Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Well not really, because according to Bluemoon, suddenly Phillips is twice the player of Rice. :lol: :lol:

Clearly, its not true
Yeah, I was just doing my Paul Merson maths.

Double, double it again and then feck it, just throw an outrageous number on it after that.

Pronewbie

Peep
Interesting signing especially for that kind of fee.. We’ve had quite a few naysayers but I think he would have done well for us. Hopefully he flops at City.

izec

Now that he is at City, great player :)

In all seriousness, he is a good player and would have been a nice player to have here on our weakest position. But would have always been difficult with his Leeds ties, i think we realised this soon in the window that he isnt too keen and City being in as well.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Personally I think he’s shite. Glad City have wasted their money on him as I’m certain he will be a flop. Nowhere near good enough on the ball for a top team.

SeanyC

Personally I think he’s shite. Glad City have wasted their money on him as I’m certain he will be a flop. Nowhere near good enough on the ball for a top team.
Will he get game time quite regularly though? I think he might and under Pep he will do well. Big move in a WC year. I guess the hate for city by Leeds fans is not the same as it is for United or he was planning this move all along.

TrustInJanuzaj

Will he get game time quite regularly though? I think he might and under Pep he will do well. Big move in a WC year. I guess the hate for city by Leeds fans is not the same as it is for United or he was planning this move all along.
I don’t see him playing. He’s another Ake.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Backup for Rodri. Nothing to see here.

But would this move jeopardise his chance for WC though?

TenOuttaTenHag

City can afford to spend £50 million in back ups.

A snip for what they would have spent on Dec Rice. Not a patch on Gundogan.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The saddest part of it is, he goes there and barely even in their top 3 CMs.

If he came to United he'd be one of our top 5 players, and I don't think he's anything special at all.

He'll certainly improve their tactical foul ability, but I'd expect cover for Rodri above all else because if there's player in their team they don't need an upgrade on then Rodri isn't the one.

It's annoying, because Leeds in the PL is fun. It's funny to see them relegated of course, but you'd rather play that game than not. With Phillips and Raphinha off it's basically a resignation imo.

NoLogo

Seems like a good squad depth signing, seems like a sensible move for City. Not sure about Phillips though, this could cost him his starting spot in the national team if he ends up with as few minutes as Aké for example.

Might also be a sign that they have given up on de Jong?

izec

Seems like a good squad depth signing, seems like a sensible move for City. Not sure about Phillips though, this could cost him his starting spot in the national team if he ends up with as few minutes as Aké for example.

They were never in for him

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

To be fair they never need de Jong, but they do lack defensive cover in midfield after Fernandinho is gone.

TenOuttaTenHag

If he came to United he'd be one of our top 5 players, and I don't think he's anything special at all.

He'll certainly improve their tactical foul ability, but I'd expect cover for Rodri above all else because if there's player in their team they don't need an upgrade on then Rodri isn't the one.

It's annoying, because Leeds in the PL is fun. It's funny to see them relegated of course, but you'd rather play that game than not. With Phillips and Raphinha off it's basically a resignation imo.
Was it Rio Ferdinand who advised his life would be not worth living if he went Leeds to United?

Maybe heeded the call.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
To be fair they never need de Jong, but they do lack defensive cover in midfield after Fernandinho is gone.
This. 100%

Must be nice to spend £45m fr a backup. Guess with oil prices at sky high prices, he could be their ball boy if called upon.

From captain of Leeds to backup at city. Only shows the different levels Leeds are at

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Was it Rio Ferdinand who advised his life would be not worth living if he went Leeds to United?

Maybe heeded the call.
Oh don't get me wrong, I never thought Phillips to United was feasible. Just the concept that City can drop £45m on a player who doesn't necessarily improve them whilst we're sat waiting for Christian Eriksen to decide if he fancies United or Brentford :lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Oh don't get me wrong, I never thought Phillips to United was feasible. Just the concept that City can drop £45m on a player who doesn't necessarily improve them whilst we're sat waiting for Christian Eriksen to decide if he fancies United or Brentford :lol:
Tbf to Eriksen it's about moving his family to a new place and away from what the kids grew up in. After his life changing episode, money won't be everything to them anymore.

TrustInJanuzaj

He wouldn’t be one of our top 5 players not even close. Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Varane, Maguire, De Gea, Shaw, VDB are all clear. They have all had spells in their career that Philips can only dream of currently.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ridiculous career choice to turn down other clubs to “play under Pep”. He’s not going to play. It’s like Scott Parker going to Chelsea. He’s just going to waste away on the bench before stepping down a level and reviving his career just as it’s winding down.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ridiculous career choice to turn down other clubs to “play under Pep”. He’s not going to play. It’s like Scott Parker going to Chelsea. He’s just going to waste away on the bench before stepping down a level and reviving his career just as it’s winding down.
That’s just code for “money” isn’t it?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's 27 this year, getting a massive salary increase and guaranteed trophies every season. Easy choice.

Lee565

The worse part about this transfer is that it was bad enough when Phillips was at Leeds that southgate would constantly pick him in England first 11 alongside rice in a conservative midfield and now that he is playing for city there is no chance that southgate will drop him now from that first 11

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If we tried to buy him, we'd have spent the entire Summer on the deal AND we would've paid 50% more.
MCFC's other summer signing is Haaland for around £50M. We'd have paid at least double and spent the entire summer on that deal.
Our transfer negotiation team are abysmal. They ALL need to be fired....and that includes the newish members of staff, who are currently messing up the De Jong transfer. We'll pay a huge price for him, offer him the biggest wage and we'll spend the entire summer negotiating that terrible deal.

Qudos to MCFC. They are well run and it shows in the off season as well as in season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Imagine the unreal banter he could have with Grealish on the bench, though

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Imagine the unreal banter he could have with Grealish on the bench, though
They can compare bank balances and swap their medals for the countless trophies they'll undoubtedly win. Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

Hughie77

He was always going to City, pity its just buggerd up his England duties because he will hardly play. Like Grealish, and before them a load of other English players. Maybe it's to fill there quota of them . Good luck to him any way I wasn't bothered about him at OT . Every time I've seen him he's been average only with Rice at International level he's looked better , that level though is lower than the Premier.

TenOuttaTenHag

He's 27 this year, getting a massive salary increase and guaranteed trophies every season. Easy choice.
Speaking of branch warmers getting (medals) trophies, I often wonder when I see 3rd choice goalies/rarely used subs going tonto on trophy day.

Fair play to them for enjoying the day, but do they really feel they have played a part.

Taking Roy Keane as an example, 1999 CL.
He done the business against Juve to get to the final, as we know, sat it out. He (and Scholes) were said to have felt frauds lifting the trophy. On the basis they didn’t achieve it.

Which was wrong imo. They were the vehicle to the final.
But a player with minutes only, getting an EPL medal. Different story.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Whilst he's not as good as rice, he's clearly a good player. He'll win trophies there and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Skills

Snitch
Where do these terrible takes come from? Definitely don’t watch football.
I watched them, in the same team all of last summer. Declan Rice spent all of it hiding somewhere at LB between Shaw and Maguire, while Phillips was the closest thing England had to a CM.

Dancal

Supports
Footy
The next Ross Barkley or Danny Drinkwater.

Won't feature enough week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.