Kante or Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

Fred is not a DM. Without Fred we would not have won some games. His running and energy alone gets our team going. Matic is our DM.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
If Kante was on our team we'd be second in the league.

Eddy_JukeZ

Fred is not a DM. Without Fred we would not have won some games. His running and energy alone gets our team going. Matic is our DM.
Kane isn't really a DM either.

He can't play as a lone holding midfielder.

Teja

Fred has such a good line splitting forward pass though, beyond the work rate, I love that about him. He's only had like half a season of goodness though and Kante has been doing it for Chelsea, Leicester and France for a while now, so just based on that I'd probably pick Kante.

Canagel

this Kante debate is over and should be put to bed at this point. Fred is the truth

Canagel

maybe we can come back and revisit the debate when Kante starts passing longer than 10 yards for starters. theres a reason why he has been mostly average and exposed in a advanced role for 2 managers that play with the ball

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This season, it's Fred but at their best, Kante is better. However we have to appreciate what we have and Fred has turned into a very good footballer for us

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fred this season > Kante of this season and maybe last season

Kante since he joined PL till 2018 was much better than Fred this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Read a couple of posts “asking” for this. Irony aside, I think this is an interesting question. Would you swap Fred for Kante?

Me: NO
The most pertinent question is what do you think is ironic?

jackal&hyde

Fred is more naturally talented then both Kante and Herrera imo. Needs to keep up the good work and there are a couple of levels he can still reach.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Don't think it's a fair comparison as I actually feel they're quite different players, but Kante has shown this season he may be past his best. Certainly wouldn't swap him for Fred at this stage.
By being injured?

Champagne Football

Herrera. It was a clear choice at beginning, but with Fred improving as he has, tough to call now. I'd still take the Player of Year Herrera....by a slim margin.
Nonsense. Luke Shaw won player of the year when he was half the player he is now. But that still won't win him POTY this season as Fred or Bruno or Maguire or Rashford will win it. He won it because the rest of the team were a car crash that season, and not because he was World class. Fred on current form is twice the player Herrera ever was for us.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
At the his current moment I’d much rather have Fred. He’s turning into a fantastic player and I can’t help but think there’s more improvement to come from him.

He’s bloody brilliant at the minute and he’s having a very consistent season, he’s pretty reliable at the minute. Obviously that can change but I’m not seeing any signs of anything to suggest his current form is a fluke.

Ekeke

Here are our average positions against City.

Fred is in fact very slightly deeper than Matic in this game. Both are deep and spend more time in their own half.

They both play DM, but having Matic next to him and performing like he did against City obviously helps cover Fred's physical and defensive weakness

Here we are against Everton

This time Matic is deeper than Fred, but both are still deep and not pushing past the halfway line on average. Contrast that with Bruno Fernandes and McTominay who are joining the attacking players with their average position.

We usually play with 2 DMs, that was the case last season with Ander and Matic and has continued this season.

Here we are against Watford

Once again Fred and Matic are relatively similar in their average position with Fred very slightly deeper

So there you have it, our last 3 premier league games all show that Fred is in a very similar position to Matic, the same as Ander's average positions showed that he was in a very similar position to Matic last season. 2 DMs

ValenciaRocks

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Fred will have to perform like he has been doing for much more than 3/4 of a season to be in the same bracket as Kante.

Like others have mentioned, they are similar but not quite the same.

I think he excels when he has Matic or McTominay rather than pogba too. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he performs better when Pogba is missing; he can track players down without having to worry too much about what’s behind him

ThinkTank@Cafe

The most pertinent question is what do you think is ironic?
“the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.”

The posts I mentioned were ironic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There isn’t much between them. I can’t understate the difference in what being part of winning teams and being part of a team considered fo be underperforming does for the reputations of individual players though. It’s one of my biggest frustrations with football, the inability to assess a player objectively outside of the context of his team’s success or lack of.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Here are our average positions against City.

Fred is in fact very slightly deeper than Matic in this game. Both are deep and spend more time in their own half.

They both play DM, but having Matic next to him and performing like he did against City obviously helps cover Fred's physical and defensive weakness

Here we are against Everton

This time Matic is deeper than Fred, but both are still deep and not pushing past the halfway line on average. Contrast that with Bruno Fernandes and McTominay who are joining the attacking players with their average position.

We usually play with 2 DMs, that was the case last season with Ander and Matic and has continued this season.

Here we are against Watford

Once again Fred and Matic are relatively similar in their average position with Fred very slightly deeper

So there you have it, our last 3 premier league games all show that Fred is in a very similar position to Matic, the same as Ander's average positions showed that he was in a very similar position to Matic last season. 2 DMs
At risk of being pedantic, Fred is not a defensive midfielder., He is a box to box midfielder.
That's the reason his average position tends to be towards the half way line and doesn't often change despite different opposition.
There's a discernable difference between a defensive mid (Makelele) to a box to box engine (viera)

LInkash

Could Kante be on the decline? Running is such a big part of his game, so losing half a yard of pace due to injury and getting older would make him so much less useful.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Could Kante be on the decline? Running is such a big part of his game, so losing half a yard of pace due to injury and getting older would make him so much less useful.
I think he's been on the decline since last season.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
“the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.”

The posts I mentioned were ironic.
Can you explain how? I’m really not seeing any irony.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Can you explain how? I’m really not seeing any irony.
I re-read the posts I referred to for you, Pexbo. And looks you are right :) It was my initial perception. The posters were actually supporting Fred. Thanks for being so pedantic. Is pedantic a good word?

Skills

Snitch
I'd love to see a midfield two of Kante and Fred in an old school 4-4-2.

Flanked by say a midfielder like De Bruyne or Bernardo Silva on one side, and a Sterling/Mane/Sane/Salah on the other.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I re-read the posts I referred to for you, Pexbo. And looks you are right :) It was my initial perception. The posters were actually supporting Fred. Thanks for being so pedantic. Is pedantic a good word?
It's the perfect word. :)

Ekeke

At risk of being pedantic, Fred is not a defensive midfielder., He is a box to box midfielder.
That's the reason his average position tends to be towards the half way line and doesn't often change despite different opposition.
There's a discernable difference between a defensive mid (Makelele) to a box to box engine (viera)
If that was true his average position would be further forward than a DM. It isnt.

He goes box to box but he does it from a DM position. He goes far forward but he also goes far back, thats why his average position is level with Matic.

Matic also gets forward himself. Sometimes he even gets caught up trying to do too much himself going on a dribble instead of using teamplay.

Strelok

Strange question tbh. They're two very different types of player.

Kante is a natural DM and his best attributes are defensive wise like anticipation, reading the game, acceleration and tackling. Kante is literally a smaller and faster version of Makelélé imo.

While Fred is a natural B2B and his best attributes are more attacking wise like dribbling, technique, forward passing, longshot, finishing. In defensive duties his job is usually chasing the ball rather than to anticipate and intercept the play like a proper DM.

The only thing they have in common is their phenomenal work rate, stamina and both very fast for a midfielder.

Both could work really well together in our current tactic imo. It's rather Kante or Matic I think.

Last edited:

cyril C

Kante and Fred are 2 different style. Me No, because we need someone who can pass and dictate game, and help defensively, hence Fred is a better choice. Swapping Matic for Kante would be a more acceptable choice, but then I won't want Jorginho, too complicated for our style.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The fact that the question is even being asked is a testament to the improvement shown by Fred.

Hopefully that improvement continues.

Goes to show that moving to The Premier League takes time for some players. His confidence is up, he's more comfortable with the pace and expectations of the game and he's playing to his strengths.

Let's see what happens!

Coxy

Kante easily

He's not been himself for a while to be fair, but he's been messed around a fair bit. Fred has been playing well, but he's no Kante.

Falcow

Thank you for holding your impulse calling me moron straight away.

Track record means nothing in football these days. If you are far from being outstanding for couple of seasons, you are not at the top of the game. Kante is not what he was in 2017 or 2018. Fred‘s level, on the other hand, is in stratosphere this season consistenly.
Well said, you are only as good as your last few games. The question was not who was better in their prime, its who is better now. Simple answer = Fred.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
Don't think it's a fair comparison as I actually feel they're quite different players, but Kante has shown this season he may be past his best. Certainly wouldn't swap him for Fred at this stage.
Kante didn't have a pre season this season and he's been in and out of the team all season with injuries, he hasn't really had a chance to build momentum with games
I think he's been on the decline since last season.
He hasn't really had any consistent game time this season due to niggling injuries.
He came into the season with an injury and had no pre season either

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol: I guess it’s a very safe bet now. Longing for gone players like Fellaini, Smalling and Herrera was one of the Ole out agenda pillars.
Smalling & Herrera would still be very useful options for us. Don’t forget we’ve started games this season with Lingard & Pereira in midfield.

youngrell

You only have to look at their stats to see they are completely different players. Kante excels in defensive areas whereas Fred has the upper hand in offensive stats. Would be good together actually.

Imagine the energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.