Juventus in NEW financial scandal

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The money received from the sale can be budgeted for the totality immediately, for the cost of the purchase this is amortised for the duration of the player's contract. So you can temporarily fix the balance

For example
Danilo sold for 60
Cancelo signed for 60 with a contract of 5 yrs

Balance
Revenues 2021: 60
Expenditures 2021: 60/5=12
Result= +48 (instead of the reality which is zero)

Balance sheet fixed for 2021

So they fixed the balance sheet with 300 million of operations like this
That's not actually fraudulent in itself though, is it? So where does the fraud come into it?

::sonny::

That's not actually fraudulent in itself though, is it? So where does the fraud come into it?
Not easy to demonstrate it in a trial, but in this case there are phone interceptions with the confirmation of this (where they said they needed to do this because they are in the shit). Higuain and Ronaldo deal destroyed them + also De ligt, Ramsey and Rabiot deal

They made hundreds of operations like this for 300 million, they call it mirror operations
it is always swap deals for the same amount in and out

+ In this case seems that there are also fake invoices, fake statement to the investors, and they call it as an accounting fraud system

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Not easy to demonstrate in a trial, but in this case there are phone interceptions with the confirmation of this

They made hundreds of operations like this for 300 million, they call it mirror operations
it is always for the same amount in and out

+ In this case seems that there are also fake invoices, fake statement to the investors, and they call it as an accounting fraud system
Right, thanks.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is there any other logical reason for doing a Arthur/Pjanic swap in two separate +60m -72m deals, rather than a swap with €12m payment on top - other than to manipulate the books? I have no idea what the law says here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's problematic. They didn't even bother to let a few days pass between the deals to create the illusion of independence.

cyberman

Is there any other logical reason for doing a Arthur/Pjanic swap in two separate +60m -72m deals, rather than a swap with €12m payment on top - other than to manipulate the books? I have no idea what the law says here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's problematic. They didn't even bother to let a few days pass between the deals to create the illusion of independence.
It’s blatant money laundering. I can’t even think of an excuse that they can bring forward

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is Italian football actually more corrupt than other leagues or are they just terrible at hiding it?
More than england and germany for sure, less than portugal and probably less than spain, but the authorities over her don't turn as much of a blind eye to it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is there any other logical reason for doing a Arthur/Pjanic swap in two separate +60m -72m deals, rather than a swap with €12m payment on top - other than to manipulate the books?
There is. And the reason is that's how swap deals work

Oranges038

This was my first thought when I saw the news. It was clear at the time there was something dodgy with it.
Yeah, the whole thing just seems corrrupt.

Also, Juve with their 2 year loan deals for Chiesa and Locatelli for, 10m and zero, 2 of the best young players moving on those kind of deals to a top team. It just looks shady.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It’s blatant money laundering. I can’t even think of an excuse that they can bring forward
I'm not meaning to justify it, I just wonder where the line between accounting tricks and accounting fraud is and how you prove it to have been crossed.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The situation is critical, I suppose the stock will open with -20%, -30%

The accusations are really important and dangerous, there are also phone interceptions as a confirm:

- False capital gain (around 300 million in 3 yrs)
- Fake invoices for transactions that never happened
- False Communication to the investors
- Accuse talk about a fraud system (the paratici system)
- There is a part talking about Ronaldo wage, (late paid)
If they get found guilty on these then there are going to be serious ramifications. For instance those involved won't be able to hold such positions again (in any listed company) and will probably face jail time.

As for the club, they'll then be under FFP sanctions at a minimum (not sure they'll get the time barred pass.)

Haha, we can see already that there going to use 'the football market' as an excuse. If they weren't listed they may have a bit of wriggle room but providing wrong/fake information to investors and financial regulators in regards to revenue/invoices etc is a really serious issue.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
This is getting out of hand. Relegate them or something... :lol:

Ace of Spades

It is actually sad how much corruption exists in football in general, and that is just the surface stuff that we are kind of aware of.

If they get found guilty on these then there are going to be serious ramifications. For instance those involved won't be able to hold such positions again (in any listed company) and will probably face jail time.

As for the club, they'll then be under FFP sanctions at a minimum (not sure they'll get the time barred pass.)

Haha, we can see already that there going to use 'the football market' as an excuse. If they weren't listed they may have a bit of wriggle room but providing wrong/fake information to investors and financial regulators in regards to revenue/invoices etc is a really serious issue.
Yeah, their defensive line is “accounting international practice in football industry”

GazTheLegend

I knew there was something going on with these clubs. They basically banked on a super League 100% happening - there is no way Barcelona and Juventus could have operated in the way they were with a 70-80% wage to revenue ratio, it was completely unsustainable. They gambled on being somewhere 'near' the top of the football pyramid for when the superleague happened and for that to happen they NEEDED to spend premier League levels of money without premier League revenue. Else be left behind when the league took off. Now it's not happened, I'm not surprised they're all in deep doo doo.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

How strong is corporate governance in Italian football? I mean, you’d expect it to be….but then again you’d also expect it to be a bit shoddy

edit, and how strong are the sanctions of the Italian stock exchange

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's funny how they are seen (not sure if actually self-proclaimed) as the "team of Italy, the team of most Italians", but the Italian justice doesn't hesitate to fully investigate them regularly. Incredibly shady club.

In Spain, Madrid, Barca and Atlético get away with it.

NotThatSoph

Thanks you both, I think I see what the game is here.

so artificially inflating their assets too. I suppose helps the books, but doesn’t actually help them in anywayin terms of actual’cash’ - is that right?
It doesn't do anything in terms of cash, and in terms of accounting it sums to zero eventually. By inflating the fees they can register a big profit that year, which means they can spend more without getting in trouble with FFP, but they can spend less the next years.

Say for simplicity that the players' book value is 0 right now, to make the math easier, and both given 5 year contracts. If they swap two players both valued at 0 for 5 years, then the impact on the books is 0 for all 5 years. If the players instead are both valued at 100m, then for the books it's +80m the first year, -20m the next 4.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
There is no fraud indeed, it is a widely adopted financial practice and Juventus, for once, is the only club to put real money into the Serie A system (€650m in the last two years).

It id just another concerted attempt at kicking the lion when it’s down. They were successful 15 years ago, they could well be again, if the sentimento popolare warrants it.

Colosseus’ gladiators, panem et circenses, same old story to distract the public from more serious matters.

InfiniteBoredom

But… it is! You clearly enjoy stirring the pot, don’t you? :lol:
Collaborating with other clubs in artificially inflated swap deals for hundreds of transfers isn’t ‘common practice in the industry’. It’s a murky legal area but let’s not pretend the majority of top European clubs are engaged in such practices, let alone the majority of football clubs at large.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Collaborating with other clubs in artificially inflated swap deals for hundreds of transfers isn’t ‘common practice in the industry’. It’s a murky legal area but let’s not pretend the majority of top European clubs are engaged in such practices, let alone the majority of football clubs at large.
You are being reported a one-sided narrative, which most people clearly are willing to bite and happily spread. Let’s see where this goes.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Yeah I agree, they are.

Interesting to see how this will end up for Juventus. Hope they get docked points. Not sure why but I've grown to dislike them in recent years. I guess it's similar with Dortmund and we seem to be competing for the same players quite often.

RoyH1

You would have thought that they would have a lot more focus on keeping their house tidy and in order considering what happened to them in the past.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This is getting out of hand. Relegate them or something... :lol:
It they had the balls to do this in Portugal Porto and Benfica would of been in the second division years ago.

Juve, atlético, Benfica, porto, barca ,all clube cut from the same cloth

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But… it is! You clearly enjoy stirring the pot, don’t you? :lol:
Valuing an 18 year old with 3 serie A appereances to his name, in the final year of his contract, €18M and swapping him for 2 academy kids with 0 serie A appeareances is *NOT* standard practice

And even if it were, so what, it's still fraud

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
It's really funny how Garganese is there defending Juventus. In my whole life, I haven't disliked "journalist" more. There are many different kinds of idiots, but Garganese is really sort that is always on the wrong side of pretty much anything.

Cloud7

It is actually sad how much corruption exists in football in general, and that is just the surface stuff that we are kind of aware of.
To be fair football is a billion dollar industry. I would imagine this level of corruption exists in all the financial ecosystems that operate with this kind of money. Corruption or manipulation or things of the like. The only difference is the product that the business puts out, which in our case is football.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
There is no fraud indeed, it is a widely adopted financial practice and Juventus, for once, is the only club to put real money into the Serie A system (€650m in the last two years).

It id just another concerted attempt at kicking the lion when it’s down. They were successful 15 years ago, they could well be again, if the sentimento popolare warrants it.

Colosseus’ gladiators, panem et circenses, same old story to distract the public from more serious matters.
That's quite the victim complex you have going there

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That's quite the victim complex you have going there
Nah, it is the local context, which you clearly do not know (and no one is pretending you should, mind).

This is just another dead chicken fed to piranha ponds: you like, you bite, you click, you read, then you will have another. Neither the prosecutors nor the media are accountable for the sh*t they put up, nor made to pay restoration in case these legal processes end in nothing, as too many in recent times.

Yet, character assassination (Andrea Agnelli recently, more than Juventus FC) has a scope: clickbaiting, accrediation in the public eye, even politics. A number of journos and prosecutors step up from their relatively unknown platforms through sensationalist sh*t and distorted narratives.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

There may be some evidence where you can get away with this from a footballing perspective (points deduction, penalties etc) as whilst you're bad at it, there are others' who also do it.

This however is immaterial, as the real problem is that you're a listed company and you've inflated/created fake receipts and presented these to the market. That is one of the biggest no, no's for a listed company to do, as it increases the share price above what it should be, thus defrauding ordinary citizens.

If found true, the legal/financial sanctions they're going to face will be very serious whilst also opening them up to a massive tax investigation. This really isn't something they can get away with by saying 'it is common in the football industry' as otherwise it will allow other listed companies to do something similar as it will set a precedent.

Codacons (italian association of consumer) will ask to antitrust the relegation and trophies revoke