Kalidou Koulibaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

Very much looking forward to watching him plying his trade in the Prem. I really do believe that he'll be a top signing for them

Idxomer

£33m is nothing in this day and age. And 31 years old is nowhere near the end of a career these days either.
I think he's brilliant and will help to continue your superiority on set pieces at both ends.

TheReligion

Abusive

Very much looking forward to watching him plying his trade in the Prem. I really do believe that he'll be a top signing for them
I think he's brilliant and will help to continue your superiority on set pieces at both ends.
he’s not managed 30 or more league games for over 3 years now. Age catching up with him or just unfortunate?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We paid the same for Varane.

Napoli will be happy but it fills a need for you in the short term.
These days the price for a top class CB seems to start at around £60m. So Varane (if he stays fit) and Koulibaly will both be steals.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
These days the price for a top class CB seems to start at around £60m. So Varane (if he stays fit) and Koulibaly will both be steals.
Huge ifs there!
Thought you were buying Ake for some reason too.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. how would you see Colwill being integrated or would this allow a loan this season?

I’m absolutely not jealous of you signing him in the slightest. Wouldn’t fit our profile. We got a younger player in Varane at the same price. As I said, buying an older player who has played exclusively it Italy at a slower pace is a risk.

It’s a third choice signing really and not someone you’ve been linked with which is why I mention scattergun.

Not sure what the irony is? You’ve been chasing everyone this summer, Dembele, Raphinha, Richarlison, Kounde, De Ligt..

Doesn’t look like you have a clear plan or set targets.
Buying any player is a risk.

As for scattergun can you honestly suggest that since SAF retiring there has been any sort of obvious plan when it comes to Utd signings ? That’s the irony of your comment

As for chasing everyone I think you are taking too much that’s appeared in the press as gospel.

I have no doubt whatsoever some of the names you list have been enquired about but more often than not the clubs keep their targets very much to themselves and yes Chelsea just like most clubs have probably have enquired about quite a number but it really only gets real when an offer is made if. How many of the players you say we have been after we’re the subject of official offers from us ?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I still think koulibally comes ake may not be our option any more. City may ask too much money for him. Just i think any one of them not both. We will look kounde more or quality RWB to play Reece in rcb rotation with chalobah.

TheReligion

Abusive
Buying any player is a risk.

As for scattergun can you honestly suggest that since SAF retiring there has been any sort of obvious plan when it comes to Utd signings ? That’s the irony of your comment

As for chasing everyone I think you are taking too much that’s appeared in the press as gospel.

I have no doubt whatsoever some of the names you list have been enquired about but more often than not the clubs keep their targets very much to themselves and yes Chelsea just like most clubs have probably have enquired about quite a number but it really only gets real when an offer is made if. How many of the players you say we have been after we’re the subject of official offers from us ?
I think you need to look up the meaning of irony as it’s certainly not that! :lol:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

skc_18

That Napoli chairman is a lunatic. Him negotiating with broke ass Barcelona is a match made in heaven.
I still cant believe Napoli did not sell Koulibaly few years back. I am sure people would have paid a lot of money for him in his prime.
Does anyone know if there is any other reason for not selling him few years earlier? Does owner like the player a lot or just stupid. It's just very illogical from a business point of view.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I still cant believe Napoli did not sell Koulibaly few years back. I am sure people would have paid a lot of money for him in his prime.
Does anyone know if there is any other reason for not selling him few years earlier? Does owner like the player a lot or just stupid. It's just very illogical from a business point of view.
I'm sure they could've gotten 80-90M€ for him at some point but if they finally sell him now at 31 for 40M€ with a year left on his deal and have been able to enjoy the player's best years, can you really blame them for not taking the money 3-4 years ago?

Koulibaly would have been incredibly difficult for them to replace so I don't think they mind losing out on 40-50M€ to get many more years out of him. Seemed like the player's been happy to stay as well.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah he was playing 35 each season before that.
He's only 31, just a baby nowadays with modern training and recovery methods. Gone are the days when 31/32 meant you were done.

Look at Thiago Silva, 37 years old and played 32 league games last season (48 in total). That's the first time he's played more than 30 league games since 2011.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he was playing 35 each season before that.
Think it's a fair point - but in part his appearances have been affected by having COVID twice as well as AFCON. Certainly he's no spring chicken and he's unlikely to be as durable as Rudiger (who post-knee injury was an absolute iron man), but I don't think he's likely to be hugely injury-prone.

Also worth pointing out that he turned 31 last month - so on a 3 year deal his contract would end with him aged 33. This is probably the most pedantic thing I've ever posted on this site, but I do think it's noteworthy!

TheReligion

Abusive
He's only 31, just a baby nowadays with modern training and recovery methods. Gone are the days when 31/32 meant you were done.

Look at Thiago Silva, 37 years old and played 32 league games last season (48 in total). That's the first time he's played more than 30 league games since 2011.
Silva was playing next to Rudiger who had an absolute stormer. He was good mind when he settled.

I think it’s safe to say Koulibaly is not in his peak years and as I said he doesn’t play 30 games a season anymore (not sure if there’s been reasons why or if he’s been unlucky)

Stop gap signing.

TheReligion

Abusive
Think it's a fair point - but in part his appearances have been affected by having COVID twice as well as AFCON. Certainly he's no spring chicken and he's unlikely to be as durable as Rudiger (who post-knee injury was an absolute iron man), but I don't think he's likely to be hugely injury-prone.

Also worth pointing out that he turned 31 last month - so on a 3 year deal his contract would end with him aged 33. This is probably the most pedantic thing I've ever posted on this site, but I do think it's noteworthy!
3 year deal is wise. He can be the old head in place of Silva next season and perhaps allow Colwill to slot in if he gets a good loan?

edcunited1878

He's playing in a back 3, he's going to be good for Chelsea as long as he stays fit. They probably need another CB due to their system, but he's an experienced CB and talented.

TheReligion

Abusive
We have plenty of gaps so I have no problem with that.

Long terms signings are all well and good but if we get 2 good seasons out of this guy, awesome.
He's playing in a back 3, he's going to be good for Chelsea as long as he stays fit. They probably need another CB due to their system, but he's an experienced CB and talented.
I do think it’s always a concern bringing in players from the slower paced Serie A especially in their twilight.

He should do okay but I don’t think it’s a signing that causes much concern. De Ligt or Kounde would have given their potential.

Does feel like he’s a back up signing but he’s needed and will do a job I imagine.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
3 year deal is wise. He can be the old head in place of Silva next season and perhaps allow Colwill to slot in if he gets a good loan?
I'm hoping Colwill stays with the first team to be honest. Malang Sarr played far more frequently than I was comfortable with - and as you rightly point out Silva and Koulibaly's minutes should be managed next year. A CB core of Silva, Koulibaly, Ake(?), Chalobah, Colwill, then potentially James for emergencies seems adequate.

I do think it’s always a concern bringing in players from the slower paced Serie A especially in their twilight.

He should do okay but I don’t think it’s a signing that causes much concern. De Ligt or Kounde would have given their potential.

Does feel like he’s a back up signing but he’s needed and will do a job I imagine.
Personally I think De Ligt and Kounde will have to do extremely well to ever get to Koulibaly's level. De Ligt's potential is massive but for me there's no doubt that Koulibaly is a significantly better player in the short term - though again as you say the extent to which he can maintain that level is a question mark.

Infra-red

He isn't that great in air. Screams like a panic buy to me.
He's pretty poor aerially and not as tall as the oft-quoted figure - he's actually c. 187cm (about the same as Eric Bailly, for example).

Anyway, aerial prowess aside, he's a very good CB and a decent signing for Chelsea.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm hoping Colwill stays with the first team to be honest. Malang Sarr played far more frequently than I was comfortable with - and as you rightly point out Silva and Koulibaly's minutes should be managed next year. A CB core of Silva, Koulibaly, Ake(?), Chalobah, Colwill, then potentially James for emergencies seems adequate.

Personally I think De Ligt and Kounde will have to do extremely well to ever get to Koulibaly's level. De Ligt's potential is massive but for me there's no doubt that Koulibaly is a significantly better player in the short term - though again as you say the extent to which he can maintain that level is a question mark.
I think if Colwill can get guaranteed first team minutes to develop then yes keep him. If not then it would be wise to give him another loan to build on last season otherwise he will go stale.

Similar position to United with Garner really. Needs minutes.

TheReligion

Abusive
He isn't that great in air. Screams like a panic buy to me.
He's pretty poor aerially and not as tall as the oft-quoted figure - he's actually c. 187cm (about the same as Eric Bailly, for example).

Anyway, aerial prowess aside, he's a very good CB and a decent signing for Chelsea.
Yet some of the Caf are panicking about Martinez and his height!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think if Colwill can get guaranteed first team minutes to develop then yes keep him. If not then it would be wise to give him another loan to build on last season otherwise he will go stale.

Similar position to United with Garner really. Needs minutes.
Agreed. Chalobah's minutes last season should be the baseline expectation for Colwill this year in my opinion.

Abraxas

Jesus, this guy's value has gone down the toilet. Napoli should have cashed in ages ago.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Yet some of the Caf are panicking about Martinez and his height!
Martinez is legit tiny for a CB, though. Especially a CB in the PL.

Koulibaly isn’t this 6’5” monster that he’s mistakenly portrayed as but he’s still built like a tank.

dinostar77

Expensive for his age. No resale value. But he'll probably be great for chelsea. We should have signed him instead of maguire. But that ship sailed long ago.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Be interesting to see if he lives up to the hype

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Expensive for his age. No resale value. But he'll probably be great for chelsea. We should have signed him instead of maguire. But that ship sailed long ago.
We are not in the stage to look resale value and all. We need defenders who should have the experience and have the ability to play ball from the back. Koulibally tick all the boxes and two footed too.

Will always be expensive because of our situation losing two defenders for free especially rudiger. All knew our situation and we couldn't able to play penny pinching wait and watch game.

In fact I expected lot more money needed to bring him in. But having one year left on deal allowed us to get him for the money quoted.

And again we still not get him though and Barca are trying to stir the pot.Hope we concluded the deal soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.