Just what the hell has happened this season?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I think sometimes there’s a post peak lull that happens when the players have climbed their mountain and are coming down the other side. I think losing the Europa league final took a lot out of them, then the English players went and lost the euros in the same way. I don’t think they’ve ever really recovered. Shaw, Maguire, Rashford, Sancho have all been underwhelming to awful.

If we’d won the Europa league I think that momentum would have carried us a lot further.
I agree.

Grey Rider

Mate, I was at the game.

Being a cup game on a Friday night, there were loads of fans that brought their kids. Me included. And a lot had come from overseas and made a weekend away out of it. We were in the ground for 4 hours and due to an issue with the tills, and the clubs decision not to accept cash, nobody could get a drink or a bite to eat for the entire time.

There were people drinking water from the taps in the toilets! They were actually queuing up with paper cups that they had begged for from the club staff.

You can go to a Sunday league game and get a bacon butty and a cup of tea from and old lady at a serving hatch, but MANCHESTER UNITED in 2022, cannot achieve the very basics of hospitality.

Can you imagine those people who got on a plane from another country, booked hotels, paid over the odds for tickets. Do you think that they will be coming back here in a hurry?

Middleborough fans were laughing at us!

I am fuming. Doubt that I will re-new my season ticket. The place is an absolute shambles.
The club should have given away food and drink for free in my opinion if it was simply a case of credit card machines not working. Or was the power out so that nothing could be cooked? They could have still given out crisps and chocolate and cold drinks for free.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
To be fair the feeling over the summer was overwhelmingly positive but yeah, we were clearly one midfield signing away from perfectly upgrading our team given that all of our best performances were to continue their great run of form.
It felt like we carried the dross of much of May and April straight into the new season. I was positive about Sancho and Varanasi, not really Ronaldo, but overall it felt like the 'sort the midfield next season message was basically us settling for top four push again from the off.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We don’t have a fear factor anymore, and that has a knock on effect on the confidence of teams playing us. Its basically a win-win for lesser sides to play Manchester United at the moment. It’s still a great scalp to beat us, so they raise their game (as they’ve alwasy done) but they now aren’t even nervous of the possibility we could embarrass them, as we almost certainly won’t, so most teams now play us without any fear and a lot of confidence, especially at OT.

It’s only one of many factors, and not why we’re ultimately shit, but it’s a contributive one to why it seems to pour when it rains. It’ll likely only take winning something significant to overturn that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Me! I mean come on, we finished second last year and with the signings made in the summer you would have thought we'd get closer to the top, not further behind.

It's been a trainwreck of a season.
We were second but 12 points behind and City had coasted for a while. Obviously Liverpool had an odd year and Chelsea were a mess, but the midfield issue meant we'd tread water.
I did think comfortable 2-4th though, obviously not this perfect storm of shite.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Bad recruitment. I didn't think we'd be near the title personally.

Wheato

The club should have given away food and drink for free in my opinion if it was simply a case of credit card machines not working. Or was the power out so that nothing could be cooked? They could have still given out crisps and chocolate and cold drinks for free.
Everything was cooked and ready to go, the card reader was down so they couldn't take payment. They pulled the shutters down at every serving counter. It was carnage.

L1nk

Very mediocre players being able to get away with whatever for multiple seasons in a row instead of being replaced by quality

Red_Aaron

It's not as bad as it seems, the biggest issue is we're somewhat aimless at the moment, there's so much off the field distraction and so little on the field to play for we're stuck in some awful middle ground where nothing matters

The right coach can make a world of difference. We simply have to get it right in the summer.oI hope RR is a better spotter of coaching talent than he is a coach himself because we're a non entity style wise under him so far

Laurencio

I think we tried to fit Ronaldo in, changing what worked for us last season when we came second and got to the final of the EL.

aided by players coming out of contract soon not buying into ole anymore or his interim replacement

a serious lack of forward planning. Sell Lingard at his peak last summer. Take the money Everton offered for Romero. If Pogba turns down a new contract 3 times move on, don’t keep offering more and more money. Don’t buy players you have no interest in playing.
It really isn't much more complicated than this. Add to that, we didn't strengthen midfield in January despite the top 4 race being wide open. Decision-making both on and off the pitch is seriously lacking.

We keep neglecting the midfield and that causes us to lose control of matches we really should not be losing control of.

Dr. StrangeHate

Bad managerial appointments and then sticking with them is the main thing. Think about it at which successful club would Ole have survived so long.

City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Bayern would have fired him way before Bruno was brought in. The club accepts mediocrity, the players have accepted it too.

Bad managerial appointments and then sticking with them is the main thing. Think about it at which successful club would Ole have survived so long.

City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Bayern would have fired him way before Bruno was brought in. The club accepts mediocrity, the players have accepted it too.
Great points. I keep saying how are the players supposed to have a winners mentality when the board clearly is over the moon with top 4? The players must feel hopeless when we loose 5 0 to Liverpool and their bosses don’t even bat an eye lid. The board has shown no ruthless intervention, no matter how much we get embarrassed or destroyed by opposition.The low standards are now set in stone.

K Stand Knut

Before the start of the season everyone thought we'd be challenging for the title this season, maybe not winning it but certainly challenging and he were are in February having seen

Out of the league cup in the 3rd round at home to West Ham

Beaten 0-5 at home to Liverpool

Out of the FA Cup in the 4th round at home to Championship Middlesbrough

19 points off the top of the PL table

Bar at opening day win against Leeds it's probably not a stretch to say the best week to be a United support this season was the 3 games where we had an interim interim manager in Carrick

So WTF has happened?
any United fan that thought we should or would challenge for the title is an idiot!!

we were, and remain, so far from being anywhere near title challengers, it is almost laughable.

We then sacked a manager who had done his job and got us as far as he was ever going to take us and replaced him with a manager who is the polar opposite of what Ole was trying to instil.

Couple all of that with the fact that all of our players bar one or two are not good enough and a number of the players just don’t give a shit and there was only ever one result.

Add in an equally laughable transfer policy and I’m not quite sure how any sane person would come to the conclusion that we would, or deserve to, challenge for the title this season.

The Dane

Several facets to it imo.

In my opinion we had been decent under Solskjaer. Those who were against him from the start felt it was a told you so moment but his downfall started really was when circumstance/signings meant he needed to move away from his counterattacking brand to possession based stuff which he clearly had no strength in coaching. Was rightly sacked. that started the bad results.

We then appoint some mad german professor everyone wants to pretend they have heard of and is an amazing manager. He’s done average at best from a favourable run of fixtures and is serving up the same shit that got LVG fired. Passing the ball round the back and sideways all game is not going to win matches but everyone wants to swoon over possession stats as if we ‘control’ matches. He will obviously have to stay til end of season but I will be surprised if we make top 4. Then the new manager or players cant even be offered cl football.

and then theres the players. Most of our key players are in dogshit form or playing down their contract or on the way to jail. Theres also no work ethic- Phil Jones wasa revelation against Wolves just for coming in and showing some effort and desire and getting stuck in. You expect that from any league 2 player.

still a mountain to climb here
Agree and I think it is clear that it will take minimum 2-3 years of rebuilding under a world class manager before we can even begin to challenge for a major trophy (PL or CL) and I am not sure that a player like Rice will commit himself and his career to such a risky project. We might be in a situation where we are unable to attract the best players because they don’t believe in the club and those we can attract are overpaid mercenaries motivated only by the large salaries we pay.

redshaw

Had us down for 4th at best this season and we can still do that.

Not only did Pool bounce back when they had their defenders available, we saw Chelsea under Tuchel become one of the top form teams, they were down in 11th under Lampard but shot up the table with Tuchel. We finished second but really we were the 4th best at the end, it was only going to continue in the new season.

I remember saying how I hope Ronaldo doesn't come here thinking we're a top 2 team and wants to jump out of the Juve mess as we'll be in a top 4 battle like Juve, low and behold we're just like them last season trying to claw back into 4th.

United finished with 74 points as well. We've never been in shape to challenge for a title and 74 points would leave you 5th not that long ago. We relied on comeback after comeback playing terrible football for 80mins with bursts of counters. We'd start the games so poorly every time and concede. We were and still are so far from challenging.

Also couldn't see Ole lasting long with the expectations of Ronaldo and Varane. You need a strong coach and we've capsized under the weight, some players have not liked the arrivals and didn't want to work hard around Ronaldo.

GlasgowCeltic

any United fan that thought we should or would challenge for the title is an idiot!!

we were, and remain, so far from being anywhere near title challengers, it is almost laughable.

We then sacked a manager who had done his job and got us as far as he was ever going to take us and replaced him with a manager who is the polar opposite of what Ole was trying to instil.

Couple all of that with the fact that all of our players bar one or two are not good enough and a number of the players just don’t give a shit and there was only ever one result.

Add in an equally laughable transfer policy and I’m not quite sure how any sane person would come to the conclusion that we would, or deserve to, challenge for the title this season.
What was it he was trying to instil?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is this our worst season since Fergie left?

In hindsight, I actually don't think Moyes' season is the worst, all things being relative. He achieved to his managerial standard, and at least we had a somewhat exciting CL run.

The only one that comes close to this is Jose's last/Ole's first, but even then we were playing entertaining football once Jose was out.

I fully expect us to crash out of the CL next round and slip out of top 4 contention with things as they are.

Add to this the various off-field events and some earth-shattering results, and I imagine you're having to go back to the 70s/80s for a worse season.

GazTheLegend

A mixture of everything. Signings not working, players not working hard enough, friction in the squad, contracts running down, bad luck with some decisions, bad performances mixed in with some bad luck in games at key moments like last night. We weren't bad last night - we were good. If we play like that every game we would be fine. But we absolutely haven't played like that every game. Fred was awful when he came on again and a reminder how low our standards are now if he's starting for us.

ShinjiNinja26

This might be the worst I’ve felt since Sir Alex retired. Just because of the level of expectation at the start of the season to how bad it’s actually panned out. Absolute garbage. It’s a never ending nightmare full of false dawns. We’re stuck in our very own boom bust cycle and it’s fecking terrible.

Shark

@NotShark

This is what many people religiously backing Ole failed to understand. Allowing a manager that clearly isn't working or good enough to stay long past his failures is ridiculously damaging. Why do people think Chelsea have still been winning titles despite their managerial merry-go-round. They are decisive and waste little time if it isn't working.

mu4c_20le

This is what many people religiously backing Ole failed to understand. Allowing a manager that clearly isn't working or good enough to stay long past his failures is ridiculously damaging. Why do people think Chelsea have still been winning titles despite their managerial merry-go-round. They are decisive and waste little time if it isn't working.
And this is what people with Chelsea as their second team don't understand. Chopping and changing managers is part of the reason why we're completely directionless as a club. If we'd stuck with LVG and then followed the plan instead of selling our souls to lure Jose over, then Ole wouldn't even have been in the picture in the first place.

Josep Dowling

Clearly the problem is the owners and the structure. Not making the tough decisions at the right time. Delaying the sacking of managers until it’s get to the point of no return. Buying the players based on advertising revenues over the consideration of benefiting the team, and how they fit into a manager’s system. Allowing the manager to control all aspect of transfers so when they get sacked there is no continuity in the squad. A ‘rebuild’ being require every 3 years because of this. Consistency appointing inept people with no experience in their roles. The latest being Darren Fletcher. Appointed for a strategic role, now sitting on the bench as a coach. Woodward overstaying his welcome, only for him to be replaced with his best mate. Prioritising Ronaldo over a much needed CM. Offering contract extensions to undeserving players. Offer above market rate salaries so we can’t get rid of players. Not selling players at the right time. Letting players go on holiday midway through the season.

I could on and on. This all goes back to board level. If the owners actually bothered being involved with the club’s day to day running something might change. They don’t care. They live in the US. They inherited the club from their father. Providing the asset value of the club is maintained the Glazers won’t put the correct people or investment in place for things to change. They need ousting out of the club but it’s need a large proportion of fans to revolt. We got it last season in part due to the super league decision. Suddenly Ronaldo arrives and that’s all forgotten about.

Baneofthegame

Should of invested in a midfielder, feel like Ronaldo at times limits how we can play, Mason, injuries etc.

It’s basically been a continual list of wrongs, probably the only positive has been Dave.

Shark

@NotShark
And this is what people with Chelsea as their second team don't understand.[/B] Chopping and changing managers is part of the reason why we're completely directionless as a club. If we'd stuck with LVG and then followed the plan instead of selling our souls to lure Jose over, then Ole wouldn't even have been in the picture in the first place.
Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Stating a fact doesn't mean one likes anything to do with a club. They have won more titles and trophies overall over the past decade despite changing managers constantly. Stuck by LVG are you having a laugh? :lol: just because we've fecked up numerous appointments in a row doesn't mean we have to start rewriting history. If Klopp was here instead of Liverpool I'd guarantee you we'd be in their very position. We've not hired a single manager in his prime since SAF's retirement. They were either long past their best or simply not good enough to manage a club of this magnitude.

Goku1983

I expected us to be comfortably top 4 with the signings we made. We had/have a much better squad than last season I think its a combination of terrible management from Ole injuries at wrong times especially Varane a real lack of team effort and of course our midfield is still garbage.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We sold Dan James. Big mistake.
Do people actually believe it's a coincidence our season went to hell after we sold him?

mu4c_20le

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Stating a fact doesn't mean one likes anything to do with a club. They have won more titles and trophies overall over the past decade despite changing managers constantly. Stuck by LVG are you having a laugh? :lol: just because we've fecked up numerous appointments in a row doesn't mean we have to start rewriting history. If Klopp was here instead of Liverpool I'd guarantee you we'd be in their very position. We've not hired a single manager in his prime since SAF's retirement. They were either long past their best or simply not good enough to manage a club of this magnitude.
We can either roll the dice and hope to win the lottery, or we should have stuck by someone with a solid philosophy, in this case LVG yes. Do you know why Chelsea are able to so quickly adapt to any top manager? 15 years ago a certain special one built the foundations for them, and carved an identity. They are a much more tactical, disciplined, and now we see a professional side than us. Jose was the wrong appointment, Ole was not even considered at all and was a YOLO decision from Woody. Guaranteed we'd be in a better position now if we stuck with LVG for another year before hiring someone modern with a similar philosophy, not the bitter one.

Jezpeza

Agree and I think it is clear that it will take minimum 2-3 years of rebuilding under a world class manager before we can even begin to challenge for a major trophy (PL or CL) and I am not sure that a player like Rice will commit himself and his career to such a risky project. We might be in a situation where we are unable to attract the best players because they don’t believe in the club and those we can attract are overpaid mercenaries motivated only by the large salaries we pay.
yes It could become a vicous cycle and leave us with another squad of mediocre mercenaries who jog about doing not a lot. Now seems as good a time as ever to get some youth heavily involved - the likes of Elanga and Mjebri have shown quality already and need some experience. With our key players in shocking form and us so non competitive that every game between now and may may as well be a friendly might be nice to see some players with desire on the pitch.

r1z3mu

What happened this season? No, it should be what happened season before and season before that season and so on.

The same thing - brilliant accountants who think they are great at football running one of the biggest football clubs in the world. Ole, Ronaldo, AWB, DVB and so on. Bad signing after bad signing. Hundreds of millions waisted. That's what happened.

Marwood

It's a head scratcher but one thing is for certain, it didn't start this season. The problems started around Jan 2021.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What happened is the logical continuation of one of the biggest swindle jobs in football history.

Delusional people believing a few token gestures has let the Glazers off the hook and now we're set for a decade or so of pathetic football results and, at best, flat lining while they drain the club and sell it for a profit when we solidify a status as a mid-table club.

Longshanks

We attempted to move away from our strength of counter attacking to trying to be dominant in games playing with a higher line taking more risks and it didn't work we conceded too many chances without making enough.

I still always felt at the start of the season that Liverpool and City were ahead of us and we were about the same as Chelsea in terms of talent and ability. Felt we would finish 3/4 still think we will finish 3/4.

Dont think you can read to much into the cup defeats. Last night was a classic cupset, should of rolled them over somehow missed a glut of chances and some bad luck with ther goal and than the lottery of the penalties. Many times we have been knocked out of the FA Cup in similar fashion its just happens in that competition for some reason. And going out to a decent PL side in the league cup with the second string isnt really much to get in a fuss about.

Still in the champions league, don't rule us out of that yet. Feel like we are due a lucky win in that competition after all the times we have been knocked out undeservadly over the years.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lack of planning and structure once again caught up to us. A lot of the lads Ole signed have been poor, same as the managers before him, the squad has been ‘trimmed’ again by Rangnick and will probably be filled with more rubbish by whoever takes over next. A lot of our supposed best players simply aren’t nearly as good as we thought they were.

hobbers

We hired a terrible manager with no overarching philosophy or coaching ability, signed really poorly and hoarded players who weren't good enough.