Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Good player. Good signing.

Meanwhile, our starting midfielder in this position remains McTominay.

Coops73

How do City do it? everybody knows they have billions in the bank but they always get a decent deal. 42m for Philips is a steal.
I suspect it’s 42m to the outside world for ffp or whatever it is these days but back in the office during negotiations a few palms would have been crossed with silver.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah it'll be more around £165m right? Because it's an oil club and all. Let me guess, wages of 10 mill a week off the books?
Nah. it is the Jesus money from Arsenal. Expect the Jesus transfer to be confirmed and announced very soon.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Don’t see it…

Miles behInd Rodri for me.
No I am not saying he is better than rodri but I am fond of players want to take on challenges. He want to step up and I like that attitude. Nothing else. Future only tell it's right or wrong though. But nothing wrong with that.

Ekeke

My honest opinion - this is City "going English".

If he wasnt they wouldnt sign him. But they want to bolster the English core and he's a player who can come in and do that rotationally.

For me he's a 6/10 DM and 6.5/10 passer and wouldnt have been a significant upgrade on Fred and McTom

Pearl.Jam

Thank fvck for that, we’ve enough cack midfielders on our books already without adding another one to the list, he’s painfully average and a Leeds cvnt to boot!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

If he wasnt they wouldnt sign him. But they want to bolster the English core and he's a player who can come in and do that rotationally.

For me he's a 6/10 DM and 6.5/10 passer and wouldnt have been a significant upgrade on Fred and McTom
If sterling is leaving City need a english player to replace him. so it is a no brainer.

Andy_Cole

Good player. Good signing.

Meanwhile, our starting midfielder in this position remains McTominay.
This is my thoughts. It doesn’t annoy me they got Phillips, as I don’t want him. It annoys me they signed a DM better than ours as their sub whilst we’re twiddling our thumbs.

Kopral Jono

Yep, these were the sort of signings we used to make back in our peak days to good success. These days we just haven't a clue.

Castia

How much do you want them to pay 80-100m? 50m for Philips is already over paying for me. I mean if it was United signing him at that price you wouldn't be happy now, would you?

The initial fee is 42m that's a great price he's easily worth that. Looks good for Leeds and England and will no doubt look even better at City.

Dazzmondo

More squad depth for City. Very good signing, very good price, very good player. Leeds are going to struggle a lot without him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Interesting signing. Can see City playing a very different way next season, with Haaland and Philips unable to play the same 'kill them with passes' style as the players they are replacing.

G-manc

Good bit of business by City.

I think he's limited as a footballer but they've obviously not signed him to spray passes around. What he is though is a perfect Fernandinho replacement - can be cynical with his fouling and play centre half at a push.

He needs to send Bielsa a text though cos he was going nowhere as an attacking mid when he arrived.

Rolaholic

He doesn't really help them in Europe but yes a decent Fernandinho replacement domestically

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How feckin dodgy is the deal for the youngster going the other way!? £5m for an 18 year old youngster with 1 year left on his contract and zero first team minutes...

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Sure he is bang average and I agree he is a 6/10 but not a significant upgrade on McTom? Not sure anyone would agree with that.

Heinzesight

Fingers crossed he’s as good for them as his taste in footwear.

So now that’s two England starting XI players warming the City bench.

Okey

Ah what will they do with Rodri? Something something or the other. Smooth operation. Wasn't even in the news yesterday. Of course different rules apply to United.

T_Model101

Were we not linked with a £65M move for him?
These official fees for the players they sign are ludicrous

Abraxas

Don't rate him. Squad depth for City but not a massive difference to the strength of their team for me. They're already ludicrously good with Haaland on top.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't rate him. Squad depth for City but not a massive difference to the strength of their team for me. They're already ludicrously good with Haaland on top.
This. Also doesn't really suit their style and he's definitely no upgrade on Rodri. Rotation player, good for when they have injuries but it's not a deal breaker signing in any way.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
We all know how this ends, spends the next 4 years on the bench before going to some mid table club, then ending up at a championship club.

HookedOnAPhelan

The "rivalry" excuse is bullshit. He went for the money and the easy option. Feck him, let him rot on their bench.

Lee565

Christ, you have the best club in England that have a great defensive midfielder already and City still go out and spend 45 million on a back up defesnive whilst our club didn't even want to sign kamara on a free and haven't even signed anyone let alone a defensive midfielder after losing two midfielders that could be argued were our best options in possession, it's sad that even if we do sign a defensive midfielder we are still likely looking at bloody mctominay as our back up option in that role. That gap between us and City is just getting wider and wider on all levels in terms of the footballing side.

Not signing conte last year is costly mistake, at least we could have planned out our transfer window this summer but instead our number board were still deciding our new manager In April and are predictably fumbling around this transfer window with a manager that can't seem to think outside of recruiting ajax past or present players.

Status
Not open for further replies.