Kai Havertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk buttercup

Possible, but not very likely. Would be okey with it. Really like Havertz.
It's no secret Pogba or probably more so his agent would like another mega transfer move, so if PSG or Juve or even probably unlikely now RM got managed to put together a deal I could see United going for that Duo especially if they cant get Sancho . I dont want to turn this into yet another Pogba thread , but imo if the merry go round gets going it's not out of the question to see both VdB and Havertz arrive . However this would be also at the expense of not getting Sancho too .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree. Given that we play 433. But another option is a 4231 (a formation OGS obviously like). And with Havertz in there, I could see OGS try to push Martial into being more of a striker. While Martial has been good as a false nine, I could see him being even better as a more natural striker.

Havertz for Pogba and Donny van de Beek for Lingard and Pereira?
I doubt Pogba will be leaving.

For a start, any hypothetical team we think will pay what we want for Pogba can therefore by default not be ruled out of the race for Havertz themselves - and will likely buy the younger star instead.

Kingslayer18

Havertz is gonna be a world class player and is a class above Grealish, Maddison, VDB as the other options we are linked with. It looks like we are chasing a multi-faceted player who can play in multiple positions and will ultimately take up the roles that Lingard, Mata and Perreira currently do. Whilst he can play RW, he will not be our next option for that position if Sancho doesn't come. We will most likely go in for another RW, whether it be Ferran Torres, Dembele, Chiesa or whoever.

Whilst I would love to get him this summer, I don't see Woodward splasing 100m on both him and Sancho in the same window. Havertz will likely only be bought if Pogba is sold, as they are both AM and there's no way to fit in them in the same 11 if we assume Havertz will not be predominantly playing as a RW. I know he can play the false 9 role but his best attributes come out as a 10 or 8. Havertz is unlikely to join a team where he's more out of the starting 11 than not.

If Chelsea get him, you would have to say they would built a far better squad than we would and will position themselves as a challenger to the top 2 unless Lampard can't get them to play effectively.

ovoxo

Havertz is gonna be a world class player and is a class above Grealish, Maddison, VDB as the other options we are linked with. It looks like we are chasing a multi-faceted player who can play in multiple positions and will ultimately take up the roles that Lingard, Mata and Perreira currently do. Whilst he can play RW, he will not be our next option for that position if Sancho doesn't come. We will most likely go in for another RW, whether it be Ferran Torres, Dembele, Chiesa or whoever.

Whilst I would love to get him this summer, I don't see Woodward splasing 100m on both him and Sancho in the same window. Havertz will likely only be bought if Pogba is sold, as they are both AM and there's no way to fit in them in the same 11 if we assume Havertz will not be predominantly playing as a RW. I know he can play the false 9 role but his best attributes come out as a 10 or 8. Havertz is unlikely to join a team where he's more out of the starting 11 than not.

If Chelsea get him, you would have to say they would built a far better squad than we would and will position themselves as a challenger to the top 2 unless Lampard can't get them to play effectively.
I don’t agree with that. Defensively they’ve still got work to do, and Kepa isn’t exactly great either.

If we sign Sancho, and a midfielder such as VDB or Grealish, then I think we have the better squad.

Kingslayer18

I don’t agree with that. Defensively they’ve still got work to do, and Kepa isn’t exactly great either.

If we sign Sancho, and a midfielder such as VDB or Grealish, then I think we have the better squad.
I really don't think so. Go man for man in that squad and you have to say they're also building something interesting. They're gonna get an upgrade at LB and CB most likely this window. Their back-ups like RLC, Barkly, Pulisic, Kovacic are better than ours currently (Lingard, Mata, James, Matic). Plus they have an army of really young talent that's coming up, as much as people talk about our young crop. I'm worried about them as a serious challenger in about 2 years time when we should be challenging for the league.

We need to buy quality and buy smart in the next 2 years otherwise we will get left behind and be left just challenging for champs league spot. I don't think just Sancho and VDB/Grealish elevates us above them, if they do get Havertz, a new CB and LB.

prateik

He looks great.. can we get him .. please.. instead of Grealish.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I really don't think so. Go man for man in that squad and you have to say they're also building something interesting. They're gonna get an upgrade at LB and CB most likely this window. Their back-ups like RLC, Barkly, Pulisic, Kovacic are better than ours currently (Lingard, Mata, James, Matic). Plus they have an army of really young talent that's coming up, as much as people talk about our young crop. I'm worried about them as a serious challenger in about 2 years time when we should be challenging for the league.

We need to buy quality and buy smart in the next 2 years otherwise we will get left behind and be left just challenging for champs league spot. I don't think just Sancho and VDB/Grealish elevates us above them, if they do get Havertz, a new CB and LB.
If the get Havertz a CB and LB their squad would have no weakness. Ours would

jamesjimmybyrondean

If the get Havertz a CB and LB their squad would have no weakness. Ours would

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Wouldn't agree with that. Would say its very similar and arguable either way, but a front 3 of Werner, Ziyech and whoever their 3rd attacker is vs a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sancho? I'd take ours. Midfield of Bruno and Pogba vs any 2 of theirs (Kovacic/Jorginho/Havertzin that situation), I'd take ours. Holding midfielder with Kante they have it, but he's not what he was and McTominay is always improving. Defensively we are a much better side all around and have shown it this season, and while Chilwell would be a good signing, they'd still be open.

They'd have a good squad, but one that would require a lot of gelling to the league and to each other which is never a guarantee. If we only add Sancho, we're looking pretty complete already, while its a much more seemless transition with only Sancho being added to a clear spot in our side, with the rest already gelling together (still to see Pogba with Bruno of course). Anyway, the best 11 doesn't always win. Both us and Chelsea would have squads capable of challenging with City and liverpool, but Klopp and Pep are that much better that they'd still likely dominate (for now).

romufc

Wouldn't agree with that. Would say its very similar and arguable either way, but a front 3 of Werner, Ziyech and whoever their 3rd attacker is vs a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sancho? I'd take ours. Midfield of Bruno and Pogba vs any 2 of theirs (Kovacic/Jorginho/Havertzin that situation), I'd take ours. Holding midfielder with Kante they have it, but he's not what he was and McTominay is always improving. Defensively we are a much better side all around and have shown it this season, and while Chilwell would be a good signing, they'd still be open.

They'd have a good squad, but one that would require a lot of gelling to the league and to each other which is never a guarantee. If we only add Sancho, we're looking pretty complete already, while its a much more seemless transition with only Sancho being added to a clear spot in our side, with the rest already gelling together (still to see Pogba with Bruno of course). Anyway, the best 11 doesn't always win. Both us and Chelsea would have squads capable of challenging with City and liverpool, but Klopp and Pep are that much better that they'd still likely dominate (for now).

I agree with the first paragraph, where we would still on paper have the better team. Ziyech from the dutch league and Werner and Havertz from the Bundesliga, no one knows how they will adapt. They might not have the budget to sign another CB this summer, and they have a far weaker keeper than us.

The point about City and Liverpool, I feel that for the moment they might be better however; you have to take note that the Liverpool players have been playing 3 seasons without injuries. An injury to VVD, or any of the front 3 and they do not have a backup, like we saw with City (Laporte). City have a very good squad however; Silva going and a weak defence is still a concern for them.

If Ole can get get us playing as a team, attacking football, I have confidence that our defence is good enough to cope with most attacks.

With respects to Havertz; I don't actually think we need him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I agree with the first paragraph, where we would still on paper have the better team. Ziyech from the dutch league and Werner and Havertz from the Bundesliga, no one knows how they will adapt. They might not have the budget to sign another CB this summer, and they have a far weaker keeper than us.

The point about City and Liverpool, I feel that for the moment they might be better however; you have to take note that the Liverpool players have been playing 3 seasons without injuries. An injury to VVD, or any of the front 3 and they do not have a backup, like we saw with City (Laporte). City have a very good squad however; Silva going and a weak defence is still a concern for them.

If Ole can get get us playing as a team, attacking football, I have confidence that our defence is good enough to cope with most attacks.

We don't. I don't understand why people want him and want Sancho too. That's just greed

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Agree, I just think over a season, Klopp and Pep have shown remarkable consistency, over multiple seasons. Even if we get to a normal title challenging level like mid 80's points, I don't think Ole can get to the upper 90s. Fortunately I think our squad will peak as City and Liverpool decline and we'll be well poised to take over, but so will Chelsea. Hopefully you add in Klopp and Pep not staying that much longer in the league, and I can see us getting there. Just not until they either really decline, or leave the league.

Agree on Havertz though. With Bruno and Pogba, there's no need to sign anyone in midfield (#8 or #10). Plus we have very decent depth. Its Sancho, and a partner for Maguire as the top 2 IMO.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
If you're Havertz, why not join Real, Barca or Bayern in 2021? I really wouldn't understand a move to Chelsea at all. I get that their team is young and exciting, but there's huge question marks and uncertainties as well.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you're Havertz, why not join Real, Barca or Bayern in 2021? I really wouldn't understand a move to Chelsea at all. I get that their team is young and exciting, but there's huge question marks and uncertainties as well.
He's not going to Chelsea, it's a load of bollocks.

romufc

He's not going to Chelsea, it's a load of bollocks.
I think all this noise about Havertz is created so teams like BVB start negotiating. Clubs want to be seen as pursuing other targets.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I doubt Pogba will be leaving.

For a start, any hypothetical team we think will pay what we want for Pogba can therefore by default not be ruled out of the race for Havertz themselves - and will likely buy the younger star instead.
It is a good point. At the same time, it is a bit absurd. Havertz is probably available for £80 mill. Imagine saying that we are unable to sell him for that price. Or even more absurd, that Real Madrid/Juve would rather go for a pretty unprovrn youngster at 20 than Pogba.

I see the logic, but you would probably not have believed that one or two years ago.

And that being said, Pogba could turn out to be a steal for the right club. Potentially the best six years ahead of him with huge commercial value.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...sancho-alternative-in-summer-overhaul-sources

Article suggests Chelsea's reported surprise interest in Havertz is because they are now convinced Sancho will be joining United and it is now pointless pursuing him further.
I did see a journalist suggest exactly that. I can't remember who he was, but he said Chelsea had earmarked a certain amount for a pursuit for Sancho and the feeling is now that he is unattainable, likely headed to United, so they want to allocate that money to pushing for Havertz.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is a good point. At the same time, it is a bit absurd. Havertz is probably available for £80 mill. Imagine saying that we are unable to sell him for that price. Or even more absurd, that Real Madrid/Juve would rather go for a pretty unprovrn youngster at 20 than Pogba.

I see the logic, but you would probably not have believed that one or two years ago.

And that being said, Pogba could turn out to be a steal for the right club. Potentially the best six years ahead of him with huge commercial value.
Them preferring to sign Havertz is just a guess for me, and if true, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. The logic is obvious; as you say, in that Havertz already looks top class and is 7 years younger with bigger resale value and general value for money if he stays long. He may also never become anything, Dembele is currently highlighting the risk of going for young promise over an established player.

Many United fans would prefer Upamecano or De Ligt over Koulibaily. Or Mbappé over Neymar. Doesn’t make the younger players better per se.

I don’t know what these clubs will do, only that Real are one of the other clubs who are apparently after him. Don’t think our fans are thinking when they come up with these theories that only we can afford players, especially if it’s contingent on us selling Pogba. If that’s the criteria, then we can’t afford him either! And if Real can afford Pogba, they can also afford Havertz. And Sancho for that matter, who they have also been linked with.

Rajma

Think having him and Bruno in the same midfield is asking for trouble in terms of balance (I do reckon the same about playing Pogba/Bruno at the same time mind). How is his defensive skills?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've just bought an 80m CAM and people expect to replace him with a 20 year old?

People need to stop dreaming and go back to football manager.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I have a nagging suspicion that we end up massively kicking ourselves whichever one of Havertz or Sancho we end up missing out on. :(

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have a nagging suspicion that we end up massively kicking ourselves whichever one of Havertz or Sancho we end up missing out on. :(
They're both great players and will go onto have good careers.

Right now we need a wide player in Sancho, not so desperate for Havertz.

romufc

They're both great players and will go onto have good careers.

Right now we need a wide player in Sancho, not so desperate for Havertz.
Having watched some highlights of Havertz, it seems he is a very intelligent player. He has the same characteristics as Bruno.

So it would make no sense for us to spend the cash for him.

Spending another £10/20m on Sancho makes alot more sense given he fits the profile of player that this team lacks.

I saw a stat where we have 27% of our goals from the RW, 19th in the league with that stat.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If Havertz is available at a reasonable price then we should go for him but Sancho is a needs must. We have created the second worst amount of chances in the Prem from the right side. It's an obvious problem and makes us easier to defend against

crossy1686

career ending
He looks great.. can we get him .. please.. instead of Grealish.
Talk this morning from the Athletic is that we're big into Sancho and expect Grealish or Havertz before VDB, so maybe we're seriously inquiring?

I think we're looking at something like:

RW
1. Sancho
2. Havertz

CM
1. Grealish
2. Bellingham
3. VDB

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I haven't seen much of him but in many of these clips he looks a very good option for the RW with added versatility in other positions over Sancho.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Talk this morning from the Athletic is that we're big into Sancho and expect Grealish or Havertz before VDB, so maybe we're seriously inquiring?

I think we're looking at something like:

RW
1. Sancho
2. Havertz

CM
1. Grealish
2. Bellingham
3. VDB
We always have links with so many players but we always seem to miss the bus because of our dilly-dallying, and it seems that Chelsea may have taken Havertz too.

-Supreme-

I haven't seen much of him but in many of these clips he looks a very good option for the RW with added versatility in other positions over Sancho.
I agree.

Him being left footed is more suited for the right side comparing to other right footed players, including Sancho IMO...

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
We always have links with so many players but we always seem to miss the bus because of our dilly-dallying, and it seems that Chelsea may have taken Havertz too.
Romans woke up like its 2004 again

theklr

Nothing concrete by any reliable source on Havertz to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.