Keir Starmer Labour Leader

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah not knowing Harry Kane is odd bit. Tbh I was hoping he would say someone like Rooney or Gary Lineker.

Oh it would bring negative press, if Starmer said he isn't a fan(Unpatriotic lefty etc). Football is odd in that it's still seen as a game for the working class but it's constantly getting more expensive. I'm always reminded of the stat that the average United season holder is around 50 years old(I think it's the same for most clubs).
On another note, and in another thread, we need to talk about Blue Velvet and Frank Booth.

neverdie

it is weird that politicians have to pretend to like football. and it almost never convinces when they do pretend. some of them like football, some of them don't. shouldn't be a big deal, really.

Maticmaker

So to be clear your argument is Corbyn should expect a level of loyalty to him as leader he never showed to any of his leaders.
True, Jeremy rebelled against almost every Labour party leader for years. Then one day like Dorothy he 'clicked' his heels and found himself in the land of Oz... as leader!

Fluctuation0161

I don't know about that but Corbyn's inability to beat Johnson was definitely down to Corbyn.
That's a totally different subject. A weak and transparent attempt to change the subject, almost Truss-esque. :)

My point stands. The Tories have imploded and any Labour leader would be ahead in the polls, from Miliband to Starmer. Even your favourite, Corbyn.

largelyworried

Not sure about that. He's preferable to Truss, a but I wouldn't go as far to say the left "like" him.
You can definitely read the sentence that way, but its not Starmer saying "the left like me". Its the public saying "Starmer is left wing, like me".

largelyworried

For those of us who don't know who or what a Sam Tarry is, is that good or bad?
He was parachuted into the constituency by the left of the party, having worked on Corbyns leadership campaign. He'd already been parachuted into a seat in Hull but lost the selection battle in 2017.

The guy who was favourite was a local councillor and lived in the area. The night before the selection vote an accusation of sexual misconduct was released against Athwal and he was taken off the list. Tarry then won and became an MP. All sexual misconduct charges were later dropped and he was fully cleared.

Needless to say some people felt it was a stitch up. Athwal is to the right of the party by all accounts. Given that it was the left of the party that wanted stronger deselection rules in order to get rid of people from the right, it's ironic how this situation has panned out.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He was parachuted into the constituency by the left of the party, having worked on Corbyns leadership campaign. He'd already been parachuted into a seat in Hull but lost the selection battle in 2017.

The guy who was favourite was a local councillor and lived in the area. The night before the selection vote an accusation of sexual misconduct was released against Athwal and he was taken off the list. Tarry then won and became an MP. All sexual misconduct charges were later dropped and he was fully cleared.

Needless to say some people felt it was a stitch up. Athwal is to the right of the party by all accounts. Given that it was the left of the party that wanted stronger deselection rules in order to get rid of people from the right, it's ironic how this situation has panned out.
So in summary:
  • Tosser gets what he deserves
  • Tosser replaced by different but possible even bigger tosser
?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Sounds like the left picked the wrong tosser to back in the first place. Who would have guessed?

Maticmaker

Needless to say some people felt it was a stitch up.
And a few more will be coming up no doubt!

In the old Saxon battle formations, (e.g., Shield Wall formation), the man to your left had to cover your flank...you had to trust him with your life, somebody obviously didn't trust Sam in the upcoming GE battle. ;)

ZupZup

Labour being Labour.
Apparently, Labour are going with the fact that he wasn’t allowed to stand because as a councillor he abstained on a vote about adopting the IHRA definition of antisemitism.

Pathetic.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Sounds like the left picked the wrong tosser to back in the first place. Who would have guessed?
They backed a bloke in my local area for councillor elections. Notorious for running businesses into the ground and refusing to pay his staff

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Time for another party
There's going to have to be cuts no matter who comes into power to be honest. I've accepted that as the reality. The big difference is that once things become stable again I expect Labour to improve public services and the state safety net, whereas the Tories have shown they'll just keep them at whatever fecked level they drove them to.

I also expect them to help everyday people during this difficult time and not billionaire businesses like the lizard people.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There's going to have to be cuts no matter who comes into power to be honest. I've accepted that as the reality. The big difference is that once things become stable again I expect Labour to improve public services and the state safety net, whereas the Tories have shown they'll just keep them at whatever fecked level they drove them to.

I also expect them to help everyday people during this difficult time and not billionaire businesses like the lizard people.
You're dangerously optimistic for a Scotsman.

Sweet Square

Isn’t the last decade and more a good counter argument against this. Cutting social services and welfare doesn’t produce stable politics.

I get the Corbyn plan of borrowing is over now due the conditions of the economy(Among many other factors) but like accepting David Cameron wearing a red tie seems like a very shite alternative.

Also for your own sanity don’t google what Rachel Reeves thinks about people on benefits

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Isn’t the last decade and more a good counter argument against this. Cutting social services and welfare doesn’t produce stable politics.

I get Corbyn plan of borrowing is over now due the conditions of the economy(Among many other factors) but like accepting David Cameron wearing a red tie seems like a very shite alternative.

Also for your own sanity don’t google what Rachel Reeves thinks about people on benefits
The thing is, the question of cuts versus investment is not even some kind of left-wing idea. There are plenty of orthodox economists and centre-left economists who have explained how and why it can work. If Labour get into power and pursue austerity it will be because of politics, not economics.

Mariana Mazzucato could be a good example of this point of view: https://socialeurope.eu/toward-a-progressive-economic-agenda

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I get the Corbyn plan of borrowing is over now due the conditions of the economy(Among many other factors) but like accepting David Cameron wearing a red tie seems like a very shite alternative.

I was going to highlight this point because I knew it would crop up but couldn't be arsed because I had ice cream at the time... So my counter point is this;

The Tories never stopped Austerity. They used it as a prop to strip national and public services, so they were never going to build it back up no matter how much the economy improved. Labour will have to balance realistic borrowing/spending in an equitable financial situation and improve it when the growth follows, otherwise they'll be fecked (ie they can say goodbye to Union donations like mine).

Starmer isn't the ideal candidate for me - Corbyn always will be. But I appreciate that Starmer is an intelligent, forceful presence in the Labour party who isn't nearly half the cnut he's protrayed to be. Plus if he has people like Cooper and Miliband around him in cabinet roles (and the fecking whip is returned to Corbyn if he wants it - come on, enough is enough) then I'd trust Labour to do their duty to the country more than the insular, silver spooned Tory cnuts who will hopefully be in third place to my trusted SNP party*.

*Which would be good for Britain as they're generally progressive and liberal and would definitely highlight UK wide issues instead of going on about independence all of the time. They stand for more than nationalism, you plebs. I wouldn't vote for them if they didn't since I'm British first and Scottish second. Learn to research instead of repeating Daily Mail shite. Ok I'm done, goodnight. That means you too, Sweet Square. I can't remember if you're from Dunfy or Glasgow but either way you're still a cnut because I'm from the proper East and 'mon Gogsy Brown...

Last edited:

Dobba

I was going to highlight this point because I knew it would crop up but couldn't be arsed because I had ice cream at the time... So my counter point is this;

The Tories never stopped Austerity. They used it as a prop to strip national and public services, so they were never going to build it back up no matter how much the economy improved. Labour will have to balance realistic borrowing/spending in an equitable financial situation and improve it when the growth follows, otherwise they'll be fecked (ie they can say goodbye to Union donations like mine).

Starmer isn't the ideal candidate for me - Corbyn always will be. But I appreciate that Starmer is an intelligent, forceful presence in the Labour party who isn't nearly half the cnut he's protrayed to be. Plus if he has people like Cooper and Miliband around him in cabinet roles (and the fecking whip is returned to Corbyn if he wants it - come on, enough is enough) then I'd trust Labour to do their duty to the country more than the insular, silver spooned Tory cnuts who will hopefully be in third place to my trusted SNP party*.

*Which would be good for Britain as they're generally progressive and liberal and would definitely highlight UK wide issues instead of going on about independence all of the time. They stand for more than nationalism, you plebs. I wouldn't vote for them if they didn't since I'm British first and Scottish second. Learn to research instead of repeating Daily Mail shite. Ok I'm done, goodnight. That means you too, Sweet Square. I can't remember if you're from Dunfy or Glasgow but either way you're still a cnut because I'm from the proper East and 'mon Gogsy Brown...
Yvette 'Work Capability Assessments' Cooper in the Cabinet.

Yeah, if it wasn't a pass already, it definitely would be now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yvette 'Work Capability Assessments' Cooper in the Cabinet.

Yeah, if it wasn't a pass already, it definitely would be now.
A decision she's admitted was wrong. I wouldn't have her near the DWP anyway (everyone could see that ATOS were bastards a mile off) but the point is she's a better politician than some of the current crop who we see in the Tory cabinets and that's what Labour need right now; people who will attract the floating voters compared to folk like Suella "I'll just copy/paste lines from the MAGA playbook" Braverman.

What would be your preferred party going into an election?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The thing is, the question of cuts versus investment is not even some kind of left-wing idea. There are plenty of orthodox economists and centre-left economists who have explained how and why it can work. If Labour get into power and pursue austerity it will be because of politics, not economics.

Mariana Mazzucato could be a good example of this point of view: https://socialeurope.eu/toward-a-progressive-economic-agenda
What she's saying is very vague and she's quite jargon-heavy too. Agree with her on the applying conditionality to government support and loans etc...though.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

If I'm not mistaken, they were fairly pathetic in their stance towards the rail strikes too.