Kai Havertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick.

Sancho fixes more problems than Havertz does. If it's one or the other I'd say go for Sancho.

georgipep

Yes I was of the same opinion. I wouldn't have signed a single one of those players bar maybe Falcao and Depay, though. Those are not the levels of talent I meant.

And yes, Chelsea should have the ambition to finish top 4 with those players. I was talking about a case where you buy a top talent although you don't need it and it takes a season or two to adjust your squad to it. Exemplarily if Barca were to buy Sancho, they have Messi in his favourite position so it would take some adjusting. They'd need to find a spot for him, maybe by moving him to the left or by moving Messi back to the striker position or whatever.
So you are honestly telling me that Falcao and Di Maria were, in your opinion, lesser talents back then, compared to Werner and Havertz?

If so, let's agree to strongly disagree and leave it at that.

As for buying top talent you don't need.... Well, that's maybe something that teams at the very top of the football pyramid can afford to do (Real, Bayern, Barcelona, PSG, maybe City) but it is a luxury neither us nor Chelsea are in position to do right now.

If you have a top talent on the bench of a team not winning the highest honours in sport, they will soon leave for greener pastures. We're talking about players who can have their pick of top teams to play for. You can be dead certain they have received very solid reassurances they will play more often than not.

izec

If you can sign him, then you sign him. He is too good to not go for him now. He will be a world class player if he stays fit.

Sign Havertz now and Sancho next year. Sell Pogba next year (if he wants to leave).

Mata, Pereira and Lingard should be booted out pretty soon anyway, which leaves plenty of space for some proper competition.

NoPace

It's absolutely insane. Someone genuinely said 'he's left-footed so I'd prefer him on the right to Sancho'. Despite the fact he's never fecking played there! I swear people just get bored of transfer targets, now we need a shinier toy than someone we haven't even signed! I like Havertz as well, he's an extremely attractive and graceful player who could play a great role at United as a midfielder or even false 9. But wanting him instead of Sancho, a player who is not only young, produces insane numbers (in the same league as Havertz) and English, but plays in an important position where we haven't had a natural player since fecking Nani, is crazy to me.
The case for Havertz, and I'm not saying it's right despite my love for him, is that he could start this year as a false 9 (brilliant there lately with Volland out) and then replace Pogba after one last season then we buy uh, Sancho or another RW or a 9 if it turns out Greenwood has passed Martial and is better on the right than up top.

Martial-Havertz-Rashford
-------Pogba---Bruno----------
-----------------DM------------------

then after Pogba goes:

Rashford-Martial-Greenwood
-------Havertz---Bruno----------
-----------------DM------------------

My basic view is that either would be a great signing and if we can secure one do that even it means overpaying. I doubt we'll be able to get the 2nd and 3rd highest rated young players in world football (Mbappe number one let's say) to agree to join us anyways, but if we can then do that it's worth just relying on youth elsewhere to fill gaps, maybe with a cheap left-footed LB signing (or even some janky loan or some weird swap with Henderson, Pereira, Lingard or Jones going to some team with 2 left backs but holes elsewhere) if there's no money left.

If we signed Sancho and Havertz this summer and Pogba went to Madrid and we get back the money to pay for 80% of one of Sancho or Havertz and spend the whole transfer kitty on the other that would be good long-term business for us considering Pogba presumably wanting to go and we'd have a proper feck off front 6 with their best years ahead of them:

Rashford-Martial-Sancho
---------Havertz-Bruno--------
------------------Fred--------

is just a fecking great front 6 with Greenwood, James and McTominay covering damn near all of the minutes left, and everyone but Fred is 24 and under.

Infra-red

If we sell Pogba, Havertz would be at the top of my list of desirables. If we don't sell Pogba, then we have no particular use for him.

Either way, this should have no impact whatsoever on our search for a RW and our pursuit of Sancho.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
From a hugely reliable ITK on another site..

Kai Havertz (AM) Bayern Munich will move for KH if the option on Philippe Coutinho not taken up - which it won't be. However, Bayern value the player at €50M less than the original €130M asking price - which has dropped to a still significant €100M minimum with no guarantee that Bayer Leverkusen will sell at all. In terms of interest from elsewhere, Barcelona were keen assuming Coutinho leaves, but have other prioritiues and financial issues. Manchester City viewed him as a David Silva replacement but have moved on. KH was first choice for Juventus but interest has moved on to others - and they are looking to horse trade. Interest of Milan will not go anywhere. Dortmund and PSG have both certainly spoken with his agent but neither seem keen enough at the asking price and will press ahead with other preferences. Manchester United opting for Bruno Fernandes will likely take them out of the picture and they need to resolve the issue with Pogba and replacing him and getting Sanchez off the books - and it won't be Havertz or Sancho - so they could end up having to make several very high end purchases - but they remain keen and need to prioritorise. Even with Chelsea opting for Ziyech, they have spoken with Bayer Leverkusen and will return with an interesting proposal after losing out on another target. Real Madrid have other priorities and have signed an alternative already - it is unlikely their funds will stretch to KH this summer so they propose a deal like Nobby Keita where the transfer is agreed for next summer at a fixed fee with a deposit paid now and the player staying another year in Germany - but the deposit might well be in the form of a player or two and that may not satisfy Bayer Leverkusen. Whether Liverpool wish to throw their hat in to the ring is another matter but they are not going to be able to fund a move this summer without a major sale. There may be a real push for him to spend one more year at BL regardless of all of the strong interest, as they have already signed a replacement to the club, but he is still inexperienced and learning. That would suit Bayern Munich - but they expect to be pressed in to making the signing this summer which does not ideally suit them with Sane still being thrashed out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The best Germans just don't go anywhere else but Bayern if they want you, it's that simple.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The best Germans just don't go anywhere else but Bayern if they want you, it's that simple.
You think so? I'd say there are fare too many examples of the contrary to assume that, especially for the best German players.

Adam-Utd

Sané and Özil? I‘d somewhat count KdB as well.
As I said, depends if they wanted them.

I can't say for sure but Bayern had Ribery/Robben at that point, and Bayern played a 4-3-3 so didn't need Ozil (Madrid are no smucks anyway)

The point is usually if it's a case of staying in Germany or leaving, they usually stay. I think if Havertz had a clear option of Bayern he'd choose them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As I said, depends if they wanted them.

I can't say for sure but Bayern had Ribery/Robben at that point, and Bayern played a 4-3-3 so didn't need Ozil (Madrid are no smucks anyway)

The point is usually if it's a case of staying in Germany or leaving, they usually stay. I think if Havertz had a clear option of Bayern he'd choose them.
It's more complicated now than before with Bayern's hold on the BL best players. Bayern had a much better free hand on BL talents in the 00s since the league was in general decline and therefore the biggest clubs outside of Germany didn't want to sign BL players.

That has changed now with the BL improving to become the 3rd best league, above Serie A for me, and the national team also doing well. The BL attracts attention from the biggest clubs in Europe and therefore Bayern have more competition in signing players.

Bayern very clearly wanted Sane while he was at Schalke but were simply priced out by City, that was the same case for KdB as well. KdB openly stated he would prefer to go to Bayern but Bayern weren't able to negotiate a price with Wolfsburg (because of how much City were offering). Dortmund too have presented a consistent opposition to Bayern, previously, throught the 00s, you would have teams flirt with being a 2nd power but faltering after a few seasons (Dortmund, Bremen, Schalke, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg). Reus surprised many when he decided to join Dortmund from Gladbach and that seemed to signal a shift in balance in power, alas Bayern pulled their Gotze card and snuffed that.

Bayern have realized this now. They were far too comfortable in the market, either unwilling to pay larger amounts or thinking they had a hold in the BL, and now know they would need to pay large amounts to get the best players in the BL, something they didn't have to do before.

RUCK4444

I know, it’s feckin boring, who the feck wants to have their career dictated to them with only one inevitable outcome.

It’s like they have some dark power over them “Move to Bayern! These are your orders... orders that must be obeyed!” In my best Basil Fawlty impression

jamesjimmybyrondean

Isn't this the norm for the best clubs in their respective countries? Barcelona and Real Madrid always have the best Spanish players. We used to have the best English players. And Italians don't want to leave Italy

Adam-Utd

Isn't this the norm for the best clubs in their respective countries? Barcelona and Real Madrid always have the best Spanish players. We used to have the best English players. And Italians don't want to leave Italy
Well yes, but people seem to be in denial about this - especially Chelsea fans on twitter :lol:

Obviously Bayern can't have everybody but usually they get first pickings it's just the way it is. They currently have a pretty large Havertz shaped whole in their squad with Coutinho leaving also.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Obviously Bayern can't have everybody but usually they get first pickings it's just the way it is. They currently have a pretty large Havertz shaped whole in their squad with Coutinho leaving also.
Havertz basically plays Müller‘s role. They are very different players, but with Lewy, 2 wingers and Thiago plus Kimmich in midfield that is the spot he would be taking. So not really a hole and Müller is amazing again this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well it would help your argument, so you would, wouldn’t you?:D Although feck knows why you would randomly decide to count a Belgian, of whom far more of their top players play in the PL than the BL, and who had himself already played in the PL!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Literally says nothing here?
Well each to their own. There was a ton of information there to my mind, but just passed it on in case anyone was interested, especially as there was some United stuff in there too. The guy works in football transfers (not sure as what exactly) and he’s been sharing in depth info on the transfer market for many years.

kirk buttercup

It wouldn't really be a shock if he ended up at Bayern . Whoever gets him is getting a future star if the game imo.

romufc

Sane didn't go there because they had Ribery and Robben at the time. Surprise Surprise they are in for Sane.

They were in for Werner but he got pissed off with Bayern on their handling of the transfer.

They literally bully every German club into getting the best talent.

theklr

Havertz basically plays Müller‘s role. They are very different players, but with Lewy, 2 wingers and Thiago plus Kimmich in midfield that is the spot he would be taking. So not really a hole and Müller is amazing again this season.
Yeah, but how many years does Muller have left in him ? Would be the perfect timing to bring in Havertz to learn from him and phase him in in my opinion.

Ofcourse, Havertz wants playtime, but they are talking about loaning him back the first year.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The last German players they signed: Nübel, Arp, Goretzka, Süle, Gnabry and Rudy. Nothing particularly impressive apart from maybe Süle (Gnabry's development was a positive suprise for basically everyone). It's not like those were signings everybody in Germany begrudged. Decent players, nothing special. Meanwhile Sane went to City, Werner will go to Chelsea, Havertz will probably not end up at them and so forth. Of course they're still very, very attractive for German players but the past generation sort of warmed up to playing abroad. Ballack and Kroos even left the FC Bayern against the will of the club and Kroos in particular wasn't too fond of it and it's officials afterwards.

Back in the day Bayern's team was basically a Bundesliga all-star squad with them buying more or less all the best players from competitors. Nowadays more and more young players prefer to move to top clubs in different countries, not only German ones. I mean, 15 years ago it would've been clear that Sancho and Havertz would now end up at Bayern, the same would've been true for de Bruyne, Dembele and Sane. That has definitely changed. Globalisation says hi.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well it would help your argument, so you would, wouldn’t you?:D Although feck knows why you would randomly decide to count a Belgian, of whom far more of their top players play in the PL than the BL, and who had himself already played in the PL!
It’s about Bayern allegedly being in the position to sign every successful Bundesliga player. And Bayern did want Sané and KdB but was outspent.
And if you focus purely on German players, their best starting lineup would probably be:

Lewandowski
Gnabry Müller Coman
Thiago Kimmich
Davies Alaba Süle Parvard
Neuer

5 Germans. 1 from their academy, Bremen, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim and Schalke each.
The others? 2 from the Bundesliga, 1 from Juve, 1 from Barca, 1 from Canada and 1 from their academy.

Adam-Utd

Muller has been playing right wing
The last German players they signed: Nübel, Arp, Goretzka, Süle, Gnabry and Rudy. Nothing particularly impressive apart from maybe Süle (Gnabry's development was a positive suprise for basically everyone). It's not like those were signings everybody in Germany begrudged. Decent players, nothing special. Meanwhile Sane went to City, Werner will go to Chelsea, Havertz will probably not end up at them and so forth. Of course they're still very, very attractive for German players but the past generation sort of warmed up to playing abroad. Ballack and Kroos even left the FC Bayern against the will of the club and Kroos in particular wasn't too fond of it and it's officials afterwards.

Back in the day Bayern's team was basically a Bundesliga all-star squad with them buying more or less all the best players from competitors. Nowadays more and more young players prefer to move to top clubs in different countries, not only German ones. I mean, 15 years ago it would've been clear that Sancho and Havertz would now end up at Bayern, the same would've been true for de Bruyne, Dembele and Sane. That has definitely changed. Globalisation says hi.
They could have signed Werner if they wanted - chose not to as Lewandowski is frankly twice the player.

Obviously at that time City were blowing everybody away with their money but that's not really Bayerns fault, and funnily enough Sane is NOW joining them?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s about Bayern allegedly being in the position to sign every successful Bundesliga player. And Bayern did want Sané and KdB but was outspent.
And if you focus purely on German players, their best starting lineup would probably be:

Lewandowski
Gnabry Müller Coman
Thiago Kimmich
Davies Alaba Süle Parvard
Neuer

5 Germans. 1 from their academy, Bremen, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim and Schalke each.
The others? 2 from the Bundesliga, 1 from Juve, 1 from Barca, 1 from Canada and 1 from their academy.
Well he said German players specifically. For non-Germans, it stands to reason that they do not necessarily dream of playing for Bayern Munich over a Real Madrid, Chelsea or wherever. Germany hasn’t been in the top two leagues for as long as I can remember. There will always be players who are not from Germany who want to go elsewhere, especially an English player who wants to go to England, like Sancho. Reading this thread I’ve seen it said that if it were the ‘good old days’, Sancho would go to Bayern. I don’t see that, he’d always be odds on to go to the PL rather than spend his prime in the Bundesliga.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
What have Gnabry, Perisic and Coman been doing lately? What were Ribery and Robben doing?
Müller can play on the wing, but he is better centrally and that is where he has been playing the vast, vast majority of games. He is a second striker behind Lewandowski.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Reading this thread I’ve seen it said that if it were the ‘good old days’, Sancho would go to Bayern. I don’t see that, he’d always be odds on to go to the PL rather than spend his prime in the Bundesliga.
i absolutey agree. that is also why there are no rumors of him going to Bayern besides the lazy name dropping.

Adam-Utd

What have Gnabry, Perisic and Coman been doing lately? What were Ribery and Robben doing?
Müller can play on the wing, but he is better centrally and that is where he has been playing the vast, vast majority of games. He is a second striker behind Lewandowski.
Gnabry plays left, Coman and Perisic on the bench. Sometimes Coman plays on the right and Muller through the middle.

The point is Bayern can happily fit Havertz into their side - and I expect them to make him their number 10 for the forseeable future.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Gnabry plays left, Coman and Perisic on the bench. Sometimes Coman plays on the right and Muller through the middle.

The point is Bayern can happily fit Havertz into their side - and I expect them to make him their number 10 for the forseeable future.
This is wrong. Müllers plays centrally.

Adam-Utd

This is wrong. Müllers plays centrally.
If they play a 4-2-3-1 yes, 4-3-3 he plays on the right. All depends on Coman's fitness also.

Anyway that really isn't the point, out of those players it's likely Havertz drops into the 10 and Muller either stays on the right or drops out.

Bayern can EASILY make room for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

They could have signed Werner if they wanted - chose not to as Lewandowski is frankly twice the player.

Obviously at that time City were blowing everybody away with their money but that's not really Bayerns fault, and funnily enough Sane is NOW joining them?
Don't get me wrong, but that's bull shit. They did want Sane and it was a very logical signing for both parties since Ribery and Robben were already quite old in 2016. But Sané went to City. He chose Guardiola, the bigger league and at that time a club with a better perspective. You can add Gündogan to that as well.

So yeah, Bayern is still very attractive, especially for German players, but it's not a no brainer any longer to go there if they are interested. A player good enough to go be a star at Madrid or Barcelona will most likely choose them over Munich, even German ones.

Well he said German players specifically. For non-Germans, it stands to reason that they do not necessarily dream of playing for Bayern Munich over a Real Madrid, Chelsea or wherever. Germany hasn’t been in the top two leagues for as long as I can remember. There will always be players who are not from Germany who want to go elsewhere, especially an English player who wants to go to England, like Sancho. Reading this thread I’ve seen it said that if it were the ‘good old days’, Sancho would go to Bayern. I don’t see that, he’d always be odds on to go to the PL rather than spend his prime in the Bundesliga.
I generally agree with you but until around 15 years ago a lot of "foreign" players in the Bundesliga indeed did go to Bayern. Ze Roberto, Lucio, van Buyten, Pizarro, the Kovacs, etc. But I think the main reason for that was that the Bundesliga was farther away from the EPL, La Liga and Serie A back then than it is today so even the best Bundesliga players weren't really that interesting for international top clubs so Bayern was a logical step. There were no talents like Havertz, Sancho or Götze in the mid 2000s.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If they play a 4-2-3-1 yes, 4-3-3 he plays on the right. All depends on Coman's fitness also.

Anyway that really isn't the point, out of those players it's likely Havertz drops into the 10 and Muller either stays on the right or drops out.

Bayern can EASILY make room for him.
I will stop replying since you obviously know more about Müller‘s positioning than me, who has been watching 95% of Bayerns games Over the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.