince him personally.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
With the amount Varane is injured this guy would get his fair share of games for us. Also with the amount of games in the Europa league we will need strenngth in depth for rotating, City have about first team players for every position and they see plenty of game time.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
With the amount Varane is injured this guy would get his fair share of games for us. Also with the amount of games in the Europa league we will need strenngth in depth for rotating, City have about first team players for every position and they see plenty of game time.
Plus he can play RB immediately

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think we've got him in the bag, brother. All thanks to you yourself!
It won't double as long as he doesn't renew his contract.
Still, I think he's only going to get better and more teams will be in for him next year. Hopefully we get CL footy and, combined with ten Hag's pull, that'll be enough!

Chicharo

Vidic and Evra were signed in January 2006. and they didn't show much in the first 6 months, so one can look things that way. But ETH knows Timber, and everybody knows how shitty our defense is. No one can guarantee how someone will adapt to PL football, so if he is in a doubt let him stay at Ajax, I have no problem with that. I just hope we have a plan B (same goes for FDJ), and that is my biggest fear, not whether we will sign him or not

sglowrider

Vidic and Evra were signed in January 2006. and they didn't show much in the first 6 months, so one can look things that way. But ETH knows Timber, and everybody knows how shitty our defense is. No one can guarantee how someone will adapt to PL football, so if he is in a doubt let him stay at Ajax, I have no problem with that. I just hope we have a plan B (same goes for FDJ), and that is my biggest fear, not whether we will sign him or not
Are you saying that ETH is dumb and incompetent? No manager worth his salt wont have Plans B.C.D and E.
The only question one should have about having plans is whether one can execute them or pivot and the timing of that if there are external factors that impact the original plan.

Chicharo

Are you saying that ETH is dumb and incompetent? No manager worth his salt wont have Plans B.C.D and E.
The only question one should have about having plans is whether one can execute them or pivot and the timing of that if there are external factors that impact the original plan.
No I am not. First of all he is yet to prove that he is the second coming like we all hope. The second and probably the main reason are the Glazers and our incompetency regarding transfers. I think that's enough to make me worry.
I won't believe ETH has the upper hand regarding the transfers until I've seen it

Last edited:

sglowrider

No I am not. First of all he is yet to prove that he is the second coming like we all hope. The second and probably the main reason are the Glazers and our incompetency regarding transfers. I think that's enough to make me worry.
I won't believe ETH has the upper hand regarding the transfers until I see it
I was being facetious. ;)

I agree. In the back of my mind, I worry that the dutch managers or a lot of the dutch players especially the higher profile ones seem to fit better in La Liga than the PL. Either the jump is too big or the technical players struggle with the physicality of the PL.

Chicharo

I was being facetious. ;)
I know, I saw through it, I just had to let off steam, nothing personal :)
Boy, we are so desperate...

Now seriously, I agree, I never believed in those kind of connections. I am Dutch so I will bring 5 Dutch players. Nonetheless what I would give for a Jaap Stam now...

sglowrider

I know, I saw through it, I just had to let off steam, nothing personal :)
Boy, we are so desperate...

Now seriously, I agree, I never believed in those kind of connections. I am Dutch so I will bring 5 Dutch players. Nonetheless what I would give for a Jaap Stam now...
Like LVG at Barca.

But you don't blame managers. They scouted or played against them before moving to the new club. Fergie used to buy a lot of players that actually played against United/him too -- it's that the PL is more cosmopolitan.

Kaushal

If we were genuinely planning to buy him to play him at cb then I’m not bothered if we don’t get him this window. The RB is more of a pressing issue for us right now. Just save 30-40m and utilise it to sort out other positions. I know we have had difficulties at cb position but unlike other posters I don’t think we have bad centre backs. Under ten hag I’m sure we would be fine with Varane, Maguire, lindelof and one of Bailly, Jones, tuanzebe atleast for this coming season and yes I don’t think we are getting rid of all three.

Highfather_24

Carmo at Braga looks more the profile of CB we need. Physically imposing, aggressive. We need a Vidic to partner our passive collection of CBs that don't have leadership qualities.

Not bothered about this one.
seems like ETH prefers two ball playing defenders, if I’m not mistaken. De ligt/Timber and Blind for example.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Would it be prudent to sign him and loan him back a year, or would that explode too many heads?

Chicharo

Like LVG at Barca.

But you don't blame managers. They scouted or played against them before moving to the new club. Fergie used to buy a lot of players that actually played against United/him too -- it's that the PL is more cosmopolitan.
Nah that wasn't my intention. I don't blame managers (I said whom I blame). ETH surely knows the guy, but it still doesn't mean he will be successful here. Now that's where we need a normal management which of course we don't have. A guy doesn't want to come, ok, let's have a plan B, but I don't see we have it. Hell, I don't see we have a plan A except Frenkie

Status
Not open for further replies.