Just Stop Oil

Isn't it the job of a good news organization that serves the public to have them on prime time explaining to the whole country what they want to achieve?

Do they go on tv? Are they invited? Do they decline?
They've done a few interviews but they rarely go well, wouldn't surprise me if they avoid it now. The ones I've seen they've been mostly upper class entitled students descending into a rant.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
They've done a few interviews but they rarely go well, wouldn't surprise me if they avoid it now. The ones I've seen they've been mostly upper class entitled students descending into a rant.
Indigo Rumbletumble certainly was an experience.

redshaw

They should change the name to at least "Stop new oil drilling"

Perhaps then the public can understand right away what they should look into and could lead to public pressure building up on the government to stop these new deals.

Gehrman

That's me buying a gas guzzler then
Well to be fair she didnt go by a private jet, so the emissions are spread out between the passengers truth be told unless i didnt work Eissen's calculator properly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well to be fair she didnt go by a private jet, so the emissions are spread out between the passengers truth be told unless i didnt work Eissen's calculator properly.
To be fair to her, planes would go without her and still use polluting fuels, airlines will even fly passengerless flights to not lose the route.

Just Stop Oil is about getting governments to change policy towards oil rather than stopping individuals. It looks bad for her but a person who lives as green as possible will barely make a dent in offsetting all the pollution by industry

Gehrman

To be fair to her, planes would go without her and still use polluting fuels, airlines will even fly passengerless flights to not lose the route.

Just Stop Oil is about getting governments to change policy towards oil rather than stopping individuals. It looks bad for her but a person who lives as green as possible will barely make a dent in offsetting all the pollution by industry
I honestly think if you are that extreme you have to embody the life style you envision everyone else taking. I get that JSO is officially about stop drilling for oil and gas, but everwhere i look its the same people at large at least who founded and are championing EXR, insulate britain and JSO.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The old "oh you care about human rights? where was your phone made?". Touche...

Gehrman

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ex-librarian you say? I feel like such a dupe for supporting her actions and believing in climate change.

"That extreme", she threw some orange confetti. That JSO, Extinction Rebellion, Insulate Britain et. al. have a somewhat comfy, middle class support base and how this creates some inherent contradictions, has been a glaringly obvious observation forever, even amongst supportive voices. Of course this latest "gotcha" piece is meant for the dribbling troglodyte demographic that hate libraries, to give them another banal point to gum up the debate.

As for measuring one persons actions against another in the moral profit/loss calculator. I would say that flying in a plane is not worse than being George Osborne and neither does flying in a plane deplete ones morality reserve sufficiently to prevent them from being justified in throwing orange bits of paper at George Osborne. Hell, someone could pour agent orange over Georgie boy and his family every day for the rest of his life and Osborne would still be in the red.

Sweet Square

Tbh I’m fully expecting in about 10 years time a private eye article telling us the majority of Just Stop Oil were on the payroll of Mi5. Which admittedly will make for some future shite Bond films.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I do think it's a little lame when someone committed to these kinds of actions (I know she's not a part of JSO but I'm assuming the stunt was eco related) goes on a big holiday like that, but at the same time someone going on a three week holiday 4 years ago isn't particularly noteworthy. The Sun article (I had to choose between them and the Daily Mail to find the story so don't blame me for having to go to that site) is telling as well. It just descends into a character assassination over stuff unrelated to the stunt. I also agree with Dumbo when they said

As for measuring one persons actions against another in the moral profit/loss calculator. I would say that flying in a plane is not worse than being George Osborne and neither does flying in a plane deplete ones morality reserve sufficiently to prevent them from being justified in throwing orange bits of paper at George Osborne. Hell, someone could pour agent orange over Georgie boy and his family every day for the rest of his life and Osborne would still be in the red.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I guess everyone wearing a red cap is cnut nowadays...

PSV

If she'd put in just a tiny bit more effort she'd be in the running for one of the awards for those voice cracks.

Gehrman

If she'd put in just a tiny bit more effort she'd be in the running for one of the awards for those voice cracks.
Well everything else aside she certainly made a gaffe when she asked "for how much longer are you going to keep this journalistic objectivity up?".

Last edited:

Eriku

Well everything else aside she certainly made a gaffe when she asked "for how much longer are you going to keep this journalistic objectivity up?".
She put those words in air quotes, so it’s clear she’s not saying actual journalistic objectivity is a bad thing.

Gehrman

Out of curiosity does anyone with knowledge of this painting know why a suffragette slashed it?

Sweet Square

Out of curiosity does anyone with knowledge of this painting know why a suffragette slashed it?
The painting took at least five slashes with a meat chopper. Its attacker, Mary Richardson, a suffragette who later became a disciple of the fascist Oswald Mosley, was protesting against the arrest of Emmeline Pankhurst. "Slasher Mary", as the press dubbed her, later admitted that it wasn't just the picture's value - £45,000 in 1906 - that made it a target. It was "the way men visitors gaped at it all day long".

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26491421.amp

Eriku

Quite douchey, but also quite telling that people get more worked up by their disruptions than they do by policies that will feck up conditions for everybody on the planet in the not-so-distant future.

Gehrman

Somewhat interesting and brief article from one of the funders of JSO, albeit stating the obvious. I agree that "Just Vote" would probably be more impactful at the end of the day. Apologies if it has already been posted.