Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Womp

idiot
Even at 100m, it would be a good buy IMO (especially considering that we can get some money back by selling 2 out of Jones/Rojo/Bailly). He will instantly improve our defense. Also, let's not forget that we didn't spend too much last season, so we should have some money to spend. Additionally, it is hardly that we need improvements in many positions. Get Koulibaly, a right-wing attacker and possibly a right back and we are set to go.
A deep playmaker would be ideal too, that's just me being greedy though, I guess. :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Italian FA not showing a zero tolerance to racism will see him leave in the summer IMO.

sam147

This was Salah at his unplayable best last season, and Koulibaly kept him quiet for most of it. I am not convinced of his heading, but his positioning, 1v1, passing, tackling, strength and pace are all top class.[/QUOTE]
His passing is very underrated. But you are right about heading. I miss the days of two monsters Vidic and Rio heading everything. If we do sign Koulibaly and partner him with Lindelof or Bailly it is an upgrade because they're actual footballers compared to Smalling and Jones. But we do need someone dominant in the air in the defence. Either De Gea steps up and commands better or we sign another CB.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Various sources saying we will go back in the summer, which is easy to say because it obviously isn't happening in January.

This one could our summer saga.
With a bit of luck. I know we have a tendency to over hype potential signings but Koulibaly really is a tremendous player, he's a one man army at times in the Napoli defence. No signing is ever a guarantee but he's as close to one as possible and if he's attainable I'd have no issue if we broke the bank for him.

Hawks2008

For the money he would cost De Ligt would represent better business. Not to say Koulibaly wouldn't be a great addition to the squad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For the money he would cost De Ligt would represent better business. Not to say Koulibaly wouldn't be a great addition to the squad.
You mean the one that just shipped 6 goals to a bang average team?

He might be just as good in the future but there's no promises. Koulibaly is the ready made defender we need.

izec

He might be just as good in the future but there's no promises. Koulibaly is the ready made defender we need.
It is a team effort mate. Pretty sure Kouliably had some mares too

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It is a team effort mate. Pretty sure Kouliably had some mares too
Honestly I don't remember many, but then again i'm a big fan so I would be biased. Seems like the club are pretty big fans too!

izec

Honestly I don't remember many, but then again i'm a big fan so I would be biased. Seems like the club are pretty big fans too!
Yeah, but i am also sure the club is doing their homework and doesnt base their decision/opinion on the last game the team/players in question played.

I am happy with both, but alternatives are good when dealing with the Napoli president

Hawks2008

That's fair, no doubt Koulibaly is top class and I would be more than happy to see him come here. Guess years of FM have made me too fond of wonderkids :D

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's fair, no doubt Koulibaly is top class and I would be more than happy to see him come here. Guess years of FM have made me too fond of wonderkids :D
I don't think you're wrong. Pretty much everyone in world football raves about de Ligt. A one-off game to evaluate how good he is is daft.

That being said, I want both.

Bwuk

Even if he doesn’t come here he should leave.

Backwards mentality that Koulibalys appeal got rejected. It’s 2019 ffs.

Mick321

Some shocking defending tonight from him from what I've seen in the highlights, he's nowhere near as good as the hype. Good but not a world beater, defence transformer that some seem to think.

Seven Seas Sardines

Some shocking defending tonight from him from what I've seen in the highlights, he's nowhere near as good as the hype. Good but not a world beater, defence transformer that some seem to think.
Could it be that he was affected by the racism garbage? Could maybe lower his fee if he gets disgruntled and performs below his standards.

AltiUn

That's why highlights aren't a good way to measure a player's abilities. He's easily as good as the hype, he's proven that for years now, a poor performance here and there isn't going to change that. He's single-handedly kept that Napoli defence together more times than I can count over the last few years, if he ain't "defence transformer" I don't know who is.

D4X73r

He helps us getting him cheaper :devil:

Mick321

That's why highlights aren't a good way to measure a player's abilities. He's easily as good as the hype, he's proven that for years now, a poor performance here and there isn't going to change that. He's single-handedly kept that Napoli defence together more times than I can count over the last few years, if he ain't "defence transformer" I don't know who is.
Shit defending is shit defending whether it's seen in a 5 mins highlight package or the whole 90mins. He also cost them at Anfield. He's nowhere near as good as people like you claim. On the eye test or stats.

Jibbs

For Koulibaly It had to be this winter or never, I'd rather we go for de Ligt or even Upamecano this summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Shit defending is shit defending whether it's seen in a 5 mins highlight package or the whole 90mins. He also cost them at Anfield. He's nowhere near as good as people like you claim. On the eye test or stats.
I suppose you think we should have binned Vidic after getting torn a new one by Torres then?

AltiUn

People like me? He's widely rated, it's not the minority who know how good he is, he's not some unearthed gem in league 2. He measures up very well in the stat department, take him against van Dijk for example who's considered the best CB in the PL.

Per 90 minutes:

Koulibaly
  • Tackles: 1.9
  • Interceptions: 1.4
  • Fouls: 1.3
  • Clearances: 4.1
  • Blocks: 0.7
Van Dijk
  • Tackles: 0.9
  • Interceptions: 1.1
  • Fouls: 0.5
  • Clearances: 5.2
  • Blocks: 0.5

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Based on the highlights you've watched of one game or have you seen more?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nope, I've said quite clearly I think he's a good defender.
I don't think you've quite clearly said anything of the sort. You've just brought up where he's not played well and said he's not all that. Seems strange as he's widely regarded as one of, if not the, best player at Napoli - who are 2nd in the Italian league.

Canagel

Good. If that will make Napoli more likely to sell. He's still one of the three best centre backs in Europe.

Mick321

I don't think you've quite clearly said anything of the sort.
Perhaps you need to see an optician then, it's just a few posts up and people have quoted it a million times. Quite clearly said he's good but not a world beater.

He's a good player but in peoples desperation for us to have our Van Dijk he's getting wildly overrated. And what's worse is if we do sign him these same people will hammer him as soon as he makes a mistake because he's not at the level their delusions think he is.

Pyro19

Knee jerk reaction of the highest proportions.

Mick321

Knee jerk reaction of the highest proportions.
And you can pretend every player is perfect just because we get linked with them, that worked so well with Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly, Mkhitaryan and a zillion others. Meanwhile I'll stay in the real world.

Pyro19

And you can pretend every player is perfect just because we get linked with them, that worked so well with Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly, Mkhitaryan and a zillion others. Meanwhile I'll stay in the real world.
Who the feck ever claimed them to be perfect or world beaters? :lol:

You just like to throw out random statements don't you? Go on then, name 3 defenders in the "real world" that play in the Italian league and are better than him.

Mick321

I haven't said there's loads of defenders better in Italy though have I? He's one of the better ones over there, not a Chiellini but one of the top 5 or so. There seems to be a lack of brilliant CB's everywhere. I'd say Alderweireld is one of the better ones here and he's not that great either.

And let's not pretend there weren't people thinking Sanchez was world class.

0le

Lindelof has improved. I want to see by how much more he can improve. A lindelof (current form) and Smalling CB partnership is good enough for the rest of the season. We also have an excellent youth product in Tuanzebe. The Villa fans are raving about him. I think we should give him an opportunity and sell one of Rojo or Jones.

Pyro19

I haven't said there's loads of defenders better in Italy though have I? He's one of the better ones over there, not a Chiellini but one of the top 5 or so. There seems to be a lack of brilliant CB's everywhere. I'd say Alderweireld is one of the better ones here and he's not that great either.

And let's not pretend there weren't people thinking Sanchez was world class.
Nice dodge there. He's over hyped yet you can't name 3 defenders better than him.

As I said, just throwing around random statements.

Mick321

Nice dodge there. He's over hyped yet you can't name 3 defenders better than him.

As I said, just throwing around random statements.
You seem to think calling someone not as good as the hype means I'm calling them shit. Totally clueless, impossible to debate with someone this dim.

Again, given you can't read, he's a good player, one of the better defenders in Serie A, top 5 or so. But he isn't world class and wouldn't come here and transform our defence. Toby Alderweireld is a top 5 defender in England and guess what? He isn't world class and wouldn't transform our defence either. You can be one of the better defenders in your league and still not be that great, it's that type of era for CB's at the moment.

Anyway, this is boring as feck. I'm busy watching Roma where Manolas who is a top 5 defender out there wouldn't transform our defence either. Enjoy your day.

Seven Seas Sardines

I just hung out with two Italians for three days who are big Milan and Roma supporters. They both agreed he was a monster and they follow Italian football intensely, probably more so than Mick321 and his YouTube compilations.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You seem to think calling someone not as good as the hype means I'm calling them shit. Totally clueless, impossible to debate with someone this dim.

Again, given you can't read, he's a good player, one of the better defenders in Serie A, top 5 or so. But he isn't world class and wouldn't come here and transform our defence. Toby Alderweireld is a top 5 defender in England and guess what? He isn't world class and wouldn't transform our defence either. You can be one of the better defenders in your league and still not be that great, it's that type of era for CB's at the moment.

Anyway, this is boring as feck. I'm busy watching Roma where Manolas who is a top 5 defender out there wouldn't transform our defence either. Enjoy your day.
So erm.... hes top 5 in Seria A but wouldn't transform our defence.... even though Phil Jones is starting week in week out... sure.

Mick321

So erm.... hes top 5 in Seria A but wouldn't transform our defence.... even though Phil Jones is starting week in week out... sure.
Correct. See this is the problem, you overrate others because we have crap at our own club.

Status
Not open for further replies.