Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Sign him now and loan back til end of season if needed.

I think we should be getting rain CBs. Fairly sure Alderweild will be one of them.

I’d love Maguire.

Devil may care

We can still get top 4 regardless if we just focus on playing the way we should and have some trust in what we have to see it through. We had second best defense in epl since last two years, it just doesn't go so bad in half a season other than managers poor defensive tactics and his methods shooting down the confidence of our players.
We also played a lot more defensive in the last 2 seasons. I agree with you that Mourinho damaged the confidence of a lot of players but now we are playing a high attacking line the CB's are coughing up chances against even poor sides, they just haven't had the firepower to punish us like the better teams do, and right now we are using Phil Jones which shouldn't be a thing in 2019. I just feel Koulibaly could be the type of buy that makes the difference.

RooneyLegend

Funny how the VVD transfer has convinced every one that an expensive CB can transform a whole club.

Devil may care

Funny how the VVD transfer has convinced every one that an expensive CB can transform a whole club.
That's not what I'm saying personally, I think he can shore up the defense to help us get top 4 but we obviously have more problems than that, in Liverpool's case van Dijk and the keeper they bought were the final 2 pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.

RooneyLegend

That's not what I'm saying personally, I think he can shore up the defense to help us get top 4 but we obviously have more problems than that, in Liverpool's case van Dijk and the keeper they bought were the final 2 pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.
Exactly, we're far from blowing our load on 2 players like they did to complete their side.

TrebleFan99

Exactly, we're far from blowing our load on 2 players like they did to complete their side.
So don't buy then?

Not sure how that helps. To your point we are way behind and had better start spending on real quality to keep up.

TrebleFan99

Oh I agree we need more than one or two CBs.

Just feel like we're Man United and there's definitely money to spend. Too bad the Glazers would rather milk the club dry.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s true though, 1 player can make all the difference. Plenty of history to show that.

Ronaldo, messi, cantona, Rooney at 1 point.. many many more.

I’ve never seen anybody handle salah as well as koulibaly did, that sold it for me. The perfect modern defender.

ravi2

One world class can likely transform any club if the fit is right. Ive seen it more than a few times over the years.

Even if we dont acquire Koulibaly a experienced leader type CB like Toby or Godin would have a trans formative effect on our defense, in my opinion.

We never even came close to replacing either Rio and Vidic and the effects are still being felt today.

RooneyLegend

It’s true though, 1 player can make all the difference. Plenty of history to show that.

Ronaldo, messi, cantona, Rooney at 1 point.. many many more.

I’ve never seen anybody handle salah as well as koulibaly did, that sold it for me. The perfect modern defender.
Out of those players only Cantona has proven to make an unreal difference and even then it was the perfect storm. We had quality everywhere and he was the final piece.

Look at that disjointed Argentina side, even with Messi they don't look up to much, Portugal neither and these are some of the best players ever seen.

I don't question how good he is, IMO he's the 2nd best defender in the world behind T.Silva. I do question the logic of spunking our load on him especially with how many players we need. We simply don't have the budget to be buying that many players at outrageous prices. If you could tell me it's the only weak position in our side I'd be all for it as he's quite brilliant.

RMD83

Well sadly in that one instance it does seem to be the case. That one player has solidified a weak defence and in return has made that defence impressive, so much so that Loren being injured is seen as a huge blow (imagine that a year ago). I’m afraid we are where they were a year ago and a colossal CB is our priority.

RooneyLegend

Well sadly in that one instance it does seem to be the case. That one player has solidified a weak defence and in return has made that defence impressive, so much so that Loren being injured is seen as a huge blow (imagine that a year ago). I’m afraid we are where they were a year ago and a colossal CB is our priority.
We are not where they were a year ago. We are an attacker short, we're not sure about our midfield, and our fullbacks are far from convincing.

RMD83

We are not where they were a year ago. We are an attacker short, we're not sure about our midfield, and our fullbacks are far from convincing.
And we had, and still have a vastly better keeper and a better squad, where does it end? In Short a year ago they were good going forward and abysmal in defence. We are good going forward and not as bad in defence as they were. A VVD level addition would make a massive difference for us.

Canagel

Does it matter which comes first? We need a quality centre back either way ,whether it comes before or after other positions it will still have to be done.

RooneyLegend

Does it matter which comes first? We need a quality centre back either way ,whether it comes before or after other positions it will still have to be done.
If we only have 250 million surely spending 100 million on one center back isn't all that intelligent, surely?

Canagel

If we only have 250 million surely spending 100 million on one center back isn't all that intelligent, surely?
250? I would be thinking we could have closer to 300. If we sold some of the deadwood to generate some funds. The money is there we hardly spent last summer so there shouldn't be problem with 100 for CB and more to buy RB, RW, DM.

Last edited:

sam147

I dont get why people are moaning about prices. Better to spend on players than let it be leeched. If we were a serious club we would want two CBs. This is why we need a DOF. Who is deciding our signings right now? We are going into the summer unprepared. A DOF would be able to tell Smalling isnt a United player and Jones doesnt need a contract. If we want to challenge for a title we need someone of Koulibalys calibre. Jones, Smalling and Rojo out. Koulibaly and Militao in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Whatever the case, we need to go all out for a center back. Not feck around with that and try to go for hidden gems. There are a handful of truly elite CBs who will be moving soon, and we have to grab one of them. Koulibaly, Skriniar, De Ligt, anyone like that. They are guaranteed stars. You need one of those before you can start experimenting in the defence, and that's what we lack now. That top player. Spend 100m if we have to on one player, we tried doing that with Lukaku at striker, cant cheap out at the back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we spent 75m on Van Dijk and 100m on a right wing, our team would be pretty much complete. We have 2 obvious problem positions, and the rest we have potential solutions or unfulfilled potential but can make do with what we have. Right wing we have nothing, and we lack the main CB. I'd be delighted if we made 2 signings this summer and that's it - if they were the 2 right players.

Trying to address our squad and starter issues in one go with one budget and splitting it all equally isnt a smart way to go about it. We have plenty of filler types. We need the star man in defence and need to go all out on that.

Canuckred64

I would spend whatever is available to fix our defence.
I dont get why people are moaning about prices. Better to spend on players than let it be leeched. If we were a serious club we would want two CBs. This is why we need a DOF. Who is deciding our signings right now? We are going into the summer unprepared. A DOF would be able to tell Smalling isnt a United player and Jones doesnt need a contract. If we want to challenge for a title we need someone of Koulibalys calibre. Jones, Smalling and Rojo out. Koulibaly and Militao in.
Have to agree about Jones, Smalling and Rojo We do need two top CB's, and Koulibaly only the first step to fix our defense. Miliato might be a good move, but not sure if he is ready to start in the Premier. Skriniar could step right in and start right away. We should spend whatever it takes to bring in two top CB's and then look to sort out our FB's. There's no point in lining the owners pockets.

Jibbs

I think we wont go for Koulibaly, we will try our best to get Manolas now and de Ligt in summers. While Koulibaly will instantly improve our side, the other two are better suited for long term.

Ekeke

I think we wont go for Koulibaly, we will try our best to get Manolas now and de Ligt in summers. While Koulibaly will instantly improve our side, the other two are better suited for long term.
What makes Manolas better suited long term? He's a small amount younger and no better than what we have.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Koulibaly and his ridiculous pace would fit like a glove in the high line Ole seems to prefer.

Poch likes his defensive line a good 10 yards lower, doesn't he?

This is something the club must take into consideration and it probably makes Koulibaly less of "a no brainer" than we might think.

It could be wise to wait until the summer. Except I don't want to. :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Is there only me who's convinced this transfer won't happen? Especially with someone like De Ligt available for less (if he hasn't already agreed to go elsewhere). Just doesn't feel like the kind of transfer we'd be spending £100m on.

onemanarmy

Is there only me who's convinced this transfer won't happen? Especially with someone like De Ligt available for less (if he hasn't already agreed to go elsewhere). Just doesn't feel like the kind of transfer we'd be spending £100m on.
I would be surprised if both De Jong and De Ligt aren't ending up at Barcelona.

Adam-Utd

De Ligt isn't better than Koulibaly yet.

Whether he would even want to join us, we don't know. I'm sure if he's available we'll be making an approach.

IMO Koulibaly is the best CB available right now, some other great ones for the future.

Koulibaly alongside or younger CB's in Lindelof / Bailly would be good.

Ekeke

Whether he would even want to join us, we don't know. I'm sure if he's available we'll be making an approach.

IMO Koulibaly is the best CB available right now, some other great ones for the future.

What makes him available when hes just signed a contract?

Adam-Utd

What makes him available when hes just signed a contract?
What do contracts really mean? They're used as protection to get the highest amount possible. Look at Ronaldo with us, Coutinho at Lpool etc.

If we pay what Napoli want then they'll sell him. If we don't he stays. I really can't see them ignoring a £75m offer for 1 player, that's huge money to a club like Napoli.

If they do, fair play. We will move on to another target instead.

Ekeke

What do contracts really mean? They're used as protection to get the highest amount possible. Look at Ronaldo with us, Coutinho at Lpool etc.

If we pay what Napoli want then they'll sell him. If we don't he stays. I really can't see them ignoring a £75m offer for 1 player, that's huge money to a club like Napoli.

If they do, fair play. We will move on to another target instead.
I think that goes for almost every player other than the likes of Messi. If you pay what the club wants they're available but the price puts everyone off. I think he's "available" in the same way everyone but 1% of players are. If you pay too much for him you can get him. I don't know if there are any CBs who arent available under those circumstances

Adam-Utd

I think that goes for almost every player other than the likes of Messi. If you pay what the club wants they're available but the price puts everyone off. I think he's "available" in the same way everyone but 1% of players are. If you pay too much for him you can get him. I don't know if there are any CBs who arent available under those circumstances
Well, exactly. You've just answered your own question :lol: Napoli obviously don't want to lose him, I don't think it'll happen this January unless they can get a suitable replacement.

These are the types we should be aiming for though, no point buying another 20 year old next best thing. We've got Tuanzebe/Lindelof/Bailly who are all young, Smalling is our only senior CB. Jones/Rojo will be gone this summer.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

I agree with this.

Fosu-Mens

If we think we can challenge for the title next season with 2/3 upgrades: Sign Koulibaly.

If we think that it would take longer time/more money: Sign De ligt.

We will make top 4 next season, but not close to the title. 20/21 is the earliest. Build/buy for the future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If we think we can challenge for the title next season with 2/3 upgrades: Sign Koulibaly.

If we think that it would take longer time/more money: Sign De ligt.

We will make top 4 next season, but not close to the title. 20/21 is the earliest. Build/buy for the future.
We could depending on the manager etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hopefully yes.
Likely? No.

Squad not good enough, and if Pogba get injured for some time we are f***ed. Too many players to replace in the next two years. Difference in quality between us and City/Liverpool is to big.
We agree to disagree. I do not think Liverpool have so much more quality except at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.