Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabz

I think if we are after him we should go all out his window. He won't be cup tied and beside an emerging Lindelof we could have some consistent stability at the back.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Signing Koubilaly is one signing I am fine with pursuing without a DoF or permanent manager. There is universal agreement that we need a top class CB, and he is the best defender in the world who is potentially on the market. No manager is not going to want him.

You sell Rojo and Bailly, neither of whom are anywhere near the required class, sign KK, and have the homegrown Smalling, Jones and Tuanzebe as back ups.

We can get a combined 40m pounds for those two. 15 for Rojo, 25 for Bailly, and splash about 90m on KK. A net spend of about 50M on him is a no brainer.

ravi2

Signing Koubilaly is one signing I am fine with pursuing without a DoF or permanent manager. There is universal agreement that we need a top class CB, and he is the best defender in the world who is potentially on the market. No manager is not going to want him.

You sell Rojo and Bailly, neither of whom are anywhere near the required class, sign KK, and have the homegrown Smalling, Jones and Tuanzebe as back ups.

We can get a combined 40m pounds for those two. 15 for Rojo, 25 for Bailly, and splash about 90m on KK. A net spend of about 50M on him is a no brainer.

Phil Jones as Backup? Did you see the game today? He needs to GO asap

-Supreme-

Agreed. I'd give Jones a new contract and he'd be an adequate backup CB

We should get about 60 million for both Rojo and Bailey and whereas Jones we won't get a penny.

Paul778

The rest of the team has stepped up.

The defence is a clear weakness and i don't believe the existing players there will make a solid unit without intervention.

Make the offer now. It could be the difference between top 4 or not. After today we've seen Ole has some smarts as well as making the team happy.

Also if we leave it to the summer we will be battling with far more clubs to get him.

Just get it done.

Reactions: Ødegaard

marktan

Top defender who I'd be happy to sign, only slight downside is that he'll be 28 in the summer if we do get him. We signed Rio and Vidic both when they were around 25, so ideally we'd have gotten Koulibaly in when he was a bit younger, but not many other top CB options available currently.

Andersons Dietician

He's better than Bailly and Rojo, and is homegrown. I'd keep him.
Never really though of that homegrown thing but that is a good point. In an ideal world he’d be moved on as I mean he just isn’t fit enough long enough to be relied upon.

Koilibaly looks like a good player but I’ve never really been blown away when I’ve seen him play and at 28 and the money talked about it seems risky. If he was 25 or something then no problem.

Napoli are playing now against Sassuolo on BT sports.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

The defence is a clear weakness and i don't believe the existing players there will make a solid unit without intervention.

Make the offer now. It could be the difference between top 4 or not. After today we've seen Ole has some smarts as well as making the team happy.

Also if we leave it to the summer we will be battling with far more clubs to get him.

Just get it done.

This !

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's definitely not as good as Van Dijk, not as good in the air and he slide tackles way too much which is never a good sign for a defender. Much better than what we've got but if people are expecting a Van Dijk transformation they'll end up disappointed.
Wrong way round. Koulibaly is a clearly superior defender, most of Van Dijk's game is physical (regularly makes positional errors and has lapses in concentration).

Van Dijk is regularly shown up against top quality players, Koulibaly on the other hand regularly pockets top players. Van Dijk is perfect for this bum rush, physical league.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
People talk a lot about the spine of a team. There is three quarters of a spine; think about how strong a spine of DDG-Koulibaly-Pogba-Rashford could be.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Top defender who I'd be happy to sign, only slight downside is that he'll be 28 in the summer if we do get him. We signed Rio and Vidic both when they were around 25, so ideally we'd have gotten Koulibaly in when he was a bit younger, but not many other top CB options available currently.
If he can settle right in it's not an issue. Big if, but he looks like the type that could do it.

If he needs a season or more to get in to the swing of things it's quite a large percentage of his time at the club.

King.of.Red

Hopefully the board & Ed wont care about money, just bring Koulibaly to Old Trafford. He will be best partner for Lindelof. Smalling can be back up. Just sell Jones & Rojo. Bailly, wait and see for now.

Mick321

Wrong way round. Koulibaly is a clearly superior defender, most of Van Dijk's game is physical (regularly makes positional errors and has lapses in concentration).

Van Dijk is regularly shown up against top quality players, Koulibaly on the other hand regularly pockets top players. Van Dijk is perfect for this bum rush, physical league.
:lol: Yeah that's nonsense, sorry. Koulibaly just got shown up and cost them CL qualification.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
:lol: Yeah that's nonsense, sorry. Koulibaly just got shown up and cost them CL qualification.
You must have slept through that game. Salah got one sniff the whole game which was a botched regulation save by Ospina. Napoli on the other hand missed 3 or 4 sitters which would have got them the away goal to go through. Not to mention him being excellent against Liverpool and PSG in other games.

Van Dijk on the other hand was lucky not to get sent off for a dangerous tackle on Mertens that cleaned out his shin and ankle.

Mick321

Napoli on the other hand missed 3 or 4 sitters which would have got them the away goal to go through.
:lol: Yeah you've just totally made that up. I remember watching that game absolutely fuming at how little such a good attacking team created. They had one sitter late on which Milik had saved, other than that they annoyingly did nothing.

Napoli's xg was 0.9 so would love to see a video of all these sitters.

Devil may care

This is why clubs would get ruined, if run by fans. We have to be realistic here. We have some areas in the squad to strengthen. CB, LB (back up), RB, CM and RW.

We can’t just go and afford to splash obscene amounts on players. If we were a CB signiaway from competing for the league, I’d love for us to go out and spend €100m on Koulibaly. However, the reality is we’re not. We need to strengthen in other areas too.

For January, if we could, I’d sell Rojo, Jones & Darmian and then bring in TA, De Ligt & De Jong.
The bolded 2 will cost best part of £150M easily, not exactly bargain basement stuff, and I am guessing TA is Alderweireld? He's declining and would be coming here for a last big payday, not the mindset or profile we need IMO.

red thru&thru

The bolded 2 will cost best part of £150M easily, not exactly bargain basement stuff, and I am guessing TA is Alderweireld? He's declining and would be coming here for a last big payday, not the mindset or profile we need IMO.
De Ligt & De Jong are going to give you more of an investment. TA for £25m for 18 months to two years is fine.

Devil may care

De Ligt & De Jong are going to give you more of an investment. TA for £25m for 18 months to two years is fine.
Don't get me wrong I'd be ecstatic if we signed de Ligt and de Jong but you started out like you were about to go on a budget kick, that outlay on two players who are still unproven to a degree is massive. Alderweireld would be a waste of money, you have to factor in the wages he'll be wanting, he's declined a lot this season and he's poor in the air, something we struggle with all of the time without Smalling. If de Ligt and de Jong came here they'd be coming for the "project" we present as they'll have offers from the elite of Europe, Alderweireld is a pure Schweinsteiger situation only minus any love for United, just the huge salary we'd offer for a player that isn't suited to partner Lindelof and who has regressed a lot.

Mick321

Nothing wrong with a slide tackle in a controlled,timed manner.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. Is that mean't to be impressive or? He should be taking the ball off him easily there while standing up. Makes a nice highlight but really not impressive.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. Is that mean't to be impressive or? He should be taking the ball off him easily there while standing up. Makes a nice highlight but really not impressive.
You’re clearly either a WUM or live in cloud cookoo land

Mick321

You’re clearly either a WUM or live in cloud cookoo land
And you are clearly clueless if you think slide tackling all the time is a sign of top defending.

Occasionally is fine, sometimes it's the only option but if a defender is doing it multiple times a game something is wrong with them or their positioning.

Rocknrolla69er

Im amazed people think Jones is worth keeping, his positioning and concentration are poor, he often lets the player he’s marking get goal side which results in a risky last ditch recovery tackle. Set pieces his concentrations lower league standard. Charging out of defence to make challenges leaving huge gaps, ball watching and not dropping back in, the list goes on

Teams target him he’s that bad, he had his teammates and De Gaea to thank for digging him out as well as poor Spurs finishing. He was just as bad against Newcastle the first 15 minutes he looked league one level

All I can think of is the people who want him to stay have no defensive nous as it’s a baffling thought process.

Nick.

He and Lindelof could be a great pairing as they can both pass so our build up improves and opposition sides can't press high and target Lindelof leaving us without a ball player to work with in defence

VanGaalEra

Just go all out for him this window and we might be able to make something good out of this season.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I can't see us paying a big fee for any player this month.

If Ole was to get the job permanently then Woody may sanction a transfer this month otherwise it will be in the summer.

ravi2

Just get it done.
Exactly, we have a great chance of top 4 now its just that our defense cannot be relied on. We need to move aggressively for a top CB but it'll be worth it

ravi2

Im amazed people think Jones is worth keeping, his positioning and concentration are poor, he often lets the player he’s marking get goal side which results in a risky last ditch recovery tackle. Set pieces his concentrations lower league standard. Charging out of defence to make challenges leaving huge gaps, ball watching and not dropping back in, the list goes on

Teams target him he’s that bad, he had his teammates and De Gaea to thank for digging him out as well as poor Spurs finishing. He was just as bad against Newcastle the first 15 minutes he looked league one level

All I can think of is the people who want him to stay have no defensive nous as it’s a baffling thought process.
The latest argument is that we should keep him because he is homegrown. Such bullshit if you ask me

RedDevilRoshi

Pay the money to bring him in now.

Could prove to be the difference in us finishing in the top 4 and going deep into the CL this season. Leaving it till the summer is going to be a risk as a number of other clubs will also be in for him.

Ideal partner for Victor Lindelof at CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For all the talk, which I get, of a potential Koulibaily/Lindelöf partnership, I can’t help but think a Smalling/Koulibaily partnership would be rock solid.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jones is not better than Bailly and he needs to go based on his injury record alone. Smalling and Lindelof are the 2 CB's we should focus on keeping.
To be fair, Jones has been better than Bailly for the last 18 months. Injury-wise there isn't much between them either.

Of course Jones has been with us for 8 years now so it's fair to say we know that he's not going to get any better. Bailly has 'only' been here 3 years so there's still a chance.

E-mal

We have scored more than chelsea this season but have conceded far more, hence why we are 6 points behind. It is clear as day that defence is were we need to strengthen and getting Koullibaly in now gives us a great chance of getting top four.

CognitiveNeuro

You must have slept through that game. Salah got one sniff the whole game which was a botched regulation save by Ospina. Napoli on the other hand missed 3 or 4 sitters which would have got them the away goal to go through. Not to mention him being excellent against Liverpool and PSG in other games.

Van Dijk on the other hand was lucky not to get sent off for a dangerous tackle on Mertens that cleaned out his shin and ankle.
:lol: Koulibaly got owned by Salah....looked like Boateng against Messi.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I can't see us paying a big fee for any player this month.

If Ole was to get the job permanently then Woody may sanction a transfer this month otherwise it will be in the summer.
I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong, but surely if the opportunity to sign Koulibaly comes up it should be taken regardless of managerial situation. Surely there’s not a manager out there who wouldn’t want to work with him next season, especially compared to what we have right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.