Keir Starmer Labour Leader

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Are Labour offering anything anymore? It's unusual in just how many of their promises they've abandoned before winning office.
This is the issue some are missing I think. In his efforts to be bullet proof to Tory/ right wing media talking points, he offers almost nothing, except slightly less culture wars and slightly less corruption.

Which makes a lot of people shrug their shoulders and think what's the point?

Raven

This is the issue some are missing I think. In his efforts to be bullet proof to Tory/ right wing media talking points, he offers almost nothing, except slightly less culture wars and slightly less corruption.

Which makes a lot of people shrug their shoulders and think what's the point?
I think this was always his plan, this isn't a byproduct.

Tyrion

I think this was always his plan, this isn't a byproduct.
It definitely seems like it. I just think its a bad plan. Even just 1 or 2 things would give some carrot to voters. Instead it's like he's completely stopped appealing to anyone to the left of Theresa May.

Gavinb33

Question being, do you think the Tories could sink any lower in polling? They were at 14% in one poll I read. That's where the Lib Dems were once upon a time and everyone laughed about how with fptp they were an irrelevancy. Labour is on course for a blowout election if those numbers (say 20% for the Tories instead) hold and I don't see how they won't.

They should be more aspirational (Thatcher irony) in their declared position given the gap but then they might say they're threading a fine line between letting the Tories implode and not being seen to be "left wing" in a propagandized, or traumatized, soon to be post-Tory Britain.
I mean polling a certain way in advance of an election no one knows is happening means not that much imo, the Tory middle ground will always tighten up when it comes to nut cutting time they always do

Raven

It definitely seems like it. I just think its a bad plan. Even just 1 or 2 things would give some carrot to voters. Instead it's like he's completely stopped appealing to anyone to the left of Theresa May.
Yeah but his goal is to remove the left from relevance and completely disenfranchise us, so far he's delivering on that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This is uniformly the most toxic thread on the CAF at the moment. People who otherwise I reckon hold many overlapping views (other than nickm, who seems to revel in winding people up with how he talks) end up sniping at each other nonstop, in increasingly personal ways.
It is, and the only positive aspect of this thread is it tends to keep the worst of the bickering and name calling out of the Westminster politics thread.

nickm

This is uniformly the most toxic thread on the CAF at the moment. People who otherwise I reckon hold many overlapping views (other than nickm, who seems to revel in winding people up with how he talks) end up sniping at each other nonstop, in increasingly personal ways.
It's not a deliberate wind up. I cannot stand groupthink, that is all, and by god this forum reeks of it sometimes.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's not a deliberate wind up. I cannot stand groupthink, that is all, and by god this forum reeks of it sometimes.
So you hate all political parties? Isn't politics literally just lots of different groupthink?

redcucumber

'Simply wrong': Labour reject EU offer of 'free movement for under-30s'

Is there a good reason as to why Labour aren't on board with this? Seems like an easy win to get young people onside, or are they are assuming young people will vote for them no matter what just cos?

Ibi Dreams

Is there a good reason as to why Labour aren't on board with this? Seems like an easy win to get young people onside, or are they are assuming young people will vote for them no matter what just cos?
Just absolutely terrified of doing anything that might rock the boat even slightly, probably.

Haven't thought a lot about it, but if it did happen I'm sure you'd get an amplified contingent of bitter people who are angry because Brexit means Brexit and they hate anyone getting anything they don't get themselves

Kaos

Just gotta wait for that pivot once they're in power.

Or something.