Just how good was Gabriel Batistuta?

SER19

Easily and unquestionably one of the best strikers of his generation. Had he left fiorentina for one of the top clubs earlier, he'd be in every single best team of last 25 years list. Didn't play CL football until he was 30. Did so brilliantly. But as a result never got those iconic big stage moments in CL

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Batistuta v Vieri v F. Inzaghi?

How would you all rank these great strikers in Serie A?

Handré1990

Batistuta's loyalty, although endearing, really did him a disservice.

He, and pre-injury Shearer were twinned in many ways - which made the '98 World Cup showdown all the more intriguing - but also their loyalty to clubs they were better than cost them countless silverware, goals and fonder eye in rememberance. Interestingly enough, both of them only have the one league title to show for illustrious levels of ability, and both were courted by United (alongside other top teams), only to stay where they were and become folk legends.

Batistuta was never the best striker in the world: Romario and then Ronaldo were in their primes during Bastituta's own prime, and then came Shevchenko - he wasn't the best forward in serie A, either beings as prime Baggio and then prime Del Piero plied their trades during his best years, too. He was, however, in the elite bracket alongside: the aforementioned two 9's; Shearer; Vieri; Raul; Weah, Suker and Stoichkov, all of whom any side that didn't have them would have been delighted with.

Batistuta was so highly regarded that the dream team charity game he played alongside Ronaldo is seen as one of the highlights of the decade:

In modern parlance. Batistuta would be snatched by a giant club and spend a career there and have a 1:1 goal ratio or something very close to it. It should be noted that he was scoring all those goals in Serie A whilst in a team some way off the ones challenging for the title: AC Milan, Juventus and Inter. As stated earlier, his goal tallies, with better service would have undoubtedly risen because his shooting, accuracy, intelligence and timing meant he made the best of service. which he proved with Argentina where his supporting cast were some level above what he had at Fiorentina.

His story is romantic in terms of neither selling out and being a god to the fans of Fiorentina, but also quite tragic in that football wrecked him (he has chronic pain in his legs and is said to struggle even walking moderate distances) and he has 'nothing' to show for it relative to what a striker of his standing usually does.

Irrespective; he's the kind of striker kids wished they could be like, but even in imitation, it's hard to shoot thunderbolts like he did, which gives an even greater sense of awe because his kind of shooting is seen a few times per generation or two, and you'll never forget it.
Excellent post! Really takes me back.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Batistuta>Vieri>Inzaghi

But Inzaghi isn't really close or even in the conversation he was at the same level than someone like Montella both very good strikers but someone like Trezeguet was a greater Serie A striker.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Were Real Madrid interesting in signing him the 90s as well?

I was very happy that he stayed loyal to Fiorentina though !

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Batistuta>Vieri>Inzaghi

But Inzaghi isn't really close or even in the conversation he was at the same level than someone like Montella both very good strikers but someone like Trezeguet was a greater Serie A striker.
Cheers man, I wasn't as much into the sport at that era, so I remember reading their names on channel 4 and hearing them coined as great strikers.. but I never knew how they ranked. Youtube highlights of all make them look so good!

Redcy

I think he was a lot of peoples favourite, he also came along during the Italian football heyday when you could watch him on TV. Always wanted a viola shirt with him on it. His ability to strike without giving much backlift for the power output was what made him hard to stop too

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Been thinking of which modern striker plays like Batistuta and I see your moniker. Prime Falcao
I'd say the very fist thing any forward has to have to be compared to Batistuta is a certified threat from 23-35 yards out. In the modern game, only C.Ronaldo meets that bar, off the bat where he is *always* a danger from that distance and has to be closed down immediately before he gets a clear sight of goal and the space to strike.

Of course, Ronaldo's game doesn't overlap with Batistuta's much, so it's not like you would watch one and immediately think of similarities to the other (as you would with pre-injury Shearer), but the Portguese has the default requirement for further investigation to at least get off the ground, where as others in the elite category from this generation, don't.

There's a lot more to Batistuta than that, but if you take away his long range shooting to make a comparison, you're no longer comparing like for like as it was intrinsic to his game and a component that was one of the first things sides meeting him had to cater for.

Vieri was every bit as good as Batistuta, when he wanted to be. The problem with Vieri is his application and interest in the game weren't where they should be and his nomadic ways and indiffernce were evidence of that.

A focused Vieri was par even with Batitusta, imo. If you were going to choose one from the two, I'd go Batistuta every time simply because he was more trustworthy and gave his all in every game where Vieri was like a tamed wild horse who sometimes reared up and fecked the game off for a bit who had no loyalty to any team and could bolt if the stable door was left open.

Inzaghi is a different proposition, one where you have to look solely at GPG and effectiveness as he's never going to earn plaudits for talent in the same way as the aforementioned.
Excellent post! Really takes me back.
Ta. Batistuta was a superstar in his own right during his time and I've got nothing but praise for him. His tribulations with his legs in retirement are a real shame.

Another way he is twinned with Shearer is in how they burst onto the scene. Check out the Batistuta of c. '91-'94 for what was basically a comic book of Roy Of The Rovers proportions!

Zlatattack

Scarily good. Him, Shearer and Salas were undeniably the best pure no.9s of their generation as far as I'm concerned.

Had a Ramadan brain fart, and forgot Ronaldo :lol:
I'm glad someone else remembers Salas, he was a great striker too. IDK if he was as good as Vieri and Batistuta though.

EwanI Ted

He was an excellent striker with good stats, but the thing about Batistuta was his whole mystique and style. He came to prominence in an era when foreign football wasn't quite as ubiquitous as it is now and you only saw players like him in glimpses on Football Italia. Foreigners in English football tended still to be North Europeans, with perhaps Italian players probably being the most exotic to play here. So when you saw this long haired, bullet shooting Argentine scoring sensational goals and running away screaming when he did, he just looked awesome.

Redcy

He was an excellent striker with good stats, but the thing about Batistuta was his whole mystique and style. He came to prominence in an era when foreign football wasn't quite as ubiquitous as it is now and you only saw players like him in glimpses on Football Italia. Foreigners in English football tended still to be North Europeans, with perhaps Italian players probably being the most exotic to play here. So when you saw this long haired, bullet shooting Argentine scoring sensational goals and running away screaming when he did, he just looked awesome.
His celebration was definitely part of it, He celebrated like you do as a kid, even after scoring so many goals

Redcy

I'm glad someone else remembers Salas, he was a great striker too. IDK if he was as good as Vieri and Batistuta though.
Good striker, scored lot more goals off the shoulder and had a short peak. Not in the same tier as Batigol though

Handré1990

I'd say the very fist thing any forward has to have to be compared to Batistuta is a certified threat from 23-35 yards out. In the modern game, only C.Ronaldo meets that bar, off the bat where he is *always* a danger from that distance and has to be closed down immediately before he gets a clear sight of goal and the space to strike.

Of course, Ronaldo's game doesn't overlap with Batistuta's much, so it's not like you would watch one and immediately think of similarities to the other (as you would with pre-injury Shearer), but the Portguese has the default requirement for further investigation to at least get off the ground, where as others in the elite category from this generation, don't.

There's a lot more to Batistuta than that, but if you take away his long range shooting to make a comparison, you're no longer comparing like for like as it was intrinsic to his game and a component that was one of the first things sides meeting him had to cater for.
Vieri was every bit as good as Batistuta, when he wanted to be. The problem with Vieri is his application and interest in the game weren't where they should be and his nomadic ways and indiffernce were evidence of that.

A focused Vieri was par even with Batitusta, imo. If you were going to choose one from the two, I'd go Batistuta every time simply because he was more trustworthy and gave his all in every game where Vieri was like a tamed wild horse who sometimes reared up and fecked the game off for a bit who had no loyalty to any team and could bolt if the stable door was left open.

Inzaghi is a different proposition, one where you have to look solely at GPG and effectiveness as he's never going to earn plaudits for talent in the same way as the aforementioned.

Ta. Batistuta was a superstar in his own right during his time and I've got nothing but praise for him. His tribulations with his legs in retirement are a real shame.

Another way he is twinned with Shearer is in how they burst onto the scene. Check out the Batistuta of c. '91-'94 for what was basically a comic book of Roy Of The Rovers proportions!
I was sitting on the floor in a new house not yet furnished watching when he collapsed in mid jog out of nowhere. His acl I think, ruined my Sunday! :(

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Been thinking of which modern striker plays like Batistuta and I see your moniker. Prime Falcao
Very good comparison, even though Falcao comes a bit short in some departments (long distance shooting, first and foremost), but I doubt that you can find a perfect replica of Batigol today.

He, and pre-injury Shearer were twinned in many ways
Agree. He is always linked with Shearer for me in many ways, even stylistically they're quite similar, although Batigol was slightly shinier/easy on the eye with his scissor/overhead kicks etc. An absolute menace for any defence to face — both could outmuscle anyone, were insanely clinical and brilliant in the air... and when the game didn't go the way they wanted, they could just unleash a thunderous shot from 30 meters that no keeper was going to able to save.

paulscholes18

Real top draw, could have walked into any team in the world. Should have moved in 93 when Fiorentina went down, then definitely should’ve forced a move in 95 when he was the top scorer in Serie a in 95, then he could have gone on to win much more like a player of his ability deserved

Eleven-Eighteen

He, and pre-injury Shearer were twinned in many ways - which made the '98 World Cup showdown all the more intriguing - but also their loyalty to clubs they were better than cost them countless silverware, goals and fonder eye in rememberance. Interestingly enough, both of them only have the one league title to show for illustrious levels of ability, and both were courted by United (alongside other top teams), only to stay where they were and become folk legends.

Batistuta was never the best striker in the world: Romario and then Ronaldo were in their primes during Bastituta's own prime, and then came Shevchenko - he wasn't the best forward in serie A, either beings as prime Baggio and then prime Del Piero plied their trades during his best years, too. He was, however, in the elite bracket alongside: the aforementioned two 9's; Shearer; Vieri; Raul; Weah, Suker and Stoichkov, all of whom any side that didn't have them would have been delighted with.

Batistuta was so highly regarded that the dream team charity game he played alongside Ronaldo is seen as one of the highlights of the decade:

In modern parlance. Batistuta would be snatched by a giant club and spend a career there and have a 1:1 goal ratio or something very close to it. It should be noted that he was scoring all those goals in Serie A whilst in a team some way off the ones challenging for the title: AC Milan, Juventus and Inter. As stated earlier, his goal tallies, with better service would have undoubtedly risen because his shooting, accuracy, intelligence and timing meant he made the best of service. which he proved with Argentina where his supporting cast were some level above what he had at Fiorentina.

His story is romantic in terms of neither selling out and being a god to the fans of Fiorentina, but also quite tragic in that football wrecked him (he has chronic pain in his legs and is said to struggle even walking moderate distances) and he has 'nothing' to show for it relative to what a striker of his standing usually does.

Irrespective; he's the kind of striker kids wished they could be like, but even in imitation, it's hard to shoot thunderbolts like he did, which gives an even greater sense of awe because his kind of shooting is seen a few times per generation or two, and you'll never forget it.
Brilliant video. Thanks

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I was sitting on the floor in a new house not yet furnished watching when he collapsed in mid jog out of nowhere. His acl I think, ruined my Sunday! :(
Hmm.. I'm guessing you don't know of how bad things have been for him since retiring?

I remember reading about it some years back and this thread reminded me:

The tortured story of the understated genius that was Gabriel Batistuta

“I wet myself in bed, with the toilet three metres away, because I didn’t want to get up.”
These could be the words of a friend describing the morning after a big session, but they are instead those of the great Gabriel Batistuta, describing the plaguing injury troubles he suffered as a result of his prolific career.

“I saw Pistorius and said: “That’s my solution.”” Don’t worry; our beloved Batigol never contemplated killing his wife, but the former Fiorentina striker did consider a (far less) shocking course of action.

“I went to the doctor and told him “Cut off my legs”. He looked at me and told me I was crazy. I insisted, I couldn’t do it anymore; I was constantly in a bad mood. I can’t describe the pain, it’s impossible to convey the pain.”

Batistuta was eventually persuaded against the idea, and is now feeling more comfortable, but there can be no doubting the sacrifice he’s made to write his name in the history books.

https://www.theversed.com/39995/gabriel-batistuta-fiorentina-world-cup-goals/#.dAYiDu0rH8

Agree. He is always linked with Shearer for me in many ways, even stylistically they're quite similar, although Batigol was slightly shinier/easy on the eye with his scissor/overhead kicks etc. An absolute menace for any defence to face — both could outmuscle anyone, were insanely clinical and brilliant in the air... and when the game didn't go the way they wanted, they could just unleash a thunderous shot from 30 meters that no keeper was going to able to save.
Yes, true about the acrobatics. What people tend not to associate with either of them is pace, but as youngsters, they were both considerably faster than in their mid 20's. Batistuta and Cannigia flying down the pitch in unison, with their hair streaming behind them stopped being a thing after '94 and Batistuta started to play more like a striker more focused just around the d and its surrounding area. He was still an awesome sight, but the younger, more mobile player was ridiculous from further out because of his running and use of pace.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good clip, never saw his early career in Serie A. Did he nutmeged Franco Baresi before scoring a goal? Wow.. thats was a criminal to disrespect one of the greatest defender of all time.
Yes. Although that was a 36-year-old Baresi and worth highlighting that Batistuta never scored against Baresi in their head-to-heads earlier in their careers. But the context that he was playing for Fiorentina who were all over the place during the 1990s is massive when you make the modern day comparisons. As @Fortitude says today he is snapped up by an elite club and maintains a 1:1 games-to-goal ratio throughout his career. Imagine he goes up top in Lippi's Juventus in the mid-1990s and they quite likely win 3 consecutive Champions Leagues.

As much as his decision to stay at Fiorentina for so long has affected his trophy cabinet back in his farm in Argentina, part of the appeal around Batistuta is how brilliant he was despite playing for a generally midtable club. He's warmly remembered on that basis and it's interesting we recall his Viola performances yet nobody has really touched on his eventual move to Roma to win the title. That's where he received some of that overdue glory but it's his showings earlier in his career that really capture the imagination.

Handré1990

Hmm.. I'm guessing you don't know of how bad things have been for him since retiring?

I remember reading about it some years back and this thread reminded me:

The tortured story of the understated genius that was Gabriel Batistuta

“I wet myself in bed, with the toilet three metres away, because I didn’t want to get up.”

These could be the words of a friend describing the morning after a big session, but they are instead those of the great Gabriel Batistuta, describing the plaguing injury troubles he suffered as a result of his prolific career.

“I saw Pistorius and said: “That’s my solution.”” Don’t worry; our beloved Batigol never contemplated killing his wife, but the former Fiorentina striker did consider a (far less) shocking course of action.

“I went to the doctor and told him “Cut off my legs”. He looked at me and told me I was crazy. I insisted, I couldn’t do it anymore; I was constantly in a bad mood. I can’t describe the pain, it’s impossible to convey the pain.”

Batistuta was eventually persuaded against the idea, and is now feeling more comfortable, but there can be no doubting the sacrifice he’s made to write his name in the history books.

https://www.theversed.com/39995/gabriel-batistuta-fiorentina-world-cup-goals/#.dAYiDu0rH8

Yes, true about the acrobatics. What people tend not to associate with either of them is pace, but as youngsters, they were both considerably faster than in their mid 20's. Batistuta and Cannigia flying down the pitch in unison, with their hair streaming behind them stopped being a thing after '94 and Batistuta started to play more like a striker more focused just around the d and its surrounding area. He was still an awesome sight, but the younger, more mobile player was ridiculous from further out because of his running and use of pace.
I read about it a couple of years ago, how he was considering amputation. That particular injury I was talking about just stuck with me though, for some reason. I couldn’t have been more than 9 or 10 and it made an impression watching one of the toughest fotballers cry out in pain while tears were streaming down his cheeks. It was extra strange to me then because of the situation, he wasn’t close to anybody else, he just fell down like he’d been shot.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

I see alot of posters asking who he was similar too, and Drogba springs to mind for me. Absolute rocket of a shot from outside the box, good with back to goal, good in the air and can take a man on. Neither blessed with blistering pace but both quick enough over the first 5-10 yards to make space. Both scored a variety of goals but tended mostly to go for power.

mancan92

I see alot of posters asking who he was similar too, and Drogba springs to mind for me. Absolute rocket of a shot from outside the box, good with back to goal, good in the air and can take a man on. Neither blessed with blistering pace but both quick enough over the first 5-10 yards to make space. Both scored a variety of goals but tended mostly to go for power.
Actually a very good comparison only thing is batigol was a far better goal scorer than Drogba.

DanClancy

United should have signed him the summer Cantona retired, for the next 4 or 5 years he'd have scored 40 goals a season. A brilliant player who like Shearer scored a lot of goals that weren't even great opportunities.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I hate it when someone suddenly makes a thread about what I was thinking just a few days ago.
Batistuta was the best Serie A striker I ever seen (Ronaldo was better in his overall career).

Robert Lewandowski is the closest player imo.

Lj82

I remember that all star game. They were like playing on God mode

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let me put it this way - back in those time, Big Pete scare of no one, especially in one on one situation, every strikers in the world would shite their pants when facing him, except Batistuta.

mancan92

Costacurta having a nightmare on those first two goals. I dread to think of the reaction if any of our defenders did that. Just shows that everybody has off days, even the very best.
Well yes when playing against one of the greatest strikers of the last 30 years not barely Premier league level players.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Many strikers in this generation would have been supporting strikers in the 90s because these days you need to linkup, press and do other stuffs,
I would actually say Cristiano has the closest skill set to batigol. Can score every type of goal and extremely deadly left or right foot with great power.
Ronaldo hardly plays as a Center forward like Batigol
Not even close,

Drogba has the build of Batistuta but didnt score enough and a lot of times, he looks to knockdown for his midfielders, For Batigol, any 40% chance he hammers it. almost everytime Batistuta gets a chance he puts his laces through it and has unreal accuracy

I remember that goal vs Man Utd, Arsenal and the one vs Barcelona where he told the Nou Camp to shut up

Cavani might be a good shout height, build, hair but his conversion rate is terrible

mancan92

Many strikers in this generation would have been supporting strikers in the 90s because these days you need to linkup, press and do other stuffs,

Ronaldo hardly plays as a Center forward like Batigol

Not even close,

Drogba has the build of Batistuta but didnt score enough and a lot of times, he looks to knockdown for his midfielders, For Batigol, any 40% chance he hammers it. almost everytime Batistuta gets a chance he puts his laces through it and has unreal accuracy

I remember that goal vs Man Utd, Arsenal and the one vs Barcelona where he told the Nou Camp to shut up

Cavani might be a good shout height, build, hair but his conversion rate is terrible
I was talking about in terms of his attributes. Not that they played in the same position. They have very similar abilities.

RooneyLegend

About to post that. He was basically Drogba with an insatiable appetite for goals. Think Drogba 09/10 over an extended period. Had he moved here he'd have reached levels of Fame few players have reached in the past 30 years.

BestRed

Absolute beast of a player, lethal both inside and outside the box. Would have loved to seen him here.

eltigreFalcao

A world class player for sure. He was one of the most rounded number 9s there has ever been. Smart and clinical inside the box and devastating anywhere up to 30 yards. Usually the harder you hit the ball, the less control you have, but Batigol had such accuracy even when he was leathering it at pull pelt.

The video above playing up front with R9 is a thing of beauty. They’d never played together for club or country but they look like they’re telepathically linked. Two strikers who just knew how to make and score all types of goals.
Dear me, what a pleassure to watch it is

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Prime Drogba in 2009/10 when he scored 37 in 44 is the best comparison. Long hair, iconic celebration, physically dominant and lots of goals.

El Jefe

Prime Drogba in 2009/10 when he scored 37 in 44 is the best comparison. Long hair, iconic celebration, physically dominant and lots of goals.
Exactly who I was thinking of. Scoring goals of all types whether in the air, long range screamers or free kicks.