Karim Benzema | sweating his old fat ass off and no rescue coming from the PL awww diddums

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I just don't see him taking a huge wage cut,also feels like INEOS want us to move away from this
Ye true. Think in the long run we move away from transfers like this. He’s probably the only one available this month though. Even if it’s just until end of season and then that’s when our new structure should be in place but like you said his wages will be an issue.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who can offer Rasmus support then?
We can do another Weghorst kind of signing if what we need is more body up front (relatively cheap and always available, but not very good in quality). I'd rather do that and save the money for yet another 'rebuild' next window. This is season is fecked anyway. We don't even know if the manager is going to stay or not. Or just keep Martial for now.

That is unless Benzema is willing to take a pay cut which is very unlikely. But at his current rate it'd be a waste of money with no future resale value which has been our mistake in the last decade or so. It's tempting but it'd tarnish INEOS reputation right from the start.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Are we all forgetting the level of his wages before we even talk loan fee?
He don’t gonna drop millions PER WEEK off his salary for anyone. Stop doing this to yourselves lads and embrace realism
And his character is poor to say the least, this is not the type that the incoming CEO looks for

Andy_Cole

If we have FFP restrictions in purchasing rather than a salary loan then it’s a no brainer. We’re not cash poor we just have rules to abide to. Get in the best within FFP restrictions, and Benzema may be that.

golden_blunder

Staff
If we have FFP restrictions in purchasing rather than a salary loan then it’s a no brainer. We’re not cash poor we just have rules to abide to. Get in the best within FFP restrictions, and Benzema may be that.
He’s on millions per week. What part is everyone struggling to comprehend?

this is a woody signing, which you all wanted to move away from. If the new structure go down this road we have learnt nothing

OverratedOpinion

Past his best, huge money, notoriously questionable character.

Yeah let's give this type of signing a shot, I'm sure it'll work out great.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Currently on a 3 year deal. I reckon he leaves on a free after some mutual agreement with Al-Itthiad at the end of the season. Could see a couple of those in the summer.

Bobski

Past his best, huge money, notoriously questionable character.

Yeah let's give this type of signing a shot, I'm sure it'll work out great.
I would like to say it is shocking to me that so many seem to be for it, but a huge part of our fanbase seem to never learn, dazzled by the star power.

golden_blunder

Staff
I would like to say it is shocking to me that so many seem to be for it, but a huge part of our fanbase seem to never learn, dazzled by the star power.
A portion of our fanbase seem to live in a FM world where realism doesn’t come into it. Big name, get him signed!
Yet they will be the first to complain when we can’t sell or get rid due to high wages

Bobski

A portion of our fanbase seem to live in a FM world where realism doesn’t come into it. Big name, get him signed!
Yet they will be the first to complain when we can’t sell or get rid due to high wages
And for what purpose would he be signed? Hoping for an FA Cup run, or a late push for a probably unobtainable CL spot? On a huge wage and huge ego that would expect the team to be set up for him, not going to be happy being rotated or subbed.

Utd probably have 17 PL games left this season and a couple of FA Cup matches, Hojlund is starting to show something recently, perfect opportunity to get him consistent games, why bring in a guy like Benzema at this stage. If we want a back up it has to be someone who will actually accept being a back up, if we fighting for trophies then I could see the argument to a point but Sanchez/Schweinsteiger/Zlatan/Ronaldo/Casemiro/Varane/Falcao/Cavani, how many times do people want the same thing.

golden_blunder

Staff
And for what purpose would he be signed? Hoping for an FA Cup run, or a late push for a probably unobtainable CL spot? On a huge wage and huge ego that would expect the team to be set up for him, not going to be happy being rotated or subbed.

Utd probably have 17 PL games left this season and a couple of FA Cup matches, Hojlund is starting to show something recently, perfect opportunity to get him consistent games, why bring in a guy like Benzema at this stage. If we want a back up it has to be someone who will actually accept being a back up, if we fighting for trophies then I could see the argument to a point but Sanchez/Schweinsteiger/Zlatan/Ronaldo/Casemiro/Varane/Falcao/Cavani, how many times do people want the same thing.
Exactly. I should lock the thread really for people’s own mental health

Andy_Cole

He’s on millions per week. What part is everyone struggling to comprehend?

this is a woody signing, which you all wanted to move away from. If the new structure go down this road we have learnt nothing
Yeh but maybe FFP will allow that. What it won’t allow is spending £100m on Toney.

He would also no doubt take a salary cut.

spiriticon

I like him as a player and I think his profile fits what we need up top, but let's just move on from has-beens.

We tried that several times before and it hasn't changed us much.

Irrational.

I find the “X young player will learn from Y experienced superstar hasbeen” a weak argument. It didn’t work when we signed Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo or the other so-called superstars we signed in the twilight of their careers.

Those players are usually just out for one last payday and could not give a toss about developing an up-and-coming novice.

For that reason, I’m out. Do not want Benzema near the club. He already rejected us once before he signed for Real anyway.

Hughes35

Really not a good look for the Saudi League. Players quickly realising they were already rich and it's better to be rich in a nice country than slightly more rich in Saudi.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think we could do a lot worse for 18 months while we fix significant issues with the balance and quality in the rest of the team.

One of the great (only) joys of the last 10 years has been seeing the likes of Ibra and Cavani in a United shirt, and it certainly wasn’t their fault that such poor decisions were made in terms of or coaching and transfer spend.

honirelandboy

It would be a bad start to the Ratcliffe era signing a 36 year old on loan, never mind a guy paid millions per week. Its never going to happen. Your at least looking to pay 2 million of his salary which is never going to happen. We don't need him. Ten Hag needs to adapt the team to accommodate us having one striker. Ten Hag should be able to accommodate some sort of system with Anthony, Rashford, Garnacho, Bruno, Amad, Pellestrii, Mount in a front three without Hojlund if not available but the only thing is I see no style been implemented at United under Ten Hag with our forward line or midfield whatsoever. Have supporters not learned from past mistakes signing these type of players? This is what Ratcliffe is putting a stop to. Hojlund also is starting to score and Benzema will come here expecting to start every game halting Hojlund's development.

tomaldinho1

If Sir Jim wants a statement saying 'nothing has changed', this would be the way to do it. It wouldn't even matter if he did ok, the whole idea if forward planning and avoiding the stop gap signings.

crossy1686

career ending
If Sir Jim wants a statement saying 'nothing has changed', this would be the way to do it. It wouldn't even matter if he did ok, the whole idea if forward planning and avoiding the stop gap signings.
We need a striker, we have no money. How is signing an available, decent striker on loan in January, the same as spending £60m on a Casemiro or Varane? Or even getting an Eriksen on a free?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don’t understand this logic at all. It’s a pretty unique short term opportunity that suits both parties. I don’t think it will happen but if it did it would make sense and I certainly wouldn’t think any less of INEOS as a result.

The article this morning stated they aren’t giving up on the season and want top 4. With martial now pretty much gone having such a quality and experienced stop gap until the summer would benefit us massively. Probably Hojlund too as it eases the pressure on him and can learn from one of the best strikers in the past decade. I don’t see how it isn’t a win win if the terms can be worked out and are reasonable to us.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think we could do a lot worse for 18 months while we fix significant issues with the balance and quality in the rest of the team.

One of the great (only) joys of the last 10 years has been seeing the likes of Ibra and Cavani in a United shirt, and it certainly wasn’t their fault that such poor decisions were made in terms of or coaching and transfer spend.
18 months? He’s 36 years old and the PL is the most physically demanding league in the world

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Are we all forgetting the level of his wages before we even talk loan fee?
He don’t gonna drop millions PER WEEK off his salary for anyone. Stop doing this to yourselves lads and embrace realism
And his character is poor to say the least, this is not the type that the incoming CEO looks for
If he is looking out of there, he obviously knows his wages will take a massive hit. How massive is the question.
I don't think he's stupid enough to expect the same level of compensation at a European club.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
18 months? He’s 36 years old and the PL is the most physically demanding league in the world
I think it would be for 6 months. Anything more I’d be against it but for that length of time I think it’s a very interesting proposal.

If we’re going to loan a striker then get the best one available or don’t bother.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If he can't even cut it in Saudi League, why would people think he would be a success in PL. Forget about him, he is very expensive and getting old.

MegadrivePerson

Was it not bringing in short term, sticking plaster solutions that created the mess that the club is in today?

It would make more sense to give the likes of Hojlund and Garnacho plenty of minutes for the rest of this season than bring in another washed up player at the end of their career.

tomaldinho1

We need a striker, we have no money. How is signing an available, decent striker on loan in January, the same as spending £60m on a Casemiro or Varane? Or even getting an Eriksen on a free?
When you say decent striker, this is a 36 year old guy who was amazing but has been semi retired playing in Saudi. He's hardly known for his conditioning either which made Cavani half decent and he was 3 years younger when he came here. He's not going to be happy being on loan and sitting on the bench so you take game time away from Hojlund, who has just started to look good, it smacks of the classic United of old - buying the name for short term commercial gain. You also make a slow team even slower.

I don’t understand this logic at all. It’s a pretty unique short term opportunity that suits both parties. I don’t think it will happen but if it did it would make sense and I certainly wouldn’t think any less of INEOS as a result.

The article this morning stated they aren’t giving up on the season and want top 4. With martial now pretty much gone having such a quality and experienced stop gap until the summer would benefit us massively. Probably Hojlund too as it eases the pressure on him and can learn from one of the best strikers in the past decade. I don’t see how it isn’t a win win if the terms can be worked out and are reasonable to us.
What can Hojlund learn from Benzema in reality in such a short space of time? He's not exactly known as a model professional (multiple managers have called him lazy) and their game couldn't be more different. I would kind of understand what you are saying if we were signing an early thirties Ibra, Cavani, Drogba player for a swansong because there are big crossovers in how they play. What you're advocating for is limiting Hojlund's game time with the classic United idea of 'this one signing will turn it all around'. He's 36! Even if he came and was ok, surely we want a bit more long term thinking now. As for the article...I mean, come on, what else would they have said? 'Ratcliffe happy to write off season for greater good', 'Sir Jim not fussed about top four'?

Status
Not open for further replies.