Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I do not want a world record fee CB who can’t command the line like VVD does.

Those are the only types of defenders that are worth it or if young enough to turn into those types of CBs. Koulibaly is 28 and he can’t command the line. Media would bombard him and United due to his price tag and that cloud would always be over us.

If anything, would much rather De Light or Varane. If they’re unattainable, I’d much rather settle for Alderweireld...we aren’t in a position to spend half our transfer budget on one player especially not having that key trait to make him special. It might make sense if we were a piece or two away from being legitimate contenders but we aren’t so let’s build up piece by piece and not try taking huge leaps and being left disappointed such as we have with Alexis. The right fit is most important and I don’t think he is considering the rebuild United are in. Look at City, yes they’ve spent a lot but they’ve found value in £30m-£50m range buys. We can too. It’s not always about hype.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Without a doubt
Quality over quantity everytime
We have to learn from the past windows or we'll find ourselves in the same predicament. Rojo, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger just to name a few. Blow the lot on genuine top quality rather than gather more plodders for a future cull.

The Nani

I'd rather us spend all our budget on three clear upgrades, rather than bring in more future deadwood like Toby.
Without doubt. But that is highly unlikely. Do you really think we'll sign Koulibaly, Sancho and Felix/Jovic for instance? That would probably cost near £300m. It's not happening.

We are seriously lacking in quality options up front and out wide(winger and fullback). Also need another creative influence in midfield. Putting out that kind of outlay toward a CB just doesn't make sense for us right now unless it's de Ligt. He's the only CB around I see who's worth breaking the bank for. But there's little chance of that happening so might as well look at alternative options. Koulibaly looks anything but a sure thing to me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Without doubt. But that is highly unlikely. Do you really think we'll sign Koulibaly, Sancho and Felix/Jovic for instance? That would probably cost near £300m. It's not happening.

We are seriously lacking in quality options up front and out wide(winger and fullback). Also need another creative influence in midfield. Putting out that kind of outlay toward a CB just doesn't make sense for us right now unless it's de Ligt. He's the only CB around I see who's worth breaking the bank for. But there's little chance of that happening so might as well look at alternative options. Koulibaly looks anything but a sure thing to me.
Personally i'd blow the whole budget on a CB, RB, DM, RW and target players that are clear upgrades rather than buy more players who won't be of the required standard. I'm hoping some of the youngsters like Mason,Chong and Gomes also are deemed good enough to be squad options next season.

How would you spend the £££'s, on which players?

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I'd rather us spend all our budget on three clear upgrades, rather than bring in more future deadwood like Toby.
I disagree.

Look at Pep and City for example. Sure he’s spent a lot of money but he hasn’t splashed tons of money on single players. They’ve spread out the money pretty evenly and just target players who fit what they are looking for and block out the outside noise as they fit right in.

Stones £50m, Sane £45m, Jesus £28m, Gundogan £24m, Mendy £50m, Walker £47m, Silva £45m, Ederson £36m...only player over £50m was Laporte at £58m and Mahrez who was a luxury buy at £61m. What it’s saying is you can find value at “cheaper” price tags (modern football lol) and don’t have to be going for £70m, £80m+ players and leaving you depleted on the other things you need to buy. There’s value to be had out there but you just need to target it and be committed.

...Alexis is a complete flop and his price tag overshadows him. Pogba despite being inconsistent (who isn’t on our team?) is our most talented player who had an amazing season (stats) especially if you consider the slow start when José was in charge - still gets crap because everyone views him as that world record fee footballer. I don’t like the cloud that casts because of it and don’t want anymore of that circus unless for an upcoming phenom like De Light who I would gladly pay over £100m for or possibly Varane below that number. Koulibaly just doesn’t fit with the direction our club is going (resetting/rebuilding) and he’d be no different and get slammed by the media on a daily basis.

Let's instead be like City, spend for “cheaper value”, and target the right fits unless there’s an exception to be had for a young phenom. Fred for £53m is looking quality and looks like he’ll be a regular and reliable. So will Dalot eventually at £19m. Lindelof at £30m looks like a bargain as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We'll get him for 65 million and he'll be an instant success. What he did with that ball during the game against Napoli was world class. Watch it.

Jim Reaper

Erm, no. We bought the wrong players. It's not that we were cheapskates as we spent loads of money. You're basically saying feck value for money just pay up. Do you even realize that would mean spending over half our summer budget on a CB? It's ridiculous.
How do you know what the budget is?How do you know we have one and its not just on a per player basis?

Do you realise that the 150m number is likely to be posturing?

We signed players for lots of money, yes. Players that didnt deserve the fee. Now with Koulibaly, he is amongst the best CB's in world football currently. Van Dijk, De Ligt, Varane, Koulibaly etc...they will all command high fees. If you want a player of that calibre then you pay the price. If the club has decided that Koulibaly is the guy then the fee should not matter. Especially to you. It is not coming from your wallet.

I see people saying just get Toby. The guy is on a steep decline now. Just because he is 25m or there abouts...That is not a reason to sign him. Would he improve the defense? yes, for a brief period. Is he as good as Koulibaly? not imo. Koulibaly would also give us more years of service at a higher level.

Lets sign Toby now for 25m and then need to spend around another 100m in 2-3 years to replace him. Unsettling the defense again. Yeah, sounds good. Saves money, right?

Signing players because they are a cheaper option or more marketable than the standout candidate is why we have a squad full of deadweight. You said wrong players, i agree. Most of our signings had better options available and as a club that is the mega brand that it is - the fee should not be an issue. Wages is another matter.

De Ligt would be mine and i suspect most other peoples first choice but Koulibaly would be second and i tend to believe that Napoli would accept a offer of around 100m if a concrete offer was made. Would Liverpool have decided not to sign Van Dijk if they knew what he offered them now but Southampton wanted 15m more?...Id bet that they would throw that extra 15m at him.

Koulibaly, can in my opinon have the same kind of effect for us.

Thomas Hunter

I do not want a world record fee CB who can’t command the line like VVD does.

Those are the only types of defenders that are worth it or if young enough to turn into those types of CBs. Koulibaly is 28 and he can’t command the line. Media would bombard him and United due to his price tag and that cloud would always be over us.

If anything, would much rather De Light or Varane. If they’re unattainable, I’d much rather settle for Alderweireld...we aren’t in a position to spend half our transfer budget on one player especially not having that key trait to make him special. It might make sense if we were a piece or two away from being legitimate contenders but we aren’t so let’s build up piece by piece and not try taking huge leaps and being left disappointed such as we have with Alexis. The right fit is most important and I don’t think he is considering the rebuild United are in. Look at City, yes they’ve spent a lot but they’ve found value in £30m-£50m range buys. We can too. It’s not always about hype.
Not entirely true. First because Lindelof have this trait of commanding a line as you say, also, Varane doesnt command Real Madrid's defense, Ramos does. Koulibaly is one of the best if not the best option we have for that CB position. I wouldnt go more than 100m though.

One thing people seem to hardly realize: you want to be a top team, you need to have the top players. Anyway I think any speculation before the end of the season is irrelevant because if we dont finish top 4, we will likely be in "rebuild" mode. But if we clinch a CL spot, then we will be playing for titles next season.

Jim Reaper

Personally i'd blow the whole budget on a CB, RB, DM, RW and target players that are clear upgrades rather than buy more players who won't be of the required standard. I'm hoping some of the youngsters like Mason,Chong and Gomes also are deemed good enough to be squad options next season.

The problem is, none of us know what the budget is. Maybe there isnt one. Maybe its per position.

100m for a CB
50m for a RB
100m for CM's
50m for RW

For example. We do not know. It could also be that its more of a case of what ever it costs, we have 3 or 4 targets for each position, lets just see which is a better deal at the negotiation table.

In the current market, transfer fees are only rising and therefore budgets will aswell.

I think alot of people will be shocked but how much we can and will spend. Im not saying that i 100 percent believe we will spend 300m plus because we are owned by the Glazers. The club is losing power at the negotiation table for those big marketing deals that they seem to love. Sponsorships at risk of losing worth etc. Maybe that will prompt some big investment into trying to restore quality and keep attracting those deals because at the moment we are only going to slide further and further from the big European and Prem teams and those guys will start getting all those deals that Woodward loves so much.

On the business side of things, it makes sense to make big investments now. New generations of fans will see us as mid table losers and sponsors will be turned off unless we do something.

That is how i hope the 'board' see it anyway.

The Nani

I think we're starving for a quality, clinical striker as much or more than anything else. How can we expect to achieve anything if we don't have one consistent goal scorer to rely on? Also seriously lacking in creativity in midfield and out wide. Again, we're not getting anywhere if we can't score goals.

ST Jovic or Felix £75m ?
RW Sancho £100m+ (whatever it takes)
Creative CM Bruno Fernandes £50m
Experienced CB Alderweireld £25m
Experienced RB Meunier or Sidibe £25m

Selling Lukaku and some of the deadwood would probably net us at least £75m. So in the neighborhood £200m net spend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - he’s the perfect player for oles high pressing, quick passing from the back style.

That counter he did was absolutely magestic, what a pass with his weak foot too! none of our defenders can do that.

He also defended really well tonight, he’s head and shoulders better than the rest of his defence it’s so obvious to watch.

He’d be perfect for England style, and he’d walk right into our team.

I’m sure Napoli would accept 60-70m they’d be bonkers not too.

Jim Reaper

I think we're starving for a quality, clinical striker as much or more than anything else. How can we expect to achieve anything if we don't have one consistent goal scorer to rely on? Also need tons more creativity in midfield and out wide. Again, we're not getting anywhere if we can't score goals.

ST Jovic or Felix £75m ?
RW Sancho £100m+ (whatever it takes)
Creative CM Bruno Fernandes £50m
Experienced CB Alderweireld £25m
Experienced RB Meunier or Sidibe £25m

Selling Lukaku and some of the deadwood would probably net us at least £75m. So in the neighborhood £200m net spend.
Im sorry id agree with most of that but signing Toby is a mistake. we also can not make do with one midfielder and if we do then it should be a deep lying playmaker or a holding midfielder that can allow Pogba and whoever partners him to relax on the defensive side. Realistically, we need a Matic replacement and a Herrera replacement. If Pogba left we wouldneed to replace all 3. Scott and Fred are bench options. Fernandes is a very good option though. Its hard because we have no idea how much would be accepted or how much we have to spend.

De Ligt or Koulibaly
AWB or Meunier
Rodri, Neves or Rice
B.Fernandes, N'Dombele, Saul or Barella
Sancho, Dembele, Odoi or Lozano
Felix

That would be the list id be looking at. I dont care for cost. Sell anyone who isnt a guarenteed name on the 18 matchday places. Promote youth to fill gaps.

Unrealistic? maybe. That is the ambition and quality of targets we need though and i believe we need 5/6 players asap. CB, RB, 2 CM, RW and the bonus would be felix someone who can play as a 10 or a ST.

Im proberly dreaming but with the club falling further behind and the effect that has on the pitch and off it for the business men. With the power of this club, it should not be beyond reach

Jim Reaper

I disagree.

Look at Pep and City for example. Sure he’s spent a lot of money but he hasn’t splashed tons of money on single players. They’ve spread out the money pretty evenly and just target players who fit what they are looking for and block out the outside noise as they fit right in.

Stones £50m, Sane £45m, Jesus £28m, Gundogan £24m, Mendy £50m, Walker £47m, Silva £45m, Ederson £36m...only player over £50m was Laporte at £58m and Mahrez who was a luxury buy at £61m. What it’s saying is you can find value at “cheaper” price tags (modern football lol) and don’t have to be going for £70m, £80m+ players and leaving you depleted on the other things you need to buy. There’s value to be had out there but you just need to target it and be committed.

...Alexis is a complete flop and his price tag overshadows him. Pogba despite being inconsistent (who isn’t on our team?) is our most talented player who had an amazing season (stats) especially if you consider the slow start when José was in charge - still gets crap because everyone views him as that world record fee footballer. I don’t like the cloud that casts because of it and don’t want anymore of that circus unless for an upcoming phenom like De Light who I would gladly pay over £100m for or possibly Varane below that number. Koulibaly just doesn’t fit with the direction our club is going (resetting/rebuilding) and he’d be no different and get slammed by the media on a daily basis.

Let's instead be like City, spend for “cheaper value”, and target the right fits unless there’s an exception to be had for a young phenom. Fred for £53m is looking quality and looks like he’ll be a regular and reliable. So will Dalot eventually at £19m. Lindelof at £30m looks like a bargain as well. :)
Problem with this is, Transfee fees have gone up since pep signed Stones for example. He would be worth more if that move happens today. Id wagee that if those moves weee made it in this coming window they would all command higher fees apart from maybe Gundogan due to injuries. That trend is only going to rise. Therefore, quality is more expensive in this coming window and its harder to spread the budget and receieve the same quality.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I disagree.

Guardiola had KDB, Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Toure etc already at the club and he still spent £200m on just fullbacks. He wasn't happy with Joe Hart and wanted Bravo as a replacement and got his wish by spending another £16m. He then wasn't happy with Bravo and signed Ederson for £35m. Guardiola has actually spent a ridiculous amount of money. I would love to see us operate like them in the transfer market but we're restricted because we need to make enough money for the six Glazer siblings..

Guardiola shelled out a ridiculous amount of money and has been backed like no other club in England. Spending £200m on just fullbacks is one example, considering he already had at least 4 worldclass players already at his disposal..

The Nani

Guardiola had KDB, Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Toure etc already at the club and he still spent £200m on just fullbacks. He wasn't happy with Joe Hart and wanted Bravo as a replacement and got his wish by spending another £16m. He then wasn't happy with Bravo and signed Ederson for £35m. Guardiola has actually spent a ridiculous amount of money. I would love to see us operate like them in the transfer market but we're restricted because we need to make enough money for the six Glazer siblings..

Guardiola shelled out a ridiculous amount of money and has been backed like no other club in England. Spending £200m on just fullbacks is one example, considering he already had at least 4 worldclass players already at his disposal..
Yeah, annoyingly those plastics got in a quite a few quality players before the market went completely ape.

Jim Reaper

Is Koulibaly better than Skriniar or De Ligt?
Id say he is better than both right now. De Ligt is debatable and he is the potential to be among the best CB's ever if he keeps improving. Better than Skriniar though and i like Skriniar, he would be my third choice maybe. Question marks over his mobility though.

ArjenIsM3

Trying to spread the money in an attempt to plug all gaps will inevitably lead to us bringing in lesser players, which we need to avoid.
Quality over quantity mate. I'd rather have one world class centre back than 4 mediocre CB's
How do you know what the budget is?How do you know we have one and its not just on a per player basis?

Do you realise that the 150m number is likely to be posturing?

We signed players for lots of money, yes. Players that didnt deserve the fee. Now with Koulibaly, he is amongst the best CB's in world football currently. Van Dijk, De Ligt, Varane, Koulibaly etc...they will all command high fees. If you want a player of that calibre then you pay the price. If the club has decided that Koulibaly is the guy then the fee should not matter. Especially to you. It is not coming from your wallet.

I see people saying just get Toby. The guy is on a steep decline now. Just because he is 25m or there abouts...That is not a reason to sign him. Would he improve the defense? yes, for a brief period. Is he as good as Koulibaly? not imo. Koulibaly would also give us more years of service at a higher level.

Lets sign Toby now for 25m and then need to spend around another 100m in 2-3 years to replace him. Unsettling the defense again. Yeah, sounds good. Saves money, right?

Signing players because they are a cheaper option or more marketable than the standout candidate is why we have a squad full of deadweight. You said wrong players, i agree. Most of our signings had better options available and as a club that is the mega brand that it is - the fee should not be an issue. Wages is another matter.

De Ligt would be mine and i suspect most other peoples first choice but Koulibaly would be second and i tend to believe that Napoli would accept a offer of around 100m if a concrete offer was made. Would Liverpool have decided not to sign Van Dijk if they knew what he offered them now but Southampton wanted 15m more?...Id bet that they would throw that extra 15m at him.

Koulibaly, can in my opinon have the same kind of effect for us.
Our budget is reported (so according to the unreliable media) to be 250m. I'd say that's the absolute maximum as I don't think we've ever spent that much. But let's just assume that it's true.

Of course the 150m is an asking price. Of course they are driving up the price. But there were reports that they refused a 100m pound bid from us last year. He definitely won't cost less than that. We don't get players on the cheap. So say he costs us 110m pounds. That leaves us with 140m pounds for the other positions.

At the very least, we need a RB, CM and a RW. Considering we're much weaker in the RB and RW positions than we are in CB, according to your logic surely we'd need world class additions there too then? But we're about 100m short if we do. Sherrinford says we can't plug all gaps because we will have to bring in lesser players. Suv666 says quality over quantity. Ok. So what then? We don't bring in any RW? We leave that gaping hole in our squad and we've another season ahead of us with Lingard as first choice?

Or do we get Manolas in for 25m? Sure, he's not as good as Koulibaly but he'd still be an upgrade over our other CB's. He's the same age as Koulibaly (27) too. We'd have enough money left to plug the remaining gaps with quality players.

In summary:

Koulibaly scenario:

Koulibaly - 110m
Wan-Bissaka (or similar) - 40m
Bruno Fernandes (or similar) - 80m.
20m left, not enough for a decent RW.

Manolas scenario:

Manolas - 25m
Wan Bissaka (or similar) - 40m
Bruno Fernandes (or similar) - 80m
Sancho - 100m
5m left.

Fair enough that you lot rate Koulibaly. I do too (I think he's brilliant actually), but I'd much prefer the Manolas scenario so that we don't go into next season with gaping holes in our squad AGAIN.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I never really understood the concept of adding experienced CBs. It never really worked with us. Considering we've already got Smalling & we've given a long term contract to Jones then I wouldn't mind seeing us add someone young like Joachim Andersen whose basically a Smalling with better ball control and passing ability. That would add much needed inches at the back. Hopefully the Scandinavian duo would develop nicely into two WC CBs.

Thus I wouldn't mind seeing us starting the season with Smalling, Jones, Andersen, Tuanzebe and Lindelof as CBs especially since that would allow us to spend the money elsewhere.

Bestietom

For less than half his price and a much younger player at 21 years old Nikola Milenkovic is the one we should be looking at bringing in. He is one of the best up and coming CB's around. Good in the air and on the ground he is a very good tackler and can carry the ball out of defence.

Already an established international with Serbia, this young man is going to be one of the best. For 40 million he would be a snip

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's worth every cent of the ~€100plus DeLa would demand, for any club in desperate need of massive defensive improvement

ManchesterYoda

432 tackles won, dribbled past 125 times, committed 299 fouls
(50% for defending 1v1 on the ground)
432 headers won, 324 headers lost
(57% for defending in the air, for a player that is 195 cm)

That is why I do not want Kalidou Koulibaly. I don't care how many YT videos he has.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

That is why I do not want Kalidou Koulibaly. I don't care how many YT videos he has.
If that is true, that's not stats for a world class CB.

Onerealunited

I’d rather go for Skrinier or De Ligt instead of using +€100m on Koulibali who I don’t see as the leader we highly need back in the defense. At this point I don’t understand why we are not in for De Ligt. He has everything we are looking for and getting him and would mean us not looking for any defenders for years

Last edited by a moderator:

Schneckerl

Where do you have that stat from?

Champagne Football

I think we'll sign a center-back who is young and showing signs of being a vocal leader at the back. Someone who should go from potential to world class quickly. Joachim Andersen ticks all the boxes

ghagua

what makes you say he is lacking in intelligence?
Clearly saying that because he’s black and even comparing him to Bailly. He’s levels ahead. Could have used Jones but had to do the Bailly comparison.
Stop this shite. I am non white so I would be the last person to have racial motivation when comparing players. 3 of the best United defenders I have seen during my time are black or partly black in Rio, McGrath and Parker. You just need to use your eyes when watching the game to realize the mistakes he makes in a game similar to Bailly. If your eyes are not up to scratch, at least use a few IQ before calling someone a racist.

ghagua

You really need to rethink the shit you say before you hit that 'post reply' button. Just saying
Let's see, you saw the amount he would cost and think he is a superstar right? Not seen him play have you?

Bojan11

Stop this shite. I am non white so I would be the last person to have racial motivation when comparing players. 3 of the best United defenders I have seen during my time are black or partly black in Rio, McGrath and Parker. You just need to use your eyes when watching the game to realize the mistakes he makes in a game similar to Bailly. If your eyes are not up to scratch, at least use a few IQ before calling someone a racist.
Blah blah. He plays nothing like Bailly so maybe you should watch him. You just compared them because they were black, when Jones would have been a better comparison. You made the lazy comparison not me.

ghagua

Blah blah. He plays nothing like Bailly so maybe you should watch him. You just compared them because they were black, when Jones would have been a better comparison. You made the lazy comparison not me.
Whatever. You seem like a person who is trying too hard to show that you are not racist yourself by implying racial motives behind other people's comment when there is no racial motivation. You are not worth my time, so call me whatever you want.

flappyjay

What's the point in buying Koulibaly, who will hit a sweet pass to Fred in midfield.,then Fred would proceed to over hit the pass or feck up his first touch. Or Pogba who will take ten touches before releasing. Our midfielders can't pass a ball we have no right to be trying to get ball playing cb's at this point. Get ball passing midfielders first. During our most recent successful period we had Scholes and Carrick in midfield. Not hustlers and ball winners but passers of the ball. Even Fletcher who was supposed to be the guy who breaks up play is light years ahead of Fred and Matic in terms of passing.

Bojan11

Whatever. You seem like a person who is trying too hard to show that you are not racist yourself by implying racial motives behind other people's comment when there is no racial motivation. You are not worth my time, so call me whatever you want.
So me calling you on your stupid comments makes me racist? How do you spin that one? Stop playing innocent.

ghagua

So me calling you on your stupid comments makes me racist? How do you spin that one? Stop playing innocent.
Maybe you are trying to hide that fact, but I'm actually calling you out for your stupidity, or maybe your lack of IQ which leads you to think there is a racial motive behind something when 2 players are compared.

Bojan11

Maybe you are trying to hide that fact, but I'm actually calling you out for your stupidity, or maybe your lack of IQ which leads you to think there is a racial motive behind something when 2 players are compared.
Lack of IQ? Was I the only who made the suggestion due to your stupid post. The person lacking any sort of brain cell in this case is you. I’m done with your stupid posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.