Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylock

Buy Koulibaly or Skriniar in January. We should look to buy de ligt in the summer and get rid of Jones, rojo,Damian, Valencia and either smalling or Bailly.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Napoli have just turned down €80m from PSG for Allan. Daring them to go up to €100m to sell.

Koulibaly will cost €120m now and in the summer. Wait and see

crossy1686

career ending
Is spending north of £100m on a 27 year old defender wise? He's never played in the PL and doesn't speak English (hard to organise a defence that doesn't understand), it's going to take him at least a season to settle in and get used to things. We should be looking at someone who's on par with what we've currently got but will be much better in a season or two. Look at how Lindelof has come on under a decent manager, he was even putting in MOM performances under Mourinho. He looks like a bargain at the moment.

United Pro

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Fosu-Mens

We agree to disagree. I do not think Liverpool have so much more quality except at the back.
I think the only position we are better in terms of quality and depth is GK.
Defense: They have better defenders, around the same depth.
Midfielders: We can maybe field the best 3, but Liverpool have superior depth. And two of our starting midfielders are aging, and the backups clearly not good enough.
Attack: You seriously think that our front 3 is better than theirs? You could possibly argue that our depth is better if you still think Sanchez have something to offer and Lukuaku can receive and pass the ball.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems like this is on for the summer

thepolice123

100m is a ridiculous amount even for a defender like Koulibaly. He's an unknown entity in PL and like Baily he relies a lot on his physical attributes defend. Not a big fan of the Alderweid transfer but I'd very much rather use the money on him and other reinforcements instead.

koop

We are Man f*#*#ing United! Sell Rojo, Jones and Bailly and splash out on Koulibaly and De Ligt. 150m+ who cares, we should be spending like this if we are to take ourselves seriously. Since when and how are we not linked to be favourites for these stars/potential stars.

POF

Funny how the VVD transfer has convinced every one that an expensive CB can transform a whole club.
Irrespective of the price, signing a top class defender can make a huge difference. United signing Vidic was a huge turning point for the club. A solid defence is the difference between sloppy dropped points and a scratchy 1-0 win.

ravi2

We are Man f*#*#ing United! Sell Rojo, Jones and Bailly and splash out on Koulibaly and De Ligt. 150m+ who cares, we should be spending like this if we are to take ourselves seriously. Since when and how are we not linked to be favourites for these stars/potential stars.
Its true, we are going to have to make some bold, aggressive moves in the transfer market if we want to seriously challenge city and get back to winning titles

red thru&thru

This is why clubs would get ruined, if run by fans. We have to be realistic here. We have some areas in the squad to strengthen. CB, LB (back up), RB, CM and RW.

We can’t just go and afford to splash obscene amounts on players. If we were a CB signiaway from competing for the league, I’d love for us to go out and spend €100m on Koulibaly. However, the reality is we’re not. We need to strengthen in other areas too.

For January, if we could, I’d sell Rojo, Jones & Darmian and then bring in TA, De Ligt & De Jong.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
In the summer might be too late as other clubs will go for him and we'll face tough competition.

RooneyLegend

Irrespective of the price, signing a top class defender can make a huge difference. United signing Vidic was a huge turning point for the club. A solid defence is the difference between sloppy dropped points and a scratchy 1-0 win.
Us signing Evra, Vidic and Carrick made the difference. Not Vidic alone. We don't have quality throughout the squad as we didn't back then hence we needed so many players to complete the side, exactly what we need now. Not just one ultra expensive defender, several high quality players.

Sanche7

The figures of 80-100 million is a huge amount, but if we get him this window (chances are slim), he will play a big role in us getting into top 4 and going deep into the CL. And if we do that, he would have already paid back a portion of his transfer fee

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The figures of 80-100 million is a huge amount, but if we get him this window (chances are slim), he will play a big role in us getting into top 4 and going deep into the CL. And if we do that, he has already paid back a portion of his transfer fee
Agree 100%

POF

Us signing Evra, Vidic and Carrick made the difference. Not Vidic alone. We don't have quality throughout the squad as we didn't back then hence we needed so many players to complete the side, exactly what we need now. Not just one ultra expensive defender, several high quality players.
Whether it's 1 or 5, the most important thing in a signing is that they're good enough. United need a defensive leader to organise the backline and have done for years. If it takes big money, so be it. Better that than 3 failed attempts to do it on the cheap.

I think you are greatly underselling Vidic's influence by the way. Sure, other players improved the side too but his signing turned the defence from a major area of weakness to the strength of the team.

RooneyLegend

This is why clubs would get ruined, if run by fans. We have to be realistic here. We have some areas in the squad to strengthen. CB, LB (back up), RB, CM and RW.

We can’t just go and afford to splash obscene amounts on players. If we were a CB signiaway from competing for the league, I’d love for us to go out and spend €100m on Koulibaly. However, the reality is we’re not. We need to strengthen in other areas too.

For January, if we could, I’d sell Rojo, Jones & Darmian and then bring in TA, De Ligt & De Jong.
This, it's so hard to explain this to people on this forum.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is he that good?
Watch him against PSG And Liverpool this recent CL. Sure there will be highlights.

I’ve never seen a defender deal with Mbappe and Salah as well as he did. Add to the fact he’s great on the ball too, he’s as good as Van Dijk IMO.

meamth

Watch him against PSG And Liverpool this recent CL. Sure there will be highlights.

I’ve never seen a defender deal with Mbappe and Salah as well as he did. Add to the fact he’s great on the ball too, he’s as good as Van Dijk IMO.
Sign him up then, maybe we can win those Van Dijk's purists on caf.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Im not sure he is aerially, he’s certainly quicker and I think on the ball he is. Different CBs but same level. Those two together would be insane.

Eric's Seagull

Chelsea and arsenal are looking to invest this window, we are behind them in the league. Pay the money now and get this top 4 and it will save money in the long run. Koulibaly would make a huge difference.
Think this is a good point as I think we have a lot better chance of making top 4 than a few weeks ago, as our rivals may be signing players now, this deal would make sense.

Going to be very hard to pull off but he would be only signing I would make before DoF is brought in. If we were to acquire him now it would help us as I believe it would make us more attractive if we have Champions league football.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Surprised at people questioning £100m for a defender. It’s the going rate for a top quality player now, we just need to get used to it.

If he’s that good and has the ability to transform our defence (which you’d expect a world class defender to do), we should pay it without question.

Adam-Utd

Im not sure he is aerially, he’s certainly quicker and I think on the ball he is. Different CBs but same level. Those two together would be insane.
Obviously isn’t quite as tall as VVD but he seems pretty good in the air himself, haven’t checked the stats though.

Litch

If one of the best CB's in the world, the clearly you are probably going to have to break the transfer record for him.

An Irish Red

If he's as good as Van Dijk (as many people have stated) then we should pay whatever it takes to get him.

Trying to find 'bargains' at centre-back hasn't worked; we need to pay what it takes to sort the position out properly.

Eric's Seagull

If he's as good as Van Dijk (as many people have stated) then we should pay whatever it takes to get him.

Trying to find 'bargains' at centre-back hasn't worked; we need to pay what it takes to sort the position out properly.
Agree with this. I think people should get used to having to pay stupid money for players these days or we are not going to get them.

It has been such a problem position for us that we just go for him and feck the fee.

Last edited:

Mick321

He's definitely not as good as Van Dijk, not as good in the air and he slide tackles way too much which is never a good sign for a defender. Much better than what we've got but if people are expecting a Van Dijk transformation they'll end up disappointed.

Jericholyte2

He's definitely not as good as Van Dijk, not as good in the air and he slide tackles way too much which is never a good sign for a defender. Much better than what we've got but if people are expecting a Van Dijk transformation they'll end up disappointed.
Now I’ve got a friend who follows Serie A religiously who has it down that he’s actually quite a bit better than VVD when comes to actual defending, just not necessarily the leadership side of things that VVD has.

Adam-Utd

Nothing wrong with a slide tackle in a controlled,timed manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.