Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I like Timber, but I could see Liverpool signing him to play RB, TAA into the midfield and then they only need one proper midfielder to start in a 3 with TAA and Fabinho.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I think he will replace AWB who doesn't have the best of passing nor crossing. I was saying to my mate that to bring Jurrien in we could dispose of Maguire and AWB. Money in the bank and increase in quality of the rb.

Do many of other people think he could replace AWB and Maguire?.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think he will replace AWB who doesn't have the best of passing nor crossing. I was saying to my mate that to bring Jurrien in we could dispose of Maguire and AWB. Money in the bank and increase in quality of the rb.

Do many of other people think he could replace AWB and Maguire?.
Yes. He’s much better on the ball, and would be an ideal player to play as an inverted rb creating overloads in midfield.

If you could go back in time and bring a young Owen Hargreaves or Michael Essien to the modern day, they’d be the perfectl player for that role. Competent at rb, good delivery from out wide, amazing engine, and as they’d spend most of the time when the team was in possession, tucking in to midfield, you’d end up with such a high quality midfield overload. Phillip Lahm is another who’d be perfect for that role. Nowhere near as good, but Phil Neville would’ve been handy at it too.

I completely went off topic. But anyway, yes, I think Timber would be very good for us as an inverted RB. He can shift over to create 3 at the back when Shaw pushes up high, and he can tuck in during possession to occupy DM/CM, and potentially arrive late in the box like AWB had been. He’s much more technically gifted than AWB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would be in favour of us signing him. His ability on the ball along with his versatility to occupy more than one role would potentially improve us in the build up phase.

arthurka

I would be in favour of us signing him. His ability on the ball along with his versatility to occupy more than one role would potentially improve us in the build up phase.

DDG isn't hitting them passes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
DDG isn't hitting them passes
Pasveer is very good on the ball and even though the highlights are Jurrien Timber focused, they highlight how good and confident Pasveer is on the ball.

It's a pity he's nearing 40.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Yes. He’s much better on the ball, and would be an ideal player to play as an inverted rb creating overloads in midfield.

If you could go back in time and bring a young Owen Hargreaves or Michael Essien to the modern day, they’d be the perfectl player for that role. Competent at rb, good delivery from out wide, amazing engine, and as they’d spend most of the time when the team was in possession, tucking in to midfield, you’d end up with such a high quality midfield overload. Phillip Lahm is another who’d be perfect for that role. Nowhere near as good, but Phil Neville would’ve been handy at it too.

I completely went off topic. But anyway, yes, I think Timber would be very good for us as an inverted RB. He can shift over to create 3 at the back when Shaw pushes up high, and he can tuck in during possession to occupy DM/CM, and potentially arrive late in the box like AWB had been. He’s much more technically gifted than AWB.
I'd add John O'Shea

arthurka

Pasveer is very good on the ball and even though the highlights are Jurrien Timber focused, they highlight how good and confident Pasveer is on the ball.

It starts from the back. Nothing starts with what we got

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

He should change his name to PASSveer…

luke511

Caicedo has often been compared to Essien, who has recently played that role for Brighton.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I like him, but the more I've watched of him, the less I think he can play at CB at the top level. Unlike players like Blind and Martinez who have great positional play and general reading of the game that made up for their size, Timber is a bit all over the place.

I think his qualities make him more suited to an inverted RB or a de Jong-esque midfielder who drops between the two CBs in possession and advances the ball through his ball carrying abilities.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I like him, but the more I've watched of him, the less I think he can play at CB at the top level. Unlike players like Blind and Martinez who have great positional play and general reading of the game that made up for their size, Timber is a bit all over the place.

I think his qualities make him more suited to an inverted RB or a de Jong-esque midfielder who drops between the two CBs in possession and advances the ball through his ball carrying abilities.
I agree, I’m not convinced by his defending for a CB

Unam333

Timber is a very highly rated CB, young, versatile, good on the ball, Dutch international, very mature for his age, massive potential. Highly rated by Ten Hag and Van Gaal. With the Dutch national team he's ahead of De Ligt. He's also familiar with Ten Hag's tactics and his best performances are with Martinez.

Maybe his biggest weakness is his height. Not the tallest, so two, on average, short CB's will possibly invite alot of aerial pressure. Especially with De Gea in goal.

If we don't get Kim then Timber would be the ideal replacement. Would be a good stand-in for Varane and we know the latter is quite injury prone.

daba

Timber is a very highly rated CB, young, versatile, good on the ball, Dutch international, very mature for his age, massive potential. Highly rated by Ten Hag and Van Gaal. With the Dutch national team he's ahead of De Ligt. He's also familiar with Ten Hag's tactics and his best performances are with Martinez.

Maybe his biggest weakness is his height. Not the tallest, so two, on average, short CB's will possibly invite alot of aerial pressure. Especially with De Gea in goal.

If we don't get Kim then Timber would be the ideal replacement. Would be a good stand-in for Varane and we know the latter is quite injury prone.
Ideally we’d sell Maguire, AWB and Lindelof and sign both Kim and Timber, playing Timber as an inverted RB but additional CB cover.

I think it would be doable for a net spend of £25-30m and we’d be set for at least the next 3 years with that back line, until Varane would need to be replaced.

RB: Dalot / Timber
LB: Shaw / Malacia
CB: Martinez, Kim, Varane, Timber, Shaw

Realistically though we probably only sign 1, selling Maguire plus either AWB or Lindelof depending on who.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

I Can see why you think that. I’d definitely give him a season at RB to acclimatise to the PL, where his ability to move out of defence and operate in midfield would come to the fore. But I can easily see him excelling in a top team as a CB. He’s the sort of player who’d shine in a Tiki Taka system. He’s very highly rated by a lot of top coaches. At CB I feel like it was very much him or Martinez. Pairing them together in the PL would give me kittens I think, especially from an aerial perspective. But I’d love him for RB and cover at CB.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
It's better to save the money and get proper CB in Marc Guéhi or Levi Colwill
Both are genuine quality but underrated.
Gvardiol would be dream signing for any club but would probably break Maguire's transfer record.
By having Lisandro, the potential combo just invites unnecessary aerial pressure.

If the intent is to replace AWB, it's better to get proper a RB.
Finding good defender that can drop to that inverted position is not as easy as people imagine.
These specimens are scarce, the obvious ones will cost a bomb.
Pavard has fallen a bit to way side but he's still quality, easily better than AWB.
But he's definitely after last big payday, so that's that.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It's better to save the money and get proper CB in Marc Guéhi or Levi Colwill
Both are genuine quality but underrated.
Gvardiol would be dream signing for any club but would probably break Maguire's transfer record.
By having Lisandro, the potential combo just invites unnecessary aerial pressure.

If the intent is to replace AWB, it's better to get proper a RB.
Finding good defender that can drop to that inverted position is not as easy as people imagine.
These specimens are scarce, the obvious ones will cost a bomb.
Pavard has fallen a bit to way side but he's still quality, easily better than AWB.
But he's definitely after last big payday, so that's that.
Colwill and Gvardiol are both left-footed LCBs. So they wouldn’t be playing with Martínez but competing for the same spot.

Thiagoal

I think Stones has proved this season the importance of having a defender basically stepping into midfield to create an extra man. I thought he was immense at it yesterday. With Licha having that ability as well as someone like Timbre it would make a massive difference to our build up play (add in a composed keeper too)

Trex

I think Stones has proved this season the importance of having a defender basically stepping into midfield to create an extra man. I thought he was immense at it yesterday. With Licha having that ability as well as someone like Timbre it would make a massive difference to our build up play (add in a composed keeper too)
Its seem an in vogue tactics for a while, this season its Stones but previously it was a Fullback at city Cancelo and at Arsenal its Zinchenko usually moving central to support the holding midfielder in possession. We could utilize Shaw or Martinez who are very capable on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed. Timber can do the CB/midfield role as well as doing the inverted fullback role. He's good on the ball with the added bonus of being quick as well. I think he'd be a very good signing and he's still only 21 years of age.

Abraxas

I've always liked this one. Nothing not to like about it that I can see.

Young, adaptable, ETH loves him - he'd be a top signing that I could see in quite a few roles.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is why i always wanted Rice - to have a centre defender that steps in to midfield/ a midfielder that drops in to defence; a false cb/cdm.
Im not sure it has to be timber.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Why people seem to think that just because a defender is pretty decent on the ball, then it's automatically good to make him take up this hybrid role?
Pep commented that even prime G Neville and Micah wouldn't have quite cut it.
They don't have the required tools in the locker to play this role well.
God knows they are streets better of whoever United has in the rosters right now.
This idea of using Lisandro/Shaw to do this is going to end up in tears.
IMO, the key ingredient are "playmaking from the back and tempo management" not pace or "good on the ball".
Sure, the latters do no harm.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why people seem to think that just because a defender is pretty decent on the ball, then it's automatically good to make him take up this hybrid role?
God knows they are streets better of whoever United has in the rosters right now.
IMO, the key ingredient are "playmaking from the back and tempo management" not pace or "good on the ball".
Because being good on the ball allows you to be a good playmaker.

And it's normal for a coach who adheres to the positional play principles to look for tactical flexibility which opens up the potential for positional rotation at a good level.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, good on the ball is a necessary quality but its nowhere near enough.

You basically need this player not only to be a deep midfielder in possession and also have the nous to choose when to do it. So its got to be somebody with a really good sense of the system who will make good choices about when to abandon his place in the defensive line and move into the center of midfield. Then its also got to be somebody who instinctively scans his entire surroundings as a midfielder playing with his back to goal, which is hard to find in a defender who has played his entire career facing forward, and who knows how to receive under pressure, how to turn away from pressure, how to find pockets of space to begin with and move in concert with the other midfielders and in response to the pressing shape of the opposition, etc. This is all before we even get to their ability to pick a pass once they have the ball and are facing forward.

If you look at the players Pep has used in this role at City, its one who was trained as a midfielder originally (Zinchenko), a generationally skilled fullback (Cancelo), and a CB who from a very young age has stood out as remarkably capable in possession and who has been playing within his system for seven years (Stones). He is not taking more ordinary defenders with good technique and trying to turn them into midfielders.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You just need to understand your role within the positional play principles and be capable technically to excel in a altered role. It's about understanding the role by occupying zones and spaces which is coached on the training ground by a coach who adheres to the positional play principles. Positional play isn't complicated.

And Rinus Michels was doing stuff like the above before Pep was born.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Yeah, good on the ball is a necessary quality but its nowhere near enough.

You basically need this player not only to be a deep midfielder in possession and also have the nous to choose when to do it. So its got to be somebody with a really good sense of the system who will make good choices about when to abandon his place in the defensive line and move into the center of midfield. Then its also got to be somebody who instinctively scans his entire surroundings as a midfielder playing with his back to goal, which is hard to find in a defender who has played his entire career facing forward, and who knows how to receive under pressure, how to turn away from pressure, how to find pockets of space to begin with and move in concert with the other midfielders and in response to the pressing shape of the opposition, etc. This is all before we even get to their ability to pick a pass once they have the ball and are facing forward.

If you look at the players Pep has used in this role at City, its one who was trained as a midfielder originally (Zinchenko), a generationally skilled fullback (Cancelo), and a CB who from a very young age has stood out as remarkably capable in possession and who has been playing within his system for seven years (Stones). He is not taking more ordinary defenders with good technique and trying to turn them into midfielders.
You pretty much read my mind, was about to type about Zinchenko being originally midfielder and Cancelo.
TAA who have is enjoying good form in this hybrid role was originally a midfielder during his formative year.
Granted his defensive side is rather iffy, but the point still stands.
Lahm (the best there is) was also often deployed as right midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.